This one seemed inevitable, but I'm hyped to go for the 3peat now

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,721

Re: This one seemed inevitable, but I'm hyped to go for the 3peat now 

Post#21 » by floppymoose » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:17 am

Mylie10 wrote:For those who don't know much about coach Adams, he's a wordly human being

The man has multiple ladies in every nba city. Baller.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 210

Post#22 » by ChuckS » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:00 am

Sleepy51 wrote:Oh lord ... here we go with the reproduction panacea again. .. Dude. I get it. Having a kid changed your life. Mine too. That's got nothing to do with all the POS out there who don't do dick all for their kids or pay child support. Breeding <> maturity.

Hold that thought Sleepy. Think of all those "basketball babies" who have been strewn around the country with no child support. An article I read alleged that just two players had abandoned seventeen children with thirteen women.

Think about what Mike Dunleavy said about his friend Rick Barry: that if they sent him to the United Nations he would start World War III. Remember Latrell Sprewell choking PJ, and Jayson Williams going to jail for (unintentionally) killing his driver. I won't go into all the fun I had as a Sixer fan, but how about Ivy's posse terrifying a girl by destroying her car with her in it. I have to admit there were good times there too -- like Charles Barkley throwing a fan through a plate class bar window. Most of all, consider all the hopefuls who passed through the Warriors' squads in all those years between California championships.

I trust you! Now re-read everything you have written about KD in this thread. In retrospect, do you think anything is relatively nebulous, trivial, or nit-picky? Never mind...I realize much was "tongue in cheek"...just a rhetorical question.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#23 » by Samurai » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:09 am

I never had the sense that this title was inevitable. The regular season was much more of a grind than previous years and I just didn't have confidence that the Dubs would be able to flip the switch as they were very sloppy and lethargic towards the end of the season. Houston really scared me - still does for next season. I'm hyped for a three-peat, but this gets even tougher as the contending teams will look at the Rockets template and build a team specifically to beat the Warriors.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#24 » by East Bay Sports » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 am

HiRez wrote:Should be The Drive For Five. That loss in '16 still chafes me.

I feel that but that loss also saves us from maxing Barnes and leads to Durant. Not a bad silver lining.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#25 » by Impuniti » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:02 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:

I feel that but that loss also saves us from maxing Barnes and leads to Durant. Not a bad silver lining.

No way that happens. I'm not even sure the 16m is on the table after his finals performance.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#26 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:The challenge for this coming year is going to be if Kerr and Lacob and Curry can finish maturing KD. He is a very young soul in a lot of ways despite being deep into his NBA career. The burner twitter accounts, getting caught up in proving things to fans, the emotions/insecurities from playing with Russ all manifest themself this year in different ways on the court. His angry pouting with refs, his moments of hero-ball and his fear of not getting the ball back were all related to his relative immaturity. There were obvious moments in the regular season and playoffs (especially on the road) where you could see he was taking shots trying to silence the crowd and ignoring the value of possession. He has to break that habit.

This team is the perfect environment to cure all that. If Durant can finish becoming a man among men this offseason and during the coming regular season this team can still go to an entirely unimagined level. A calm, confident, and selfless Durant playing to make Curry better will be the end of this league. They will just have to call "whoop teams" and start all over.

Actually Sleep....I think Ron Adams plays a prominent role in these areas.

For those who don't know much about coach Adams, he's a wordly human being who often talks more about life than basketball. He's our guru, and I know he was with OKC for Durant's early days in the league as well. I'm sure this is a work in progress.

In a natural maturation process, if Durant settles into a serious relationship and has a child, some of this other behavior will slow down significantly. Priorities tend to change when you have the little ones.

Oh lord ... here we go with the reproduction panacea again. .. Dude. I get it. Having a kid changed your life. Mine too. That's got nothing to do with all the POS out there who don't do dick all for their kids or pay child support. Breeding <> maturity.

KD needs to quit playing on his phone (so does Draymond, and his big ass mama.) :P

As far as why KD has this ... insecurity? I think he has big man's complex. Everyone thinks that growing up freakishly tall must be hella cool because you can dunk in elementary school. Most big kids hate it. People assume you are too old for your grade. Your clothes fit for like a week before you are high watering and your sleeves are running away from your hands. When you do have clothes that fit your length, you're swimming in them. Being an abnormally tall kid is very uncomfortable for most. KD carry's himself like a guy with that baggage.

He even refused the nickname "Slim Reaper"

#1. You don't get to pick your nickname hoss. Everyone else does.
#2. Slim Reaper is possibly the most baddest assessed nickname in the history of sports nicknames.

KD, quit playing on your phone, change your jersey number and embrace being the Slim Reaper for the 2nd act of your career and they will end up making you the new logo when all is said and done.

P.S. KD, I know you're here lurking in one of these accounts. I love you man. Do you. You're awesome and thanks for the Chips! But think about that Slim Reaper thing. You could make awkwardly tall skinny kids everywhere confident and proud of it. And it really is as badass as a nickname gets. Russ couldn't be the Slim Reaper. Bron can't be it. Only you man.

Now quict playin on your phone. ;D

STFU! :wink: Worked for Monta
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by East Bay Sports » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Impuniti wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:

No way that happens. I'm not even sure the 16m is on the table after his finals performance.

It 100% was happening. There was no other backup plan in place to Durant, it was KD or Barnes. And we didn't have control of Barnes price at that point we could only match the offer he signed.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#28 » by Impuniti » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:35 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:I feel that but that loss also saves us from maxing Barnes and leads to Durant. Not a bad silver lining.

It 100% was happening. There was no other backup plan in place to Durant, it was KD or Barnes. And we didn't have control of Barnes price at that point we could only match the offer he signed.

