ImageImageImageImageImage

Cook isn't cutting it

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Re: Cook isn't cutting it 

Post#141 » by cladden » Sat May 11, 2019 4:05 am

wco81 wrote:0-2 on WIDE open 3s in Game 6 of the WCSF in Houston. Constantly victimized on defense.

OK we know his weakness is his defense.

But I saw at least one play where he didn't close out aggressively and then on a 50-50 ball scrumb, he just stood around while several players were going after the ball.

Really poor effort.

Guess the Warriors have no choice but to live with his minimum contract and hope he knocks down enough shots. But most of them are in garbage time. In big moments, he's just not coming through.

Fortunately, other role players like Iggy, Livingston and Looney stepped way up.

Both of those threes were super-close. I think it's unfair to say he played poorly because of that. Often those go in. If he couldn't get solid looks I'd feel different but IMO he was fine today. Not great, but fine.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#142 » by wco81 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:23 am

Players are going to make or miss shots.

But the ONLY reason he's on the roster is to make shots, since he's poor at all other facets of the game.

But I can forgive missing good looks.

What isn't forgivable is the lack of effort, especially on loose balls or going after long rebounds. Or closing out hard on jump shooters.

I know he's limited physically so you live with his weakness on defense. But I think some of it is lack of effort, not bearing down. He gets blown by too easily. Austin Rivers went by him like he wasn't there again.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#143 » by Mylie10 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:34 am

cladden wrote:
wco81 wrote:0-2 on WIDE open 3s in Game 6 of the WCSF in Houston. Constantly victimized on defense.

OK we know his weakness is his defense.

But I saw at least one play where he didn't close out aggressively and then on a 50-50 ball scrumb, he just stood around while several players were going after the ball.

Really poor effort.

Guess the Warriors have no choice but to live with his minimum contract and hope he knocks down enough shots. But most of them are in garbage time. In big moments, he's just not coming through.

Fortunately, other role players like Iggy, Livingston and Looney stepped way up.

Both of those threes were super-close. I think it's unfair to say he played poorly because of that. Often those go in. If he couldn't get solid looks I'd feel different but IMO he was fine today. Not great, but fine.

Cook did good and even a few of the shots Paul made on him we're actually good defense.

And you're right his threes were right on line, they just didn't go in. He was fine tonight. Especially when you consider how big the game was.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#144 » by azwfan » Sat May 11, 2019 5:41 am

Cook wasn't bad today - actually the best i've seen of him in awhile. At least he took his open shots. That said... next year I would be happier with Lee getting that roster spot over Quinn. I just like Lee's hustle and grit over Quinn's shooting.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#145 » by xdrta+ » Sat May 11, 2019 5:46 am

He was actually OK tonight, but I can't see bringing him back next year. Even when he makes shots there are too many other holes in his game.
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#146 » by PizzaSteve » Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Agree he wasnt bad. He doesnt commit stupid TOs and handles the ball pretty well against pressure. Not blowing it by trying too hard or being a knuckehead is an underrated quality. Rockets have a few of those type guys.

Return to Golden State Warriors