ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors will try and get younger this offseason

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Warriors will try and get younger this offseason 

Post#1 » by Kuya » Sat Jun 9, 2018 8:34 am

Outisde of our first round pick this year, what moves do you think we make that makes our team younger?

Zaza and West gone automatically make us overall younger.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Re: Warriors will try and get younger this offseason 

Post#2 » by Badly Browned » Sat Jun 9, 2018 9:01 am

What else can they do outside trimming their crop of Centers?

I think the Warriors keep one veteran Center to compliment a young crop of Bell, Looney (hopefully), and Jones. Zaza and West replaced by young wings. Probably their 1st rd draft pick on a wing. I think Nick Young's spot remains a spot for a veteran wing.

So that basically means the Warriors FA targets are re-signing McCaw (likely considering his season), re-signing Looney (more likely of the two to be gone), a veteran Center, and a veteran wing.

Maybe MLE on a wing (rumor is Ariza could take a pay cut to join Warriors?), and bring McGee back on a minimum deal.

Roster breakdown:
Curry / Livingston / Cook
Klay / McCaw / Draft
Durant / Iguodala/ Free Agent
Green / Bell
FA(McGee?) / Looney / Jones

So the Warriors have one roster spot to play with, either getting BPA with a 2nd rounder they purchase or hunting for ring chasers on the veteran minimum.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#3 » by whocurrz » Sat Jun 9, 2018 9:10 am

Ariza is pulling an Iggy to play hardball with the Rockets as they probably want a huge pay cut and are talking about Paul George. Plus he’s not young. I thought no they move on from some of the veteran Cs and just try to develop young wings
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#4 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Jun 9, 2018 12:42 pm

When Kerr was hugging Damian Jones he said "next year is your year".

I suspect that Warriors cut Zaza, David West, Shaun giving time for Damian, Jordan Bell, Kevon Looney, Cook. The year will be spent primarily grooming those guys.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#5 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Jun 9, 2018 5:00 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:When Kerr was hugging Damian Jones he said "next year is your year".

I suspect that Warriors cut Zaza, David West, Shaun giving time for Damian, Jordan Bell, Kevon Looney, Cook. The year will be spent primarily grooming those guys.

Zaza and West will probably both retire and McCaw, Swaggy and Looney will be let go. Keeping Shaun is a no brainer, no chance he's traded. Jones will get the Looney role, I think Javale will come back on the minimum, Cook will get minutes to keep Shaun's minutes down during the regular season.

Myers da God
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
BG
Sixth Man
And1: 458

Post#6 » by BG » Sat Jun 9, 2018 5:19 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:When Kerr was hugging Damian Jones he said "next year is your year".

I think Javale will come back on the minimum,

i really hope he comes back, but i have to say, in the post game press-conference, he seemed kind of pissed about his playing time never being consistent. i just thougth it was interesting that he mentioned that and sort of demanded more minutes even though he just won back 2 back rings.
Warriors!!!
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#7 » by Impuniti » Sat Jun 9, 2018 5:36 pm

Can Javale and Looney come back? I think people are overrating how much Looney will get from other teams. Only teams I see offering more than max are the top 5-6 teams in the league to weaken the Warriors.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,288

Post#8 » by CS707 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 6:23 pm

Impuniti wrote:Can Javale and Looney come back? I think people are overrating how much Looney will get from other teams. Only teams I see offering more than max are the top 5-6 teams in the league to weaken the Warriors.

Agree on Looney but can we even match a modest offer from another team?

I’d still like to see a real backup PG brought in.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#9 » by East Bay Sports » Sat Jun 9, 2018 7:04 pm

Yea the deal with Kevon isn't that teams are going to pay him a ton, it's that matching any offer is going to be tough for us on Pat or Kevon.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#10 » by BW32 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 7:40 pm

Regarding Looney to put things in perspective Dedmon got about 7 a year after a comparable playoff showing with the Spurs, we can't even give Kevon Swaggy money that's why most of us think he's gone not because he's gonna get some 4/50 offer.

I read Lacob's quotes and I think he was just leaving the possibility open to buying a second, I do wonder on a personal level if Shaun could fetch a pick on this draft.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#11 » by 510TWSS » Sat Jun 9, 2018 7:56 pm

ESPN had a post game 4 pod with windhorst, Spears, Thompson and a few others they said the warriors will likely reshuffle their center rotation and want a starter or bench big that can score on his own inside.

Basically an inside presence you’ll have to respect inside, ala our own capela (though likely not capela as he’d cost too much).

They threw out the name Nerlens Noel. Iono if Noel can get his head out of his ass or that he’s a good enough offensive presence to be worth it.

