ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

User avatar
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Starter
Posts: 2,101
And1: 153
Joined: Jul 14, 2006

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#961 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:33 pm

Reggie Jackson (Unrestricted Free Agent) is my guy for backup PG/combo guard.

Solid 3 pt shooter (Percentage remained above 35% the last 3-4 seasons) and free throw shooter (aka reliable at 86% average his entire career, thus far). Pick-n-pop and Pick-n-roller. Likes to be aggressive and attack the rim. Assist/TO ratio isn't too shabby (Looking for lobs or slashers who can squeeze through defenders). 7-foot wing span for a 6'3" guard. Reminds me a lot like Jarret Jack.



I'll take him if we can offer him and that he's willing to accept the MLE ($6 mil, roughly) for a chance to play for a re-tooled championship team. He'll get plenty of minutes as we look to rest Curry and watch Klay's minutes, as well.
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 10,736
And1: 3,722
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#962 » by wco81 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 8:56 pm

If the Clippers win, they may try to keep the roster, including many of the role players, since Kawhi and PG13 can both opt out in the summer of 2021. They both have player options for the 2021-22 season.

Ballmer is loaded so he can pay any luxury taxes -- he paid over $100 million for the old Forum so that the previous owner wouldn't get in the way of his new arena.
Scoots1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,795
And1: 223
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#963 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:50 pm

When did 35% become "solid"? For me 35% is maybe "barely adequate". That said, this year he's hitting .400 on almost 5 a game which I would say IS solid.
User avatar
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Starter
Posts: 2,101
And1: 153
Joined: Jul 14, 2006

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#964 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Wed Aug 5, 2020 8:35 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:When did 35% become "solid"? For me 35% is maybe "barely adequate". That said, this year he's hitting .400 on almost 5 a game which I would say IS solid.


I did say "remained above 35%," no? I guess if you average his 3pt percentage in the last 4 season (including this season), it does average about 36%. Guess I'm using last decade's standards where 35% is like respectable. But, obviously, high 30s/low 40s is considered the benchmark these days.

But, seems to have improved his percentage and consistency, thus far.
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 10,736
And1: 3,722
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#965 » by wco81 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 6:21 pm

Grizzlies have lost all this bubble games and now seem likely to have to at least play extra games to get the last playoffs slot.

They’re struggling for production.

Josh Jackson, who was discussed in this thread as a possible cheap free agent pickup, has lost minutes steadily and now Grayson Allen gets minutes ahead of him.

Jackson did have a good stretch of games in Feb and March before the shutdown but has apparently fallen out of favor.

Grizzlies probably won’t keep him, though they need perimeter help.

They’re on the hook for Winslow for at least another year and then a club option at $13 million the following year.

They could try to shed Winslow’s contract though he might be an attractive target with essentially 1 year at $13 million guaranteed.

If they can’t move Winslow, they’re probably not going to bother trying to keep Jackson.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
Posts: 10,658
And1: 1,883
Joined: May 28, 2004

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#966 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Aug 9, 2020 10:44 pm

Two guys that would make the Warriors a championship team...JJ Reddick and Marc Gasol.
Can you imagine Curry, JJ Redick, Klay, Wiggins, Green in a small line up! :) :) :)

NO idea how Warriors would get these two guys....but I Imagine it would be sending draft picks in a resign and trade deal with the other team?
Looking forward to 2073....bye bye pouting moody Durant...hello again the 73 win style of hoops!
GQ Hot Dog
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,701
And1: 3,739
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#967 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Aug 9, 2020 10:53 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Two guys that would make the Warriors a championship team...JJ Reddick and Marc Gasol.
Can you imagine Curry, JJ Redick, Klay, Wiggins, Green in a small line up! :) :) :)

NO idea how Warriors would get these two guys....but I Imagine it would be sending draft picks in a resign and trade deal with the other team?


