HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Re: Patrick McCaw 

Post#241 » by HiRez » Sun Nov 4, 2018 5:11 am

xdrta+ wrote:
HiRez wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Letting spite make your decisions would be a terrible way to run a franchise. McCaw has potential, why throw it away?

He had potential 2 years ago, it’s been all downhill since then. Right now he looks like a “potential” disaster. Whether it’s too soon or he was given too much time I don’t know, but at some point you have to cut bait.

Just like the Raptors had to with McKinnie a few months ago.

It's not really comparable, McKinnie got a grand total of 53 minutes spread over 14 games (3.9 mpg) in 1 year, that's it. That's not even enough time to break a sweat. Last year alone, McCaw got almost 1,000 minutes in 57 games (16.9 mpg). And over 2,000 minutes played in his 2 years. Even in McCaw's "good" year, he averaged 4 ppg on 43% shooting. He played better defense that year, but not to the point where he should have hold out leverage. I wish the guy well but he had his shot with the Warriors and blew it.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#242 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 5:21 pm

HiRez wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
LeonGenesis wrote:I don't want him back either. He was offered a decent contract, but he declined the offer. See ya later then. There are more than capable players out there who want to play for an organization like Warriors.

Letting spite make your decisions would be a terrible way to run a franchise. McCaw has potential, why throw it away?

He had potential 2 years ago, it’s been all downhill since then. Right now he looks like a “potential” disaster. Whether it’s too soon or he was given too much time I don’t know, but at some point you have to cut bait.

He's 23. He can still get better. I wouldn't chase him to the exclusion to someone else, there are only 7 players under contract at the moment, and I can see McCaw get a chance to show enough to earn a spot and PT.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#243 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 5:23 pm

HiRez wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
HiRez wrote:He had potential 2 years ago, it’s been all downhill since then. Right now he looks like a “potential” disaster. Whether it’s too soon or he was given too much time I don’t know, but at some point you have to cut bait.

It's not really comparable, McKinnie got a grand total of 53 minutes spread over 14 games (3.9 mpg) in 1 year, that's it. That's not even enough time to break a sweat. Last year alone, McCaw got almost 1,000 minutes in 57 games (16.9 mpg). And over 2,000 minutes played in his 2 years. Even in McCaw's "good" year, he averaged 4 ppg on 43% shooting. He played better defense that year, but not to the point where he should have hold out leverage. I wish the guy well but he had his shot with the Warriors and blew it.

Teams give up on players too early all the time. McCaw's last chance is not in the past.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#244 » by xdrta+ » Sun Nov 4, 2018 5:38 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
HiRez wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Teams give up on players too early all the time. McCaw's last chance is not in the past.

So many teams are under pressure to win right now that they don't have the time or patience to develop players. The Warriors have their core, which takes care of winning, so they do have that time - witness Looney, Jones, Bell, now McKinnie. They can give Evans all the time he needs. It is quite a luxury. I still have hope that McCaw has a future here.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#245 » by killmongrel » Sun Nov 4, 2018 9:52 pm

The Warriors look stack at every position right now except for shooting guard. If McCaw decided he wants to re-sign, I would welcome him back if it didn't mess with the locker room. I know that some of the players aren't too happy with him. But if Jacob is able to be the player the team thinks he can be, then I doubt they bring McCaw back on the team.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#246 » by likashing » Mon Nov 5, 2018 9:43 pm

With Livingston being iffy and only 1 more team option year left, and Cook not establishing yet as a reliable backup, we could use another ball handler who can backup 1/2/3. That is why they keep saying the door is still open for McCaw - not to mention they don't want to renounce his rights.

I am just not sure if McCaw's head is in the right place anymore. Our backups need to stay ready and not feel entitled because minutes come and go. You might not play for some games and Kerr will insert you in the WCF for a significant role. At this point I am not sure if McCaw is capable of handling it anymore. Humble/hungry youngsters and mature vets can do it. McCaw is neither humble, hungry, nor mature right now.