It’d be interesting to add Ariza but I think as others have stated that he’s most likely using us for leverage. Saul Goodman.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#12 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Jun 9, 2018 8:05 pm

Looney at 4/50m? Jeez, I hope teams aren't that dumb for their sake. I was thinking like 2/12m tops. I mean what does he bring except for some solid defense and decent finishing skills?

East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#13 » by East Bay Sports » Sat Jun 9, 2018 8:19 pm

BW32 wrote:Regarding Looney to put things in perspective Dedmon got about 7 a year after a comparable playoff showing with the Spurs, we can't even give Kevon Swaggy money that's why most of us think he's gone not because he's gonna get some 4/50 offer.

I read Lacob's quotes and I think he was just leaving the possibility open to buying a second, I do wonder on a personal level if Shaun could fetch a pick on this draft.

I don't think teams would move a pick for Livingston at this point. Don't think he presents much value to other teams. On this team he and Andre can coast/save energy all season and unleash in the playoffs. I'm fine with that. Both deserve to retire with this team as far as I'm concerned.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,258

Post#14 » by wco81 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 8:46 pm

Zaza and West may be the obvious ones to move on from but if the Warriors don't replace them with players who got size and strength, a lot of the Warriors physicality disappears and you're going to have Dray and KD bang too much in some games with much stronger players.

As for Livingston and Iggy, they both raised their games in the playoffs, a lot in the case of Iggy with his 3-point shooting. They both defend and they can finish strong on those cuts when teams are blitzing Curry and Klay.

I think they're too important in the playoffs to move, unless they get equally good clutch players. I believe Kerr when he says the Warriors would have won in 5 if Iggy wasn't injured.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#15 » by BW32 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 9:03 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Looney at 4/50m? Jeez, I hope teams aren't that dumb for their sake. I was thinking like 2/12m tops. I mean what does he bring except for some solid defense and decent finishing skills?

You read that wrong bruh.

BW32 wrote:Regarding Looney to put things in perspective Dedmon got about 7 a year after a comparable playoff showing with the Spurs, we can't even give Kevon Swaggy money that's why most of us think he's gone not because he's gonna get some 4/50 offer.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#16 » by Impuniti » Sat Jun 9, 2018 9:25 pm

I'd replace Swaggy with Ian Clark for the minimum and get a proper point guard if they can find something available. Preferably someone who can defend and create for others. That way, even Shaun can be used as an SG in a defensive lineup if he's not going to get sold after KD opts in.
Blue_crush
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#17 » by Blue_crush » Sat Jun 9, 2018 9:26 pm

Based on what Kerr said postgame, you know Jones is going to be involved.

I have a feeling Warriors will get McCaw back (other teams won't see enough of a sure thing there to make a big financial commitment), and maybe it's wishful thinking, but some of Looney's comments have me thinking he's on the Klay mindset. Tryna stick around this group, Kerr, the Bay, at least for another year or two.

Although I agree that he won't be back, I think people are underestimating the impact West had on the second unit. He was one of the most reliable shotmakers and passers coming off the bench. That wasn't as apparent in the playoffs, because starters were logging so many minutes and the full bench wasn't out there -- but he gave them a big impact on a night-in, night-out basis through the grind of the regular season.

To me, the priorities are:
1. A younger playmaking wing, with a similar skillset to Barbosa (outside shooting, penetration, passing), who can offer some explosiveness and scoring off the bench
2. A long 5 who can fit in with the ball movement, and also have an impact from the post (if McGee could shore up his post presence, he'd remain the perfect fit I think). This might be Jones.
3. Another backup PG. Didn't get to watch enough QC this year, so maybe they're thinking he develops into what they need (very possible, looking at the upward trajectory of all the Warrior yougins over the last 8 years). But it's a totally different style of play when Shaun is in there as opposed to Steph, and then when Klay's shots aren't falling with the second unit, they can be prone to big ruts. Shaun is more of a natural SG anyway, and it would be really exciting to see him in there with a crafty ballhandler who has more of an outside range to his shot (while Shaun keeps FEASTIN on that midrange)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#18 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Jun 9, 2018 11:24 pm

BW32 wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:Looney at 4/50m? Jeez, I hope teams aren't that dumb for their sake. I was thinking like 2/12m tops. I mean what does he bring except for some solid defense and decent finishing skills?

You read that wrong bruh.

wco81
RealGM

Post#19 » by wco81 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:11 am

One reason they may just let Looney go is if Boucher shows promise recovering from ACL.

Though maybe they don't have high expectations of him. He's got the same 7-3 wingspan as Looney, not much more than Bell's 7-0 wingspan.

And at 6-10, only 200 pounds?
wco81
RealGM

Post#20 » by wco81 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:17 am

Wonder if they'll try to get Bell to put on some muscle, so he could play more often in the death lineup.

Maybe kind of be a Harrison B. who doesn't have to shoot the corner 3s.

Return to Golden State Warriors