ImageImageImageImageImage

Dray and Klay likely to decline extensions this offseason.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Re: Dray and Klay likely to decline extensions this offseason. 

Post#41 » by azwfan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 am

Hopper15 wrote:
wco81 wrote:I guess Klay and Dray have a lot riding on next season, to qualify for the super max.
Only two super max contracts per team so it'll be most interesting if both qualify.

I wouldn't give either one the super max even if they do qualify.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#42 » by Impuniti » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:45 pm

The supermax is for 5-6 players in the entire league, that's it. It's hilarious and unsurprising though that the ego on these guys to think they deserve it. Not talking just Dray, I mean even players like Wall or Blake.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#43 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Impuniti wrote:The supermax is for 5-6 players in the entire league, that's it. It's hilarious and unsurprising though that the ego on these guys to think they deserve it. Not talking just Dray, I mean even players like Wall or Blake.

How is it determined who the 5 or 6 players are? I mean what's the criteria, and who are the ones deciding?

Do the players vote?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#44 » by Impuniti » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Impuniti wrote:The supermax is for 5-6 players in the entire league, that's it. It's hilarious and unsurprising though that the ego on these guys to think they deserve it. Not talking just Dray, I mean even players like Wall or Blake.

How is it determined who the 5 or 6 players are? I mean what's the criteria, and who are the ones deciding?

Do the players vote?

I'm saying getting such a substantial amount should be held for the absolute top players in the league, not just best player on the team. If management wants to give that to any top 20 player in the league, go ahead and cripple the team. But that team is not going to be able to form a team that is going be worth anything for the future.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#45 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:06 pm

It's Boy Myers JOB to trade Klay and/or Draymond if he knows they can't financially keep both.

From what I've seen...Bob is proactive...and wouldn't just let them lose Klay or Dray after next to year if he projects they won't keep them both at max deals.

The best thing for the Franchise might be to move them THIS offseason IF they don't sign extensions.

And the best thing I can think of is trading these guys to either get LeBron or Anthony Davis.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#46 » by watch1958 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Kuya wrote:Dray likely to decline extension so that he can try and qualify for supermax next offseason. Klay's dad said he won't sign this offseason, most likely so that Klay can have more financial advantage next offseason when he'll be a highly coveted FA.

Hmm, after next season, i'm not sure if we can keep the both of them.

i'd prefer to keep Klay over Dray though if the time comes when we'll have to make a choice.
It is my understanding that if the take extensions now, they are under the old CBA and their max is limited by that. If they become FA, they are under the new CBA. So while a player might have to think hard about how much money they want, vs keeping the team together, they want to be able to make that decision against their full value, not limited by the old CBA.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#47 » by Phase 3 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:33 pm

LeBron ain’t coming to the Warriors. He knows how bad that would look. And the Pelicans aren’t trading AD this offseason...maybe they consider it next offseason but at that point Klay will be a free agent and Draymond will only have 1 year left on his deal. Thus, the possibility of trading for AD is really low unless Klay and Draymond commit to an extension before then...and both guys have given indications that they are not going to do that. If AD gets traded, Boston would be in the driver seat(by far) to get him because they have young, talented players under team control for years to come.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#48 » by likashing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:55 pm

gsw213 wrote:Thus, the possibility of trading for AD is really low unless Klay and Draymond commit to an extension before

Exactly. Another good reason why they won't extend this summer. They don't want to become trade chips. Klay and Draymond on a 3-4 year contract at ~$25m are great contracts. They want to dictate their terms, and where they want to play (including staying with the Warriors and Steph/KD), instead of becoming a trade chip. They know it is a business in the end, no matter what Lacob and Myers say to them before extending, no matter whether they think Myers and Lacob are stand-up people.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#49 » by likashing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 pm

watch1958 wrote:
Kuya wrote:Dray likely to decline extension so that he can try and qualify for supermax next offseason. Klay's dad said he won't sign this offseason, most likely so that Klay can have more financial advantage next offseason when he'll be a highly coveted FA.

