ImageImageImageImageImage

Stephen Cury Knee Injury

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Stephen Cury Knee Injury 

Post#1 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:08 pm

No news yet, but I'm trying to make some guesses and set expectations for when he'll be back.

MCL recovery time
Grade 1 = 3-14 days
Grade 2 = 14-28 days
Grade 3 = 28-56 days

21 days until Playoffs begin (April 14)
37 days until Conference Semifinals begin (April 30/May 1)
52 days until Conference Finals begin (May 15-16)
67 days until NBA Finals begin (May 31)

Hopefully it's a strain and not a sprain, but even if it's a grade 3 sprain he could be back for the 2nd round.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Re: Stephen Cury Knee Injury 

Post#2 » by HiRez » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:34 pm

Thanks for the time lines. At this point might as well keep him out at least until the playoffs and maybe through the whole first round no matter what. Our whole season is riding on that guy’s legs and if we get some of Klay, Draymond, and KD back we can probably still beat most teams. Problem is the potential first round matchups for us are not easy. Denver, Utah, San Antonio, and Minnesota all pose challenges for us, especially if Kawhi and Butler are back. We play Utah next so that could be a good preview.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,893

Post#3 » by Samurai » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Grade 2 MCL sprain. Will be re-evaluated in 3 weeks.
StepBackCrack
Starter
And1: 3,083

Post#4 » by StepBackCrack » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:16 pm

Thank God it's not something worse. Still sucks of course but at least he will be back in R2. Get well, Steph!
BG
Sixth Man
And1: 458

Post#5 » by BG » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:10 pm

well, that's good news i guess. i just hope he comes back in a different way than 2 years ago, when he just wasn't the same player through out the playoffs after the injury
Warriors!!!
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,234

Post#6 » by Impuniti » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:18 pm

BG wrote:well, that's good news i guess. i just hope he comes back in a different way than 2 years ago, when he just wasn't the same player through out the playoffs after the injury

This is what I'm afraid of...
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#7 » by CS707 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Shutting Steph down for the rest of the season serves the team best so I’m guessing they put the most conservative diagnosis out to shut down any questions about resting.
SamSepiol
Rookie
And1: 3,614

Post#8 » by SamSepiol » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:06 pm

Hoping we get Pelicans/Timberwolves in first round.
I’m afraid he’s going to be a little stiff and not his normal self like 2016. At least we have Durant now, but competition also increased.
Also beware of the button pressing done by some members on the general board. I don’t want to be celebrating alone ;)
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#9 » by Coxy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:12 pm

This just sucks. These injuries are ridiculous and it may just not be our year.

We need to throw a few short term contracts at the Phoenix medical staff right now.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#10 » by HiRez » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 pm

We’re snakebit but considering we’ve had years of relatively good health I can’t complain much

At the beginning of the year if you asked me which team I’d want as a first round playoff opponent, I’d have said “it doesn’t matter.” But now it does matter. A lot.

Thank god Portland moved up in the seedings and we won’t have to face them early. However, if we get through the first round and Steph comes back less than like 80% for the second round for Portland, we could be in a lot of trouble, I doubt we have the firepower to hang with them right now without Steph and Klay putting up a lot of points.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#11 » by HiRez » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:41 pm

SamSepiol wrote:Hoping we get Pelicans/Timberwolves in first round.

I don’t want the T-pups if they are getting Butler back. Denver is probably the best realistic draw for us IMO, they’ve been struggling a bit lately. But maybe NO.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#12 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know everything will be fine. Cook is going to step up and when Klay returns he will have ample time to get aggressive on offense for the first round. KD can win a first round series by himself. This is just a little drama to heighten the experience of our next title.

Soak it in boys. The parade will be all the sweeter after a little adversity.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#13 » by laika » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:06 am

So the most likely scenario is that the Warriors will have to win a round without Curry.
Here's how I would rate the Warrior's chances without Curry-

1.Houston- guaranteed loss.

