ImageImageImageImageImage

Dray and Klay likely to decline extensions this offseason.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Re: Dray and Klay likely to decline extensions this offseason. 

Post#61 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:06 am

Article talks about the possible routes for KD, Klay and Draymond.

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nba/keeping-the-warriors-together-746/

Potentially $100 million in luxury taxes after next season depending on what the contract values end up being.

They suggest replacing Klay with an MLE player like Reddick, Ariza or Ellington as a possibility.

Ok the Warriors would be crucified if they got rid of Klay for one of those players when they're trying for a threepeat.

Now Warriors fans think they can trade away Klay for AD but that's a pipe dream unless AD demands he be traded to the Warriors. That's not going to happen until at least next season, if Pelicans have a horrible season.

So maybe a trade during the season. Even then, if the Warriors are en route to 60 plus wins and trying to threepeat with this group, even trading for someone like AD won't go over with a lot of fans since Klay is such a huge fan favorite.

So it would have to happen in the offseason but if they threepeat, the pressure will be on Lacob to try for four-peat, which no team has done since the Bill Russell Celtics teams.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Post#62 » by Outside » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 pm

With sports betting legalized and the NBA likely to get some kind of cut of that money, the cap could be in for another spike. The luxury tax bill may not be as bad as has been forecast.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#63 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:34 pm

I heard the Warriors made something like 130 million on the Playoffs and Finals. Don't know the exact details, but they are fine financially.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Bandito
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#64 » by Bandito » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Impuniti wrote:The idea of Dray getting a supermax from anyone is hysterical.

Not to me. Best defender and leader in the NBA. Id be terrified if we let him go and he ended up on a team like the Rockets. Dude is just a flat out winner and can be the difference between a good team and a championship caliber team. We must keep Dray imo.
wco81
RealGM

Post#65 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I heard the Warriors made something like 130 million on the Playoffs and Finals. Don't know the exact details, but they are fine financially.

That's what they grossed.

It's all before the NBA gets its cut.

Obviously the team would like Klay and Dray to extend this summer. It would save them over $100 million between those players just for their salaries, before the luxury taxes on the difference.

So it seems like it's about saving on luxury taxes, depending on what they want to pay and what the players want.
wco81
RealGM

Post#66 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:12 pm

OK, with the big news this morning, do the Warriors trade Klay or Dray for Kawhi?

Doubt Spurs would trade with the Warriors. Really they shouldn't trade with ANY WC team or for that matter, other contenders like the Celtics and the 76ers.

But it wouldn't save the team money, as Kawhi wants his $219 million super max. With his health problem, which he may have faked, do you give him that contract and get rid of Klay or Dray?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Post#67 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:15 pm

wco81 wrote:But even if they signed team friendly deals this summer, for like $25 million each, that wouldn't necessarily allow the Warriors to add good reserves, like say a good 6th man who could light it up and command $8 to 12 million.

Or even if they could, how do we know Lacob will pay for such players? He might just pocket the luxury tax savings.

Who could blame him? They repeated with a top-heavy roster. Warriors bench was one of the worst in the league I heard in 3 pointers made or percentage.

So why would team-friendly deals make them pay for someone who'd earn more than the vet minimum or more than the MLE?

Warriors stood pat at the trade deadline and didn't go into the buyout market looking for someone like Bellinelli. Maybe they didn't like the players who were available or maybe they figured it wasn't worth spending more money.

And they won the championship with the roster pret much as-is.

There's a huge difference in overall in paying them 32mil and 25mil, not just on the cap, but the YOY tax bill as well. It's going to be north of $200mil in two years, and I don't care how many rings we're winning, that's an insane amount of money to pay as just tax.

Are you suggesting that we should give both Klay and Dray the max?
wco81
RealGM

Post#68 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:25 pm

clyde21 wrote:
wco81 wrote:But even if they signed team friendly deals this summer, for like $25 million each, that wouldn't necessarily allow the Warriors to add good reserves, like say a good 6th man who could light it up and command $8 to 12 million.

Or even if they could, how do we know Lacob will pay for such players? He might just pocket the luxury tax savings.

Who could blame him? They repeated with a top-heavy roster. Warriors bench was one of the worst in the league I heard in 3 pointers made or percentage.

So why would team-friendly deals make them pay for someone who'd earn more than the vet minimum or more than the MLE?

Warriors stood pat at the trade deadline and didn't go into the buyout market looking for someone like Bellinelli. Maybe they didn't like the players who were available or maybe they figured it wasn't worth spending more money.