Hmm, after next season, i'm not sure if we can keep the both of them.

i'd prefer to keep Klay over Dray though if the time comes when we'll have to make a choice.
It is my understanding that if the take extensions now, they are under the old CBA and their max is limited by that. If they become FA, they are under the new CBA. So while a player might have to think hard about how much money they want, vs keeping the team together, they want to be able to make that decision against their full value, not limited by the old CBA.

Nah, extension is limited to a certain % increase from their current contract. When they become a FA, their max will be % based on the cap. The extension years are limited too. There is just no reason for them to extend now unless they are really sacred of something happening this season and they won't be able to get a decent contract.

Let's face it, worst case scenario, if they get hurt and miss the whole next season, some team is still going to give them $20+m per year given their track record. The Warriors would too. So why extend now? I wouldn't if I were them.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#50 » by likashing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

Do the players vote?

It may be the "Impuniti thinks you are worth it" list.

Having said that, I can't stand players like Wall who keeps counting the next guy's contract. And IT who makes these "Brink truck" statements while having achieved absolutely nothing in his career.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,082

Post#51 » by Outside » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:26 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:It's Boy Myers JOB to trade Klay and/or Draymond if he knows they can't financially keep both.

From what I've seen...Bob is proactive...and wouldn't just let them lose Klay or Dray after next to year if he projects they won't keep them both at max deals.

The best thing for the Franchise might be to move them THIS offseason IF they don't sign extensions.

And the best thing I can think of is trading these guys to either get LeBron or Anthony Davis.

There is so much wrong here.

The plan is to keep both. Just because they opt out doesn't mean they're going to demand max deals.

Why are you in such a hurry to move on from a championship roster? Even if Klay and Dray both came out and said they weren't re-signing with the team, I'd still keep them both next season and go for another title. This is such a rare thing. Some people seem to be spoiled and think the Warriors can retool on the fly to keep the titles coming indefinitely, but that isn't how it works. The Celtics in the 60s and the Spurs in the Duncan years are the only teams I can think of that swapped out core pieces and still won titles over a longer period. Everybody else, you win a title with a core group, you keep that core group together, and when that core group goes, so does championship contention.

Jordan Bell is not Draymond Green. He might develop into a guy who can play enough minutes to lower Draymond's workload in the regular season and maybe extend his career, but he's not Draymond 2.0.

The fit and chemistry of this roster is remarkable and an essential part of their success. If it came down to it, I'd rather let Durant go and keep Klay and Dray rather than the other way around.

Anthony Davis? Why on earth would the Pelicans trade him? He's their cornerstone.

LeBron? What about him would fit on this team? He's not going to change the way he plays to fit this system. Anywhere he goes, he'll demand to be the focal point of the offense. And he doesn't play defense anymore. And he wants power over an organization and creates tons of drama in the locker room, which is the exact opposite of what the Warriors have. No. Thank. You. Go transform an organization in your image someplace else.

Maybe you weren't serious. If so, then sorry.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#52 » by likashing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:58 pm

These guys wanting to pre-preemptively trade Klay/Draymond because they "might" not re-sign next season... are they the same guys who posted about "fire Kerr" and "trade KD no matter what"?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,718

Post#53 » by floppymoose » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:07 am

gsw213 wrote:LeBron ain’t coming to the Warriors.

I don’t actually want LeBron to come to the Warriors. But I’ll tell you what I *do* want.

I want someone to hack Woj’s, Lebron’s, and Meyers twitter accounts; then announce Lebron to Warriors from Woj account, followed by confirmations from the other two.

Then I want to bask in the post-nuclear glow on the GB.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,718

Post#54 » by floppymoose » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:12 am

If they want to get younger it’s draft, trade, and sign guys like Cook. Actual young prospects are not coming here as FA’s. Young guys all want PT.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#55 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:29 am

likashing wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Do the players vote?

It may be the "Impuniti thinks you are worth it" list.

Having said that, I can't stand players like Wall who keeps counting the next guy's contract. And IT who makes these "Brink truck" statements while having achieved absolutely nothing in his career.

