ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#1421 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:12 am

Mylie10 wrote:And our draft pick changed priorities. And if Klay wasn’t injured, I believe we were a legit shot at Ibaka.

I think Wanamaker is an under rated really good signing when you factor in the catch and shoot threes and his three point shooting....on top of good defense.

The Bazemore signing makes sense from a chemistry and playmaking standpoint. He used to be a good defender, but not so much anymore.

If we do anything else, I’d like Robinson back for more wing depth.

But I personally don’t think we need another big man and so far it doesn’t seem to have been a priority with the front office after getting wiseman either.

Evan Turner (if he'll take a discount), GR3, Batum (if he's engaged), Moore, Harrison are interesting to me.
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#1422 » by tal57 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:35 am

Mylie10 wrote:And our draft pick changed priorities. And if Klay wasn’t injured, I believe we were a legit shot at Ibaka.

I think Wanamaker is an under rated really good signing when you factor in the catch and shoot threes and his three point shooting....on top of good defense.

The Bazemore signing makes sense from a chemistry and playmaking standpoint. He used to be a good defender, but not so much anymore.

But I personally don’t think we need another big man and so far it doesn’t seem to have been a priority with the front office after getting wiseman either.

Completely agree with the changed priorities. Not in terms of the picks per se, but I am certain the TPE usage may have been different. I believe they were looking at the bigs to ease up Wiseman into the league. And I think the biggest reason they don't trade for Oubre Jr. with Klay healthy is Oubre blocking the trade due to the lack of minutes he would have desired in the contract year. Which probably could have kept the TPE to bring Ibaka here. Bringing Wanamaker and Bazemore on the min doesn't change. So yes, that would have been lights out better team, oh well. Let's see what else they have up their sleeve and what will happen.
wupuck
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#1423 » by wupuck » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:47 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Banes gone to Raptors after they lost Gasol.

So...Wannamaker...Bazemore...(strictly FA signins)...missing out on Ibaka, Gasol, Banes...pretty poor showing SO FAR by the Warriors.

I think this is more a case that the Dubs are no longer considered a destination. Core is getting older even if they're still in their prime but 1/3 of it is on the shelf again for a year. No real chance at a championship.

Lets not forget Gasol was originally w/ the lakers before and they just won a championship. Dubs do need another big man.
Ilovethebay
Senior
And1: 166

Post#1424 » by Ilovethebay » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:50 am

cdubbz wrote:screw it lets get Hassan Whiteside babyyyy!!!!

The thought occurred to me as well. I know he's a head case but as a one year deal it MIGHT be worth it. With our lack of shooting we will need to win the rebound battle on most nights to stay competitive. Heck, I'd even Cousins a look. We have to reinvent ourselves a little this year. Gone are the days where we could just shoot teams out of the game.
TinoDubs
Junior
And1: 45

Post#1425 » by TinoDubs » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:19 am

wupuck wrote:

So...Wannamaker...Bazemore...(strictly FA signins)...missing out on Ibaka, Gasol, Banes...pretty poor showing SO FAR by the Warriors.

I think this is more a case that the Dubs are no longer considered a destination. Core is getting older even if they're still in their prime but 1/3 of it is on the shelf again for a year. No real chance at a championship.

Lets not forget Gasol was originally w/ the lakers before and they just won a championship. Dubs do need another big man. Suddenly Jabari Parker isn't looking that bad.

To Dray and all the fans who said that we don't need KD to win. Look at us now, did Curry ever recruit or lure anyone to the Dubs other than KD? I don't count David West, Spurs was his first choice.
TrueFan420
Senior
And1: 431

Post#1426 » by TrueFan420 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:11 am

TinoDubs wrote:
wupuck wrote:

Lets not forget Gasol was originally w/ the lakers before and they just won a championship. Dubs do need another big man. Suddenly Jabari Parker isn't looking that bad.

To Dray and all the fans who said that we don't need KD to win. Look at us now, did Curry ever recruit or lure anyone to the Dubs other than KD? I don't count David West, Spurs was his first choice.

Curry didn’t recruit KD. It was Dray. Curry spoke to KD before he joined but I wouldn’t consider his role recruiting. Just that he didn’t care about anything g over than winning.
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#1427 » by InWestWeTrust » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:20 am

TinoDubs wrote:
wupuck wrote:

And yeah Green recruited KD
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 185

Post#1428 » by thunderdunk » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:10 pm

If the Lakers stay healthy, they win the title this year hands down. That said, is JaVale a possibility for a trade? I'd rather risk on him than on Cousins.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#1429 » by cdubbz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:38 pm

Ilovethebay wrote:

The thought occurred to me as well. I know he's a head case but as a one year deal it MIGHT be worth it. With our lack of shooting we will need to win the rebound battle on most nights to stay competitive. Heck, I'd even Cousins a look. We have to reinvent ourselves a little this year. Gone are the days where we could just shoot teams out of the game.

