ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors and the Luxury Tax Repeater penalty

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Re: Warriors and the Luxury Tax Repeater penalty 

Post#21 » by turk3d » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:44 am

How much revenue is likely to be added if Management goes site licenses as being reported?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#22 » by Warriorfan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:28 am

turk3d wrote:How much revenue is likely to be added if Management goes site licenses as being reported?

300 million dollars. So using Levi Stadium as a model 90% of all the seats $ 2000-$80,000 plus there will probably be money from luxury boxes. This will be on top of raised ticket prices.

https://clutchpoints.com/warriors-300-million-personal-seat-licenses/
turk3d
RealGM

Post#23 » by turk3d » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
turk3d wrote:How much revenue is likely to be added if Management goes site licenses as being reported?

300 million dollars. So using Levi Stadium as a model 90% of all the seats $ 2000-$80,000 plus there will probably be money from luxury boxes. This will be on top of raised ticket prices.

I think they (Lacob & Company) will be alright.

I posted your link on the GB since they're making a big deal out of the Warriors cap situation. Good post.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#24 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:02 pm

turk3d wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:

I think they (Lacob & Company) will be alright.

I posted your link on the GB since they're making a big deal out of the Warriors cap situation. Good post.

The gb reminds me of CNN
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
FrigginFalcon
Junior
And1: 115

Post#25 » by FrigginFalcon » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:12 am

I agree with the "Keep Iguodala" sentiment for multiple reasons, though I do see the logic in trying to avoid the REPEATER luxury tax before we even get to the Thompson & Green retention decisions. It may simply be impossible to keep both of them at realistic salaries when the time comes. And while it's one thing for KD, who is already a gazillionaire and makes heaven knows how much off endorsements alone to leave money on the table, that's a much tougher ask for Draymond & Klay, who have been stalwarts of a Championship team while playing out contracts well below their market value.

My understanding is that subject to certain requirements, we can essentially outspend anyone in the League to keep Draymond OR Klay, but not both, since we used one of our "KD Rule" exemptions on Steph, and a team can only use that for two roster players at any one time. I also understand that we can probably keep KD as long as we don't mind the tax payments that come with that. But unless I am somehow lost in the complexities of the Salary Cap and its many exemptions, we may find ourselves unable to match other offers for either Draymond OR Klay, whichever one we don't / can't use the "KD Rule" on.

Reminds me of an old joke. This guy is walking down Stinson Beach one day, and he sees an old brass oil lamp washed up on the shore. He goes to clean it off, and as he rubs it, a Genie appears and offers to grant him one wish -- anything he wants. He thinks a bit, then says: "I've always wanted to visit Hawaii, but I'm afraid to fly, and I get horribly seasick on boats. I want you to build me a highway from California to Hawaii so I can ride my motorcycle there."

The Genie frowns and says: "You know how hard that would be? It's thousands of miles of open ocean, thousands of feet deep most of the way. I have to build tens of thousands of enormous pillars, make the road able to withstand storms, let ships pass through, . . . it's virtually impossible. Isn't there anything ELSE you want?"

The guy thinks for a bit more, then says: "Well, I've always wanted to understand the NBA Salary Cap system -- could you explain that to me?"

The Genie thinks for a bit more, then asks: "Do you want 2 lanes on that road, or 4?"
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#26 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:28 am

GlenRiceARoni wrote:The warriors had a total of ONE playoff game for revenue last year. That's the same number as the Bulls, Hawks, Bucks, and Grizzlies.

Maybe they'll think twice about sweeping their opponents this year so they can keep some of their playoff gate receipts this time around.

"Get Out the Way, Let the Real F. Ballas thru" - Juvenile

Fine then, don't take our starters on playoff road games. How much money are extra playoff home games worth and can they pay for the luxury tax?
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Re: RE: Re: Warriors and the Luxury Tax Repeater penalty 

Post#27 » by GlenRiceARoni » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:36 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
GlenRiceARoni wrote:The warriors had a total of ONE playoff game for revenue last year. That's the same number as the Bulls, Hawks, Bucks, and Grizzlies.

Maybe they'll think twice about sweeping their opponents this year so they can keep some of their playoff gate receipts this time around.

Fine then, don't take our starters on playoff road games. How much money are extra playoff home games worth and can they pay for the luxury tax?

I think they said each game was worth about $11m to the warriors. But they only played one home revenue playoff game last year. The first two of every series the league steals the revenue

FrigginFalcon
Junior
And1: 115

Post#28 » by FrigginFalcon » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:21 pm

I don't know if it's fair to say that extra revenue games would "pay for the luxury tax." It's true, those games would add revenue, but the total revenue pays for everything, including base salaries, luxury tax, what must go to the League, and what the owner(s) pocket.

More playoff games does mean more revenue, but every loss means a greater risk of losing a whole series, and every extra game played makes the starters that much more tired for future rounds / games. I think that fatigue and minor injuries cost us the Championship in 2016. Between the 73-win push and the tough OKC series, and compared to Cleveland going through the pathetic Eastern Conference on cruise control, we went in well below full strength, and it cost us. I'm pretty sure the Warriors would have happily given up that Game 7 revenue by winning in 6.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#29 » by turk3d » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Mylie10 wrote:No I wouldn't.

Me neither.

Return to Golden State Warriors