Hes right. Maybe not as low as 5....but really only the top 10 players in the league (or those that will be top 10 soon) that deserve it.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#56 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 am

Doesn't matter, players should get whatever deal they can make.

Washington gave into Wall, because they still hope they can make a big jump from a treadmill team.

Just like the Caps survived for years by promoting individual star players, even if the team never won titles, Wizards may have no choice but to pay the best players on a treadmill team the super max, in case they can make a jump but also to keep the fans buying tickets.

Wall is a flawed player but still an all-star level guy who sells tickets. What are they going to do, let him go for nothing or sign and trade for some journeymen players?

If Houston pays Paul the max, then we'll know the players have teams over a barrel.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#57 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:50 am

wco81 wrote:Doesn't matter, players should get whatever deal they can make.

Washington gave into Wall, because they still hope they can make a big jump from a treadmill team.

Just like the Caps survived for years by promoting individual star players, even if the team never won titles, Wizards may have no choice but to pay the best players on a treadmill team the super max, in case they can make a jump but also to keep the fans buying tickets.

Wall is a flawed player but still an all-star level guy who sells tickets. What are they going to do, let him go for nothing or sign and trade for some journeymen players?

If Houston pays Paul the max, then we'll know the players have teams over a barrel.

If you think it's a good idea to give a guy like Wall 40% of your cap, by all means.
wco81
RealGM

Post#58 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:04 am

I'm not saying it's a good idea. Unless the front office is deluded, they realize that contract may only be to maintain what they have, not necessarily jump to the top of the league.

I remember when KG got a record deal with the Wolves, a sports economist said at the time the team didn't have a choice. If they couldn't keep KG at that time, the franchise probably wouldn't have survived or would have to move.

Bucks are probably going to face that when Giannis is up for his deal. They can't attract big free agents to Milwaukee so the team isn't going to make big jumps, even if Giannis has several MVP seasons. They would need draftees to break out and perform way better than expected.

But the team has no choice but to give Giannis the biggest deal he can get when he's a free agent. Yet it's pretty likely that the team will never get to the Finals. Maybe get to the ECF if everything falls right.

The alternative is that teams let these all-star players go and watch attendance plummet.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#59 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:11 am

wco81 wrote:I'm not saying it's a good idea. Unless the front office is deluded, they realize that contract may only be to maintain what they have, not necessarily jump to the top of the league.

I remember when KG got a record deal with the Wolves, a sports economist said at the time the team didn't have a choice. If they couldn't keep KG at that time, the franchise probably wouldn't have survived or would have to move.

Bucks are probably going to face that when Giannis is up for his deal. They can't attract big free agents to Milwaukee so the team isn't going to make big jumps, even if Giannis has several MVP seasons. They would need draftees to break out and perform way better than expected.

But the team has no choice but to give Giannis the biggest deal he can get when he's a free agent. Yet it's pretty likely that the team will never get to the Finals. Maybe get to the ECF if everything falls right.

The alternative is that teams let these all-star players go and watch attendance plummet.

You trade them to someone willing to give them that much money.

But giving 40% of your cap to players like Wall and Draymond and Klay is exactly how you make sure you're first round fodder for the next 10 years.
wco81
RealGM

Post#60 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:53 am

But even if they signed team friendly deals this summer, for like $25 million each, that wouldn't necessarily allow the Warriors to add good reserves, like say a good 6th man who could light it up and command $8 to 12 million.

Or even if they could, how do we know Lacob will pay for such players? He might just pocket the luxury tax savings.

Who could blame him? They repeated with a top-heavy roster. Warriors bench was one of the worst in the league I heard in 3 pointers made or percentage.

So why would team-friendly deals make them pay for someone who'd earn more than the vet minimum or more than the MLE?

Warriors stood pat at the trade deadline and didn't go into the buyout market looking for someone like Bellinelli. Maybe they didn't like the players who were available or maybe they figured it wasn't worth spending more money.

And they won the championship with the roster pret much as-is.

Return to Golden State Warriors