ImageImageImageImageImage

Would you break up our core 4 for Kawhi?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Would you break up our core 4 for Kawhi? 

Post#21 » by Mylie10 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:32 pm

cladden wrote:Don't think his offense would work playing with Steph and KD.

You're kidding right? He's a team guy in regards to offense who can carry a load if needed. He would fit seemlessly. However, you could not expect him to play like Klay does on offense. He wouldn't be constantly running around using screens like Klay does. So you'd want to add a similar offense guy who could replicate that along with Steph.

All moot though, Klay fits so good and has the perfect teprament to play with 2 superstars.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,234

Post#22 » by Impuniti » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

You're kidding right? He's a team guy in regards to offense who can carry a load if needed. He would fit seemlessly. However, you could not expect him to play like Klay does on offense. He wouldn't be constantly running around using screens like Klay does. So you'd want to add a similar offense guy who could replicate that along with Steph.

All moot though, Klay fits so good and has the perfect teprament to play with 2 superstars.

He's a heavy iso player that is a below average playmaker. Just watch Spurs with Kawhi the last 2 seasons, heavy iso where the entire movement is dead despite the Spurs.. being the Spurs.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#23 » by Warriorfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:03 pm

Nope. Injury and salary concerns
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#24 » by old rem » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 pm

AntMo22 wrote:Yes, in both scenarios. San Antonio can have durant
:banghead: :banghead: Sorry. I veto that whole idea. Very much so.
CENSORED... No comment.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#25 » by HiRez » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:24 am

Consider the possibility that contracts become a problem between KD, Klay, and Draymond needing new deals in the coming years and let's say things fall apart or it's not doable to keep this group together. Could Draymond, Klay, and KD be somehow flipped (in multiple deals obviously) for Kawhi and Anthony Davis? Don't get me wrong, I love our current team, but Steph, Kawhi, and AD playing together would be ridiculous...outside of the fact that it's 3 guys with injury histories of course.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#26 » by East Bay Sports » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:44 pm

HiRez wrote:Consider the possibility that contracts become a problem between KD, Klay, and Draymond needing new deals in the coming years and let's say things fall apart or it's not doable to keep this group together. Could Draymond, Klay, and KD be somehow flipped (in multiple deals obviously) for Kawhi and Anthony Davis? Don't get me wrong, I love our current team, but Steph, Kawhi, and AD playing together would be ridiculous...outside of the fact that it's 3 guys with injury histories of course.

Beyond a pipe dream IMO. You could maybe get one or the other if they were breaking up but no way both.
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#27 » by cladden » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:58 am

Mylie10 wrote:

He's pretty ISO in my estimation. Our offense runs best when the ball moves a lot. If you look here:

http://stats.nba.com/players/scoring/?sort=PCT_UAST_2PM&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612759

You will see that the percentage of unassisted fields goals he takes (2s and 3s) absolutely dwarfs anyone on the Warriors not named Briante Weber (using last year's numbers). Curry, our main unassisted shooter is worlds away from Kawhi.

This is not because Popovich is the master of ISOs. It's because Kawhi is a great scorer that way. Sort of in a Jordan/Good Kobe mold. I just don't think that's a great fit with what we're doing here.

People underestimate how unique it is to have a player like Klay who thrives with so few touches. Kawhi is of course the better player than both Klay and Draymond but I don't think we get better from a realistic trade for him.
cladden
Analyst

Post#28 » by cladden » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:00 am

cladden wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

He's pretty ISO in my estimation. Our offense runs best when the ball moves a lot. If you look here:

http://stats.nba.com/players/scoring/?sort=PCT_UAST_2PM&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612759

You will see that the percentage of unassisted fields goals he takes (2s and 3s) absolutely dwarfs anyone on the Warriors not named Briante Weber (using last year's numbers). Curry, our main unassisted shooter is worlds away from Kawhi.

This is not because Popovich is the master of ISOs. It's because Kawhi is a great scorer that way. Sort of in a Jordan/Good Kobe mold. I just don't think that's a great fit with what we're doing here.

People underestimate how unique it is to have a player like Klay who thrives with so few touches. Kawhi is of course the better player than both Klay and Draymond but I don't think we get better from a realistic trade for him.

I actually looked at these numbers:

http://stats.nba.com/players/scoring/?sort=PCT_UAST_2PM&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612759

I appreciate that this year's numbers are of little consequence so the reality is not as gregarious but I stand by the general points of the post. He's a player that likes to create for himself in 1 on 1 situations.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#29 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:30 pm

cladden wrote:
cladden wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

http://stats.nba.com/players/scoring/?sort=PCT_UAST_2PM&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612759

I appreciate that this year's numbers are of little consequence so the reality is not as gregarious but I stand by the general points of the post. He's a player that likes to create for himself in 1 on 1 situations.

9 game sample for this year, throw it out.

Last year, with your same stat, he was 61%, which is right around where Cjurry falls. Year before Kawhi was at 55%, so I would say that mostly he fits into the offense, but is a great bail out player when plays fall apart.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
cladden
Analyst

Post#30 » by cladden » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:28 am

Mylie10 wrote:
cladden wrote:
cladden wrote:

Last year, with your same stat, he was 61%, which is right around where Cjurry falls. Year before Kawhi was at 55%, so I would say that mostly he fits into the offense, but is a great bail out player when plays fall apart.