Sign and trades cripple us because of the hard cap. Gasol would have to sign for our MLE. Reddick is under contract next season and I can't see NOP wanting to give him to us for financial reasons unless they had a max contract FA they wanted to sign.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
vetmin
Sophomore
Posts: 117
And1: 31
Joined: Mar 12, 2020

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#968 » by vetmin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:15 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Two guys that would make the Warriors a championship team...JJ Reddick and Marc Gasol.
Can you imagine Curry, JJ Redick, Klay, Wiggins, Green in a small line up! :) :) :)

NO idea how Warriors would get these two guys....but I Imagine it would be sending draft picks in a resign and trade deal with the other team?

Contract stuff aside, that small ball lineup would get cooked constantly by opposing offenses


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShayDee
Junior
Posts: 372
And1: 67
Joined: Mar 30, 2020
     

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#969 » by ShayDee » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:43 am

I can't believe we didn't get more for GR3 and Burks.
Scoots1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,795
And1: 223
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#970 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:34 am

ShayDee wrote:I can't believe we didn't get more for GR3 and Burks.


Everyone knew they were going to be moved that day. No leverage.
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 10,736
And1: 3,722
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#971 » by wco81 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:29 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
ShayDee wrote:I can't believe we didn't get more for GR3 and Burks.


Everyone knew they were going to be moved that day. No leverage.



Remind me what were the reasons?

Did it provide some cap reliefs?

Were they playing too well?
xdrta+
Analyst
Posts: 3,617
And1: 2,511
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#972 » by xdrta+ » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:57 am

wco81 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
ShayDee wrote:I can't believe we didn't get more for GR3 and Burks.


Everyone knew they were going to be moved that day. No leverage.



Remind me what were the reasons?

Did it provide some cap reliefs?

Were they playing too well?


Cap relief, yes. There wasn't much market for them, but aside from that, the Warriors were pulling out all the stops to get under the tax line and avoid the repeater tax.
GQ Hot Dog
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,701
And1: 3,739
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#973 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:58 am

wco81 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
ShayDee wrote:I can't believe we didn't get more for GR3 and Burks.


Everyone knew they were going to be moved that day. No leverage.



Remind me what were the reasons?

Did it provide some cap reliefs?

Were they playing too well?


Huge cap relief. We got out from under their salary and under the luxury tax threshold so that the repeater tax wouldn't trigger again. It also gave us space under the apron that allowed us to sign Chriss, Lee, Bowman and Mulder.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 10,736
And1: 3,722
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#974 » by wco81 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:12 am

OK, figured. Let's hope they can find a couple of productive vets at comparable salaries.

I would not want to rely only on Poole or even Paschall or the rookies they draft.
Scoots1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,795
And1: 223
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#975 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:53 pm

wco81 wrote:OK, figured. Let's hope they can find a couple of productive vets at comparable salaries.

I would not want to rely only on Poole or even Paschall or the rookies they draft.


It's entirely possible one or both come back.
Warriors Analyst
Veteran
Posts: 2,876
And1: 839
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#976 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:02 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
wco81 wrote:OK, figured. Let's hope they can find a couple of productive vets at comparable salaries.

I would not want to rely only on Poole or even Paschall or the rookies they draft.


It's entirely possible one or both come back.



GRII basically hasn't played in the bubble until Embiid went down in the last game. You'd have to figure he's not going to get much more than the minimum, even though he's clearly worth more than that in pre-pandemic times. I think it's pretty likely he comes bakc. Just wish he were 3 inches taller.
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 38,759
And1: 8,664
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#977 » by Mylie10 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
wco81 wrote:OK, figured. Let's hope they can find a couple of productive vets at comparable salaries.

I would not want to rely only on Poole or even Paschall or the rookies they draft.


It's entirely possible one or both come back.



GRII basically hasn't played in the bubble until Embiid went down in the last game. You'd have to figure he's not going to get much more than the minimum, even though he's clearly worth more than that in pre-pandemic times. I think it's pretty likely he comes bakc. Just wish he were 3 inches taller.


On the 3 inches taller thing. I get you on that. That’s why, me....I’d play him as a backup at the 2. I’d have his height be a benefit by making him a big guard and less a small forward. He can move and catch and shoot like Klay, but obviously not as good as Klay. As a small forward he’s on the smaller side.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Warriors Analyst
Veteran
Posts: 2,876
And1: 839
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#978 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
It's entirely possible one or both come back.



