ImageImageImageImageImage

McGee's back

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: McGee's back 

Post#41 » by and1GS » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 pm

DaHef wrote:
laika wrote:Nice.
I still think that McGee is being underrated, but at least he has one more year to prove himself now.

Other than signing a PG instead of Young I think this offseason went about as well as you could reasonably hope for.

Is Ian Clark still looking for work?

Oddly ya.

I think a lot of this has to do with teams realizing they screwed themselves over by spending up to the cap line so quickly. I was convinced that Ian was getting around 2-3 years for 5-6m per and McGee was looking at 7m per from some dumb team like the Kings. In reality I'd bet that McGee will be playing out his career on a string of 1 year contracts, which is bizarre because he was incredible in his role last year.

I'm honestly astounded no team wanted to give JaVale even half the MLE with a 2+1 TO deal. The risk was so incredibly low and it's not like the guy's an ****, he's a great teammate and as someone who's met him --albeit briefly--he's a good dude that cares about fans and doing the right thing.

Whatever his career brings him I'm very happy to have that positivity back around the team.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#42 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:21 pm

DaHef wrote:
I still think that McGee is being underrated, but at least he has one more year to prove himself now.

Other than signing a PG instead of Young I think this offseason went about as well as you could reasonably hope for.

yup, last rumor was the Lakers were looking at him but they signed Ennis instead. Now the Wolves are interested.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#43 » by turk3d » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:56 pm

and1GS wrote:
DaHef wrote:

Oddly ya.

I think a lot of this has to do with teams realizing they screwed themselves over by spending up to the cap line so quickly. I was convinced that Ian was getting around 2-3 years for 5-6m per and McGee was looking at 7m per from some dumb team like the Kings. In reality I'd bet that McGee will be playing out his career on a string of 1 year contracts, which is bizarre because he was incredible in his role last year.

I'm honestly astounded no team wanted to give JaVale even half the MLE with a 2+1 TO deal. The risk was so incredibly low and it's not like the guy's an ****, he's a great teammate and as someone who's met him --albeit briefly--he's a good dude that cares about fans and doing the right thing.

Whatever his career brings him I'm very happy to have that positivity back around the team.

I think think you're right and1, most teams shot their wads during the initial FA frenzy. Both Ian and Javale deserved better than what they got imo. It's just that the money dried up for guys like them. If Javale performs well for us again this season, I think he'll do better over the long haul. Either the Dubs will sign him long term, or someone looking for a Center will latch onto him.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#44 » by statsman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:34 pm

and1GS wrote:In reality I'd bet that McGee will be playing out his career on a string of 1 year contracts, which is bizarre because he was incredible in his role last year.

Maybe. With all of the pressure to redeem himself no longer an issue with the Warriors, it will be interesting to see if McGee can improve his game defensively. With West retiring after this season and possibly Zaza, that would leave McGee as the only vet C on the roster.

Not saying McGee should be the starter after this season, but if he can improve his defense, there would be a lot of minutes off the bench for him. Maybe enough to convince the Warriors to keep him around for a few more seasons above the vet minimum, say at 2/7 or 2/8.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#45 » by turk3d » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:59 pm

The other thing to factor in with McGee is that he's still relatively young. This season will definitely be the make or break season for him with the Warriors. If you were looking for a genuine Center coming out of this years draft, with the physicality to play under the boards against the big boys? Collins, Patton, Allen or Pascecniks? Who would take any of these guys over McGee keeping in mind none of them weight over 232 and would be projects who'd have to be developed?

A few of them would have to play the 4. McGee is not only 7 feet (a few of them aren't, more like 6'10), 270 and already NBA developed. We already have a development project in Jones. Of course, some of you would prefer a stretch 4 or 5 which McGee is not, but I maintain we really don't need one. We already ahve Dray and Durant who'll provide that as needed (West as well when he's in there).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#46 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:55 pm

statsman wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:Zaza, West and Javale are a perfect 3 man C rotation.

At a team salary cost of $6.4M combined, not including the luxury tax, which they would have anyway when filling out the roster.

think it's 6.9m, even so the following 2017-18 salaries are...

Zaza/West/Javale - 6.9m
THJ/Ron Baker - 22.3m

:lol:

statsman
Analyst

Post#47 » by statsman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:06 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
statsman wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:Zaza, West and Javale are a perfect 3 man C rotation.

At a team salary cost of $6.4M combined, not including the luxury tax, which they would have anyway when filling out the roster.

think it's 6.9m, even so the following 2017-18 salaries are...