Completely disagree. Only way they sign him is a S&T.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by East Bay Sports » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:37 pm

Impuniti wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:
Impuniti wrote:No way that happens. I'm not even sure the 16m is on the table after his finals performance.

You are the only one who feels this way. They basically told Barnes he was plan B. The 16 Finals were bad but the team wasn't done with him because of it lol. They were still content with him, Durant was just a can't pass up opportunity obviously.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#30 » by Impuniti » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:It 100% was happening. There was no other backup plan in place to Durant, it was KD or Barnes. And we didn't have control of Barnes price at that point we could only match the offer he signed.

You are the only one who feels this way. They basically told Barnes he was plan B. The 16 Finals were bad but the team wasn't done with him because of it lol. They were still content with him, Durant was just a can't pass up opportunity obviously.

I don't care if they told him he can fly. The clear 5th best player on the team was not going to get a max contract. Otherwise, they would have done it earlier when they offered 16m and he turned it down, when his value was much higher than his finals performance.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by East Bay Sports » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:42 am

Impuniti wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Completely disagree. Only way they sign him is a S&T.

I don't care if they told him he can fly. The clear 5th best player on the team was not going to get a max contract. Otherwise, they would have done it earlier when they offered 16m and he turned it down, when his value was much higher than his finals performance.

His value wasn't higher before. His value was still whatever Dallas paid him. Your stance makes zero sense and seems to be driven by your own disappointment in Barnes at that point. I was disappointed too but you are delusional if you think they weren't bringing him back if they didn't get Durant. They absolutely were.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#32 » by Impuniti » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:13 am

East Bay Sports wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:You are the only one who feels this way. They basically told Barnes he was plan B. The 16 Finals were bad but the team wasn't done with him because of it lol. They were still content with him, Durant was just a can't pass up opportunity obviously.

His value wasn't higher before. His value was still whatever Dallas paid him. Your stance makes zero sense and seems to be driven by your own disappointment in Barnes at that point. I was disappointed too but you are delusional if you think they weren't bringing him back if they didn't get Durant. They absolutely were.

No, that's the value that one of the worst teams in the league has for him. That's not the value that the best one has. Barnes shat the bed when it came to helping the team win championships. I don't understand how you think his value wasn't higher before. He went from 'pivotal to winning a championship' to 'complete disappointment vs the top teams when needed'. To the Warriors, that is showing value.

You've given no reason why they would pay him max dollars as the 5th best player in the team.. other than, better grossly overpay someone than lose him for free even if it doesn't make sense. You're sounding like the Blazers management right about now, where just because there is a huge raise in league cap, you must absolutely throw all your money away and get crippled afterwards. There were already rumors just brewing of some other top players being salty at the 16m paycheque he may have gotten, I can't even imagine him being the most paid player in the team for an entire season. Good luck having a locker room that gets along when the 5th best player is paid more than anyone on the team and had the worst finals performance all time to ensure the team loses the series. I'm sure Draymond and Klay are over the moon who took 2-3m less to watch a bum who played a major role in costing them a championship earn more than anyone else on the team. Good luck having any sort of negotiation tactic when it's time for them to extend other than the absolute max.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,086

Post#33 » by Outside » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:43 pm

IIRC, there was some resentment in the locker room that Barnes didn't sign the original offer from the Warriors. The other players viewed the Warriors offer as fair and considered Barnes refusal of it to be selfish and counter to the spirit of sacrificing personally to keep a winning group together.

Barnes turned down a four-year, $64 million extension in the summer of 2015 ($16 million average per season). Draymond signed a five-year, $82 million deal in 2015 ($16.4 million average per season), and Klay signed a four-year, $68 million deal in 2016 ($17 million average per season). Dray and Klay are definitely more valuable than Barnes, and unlike Barnes, they took less than they could get on the open market.

Barnes wanted more, so he signed for four years and $94 million ($23.5 average per season). Now he has his money on a crappy team.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#34 » by Impuniti » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Outside wrote:IIRC, there was some resentment in the locker room that Barnes didn't sign the original offer from the Warriors. The other players viewed the Warriors offer as fair and considered Barnes refusal of it to be selfish and counter to the spirit of sacrificing personally to keep a winning group together.

Barnes turned down a four-year, $64 million extension in the summer of 2015 ($16 million average per season). Draymond signed a five-year, $82 million deal in 2015 ($16.4 million average per season), and Klay signed a four-year, $68 million deal in 2016 ($17 million average per season). Dray and Klay are definitely more valuable than Barnes, and unlike Barnes, they took less than they could get on the open market.

Barnes wanted more, so he signed for four years and $94 million ($23.5 average per season). Now he has his money on a crappy team.

Exactly, there was already resentment in the team because of a declined 16m deal early into the season. Imagine being paid 20m+ as the highest player on the team where that resentment ranks up significantly. And that was before his atrocious display in the last two series.

I would bet my life's savings that there was zero chance in hell that Barnes was getting anything more than the 16m, regardless of what Bob may claim to the public.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by East Bay Sports » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:55 pm

OK so flashback to 2016. Durant stays in OKC. Barnes signs his offer sheet with Dallas.

What do YOU think GS is doing at that point?
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#36 » by Impuniti » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:OK so flashback to 2016. Durant stays in OKC. Barnes signs his offer sheet with Dallas.

What do YOU think GS is doing at that point?

Not get crippled by a above average player and have some cap space.. like 1/3rd of the league was after the 2016 summer? Blazers had a huge upside to their team but overpaid a bunch ok players and have no future now. They likely find someone for 10-12m who is a solid short term option until they can find a gem when the time opens up. Spend anything else on better depth.

Return to Golden State Warriors