GRII basically hasn't played in the bubble until Embiid went down in the last game. You'd have to figure he's not going to get much more than the minimum, even though he's clearly worth more than that in pre-pandemic times. I think it's pretty likely he comes bakc. Just wish he were 3 inches taller.


On the 3 inches taller thing. I get you on that. That’s why, me....I’d play him as a backup at the 2. I’d have his height be a benefit by making him a big guard and less a small forward. He can move and catch and shoot like Klay, but obviously not as good as Klay. As a small forward he’s on the smaller side.


Yeah, as long as you have someone else on the court that can handle a bit next to him, I'm fine with him being the nominal 2. I remember in the first preseason game against the Lakers, it really stood out to me how small this team was when I saw GRIII out there guarding Lebron. Next to Klay, I think it would be fine. Klay is about the same height, it's remarkable how strong Klay has become. He's a rugged defender in the post. I'm more confident than most about his ability to be our primary defender on the bigger 3's in the league. Hell, I think he can play some 4 on defense as well.
Scoots1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,795
And1: 223
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#979 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:31 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

GRII basically hasn't played in the bubble until Embiid went down in the last game. You'd have to figure he's not going to get much more than the minimum, even though he's clearly worth more than that in pre-pandemic times. I think it's pretty likely he comes bakc. Just wish he were 3 inches taller.


On the 3 inches taller thing. I get you on that. That’s why, me....I’d play him as a backup at the 2. I’d have his height be a benefit by making him a big guard and less a small forward. He can move and catch and shoot like Klay, but obviously not as good as Klay. As a small forward he’s on the smaller side.


Yeah, as long as you have someone else on the court that can handle a bit next to him, I'm fine with him being the nominal 2. I remember in the first preseason game against the Lakers, it really stood out to me how small this team was when I saw GRIII out there guarding Lebron. Next to Klay, I think it would be fine. Klay is about the same height, it's remarkable how strong Klay has become. He's a rugged defender in the post. I'm more confident than most about his ability to be our primary defender on the bigger 3's in the league. Hell, I think he can play some 4 on defense as well.


It's pretty clear why there is a premium on guys who are big enough, fast enough, and strong enough to guard the elite wings in the NBA ... they pretty much don't have to have any other NBA skill and they will have a decent career.

LeBron
KD
George
Kawhi

After that it gets easier, but not easy

Butler
Tatum
Middleton
Ingram
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 10,736
And1: 3,722
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#980 » by wco81 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:37 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

GRII basically hasn't played in the bubble until Embiid went down in the last game. You'd have to figure he's not going to get much more than the minimum, even though he's clearly worth more than that in pre-pandemic times. I think it's pretty likely he comes bakc. Just wish he were 3 inches taller.


On the 3 inches taller thing. I get you on that. That’s why, me....I’d play him as a backup at the 2. I’d have his height be a benefit by making him a big guard and less a small forward. He can move and catch and shoot like Klay, but obviously not as good as Klay. As a small forward he’s on the smaller side.


Yeah, as long as you have someone else on the court that can handle a bit next to him, I'm fine with him being the nominal 2. I remember in the first preseason game against the Lakers, it really stood out to me how small this team was when I saw GRIII out there guarding Lebron. Next to Klay, I think it would be fine. Klay is about the same height, it's remarkable how strong Klay has become. He's a rugged defender in the post. I'm more confident than most about his ability to be our primary defender on the bigger 3's in the league. Hell, I think he can play some 4 on defense as well.


I don't think Klay can guard Lebron or Kawhi all game. They will take him in the paint and draw fouls against him or he will have to let him shoot.

Plus he's still needed to guard the big PG and SG scoring threats on the other team, giving Steph some relief on the defensive end.

GSW needs a couple of wings who are at least strong enough to make the Lebron and Kawhi's work. Iggy was undersized but was effective against Lebron at times because he had ridiculously great hands. Maybe among young players the only one who can be llke that is Thybulle. But Dame lit him up for 51 points yesterday.

Return to Golden State Warriors