ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA IV

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Around the NBA IV 

Post#1041 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:43 pm

jason bourne wrote:I looked at vids of Wiggins last night. Some are calling him a bust, but that was with the TWolves. While it's a small sample size, he did a lot better with the Warriors. His defense was better. His 3-pt shooting was still the same. If he can shoot the 3 at around 36% (he had one season at 35.6%), then he should be a keeper.

I think the Warriors have to focus on getting another deep threat. It doesn't necessarily have to be a big man. They can get a 3-pt shooter in the draft. If they can add someone who could spot start and shoot 3s off the bench then they could just add someone like JaVale. I dunno as I teams will try to get bigger. Big men are back. Trying to add someone like Miles Turner will be tough as Ws will likely have to give up Wiggins and a FRP. I rather keep Wiggins, so won't just trade him for a big man unless he can shoot 3s.

Markus Howard will probably be available for the Warriors last pick, and his track record has more depth and quality than anyone else in the draft (Nesmith's season was an aberation in his history, let's not forget Aaron Gordon was an "elite 3 point shooter" for as many games as Nesmith was then he fell back to earth).

Without a trade down in the first the Warriors won't really have a reasonable shot at the 1st round grade shooters Haliburton, Vassell, Nesmith, Bey, or Bane.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#1042 » by Onus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
jason bourne wrote:I looked at vids of Wiggins last night. Some are calling him a bust, but that was with the TWolves. While it's a small sample size, he did a lot better with the Warriors. His defense was better. His 3-pt shooting was still the same. If he can shoot the 3 at around 36% (he had one season at 35.6%), then he should be a keeper.

I think the Warriors have to focus on getting another deep threat. It doesn't necessarily have to be a big man. They can get a 3-pt shooter in the draft. If they can add someone who could spot start and shoot 3s off the bench then they could just add someone like JaVale. I dunno as I teams will try to get bigger. Big men are back. Trying to add someone like Miles Turner will be tough as Ws will likely have to give up Wiggins and a FRP. I rather keep Wiggins, so won't just trade him for a big man unless he can shoot 3s.

Markus Howard will probably be available for the Warriors last pick, and his track record has more depth and quality than anyone else in the draft (Nesmith's season was an aberation in his history, let's not forget Aaron Gordon was an "elite 3 point shooter" for as many games as Nesmith was then he fell back to earth).

Without a trade down in the first the Warriors won't really have a reasonable shot at the 1st round grade shooters Haliburton, Vassell, Nesmith, Bey, or Bane.

We can probably look at Jordan nwora in the 2nd or Isaiah joe
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#1043 » by Little Digger » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#1044 » by jason bourne » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Onus wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Who would you have a deep threat at the #2 pick? I rather get that first. Avdija, Vassell, or someone else? Obi Toppin would be intriguing.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1045 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:58 pm

jason bourne wrote:
Onus wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Who would you have a deep threat at the #2 pick? I rather get that first. Avdija, Vassell, or someone else? Obi Toppin would be intriguing.

There are no elite shooters worth the #2 pick. Haliburton would probably be closest.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#1046 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:25 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
Onus wrote:We can probably look at Jordan nwora in the 2nd or Isaiah joe

There are no elite shooters worth the #2 pick. Haliburton would probably be closest.

There are valid questions about Haliburton's ability to get that shot off in the NBA. I don't think that form lends itself to a repeatable motion off of the dribble, so he's gonna have to be lights out spotting up. I also worry that defenders are gonna look at that shot and just decide to sag off, regardless of what the percentages say.
Onus
RealGM

Post#1047 » by Onus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
jason bourne wrote:

There are valid questions about Haliburton's ability to get that shot off in the NBA. I don't think that form lends itself to a repeatable motion off of the dribble, so he's gonna have to be lights out spotting up. I also worry that defenders are gonna look at that shot and just decide to sag off, regardless of what the percentages say.

Hali is probably the best shooter of the top picks, but like was said they all have issues with their shot in some form. I really like Avdija though especially from what we need. He was a 40% shooter from 3 in the corners.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1048 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:17 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
jason bourne wrote:

Yes, the point I was trying to make was that Haliburton's overall value is closest to #2 among the "better" shooters. There no elite shooters worth #2 in this draft.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#1049 » by Swift21 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:26 pm

They're finished.
Read on Twitter
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1050 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Morey doesn't like ownership, and they want to get under the cap somehow. I feel bad for Rockets fans. I don't feel bad for Harden or Westbrook.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#1051 » by jason bourne » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
jason bourne wrote:

I've cooled off from Haliburton when he was at the top of my list if Warriors traded down. One would have to project who the best deep threat will be. It could still be Tyrese and he's a PG and would fill a need. He would still be a potential draftee if the Warriors trade down.

ETA: Daryl Morey might be a good guy to get for the Warriors (in a consultant role?).
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1052 » by Mylie10 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:51 pm

If it’s deep threat we are looking for then Bane and Nesmith are probably the two top threats from range. They both shot high volume high percentage.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#1053 » by jason bourne » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Hm.. it's only scuttlebutt, but would KG buying the TWolves affect their pick? Could they get a deal done before the draft???!!!???!!!

