ImageImageImageImageImage

Going Down Memory Lane

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Going Down Memory Lane 

Post#21 » by Mylie10 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:39 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:I am too young to have appreciated Webber as a Warrior (was 3 when he was here) but I loved him when he was in Sacramento and I think he is the best color analyst this side of Jim Barnett. Mad respect for him

The Webber at Sac was never the beast he was coming into the league. I will give Webber props for expanding his skillset as far as shooting the ball goes, post injury.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
”
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#22 » by Coxy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:36 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:One of my best memories was rookie year Chris Webber. I was doing work at his house in Blackhawk. He had his cousin staying with him to take care of the normal life stuff. His name was G. Webber was really cool and laid back. We shot some hoops with him in the back yard on a night where he was gonna play Utah. He had already worked up a minor hatred for Karl Malone and said that lots of guys in the league hated him.

The best part about working there was the candle wax in the master bedroom! it was wayyyy up the wall. Some crazy ish must have gone down in there. There was also a mini parade of chicks rolling through there. This was pre-Tyra Banks.

Certain players you can just tell would have been man whores, not surprised at all with C Webb. Dude is smooth.

Check out the old Webber video from rookie year, in the playoffs, against Charles Barkley. Fun stuff. Coulda won a title!

During the mid 90's, getting any sort of footage of the Warriors was almost impossible in Australia, so when the game were on I taped them on VHS and watched them over and over and over again. Was obsessed with everything Sprewell, and that 1 season of Spree/Webb is the reason I am a Warrior fan. If it wasn't for those 2, and my trip to San Fran as a youngster, I may have ended up a Seattle supporter due to Shawn Kemp.

Young Webber on the Warriors was just an animal. He was such a sharp young player and really wanted to prove himself against the Barkley's, Coleman's, LJ's, Malones and Kemp's of the league. Just so sad how it all played out, but hey, it's all history now. If none of that ever happened, the transpiring events all never would have culminated into us now watching this all-time team, and Steph may have ended up a Laker or sumpin (Dreaded thought I know).

What a ride it's been.
Stern
Junior
And1: 149

Post#23 » by Stern » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Spree and Webber commercial.

Sir Charles destroyed the Warriors in the playoffs however.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#24 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:08 pm

gswhoop wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Jamison's back to back 50 was pretty sweet.

55 game winning season with Webber and Billy Owens (91?) teams romp through the east coast and New York...nice.

Watching Agent Zero and JRich on the same team and having final hope for a young core was nice...

Turning point for this current team was the win in Miami over LB and Wade....especially Green dominating LB defensively during moments of that game.

And of course the Black Falcon's DUNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK ...I think that was 2014?

Man I remember those days thinking that Arenas and Jrich would be a duo and then he bounced because we couldn't afford him.

Actually the brutal run of bad luck continued.... The Warriors WANTED to pay him...but could only pay up to a certain amount because of an existing rule. That rule has since been change. That...like the Webber team...was yet another ALMOST a good team moment....sigh.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#25 » by and1GS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:32 am

I think the first time I ever paid serious attention to a warrior game I was maybe 9 years old. Went to a game with my dad and sat 5th row, got hooked immediately. Just looked it up and here was the amazing lineup I saw lose live:

Muggsy Bogues
Brian Shaw
Bimbo **** Coles
Donyell
Dampier

How could you not become a lifelong fan after seeing that ****? Some other maddening stray thoughts from memory lane:

-Bob Sura was the most frustrating warrior player I ever saw live. He wouldn't even try to score, just barrel into people.
-I met Erick Dampier 20+ times. He always struck me as a sad guy. Gifted with talent and height, but he definitely did not want the scrutiny that came with being a pro. I felt so bad for him when he was on the Mavs.
-Anyone remember Damp's last year here where the team all wore headbands? Then they started swapping headbands with their teammates (so Damp would wear Foyle's number on his etc.)? That was the most excited I got about this team in years.
-Jason Richardson and Monta were always a couple of my favorites for how much they loved Golden State. Nobody ever wanted to be here, except for them.
-Baron was an incredibly exciting player, but I never trusted him. He only tried when he wanted to - generally for a contract.
-I still have a pristine basketball signed by that arenas/murphy/j-rich team. If anybody would pay me a decent amount of money for it, it's all yours.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#26 » by and1GS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:54 am

Impuniti wrote:Image

As fun as this team was, has there ever been a more volatile core of players+coach? The only other team I can think of during my basketball watching life would be the Malice at the Palace Pacers...and we were led by their #2 **** head.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#27 » by cladden » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:00 am

and1GS wrote:

As fun as this team was, has there ever been a more volatile core of players+coach? The only other team I can think of during my basketball watching life would be the Malice at the Palace Pacers...and we were led by their #2 **** head.

Jailblazers maybe.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#28 » by and1GS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:08 am

cladden wrote:
and1GS wrote:

Jailblazers maybe.

Oh god that's a good one. Friend of a friend told me a bunch of depressing stories about the 'mandatory' charity work they'd do. The players would show up high for make-a-wish type stuff. If they weren't such idiots I think Rasheed would get more credit for being such a transcendent big man - he was a big part of the idiocy, obviously.

lol, this article is a great reminder of that team: http://uproxx.com/dimemag/ode-to-the-jail-blazers-era-in-portland/5/

Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#29 » by Quazza » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 am

Coxy wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Certain players you can just tell would have been man whores, not surprised at all with C Webb. Dude is smooth.

Check out the old Webber video from rookie year, in the playoffs, against Charles Barkley. Fun stuff. Coulda won a title!

During the mid 90's, getting any sort of footage of the Warriors was almost impossible in Australia, so when the game were on I taped them on VHS and watched them over and over and over again. Was obsessed with everything Sprewell, and that 1 season of Spree/Webb is the reason I am a Warrior fan. If it wasn't for those 2, and my trip to San Fran as a youngster, I may have ended up a Seattle supporter due to Shawn Kemp.

Young Webber on the Warriors was just an animal. He was such a sharp young player and really wanted to prove himself against the Barkley's, Coleman's, LJ's, Malones and Kemp's of the league. Just so sad how it all played out, but hey, it's all history now. If none of that ever happened, the transpiring events all never would have culminated into us now watching this all-time team, and Steph may have ended up a Laker or sumpin (Dreaded thought I know).

What a ride it's been.

man this resonates with me so much haha. Our games were just never played. Bulls, Lakers, magic, Sonics, Knicks....... If there was one, i used to do exactly the same thing - tape it!
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#30 » by Revived » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:54 am

I can understand the others but was Jason Richardson really that bad?
KidPistol
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#31 » by KidPistol » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:28 pm

When Monta was traded and Lacob and co were booed during Mullin’s jersey retirement. Sounding like some wwe type stuff lol.
The scariest question in NBA history.

"Can Stephen Curry get better?"
and1GS
RealGM

Post#32 » by and1GS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Revived wrote:

I can understand the others but was Jason Richardson really that bad?

His heart was always in the right place, but there was a serious domestic violence allegation hanging over him for years

I believe he was also shipped away right when one half season of We Believe completed so he was barely around for it.

Return to Golden State Warriors