giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Re: Warriors select Jacob Evans, G, Cincinnati with the 28th pick 

Post#61 » by giberish » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:14 am

WarFan wrote:
FNQ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
It's a good thing the Warriors have a system defensively.

If only it was the same one, but I’m assuming people knew that

It was about as similar as you could get in college. Cincy switched almost everything.

Evans was the first guy I liked when I started looking at draft prospects for the dubs. He's an almost perfect defensive fit on the wing for GS. On offense I tend to prefer guys with one great strength which is not Evans. However, he's average to above average everywhere on offense.

He played 3 years so he's ready to go but he's also almost a full year young for a junior so there's still more to develop. Great intensity, bbiq and he played thru a few injuries this last year (might have hampered his 3P%).

I don't think he has much upside past solid rotation wing (4-7th man) but I think his floor is high and he's ready to go. He's not a sexy pick but the most sensible.

Being young for his class is good. It makes you more likely to be drafted later then you should (so bad for the player but good for the team drafting them). Sophs the age of freshman tend to be big draft wins but a junior the age of a soph is also good.

Was his FT% in college good? That tends to predict future NBA shooting as well as college 3fg% (due to low sample-sizes and shot-quality variation depending on team and role).
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#62 » by shazam_guy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:23 am

Evans is a better scorer than McCaw.

I think it's a good pick, and with a win-now team that needs a younger bench, a safe pick. Remember, we're the Yankees now. We're the Patriots. Time will tell. But as Miley said, I'll trust the front office until proven otherwise, at which point I will join the throng in denouncing them as evil and their regime as corrupt.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#63 » by Quazza » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 am

from Sam Veceni

28. The Warriors select Jacob Evans with the 28th pick. Evans worked out twice for the Warriors, who were extremely interested in him throughout the process. It’s easy to see why. The team tends to value guys who can handle the ball, make good decisions with it, knock down shots at a high clip, and defend multiple positions. Evans checks all of those boxes, and is an absolutely tremendous fit for the Warriors. He also fills a need, as the team struggled with its perimeter depth in the playoffs after a spate of injuries put them in a tough spot.

It’s really hard to overemphasize how tremendous this pick is. Not only do the Warriors get a great fit, but also they also get a value pick who was the No. 23 player on my big board. I’m surprised he was around for their pick, but other teams’ loss is the Warriors gain yet again. Another great pick by Bob Myers and company, who understand exactly what their scheme is and match talented players to it regularly.
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#64 » by Coxy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:55 am

I like the look of him. Has a good quick release and can put the ball on the floor.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,172

Post#65 » by watch1958 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:07 am

I want to see a Summer League team starting Cook, Evans, McCaw & Jones. I doubt P Mc will be resolved by then.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#66 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:28 pm

WarFan wrote:
FNQ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
It's a good thing the Warriors have a system defensively.

If only it was the same one, but I’m assuming people knew that

It was about as similar as you could get in college. Cincy switched almost everything.

I don’t think it’s similar at all, they played a ton of zone defense. At least against the good teams - maybe they ran more man to man against lesser competitors

I think Evans is capable of transitioning smoothly but don’t think it’s a given by any means. Adams’ system is dependent on quick recovery of your man, not area. We’ll see how Evans adjusts
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#67 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Quazza wrote:
EvanZ wrote:No surprise. This was one of the guys I wanted.

what do you like about him Ev?

He's solid in most areas. Got decent size for a wing, enough athleticism (not great, but maybe somewhat above average), can shoot, dribble, and pass. Switchable on d, good motor, high BBIQ. I have a feeling he'll contribute meaningful minutes even next season.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#68 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:07 pm

This is the best video of him. He seems super crafty in the lane with good touch. His footwork down there is really good (Jim Barnett approves!)

floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#69 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:47 pm

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018/5/29/17406154/the-jacob-evans-archetype-will-be-high-in-demand-during-predraft-process-phoenix-suns-nba-draft

"Comparing right alongside proven productive players like Larry Nance Jr., James Ennis, and Delon Wright. Evans' ceiling outcome points toward Draymond Green, the most versatile player in the league. If he comes anywhere close to that, Phoenix snagged gold in the mid-first round.

"When diving further into film on Evans, he gives off Draymond-esque vibes. He's an all-around prospect who can pass, shoot, and defend at an above-average level. That leads me towards doubting he's available at the top of the second round, so possibly No. 16 or trade back scenarios to acquire Evans would need to go down.

"The last wing drafted to average at least 13 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists (excellent 1.8 AST/TO ratio for wing), 1 steal, 1 block while also shooting +37% from deep is actually Green himself. Like Green, Evans is very compatible in almost every lineup combination. He has the possiblities of becoming a secondary playmaker who can play 1-4 easily down the line."
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#70 » by likashing » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:20 pm

I like his Brian Grant hairdo.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#71 » by Mac1958 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Kinda sounds like a wing version of Jordan Bell.

Smart, crafty, defense, do-it-all.

If that's the case, that far down in the draft, sounds good to me.
DIO
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#72 » by DIO » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:51 pm

I'm starting to like him :D
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#73 » by CalGTR » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:55 pm

In Meyers (and Draymond) we trust. I'd trust our FO anyway, but I like the way this cat looks. He's exactly the kind of guy I figured they'd go after, and I'm glad they found one. His shot looks pretty decent to me, so hopefully he can develop solid NBA 3pt ability and become the 3-and-D guy we hope he can be. If he really does have a high BB IQ, he's got a shot at actually providing a meaningful contribution to this dynastic squad. He's certainly going to be given every opportunity to grow into a rotation player. He wasn't a lottery pick last night, but what an amazing opportunity for this young man.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#74 » by Samurai » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Mac1958 wrote:Kinda sounds like a wing version of Jordan Bell.

Smart, crafty, defense, do-it-all.

If that's the case, that far down in the draft, sounds good to me.

To me he sounds like a younger, unproven version of Iguodala.

His primary attribute is intelligence. He is said to have an extremely high b-ball IQ; his college coach said he is the smartest player he has ever coached and described Evans as being like a second coach on the floor.

His primary physical skill is defense. He prides himself on taking on the other team's biggest offensive weapon.

He can make the open 3 and is particularly accurate when he can get his feet set. But he struggles to create his own shot.

He is a combo SF/SG. He is definitely not a full-time PG, but he can play the point in a pinch if needed. He played PG in high school and was called on to run the point in spurts in his final year at Cincinnati.

Those traits (intelligence, defense, ability hit an open 3 but can't create his own shot, more a 2 or 3 but can play the 1 if needed for short spurts) sounds like a scouting report on Iguodala. Obviously AI's bball IQ and defense are at an elite NBA level, so I am NOT saying that Evans can step into AI's role on the team. But knowing that Andre is not getting any younger, it looks to me that Myers took a chance on someone who may be able to grow into that role in the future.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#75 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Best comparison I've seen is Jimmy Butler.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#76 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Brandon Rush?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#77 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:48 pm

rich man's James Harden
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#78 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:Brandon Rush?

Rush had those really long arms.
Khoee wrote “
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#79 » by Samurai » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:11 pm

gsw213 wrote:Someone please talk me into this pick lol

Because he is NOT Todd Fuller!!
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#80 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:12 pm

I like the fact that Draymond watched his workout and said he'd fit in with what we do defensively.

Return to Golden State Warriors