And they won the championship with the roster pret much as-is.

There's a huge difference in overall in paying them 32mil and 25mil, not just on the cap, but the YOY tax bill as well. It's going to be north of $200mil in two years, and I don't care how many rings we're winning, that's an insane amount of money to pay as just tax.

Are you suggesting that we should give both Klay and Dray the max?

No I'm not saying that. But if it's a choice between the players getting more money or the team keeping more, I'm for the players all the time.

I'm saying paying them 25 million will only save luxury taxes. It won't allow the team to acquire better players in the next 3-4 years.

Say Kerr and Myers decide they want Eric Gordon who is available and they would have to pay him a $15 million deal. Does paying Klay and Dray lower amounts allow the Warriors to add such a contract? My understanding of the cap is that it wouldn't.

And even if they could, do we know Lacob who wanted to save on luxury taxes would pay it?
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#69 » by likashing » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:10 pm

floppymoose wrote:
gsw213 wrote:LeBron ain’t coming to the Warriors.

I don’t actually want LeBron to come to the Warriors. But I’ll tell you what I *do* want.

I want someone to hack Woj’s, Lebron’s, and Meyers twitter accounts; then announce Lebron to Warriors from Woj account, followed by confirmations from the other two.

Then I want to bask in the post-nuclear glow on the GB.

Don't want Elizabeth. Don't want his baggage and entourage. Don't want him hogging the ball. Don't want him not playing defense.

He is such a bad fit for us and the list is so long. I wouldn't even trade Jordan Bell for him if their salaries matched.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#70 » by Senchu » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Sure would be nice to have Logo around with all these kwahi's/ADs and what not...
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#71 » by cladden » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:53 am

In my opinion there's really no player that you can sign with supermax money under the cap and build a contender with. The only way to build a great team when spending that much money on a single player, be it LeBron, KD, Curry, AD or Harden is to structure your contracts so that you can deep into tax territory. After this whole Warriors dynasty ends I'd be in favor of a hard cap tbh.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#72 » by Impuniti » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:22 pm

wco81 wrote:OK, with the big news this morning, do the Warriors trade Klay or Dray for Kawhi?

Doubt Spurs would trade with the Warriors. Really they shouldn't trade with ANY WC team or for that matter, other contenders like the Celtics and the 76ers.

But it wouldn't save the team money, as Kawhi wants his $219 million super max. With his health problem, which he may have faked, do you give him that contract and get rid of Klay or Dray?

This seems like a poor risk factor. He has 1 year and you need to wait 6 months after he signs the contract to extend, so really you hope that he doesn't leave after 1 year rental is done. Kawhi will also ask a lot more than either Klay or Dray (well.. the supermax talk made me laugh for Draymond). If Warriors take a risk on a superstar, I wouldn't do it on the guy who I'm not sure was injured for half a season but decided not to play (he was cleared in October).
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#73 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:49 pm

You guys are preposterous. If you were so blessed as to get to watch Steph Curry and Lebron James share the basketball court for your home team you should sacrifice your first born and slap you mama.

I hate Draymond's idiot ass and I cheer for him because he's a phenomenal basketball player who helps our team. "I don't want Lebron" ... quit being stoopid.

You guys need to accept it. We are the Yankees. We are the evil empire. Bring unto me all of the ring chasers and I will suckle them to Bob Myers bosom. If Karl Malone can still throw an elbow he can be our 15th man. Revel in our supremacy.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#74 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm fine saying I don't want Lebron. I like beating him, it makes me all wet and tingly. We don't have to want him because of how great a player he is.

To me, Durant fits with our team better. Lebron would make it all about Lebron....Eff that, ESPN can have him. I hope he goes to the Lakers and they also get Kawhi, because those games will be epic.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
couchie
Pro Prospect
And1: 495

Post#75 » by couchie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Kawhi can't do what Dray can on defense and he would be the 4th best offensive player on the team so NO. We don't know his health situation and anyone who would sit out a full year and not even want to speak to the team is not somebody you want on your team. WTF?
And Lebron? I hate him so muich I don't even know if I could watch the warriors with him on the team. He doesn't even play defense so we would be so much worse with him. And offensively, is that the kind of basketball you want to watch every day. Spare me he wants to play off the ball nonsense. So double no.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#76 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:34 am

There is no chance of Kawhi or LeBron ever coming to the Warriors, I don't know why it's even a discussion.

Return to Golden State Warriors