The 'headcase' stuff is overrated. I watched him with the Blazers last year and there were no problems. His interior defense is still good and offensive players feel his presence when driving. I'd use the MLE on him to balance out our wings and bigs
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1430 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:56 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Ilovethebay wrote:

The 'headcase' stuff is overrated. I watched him with the Blazers last year and there were no problems. His interior defense is still good and offensive players feel his presence when driving. I'd use the MLE on him to balance out our wings and bigs

I'm not sure it's over-rated. At least in the past he would pout and disappear for sometimes games at a time. He also stat hunted a lot to the detriment of his team. He also occasionally has incredible dominant games.
Ilovethebay
Senior
And1: 166

Post#1431 » by Ilovethebay » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
Ilovethebay wrote:

I'm not sure it's over-rated. At least in the past he would pout and disappear for sometimes games at a time. He also stat hunted a lot to the detriment of his team. He also occasionally has incredible dominant games.

He’s a very polarizing player for sure. The only reason I personally brought it up is because we need to look for advantages wherever we can. We used to beat people because we would outscore their backcourt handily. Now we have to look for an advantage where we have seldom had one in the past and that’s at the center position. Gone are the days where our big three and our bench would lead us to victories. If we could sign a guy like him it would give us an edge in the rebounding and shot blocking part of the game. He’s gonna stat chase but we need what he provides.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#1432 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

Evan Turner (if he'll take a discount), GR3, Batum (if he's engaged), Moore, Harrison are interesting to me.

I like this list, though I think Moore was signed (by Phoenix), and I don't know if Batum has anything left of not. My favorite of these is GR3 (no surprise) due to need for wings who can shoot, but Turner's versatility and playmaking could add something we need more of as well.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach

Post#1433 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:10 pm

tal57 wrote:

Completely agree with the changed priorities. Not in terms of the picks per se, but I am certain the TPE usage may have been different. I believe they were looking at the bigs to ease up Wiseman into the league. And I think the biggest reason they don't trade for Oubre Jr. with Klay healthy is Oubre blocking the trade due to the lack of minutes he would have desired in the contract year. Which probably could have kept the TPE to bring Ibaka here. Bringing Wanamaker and Bazemore on the min doesn't change. So yes, that would have been lights out better team, oh well. Let's see what else they have up their sleeve and what will happen.

1. Oubre couldn't have blocked the trade. He didn't have a no-trade clause (there's only ~5 players or so in the league that do).
2. Ibaka was a free agent, so he could not be acquired via the TPE. (This has been covered in approximately 7,500 threads on this board.) The most money we could have offered him is the taxpayer's MLE, or $5.7M, which probably wouldn't have been enough to get it done.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#1434 » by SF_Warriors » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:37 pm

I wouldnt mind throwing out a flier on batum. He was a guy I liked for a while before injuries derailed his career. I still think he can contribute off the bench and he can bring some elements that iguodala brought. Turner is another guy who I would look into. He had some moments in the playoffs with boston IIRC. Basically, we need to get at least one more rotation wing/guard.
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#1435 » by tal57 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:52 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
tal57 wrote:

1. Oubre couldn't have blocked the trade. He didn't have a no-trade clause (there's only ~5 players or so in the league that do).
2. Ibaka was a free agent, so he could not be acquired via the TPE. (This has been covered in approximately 7,500 threads on this board.) The most money we could have offered him is the taxpayer's MLE, or $5.7M, which probably wouldn't have been enough to get it done.

My bad on Ibaka. For some reason I thought he was under contract. Either way, it doesn't change the subject that if Klay was healthy they could have used TPE on someone else substantially adding to the team.
When I wrote about Oubre Jr. "blocking" the trade, I haven't meant literally. He would have balked at the trade by simply letting the dubs know he doesn't want to be here (simply due to lack of playing time in the contract year). I doubt the Warriors would have traded for a player who expressed he doesn't want to come here.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1436 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:13 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
tal57 wrote:

Oubre can't block a trade but he can make it a problem for the team he's going to.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#1437 » by The-Power » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 pm

I'd like us to get our hands on a wing that can shoot but none of the players out there are good enough to make or break our season.

I'm happy to wait with using the DPE to see what can be had later this season – when we'll have a better idea of where we stand and what we're missing – and while I'd like to get GRIII, for instance, for the vet min or what remains of the MLE, it's not as important to our season as some of you appear to believe. If we're not good enough now, we're not going to be good enough with that addition.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#1438 » by The-Power » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Oubre can't block a trade but he can make it a problem for the team he's going to.

Again, what would he do if the team trades for him in his contract year? He would have no other option but to play as well as he can in the minutes he's given if he wants to get paid. Not to mention that even off the bench he could have averaged 30+ MPG. Either way, it's a moot point now.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1439 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 pm

The-Power wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:Oubre can't block a trade but he can make it a problem for the team he's going to.

Again, what would he do if the team trades for him in his contract year? He would have no other option but to play as well as he can in the minutes he's given if he wants to get paid. Not to mention that even off the bench he could have averaged 30+ MPG. Either way, it's a moot point now.

Pretty much. He can make it known which makes things awkward.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach

Post#1440 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:12 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
tal57 wrote:

Oubre can't block a trade but he can make it a problem for the team he's going to.

If Klay was healthy, and Oubre was traded to us, we'd undoubtably have been a title contender. He seems to be a smart guy from what I'm seeing in his interviews, and a smart guy would know that being a key contributor on a title contender is probably going to help his value more than getting 6 more minutes and 5 empty points/game somewhere else.

We're all speculating, but the argument of "he wouldn't want to join a title contender because he might not be the featured guy in a contract year" seems flawed to me. Ginobili did pretty well coming off the bench, and GM's want winners these days, more than they like guys who get points on non-contenders.

Return to Golden State Warriors