He's there to pay his respects to George Floyd
https://www.startribune.com/kevin-garnett-in-minneapolis-to-help-mum-on-possible-wolves-ownership/572768251/

ImageImage
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#1054 » by Little Digger » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#1055 » by jason bourne » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:47 pm

Mylie10 wrote:If it’s deep threat we are looking for then Bane and Nesmith are probably the two top threats from range. They both shot high volume high percentage.

They'd be nice to get, but it won't be easy because the top deep threats do not have the other parts of their game to warrant a #2 pick. The Ws would need another mid-round or later pick to get Bane or Nesmith.

Maybe the Warriors will have to settle for Damion Lee, Jordan Poole, another young player, or Wiggins (career 33% 3-pt shooter and relatively young) developing into a deep threat this year.

ImageImage
Onus
RealGM

Post#1056 » by Onus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:53 pm

Mylie10 wrote:If it’s deep threat we are looking for then Bane and Nesmith are probably the two top threats from range. They both shot high volume high percentage.

Nwora is a shooter that may be available in the late 2nd
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#1057 » by jason bourne » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Side note on Kostas Antetokounmpo... It may open up Giannis coming to the Warriors in 2022 if the Bucks fail again.

ImageImage
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,242

Post#1058 » by wco81 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:32 pm

Uh, the main chance for Giannis to come to GSW is to trade now or at the latest, at the trade deadline.

Because at the end of next season, regardless of what happens in the playoffs, it would be almost impossible for GSW to get him if he hits free agency, right?

It would have to be a trade and Bucks would have to either like the #2 pick or accept getting whomever GSW drafts.

At the trade deadline, if Minnesota is playing badly, then that pick may become more valuable, unless it's top 3.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#1059 » by jason bourne » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:16 pm

wco81 wrote:Uh, the main chance for Giannis to come to GSW is to trade now or at the latest, at the trade deadline.

Because at the end of next season, regardless of what happens in the playoffs, it would be almost impossible for GSW to get him if he hits free agency, right?

It would have to be a trade and Bucks would have to either like the #2 pick or accept getting whomever GSW drafts.

At the trade deadline, if Minnesota is playing badly, then that pick may become more valuable, unless it's top 3.

The Bucks won't trade him this off-season, but would do it next season if they think he won't sign his supermax extension.

One of the question marks this off-season would the Bucks pick up CP3's huge two years remaining at $85 M? Tillman Fertitta has said that is the worst contract he has ever seen. It would be great to fark up the Bucks for years to come if they get CP3 and he doesn't deliver them a title. Come to the Warriors, Giannis, where they know how to win a championship.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/oklahoma-city-thunder/chris-paul-2609/

ImageImage
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#1060 » by jason bourne » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:08 am

It seems the Warriors are #11 in terms of SI's way too early power rankings for next season. I think that's about right for now as they have to replace losing their best player, KD, but the Splash Bros, Draymond, the ROY, recently acquired Andrew Wiggins, and the rest of the supporting cast will return. I think the big question mark is how Kevon Looney will do coming back from injury at PF/C and whether Alen Smailagic can contribute solid minutes?

"11. Golden State Warriors

To be frank, I have no idea where to slate Golden State entering next season. There’s the instinct to be deferential to the three-time champions, and if Stephen Curry returns to his MVP form, a Finals appearance is certainly in play. Will we see the best of Curry and Klay Thompson next season? It remains a legitimate question, and Golden State’s rotation depth remains a bit shaky. Don’t count the Warriors out by any stretch, but they aren’t anywhere near the conference favorites as the Splash Brothers return to life without Kevin Durant. "

The Nets are just ahead of the Warriors (ouch). I won't argue that as they have the big 3 and KD and Kyrie put together a nice big three and chose the right EC team. I think it's BS the Mavs and Rockets are ahead of them, but we were lucky to get the #2 overall pick in the draft, so the team underperformed badly.

"8. Dallas Mavericks

Dallas’s dynamic duo could potentially wreak havoc on the Western Conference in the 2020s, and a Finals appearance at some point is more than likely given good health for Luka Doncic. Just how far can the Mavericks rise in 2021? Their supporting cast could dictate the season. Dallas remains on the market for a third All-Star, and there are plenty of assets on the roster for a marquee deal. Mark Cuban regrets never surrounding Dirk Nowitzki with the requisite talent after the 2011 Finals. Expect him to be aggressive in the coming seasons with a generational talent in tow.

7. Houston Rockets

Houston’s coaching search is fascinating given the franchise’s success over the last four seasons. The Rockets didn’t want to see Mike D’Antoni depart by all accounts, and it’s hard to imagine a better head coach both schematically and personally for James Harden. Perhaps Tyronn Lue helps Houston get over the hump in 2021. Otherwise, Tilman Fertitta may regret nickel-and-diming D’Antoni in previous contract negotiations."

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/10/13/nba-power-rankings-2021-lakers-heat-clippers

ImageImage

Return to Golden State Warriors