3.Portland- likely loss
4.OKC- likely loss
6.Utah- likely loss
5.Spurs with Kawhi- likely loss

8.Minnesota with Butler- coin flip
9.Denver- coin flip

5.Spurs without Kawhi- probable win
7.New Orleans- likely win
8.Minnesota without Butler- likely win

We've been over this, and I remain convinced that a lot of people are still overrating the Warriors without Curry. Even just looking at the first round there are multiple potential losses and only 3 scenarios I would rate as good. Hope no one bet a lot of money on a championship this year.
LEO MESSI
Junior
And1: 260

Post#14 » by LEO MESSI » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:02 am

laika wrote:So the most likely scenario is that the Warriors will have to win a round without Curry.

3.Portland- likely loss
4.OKC- likely loss
6.Utah- likely loss

I know i'm a Jazz fan and i'm sorry to say this but that is just crazy...
"Likely loss" against any of those teams?
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#15 » by Sleepy51 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:03 am

How many games are you imagining all those series swing with/without Curry? Because Utah, Denver, MN and NO are all likely sweeps or 5 game victories with Curry.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#16 » by laika » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:55 am

LEO MESSI wrote:
laika wrote:So the most likely scenario is that the Warriors will have to win a round without Curry.

3.Portland- likely loss
4.OKC- likely loss
6.Utah- likely loss

I know i'm a Jazz fan and i'm sorry to say this but that is just crazy...
"Likely loss" against any of those teams?

I am a Jazz fan also. The regular season isn't quite like the playoffs, but the fact is that the Jazz obliterated the Warriors this year even with Curry. If the Warriors are unlucky enough to face a healthy Jazz team without Curry then there is a good chance they will lose. I'm not sure why, but a lot of people dramatically underrate Curry. For years now the Warriors have played massively worse without Curry. They are not a "superteam". They are great mostly because of Curry. Period.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#17 » by HiRez » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:56 am

Sleepy51 wrote:How many games are you imagining all those series swing with/without Curry? Because Utah, Denver, MN and NO are all likely sweeps or 5 game victories with Curry.

Not sure Utah is a 4-5 game victory with Curry, maybe 6. The biggest thing I worry about with Utah is their defense wrecking our pace and junking up the game with fouls, similar to why Memphis gives us problems. They have the 3rd highest defensive rating in the league, 6th slowest pace. Minnesota really depends on whether Butler is back or not. Denver and NO I think we could handle without him.

Without Curry there's little margin for error. If Klay has a poor shooting night, it's magnified more than usual because we'll be short on offense. Our offense is less dynamic, more stagnant without Steph, with much worse spacing, therefore easier to gameplan against. And what if there's another injury? What if Draymond or KD have to sit out a few games? Again, it's just less margin for things to go wrong, which can be a problem against any opponent. In the playoffs dropping a game or two due to unforeseen circumstances can turn a whole series.
EnricoPellini
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#18 » by EnricoPellini » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:45 am

So I think Cook's chances at making the playoffs just went over 50 percent. Who do you guys think is gone? Casspi? McCaw? McGee?
Interested in the 2020 Draft? Here's a 76-page preview of it.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#19 » by Mylie10 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:52 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:No news yet, but I'm trying to make some guesses and set expectations for when he'll be back.

MCL recovery time
Grade 1 = 3-14 days
Grade 2 = 14-28 days
Grade 3 = 28-56 days

21 days until Playoffs begin (April 14)
37 days until Conference Semifinals begin (April 30/May 1)
52 days until Conference Finals begin (May 15-16)
67 days until NBA Finals begin (May 31)

Hopefully it's a strain and not a sprain, but even if it's a grade 3 sprain he could be back for the 2nd round.

Thanks for the info on Cury......now do you have any insight on Stephen Curry?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
StroShow6
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#20 » by StroShow6 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:06 am

Not as big of a deal as people are making , he will for sure be back for round 2 and has a solid chance of returning in round 1.

Yes , it is not deal but this isn't the end of the world. People compare it to 2016 when Curry couldn't fully come back from his MCL injury and the Warriors ended up losing in the finals. But this time around he doesn't have to carry the load.. He has Kevin Durant.

Best case scenario right now for the round 1 matchup is NOLA , Even without Curry against NOLA with a starting lineup of
Cook/Thompson/Durant/Green/McGee , I see the Warriors taking that series in 5 games. Same deal if the Warriors face the Clippers in RD 1. If they face Utah/Minnesota I could see it going 6 games.

Return to Golden State Warriors