Zaza/West/Javale - 6.9m
THJ/Ron Baker - 22.3m

Zaza - $3.48M
West and McGee - $1.47M each (the cost to a team for a 2+ year vet on a minimum salary contract is the 2-year vet minimum - the league picks up the difference)

3.48 + 1.47 + 1.47 = $6.42M (just to show how I got to $6.4M)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#48 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:41 pm

oh, ESPN lists West at 2.3m

shanthi
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#49 » by shanthi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:38 am

DaHef wrote:

Yup, but we're out of roster spots. I'll miss Clark--he could play a little point guard, shoot decently and seemed to put in effort on defense even if he wasn't a great defender. Nick Young is an upgrade as a reserve gunner, but he can't run the offense like Clark can.

Oh well--the Warriors have Curry, Livingston and Iguodala who can.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#50 » by turk3d » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:13 pm

shanthi wrote:
DaHef wrote:

Yup, but we're out of roster spots. I'll miss Clark--he could play a little point guard, shoot decently and seemed to put in effort on defense even if he wasn't a great defender. Nick Young is an upgrade as a reserve gunner, but he can't run the offense like Clark can.

+ Green. Durant and now McCaw.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#51 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:52 pm

glad he is back

this is why we didn't offer him a bigger deal as it wasn't likely he would get more than the min
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#52 » by WESCO » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Yeah, I'm surprised no team snuck in there and gave him a decent multi-year contract. Can't imagine the Warriors are paying him much. And I'm a Wiz fan - who saw the worst of him. He still makes a lot of foolish fouls, but he's a good player.

From the outside looking in it seems like no one offered him multiyear deal and he wanted to stay in the West coast.
FunkNinerFlex
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#53 » by FunkNinerFlex » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:50 am

statsman
Analyst

Post#54 » by statsman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:42 am

It would seem any desire by the Warriors to extend McGee beyond this season may depend on his improvement on the defensive end. The good news is he shouldn't have to worry about proving himself again with the coaches, teammates, fans, or the front office. I think he's a bargain at $2.1M (last season was $1.4M).
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#55 » by East Bay Sports » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:53 pm

shanthi wrote:
DaHef wrote:

Clark. Never. Ran. The. Offense.

Not sure why people say these silly things. Also Swaggy P had a better A/T ratio playing for awful LAL than Clark had playing in our system. But tell me more how great of a playmaker Clark is.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#56 » by laika » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:51 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:
shanthi wrote:
DaHef wrote:Is Ian Clark still looking for work?

Not sure why people say these silly things. Also Swaggy P had a better A/T ratio playing for awful LAL than Clark had playing in our system. But tell me more how great of a playmaker Clark is.

This is false.
Clark might not be a great playmaker, but he got more than twice as many assists as Young. People are correct to be a little concerned about Young's awful passing numbers.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by East Bay Sports » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:59 pm

laika wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:
shanthi wrote:

This is false.
Clark might not be a great playmaker, but he got more than twice as many assists as Young. People are correct to be a little concerned about Young's awful passing numbers.

I lied they had the exact same A/T. Young simply doesn't turn the ball over.
statsman
Analyst

Post#58 » by statsman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:25 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:I lied they had the exact same A/T. Young simply doesn't turn the ball over.

If you're cherry-picking last season, maybe. But over his career, Young has slightly more turnovers than assists. The reason his turnover numbers aren't worse is because he doesn't pass the ball. Got a gut feeling his game is going to annoy me more often than not.
FrigginFalcon
Junior
And1: 115

Post#59 » by FrigginFalcon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:54 pm

I don't feel that the Dubs need a traditional PG, which to me is a guy who creates off his own dribble, with P&R as only one of many possible ways of doing that. Guys like Draymond, Iggy, and Shaun can trigger the offense without playing that way, and of course a weave or P&R can work with multiple ball handlers, not just the PG.

Where a problem with "handles" can be an issue is if an opponent with a smaller, quicker back-court makes a real effort to harass the ball-handlers as they bring the ball up court. Without good ball handlers, that strategy can generate steals and force turnovers off bad passes, and it can also take time off the shot clock, so that even when the offense does get started, the shot clock will already be under 15 seconds. I can't say that I recall a lot of situations where Clark contributed to that, but my impression is that he was a decent ball handler against tight man-to-man coverage.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by East Bay Sports » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:14 pm

statsman wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:I lied they had the exact same A/T. Young simply doesn't turn the ball over.

If you're cherry-picking last season, maybe. But over his career, Young has slightly more turnovers than assists. The reason his turnover numbers aren't worse is because he doesn't pass the ball. Got a gut feeling his game is going to annoy me more often than not.

The point is Clark is no world beating play making guard. He isn't a good playmaker at all. Maybe Young is worse, but it doesn't matter, that wasn't the role either is being asked to fill.

Return to Golden State Warriors