Re: Ideal offseason 

Post#21 » by FunkNinerFlex » Sat Jun 9, 2018 1:14 pm

Learn to incorporate Durant Iso’s with our signature ball movement
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,893

Post#22 » by Samurai » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:16 am

FunkNinerFlex wrote:Learn to incorporate Durant Iso’s with our signature ball movement

I am encouraged in that games 2 and 4 of the Finals seemed to show that the team can do this; now its a matter of seeing how consistently they can be with it before everyone stops moving and just watches KD do his iso thing.

I was really impressed with JaVale in this series - enough so that I would be content with signing him and making him our starting center and get about 20 minutes/game. Since Kerr only wants him in for short spurts, about 5 minutes a quarter should do the trick. Assuming Looney is gone, I can see Bell taking the Looney-role at the 5 against smaller lineups as well as spelling Draymond at the 4. I must admit that I just haven't been impressed with Damian Jones in his limited NBA action; he just doesn't seem like even an average rebounder for a 7-footer. But Kerr seems high on him and I remind myself that Kerr sees a whole lot more of Jones in practices so I can take a wait-and-see approach.

I thought the 3-point shooting of Young and Casspi would really add a lot to our offense this year but it never materialized in a consistent manner. Would love to get Ian Clark back in the Nick Young spot.

As many have mentioned, we could use another PG when Curry rests (or is injured). I'd like to see how Cook develops if he gets a crash-course in "PG-101" this summer; focus heavily on bringing the ball up and actively focus on playmaking during the Summer League.

Since one of KD's nicknames is Slim, I guess Chris Boucher could be "Extra Slim". If he could add some muscle without compromising his explosive athleticism, gain better consistency with his flat-footed shooting mechanics, and improve his passing (he doesn't seem to see things happening on the court particularly well), he could be a serviceable stretch 4.

I am on the fence about bringing McCaw back. Last summer, he was described as a future Iguodala-type player. He seemed OK to me when he played with conviction and "force" but was just unplayable when he reverted to his ultra-timid and tentative version of himself.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,893

Post#23 » by Samurai » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:22 am

My other wish for the offseason is that Draymond works with a coach to extensively work on his 3-point shooting. In our offense, Green will always be wide open. If he can get his 3-point shot to hit on approximately 37-38%, that will put a ton of extra pressure on opposing defenses. We could really use that against the better defenses such as Utah and Houston.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#24 » by laika » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Under Contract-
Curry
Thompson
Green
Iguodala
Livingston
Jones-Looks like a bust but will be given another year.
Bell
Cook
Durant- Not 100%, but likely to sign.

Keep-
McGee- Plays very well with the starters. Should be cheap
Boucher- Why not? Have plenty of roster spots.
1st round pick- Need a 3 and D scorer to develop.
Looney- Plays great defense. You really want him on your team vs a team with a scoring C.

Get rid of-
Young- Failed experiment. Not good enough and too old.
Pachulia- Too many centers. Pachulia shouldn't start but sometimes contributes. He is odd man out though.
West- He is finished. Throw him a nice retirement party.
McCaw-He is a bust. Been one of the worst players in the league for two years now. Time to move on.

So that leaves two roster spots to try to find something. Because there is plenty of space I don't think that the Warriors will get rid of any of the players under contract. I still am not convinced it's possible to keep both Green and Klay. Green is clearly more valuable. If there is any chance that Green can't be resigned then Klay should be traded this year.
As for the two open spots, who knows? I say get as many wings as possible because the Warriors have more than enough big men.

Return to Golden State Warriors