Agree on the percentages.

Eye test says he isos a lot though. So does Curry but he's always a willing and able passer and him running the offense is the key to our offense. Kawhi has a career high of 3.5 assists per game. He's not a playmaker of any substance. Great great player. Just not a fan of his offense even though I appreciate that he's one of the best scorers in the league. At least not for our system.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#31 » by Phase 3 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:32 am

If Durant wasn’t here, I’d be all-in on getting Kawhi. I don’t think it’s a great fit with Durant here tho. Chemistry is a thing and I’m not sure having 3 guys that want the ball in their hands is a good idea. In that way, Klay and Draymond are perfect for this current team because they’re happy playing off the ball and sacrificing for the team.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#32 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sun Apr 1, 2018 3:08 pm

No, I don't want to look at him staring straight ahead with that sad look on his face every night.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,405

Post#33 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Apr 3, 2018 6:21 pm

Anthony Davis...yes...Kawhi...no.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#34 » by Little Digger » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:12 pm

Last time I saw KL play he was by far the best player on the floor..Totally dominating the Warriors in every way..so you ask me if I want him on the warriors? Lolz
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#35 » by a8bil » Wed Apr 4, 2018 4:37 pm

Surprising again how little respect given to our existing core. Klay returns and we win three in a row. Spacing is much better. Everyone gets better looks...but ignore all that. Dray is DPOY, guarding 1-5, leading the team in assists -- which is the life blood of the GSW offense...but no, he's expendable too. KL is good, but this aint a video game or fantasy stats. It's about putting a group on the floor that is better than the sum of its parts. Our core 4 is the best the league has seen. I don't think it gets better with KL, unless he subs for Zaza/McGee.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,242

Post#36 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:23 am

Some people just assume trading Klay for Kawhi or AD would automatically make the team better.

Klay doesn't need to hold the ball like those other players, looking to try to create shots off the bounce. He can either get off a quality shot or move it.

If they're having to give touches to those other players, to give them some ISO chances, does that make the offense better?

Can either of them space the floor better or defend the wings? Well Kawhi can certainly defend 1-3, like Klay.

If they win another championship or two before they have to extend Klay, how can the ownership not look to retain him?
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#37 » by marthafokker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 am

cladden wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
cladden wrote:

Agree on the percentages.

Eye test says he isos a lot though. So does Curry but he's always a willing and able passer and him running the offense is the key to our offense. Kawhi has a career high of 3.5 assists per game. He's not a playmaker of any substance. Great great player. Just not a fan of his offense even though I appreciate that he's one of the best scorers in the league. At least not for our system.

hmmm.... I remembered some scrub that used to play for OKC with that description too. He did not really try to play.... unlike Kawhi.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#38 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:34 pm

StroShow6 wrote:We won't ever see another big 4 that fits in that well together ever again.

Unless it has Kawhi Leonard
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#39 » by HiRez » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Anthony Davis...yes...Kawhi...no.

I sort of agree with that. If were were going to break up our core for whatever reason, but assuming Steph and KD stay (ie. let's say Klay and Dray were leaving), I would target AD before Kawhi, even though I have a ton of respect for Kawhi's game. AD is just a more dynamic player who plays better with the fast pace we prefer and doesn't overlap a position.

But I also think trading Klay would have more negative effects than some project. Steph is the indisputable engine of our team and Klay plays a large part in facilitating Steph's ability to do what he does. The logical conclusion is that losing Klay hurts Steph, which hurts the team.

Likewise I think losing Draymond would make us a much softer team, and if you watched a lot of Warriors "Horrorball" for the 20 years before the current roster, you know that Charmin-softness is a hard thing to overcome. All-finesse teams have trouble going deep in the playoffs.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,242

Post#40 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Kawhi can create his own shot better than Klay, finish better than Klay and defend 1-3 better than Klay.

But he's not a catch and shoot player. He doesn't move off the ball as well as Klay. He would need the ball so if you think the Warriors resort to too many ISOs with KD, you're going to get more of it.

At that point, they're running less of Kerr's motion passing-centric offense than they are now.

Will that get you better results? Maybe.

I think one reason to break up the big 4 would be to get younger, replace one of the players with a younger star player. Kawhi is only 1 year younger than Klay and with the concerns about his health, I'm not sure replacing Klay with KL is that big of a move towards extending the championship window.

AD is several years younger so big advantage there. But again, with AD, you're not running the same kind of offense. AD can move well without the ball, doesn't need to dribble a lot to create his own offense.

But he wouldn't provide the same spacing as Klay. He'd provide rim protection and rebounding as well as attacking the paint a lot more.

So again, the offense would change and we don't know if the results would necessarily be better. But one thing for sure, AD's prime will last at least 5 years longer than any of the big 4.

I can see the appeal of that for ownership. It would make filling the Chase Center a lot easier, after maybe Curry and KD starts to decline or can't play as many minutes as they do now. But this is when they're around 34 or older, barring serious injuries. AD will still be 28 or so at that time.

Return to Golden State Warriors