ImageImageImageImageImage

Mully

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Mully 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:56 am

He's in his third season coaching St. John.

I guess after he was fired as GM with the Warriors he didn't get another job around the league and it appears the current ownership didn't offer him anything, even in a non basketball role.

Or maybe he wanted to stay close to NY.

Georgetown led by Pat Ewing played Mullins St. John team tonight. Ewing was an assistant for a long time in the NBA but appeared to hit a ceiling, didn't really get a chance at an NBA HC job.

Trying to recall but are there a lot of former players who were good enough to be Hall of Famers like Mully and Ewing and then became NBA head coaches? McHale was one, as well as being GM. Bird didn't coach long though he also was GM for several years.

Then again Mullins and Ewing may not have what it takes to be NBA HCs or GMs, especially the latter which has become more data-driven to assess talent.

Just remembered Magic is in charge of the Lakers. I guess a lot of these former stars get chances because of what they did as players. I don't even remember Mully's drafts or player acquisitions.

That reminds me, Hardaway is an assistant for some team.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Re: Mully 

Post#2 » by Coxy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:15 am

Mullin seems like a super dude. I'd buy him a beer any day of the week for sure. He just isn't a new age, NBA basketball coaching and front office mind however. At least not at this stage anyway. He was also involved with the Warriors at a very hard time, and seemingly no-one in the coaching and management survived.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#3 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Coxy wrote:Mullin seems like a super dude. I'd buy him a beer any day of the week for sure. He just isn't a new age, NBA basketball coaching and front office mind however. At least not at this stage anyway. He was also involved with the Warriors at a very hard time, and seemingly no-one in the coaching and management survived.

Agreed. Total disaster of a GM though. He was hired by the Kings briefly after Vivek took over.. guess how that went.

Think coaching is more his wheelhouse. Think he could be an AC in the league soon.. but stay far far away from talent acquisition. No eye contact
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#4 » by Warriorfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Bill Russell title player coach,
Dave Cowens was good in CHA not GS
Lenny Wilkins HOF as player and coach.

Return to Golden State Warriors