My preference is to get a vet through waivers later in the season. Heck I would even take Swaggy back before McCaw.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#247 » by xdrta+ » Mon Nov 5, 2018 10:58 pm

likashing wrote:With Livingston being iffy and only 1 more team option year left, and Cook not establishing yet as a reliable backup, we could use another ball handler who can backup 1/2/3. That is why they keep saying the door is still open for McCaw - not to mention they don't want to renounce his rights.

I am just not sure if McCaw's head is in the right place anymore. Our backups need to stay ready and not feel entitled because minutes come and go. You might not play for some games and Kerr will insert you in the WCF for a significant role. At this point I am not sure if McCaw is capable of handling it anymore. Humble/hungry youngsters and mature vets can do it. McCaw is neither humble, hungry, nor mature right now.

My preference is to get a vet through waivers later in the season. Heck I would even take Swaggy back before McCaw.

Not Swaggy, Pleeze. But there should be some choices out there. They brought up Damion Lee for tonight, who had a good start in Santa Cruz, scoring 26 points, on 11-of-15 shooting, including 2-of-4 from deep, in the opener Saturday night
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#248 » by Samurai » Tue Nov 6, 2018 1:08 am

likashing wrote:With Livingston being iffy and only 1 more team option year left, and Cook not establishing yet as a reliable backup, we could use another ball handler who can backup 1/2/3. That is why they keep saying the door is still open for McCaw - not to mention they don't want to renounce his rights.

If you are looking for a ball-handling PG who can play the 1/2/3, thy name is NOT Swaggy. He is about the last person I would think of as a ball-handling PG.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#249 » by likashing » Tue Nov 6, 2018 1:50 am

Samurai wrote:

If you are looking for a ball-handling PG who can play the 1/2/3, thy name is NOT Swaggy. He is about the last person I would think of as a ball-handling PG.

Ya I know. I am just saying how much I don't want McCaw back.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#250 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Nov 6, 2018 2:37 am

likashing wrote:Ya I know. I am just saying how much I don't want McCaw back.

And I don't understand that. McCaw's value is certainly low, but if they can get him and can't get someone clearly better I'm fine with it.

I suspect he's trying to decide if he ever wants to play again.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#251 » by likashing » Tue Nov 6, 2018 2:42 am

Scoots1994 wrote:

And I don't understand that. McCaw's value is certainly low, but if they can get him and can't get someone clearly better I'm fine with it.

Chemistry
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#252 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:50 am

likashing wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Chemistry

Nah, the players and the coaches like him.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#253 » by likashing » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:55 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
likashing wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Chemistry

Nah it’s so awkward now that he hasn’t talked to any teammate for months. I’m not naive enough to believe everything will be happy if he comes back. Not taking that risk for the #15 player.
LeonGenesis
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#254 » by LeonGenesis » Tue Nov 6, 2018 5:43 am

bye bye McCaw, please find another team so that we can stop talking about him. LOL. Warriors do NOT need him...

Thank you McCaw for turning down Warriors offer. Otherwise, we wouldn't have landed McKinnie on the team.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#255 » by SFrush » Tue Nov 6, 2018 6:12 am

likashing wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
likashing wrote:
Chemistry

Nah it’s so awkward now that he hasn’t talked to any teammate for months. I’m not naive enough to believe everything will be happy if he comes back. Not taking that risk for the #15 player.

There will be no risk.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#256 » by Mylie10 » Tue Nov 6, 2018 5:35 pm

I believe that injury last year still has him shook.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,234

Post#257 » by Onus » Tue Nov 6, 2018 7:28 pm

McCaw got some horrible advice. He's a rfa and the warriors own his rights. If he really wanted off the team he should've taken the 1 year deal and walked the next year. Now he's most likely out of the league. SMH
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#258 » by xdrta+ » Tue Nov 6, 2018 7:35 pm

Onus wrote:McCaw got some horrible advice. He's a rfa and the warriors own his rights. If he really wanted off the team he should've taken the 1 year deal and walked the next year. Now he's most likely out of the league. SMH

He couldn't walk the next year. He would be a RFA again next summer.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#259 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 4:59 pm

Shams says McCaw is talking to several teams, including the Warriors. This is bizarre.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#260 » by xdrta+ » Wed Nov 7, 2018 5:56 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Shams says McCaw is talking to several teams, including the Warriors. This is bizarre.

As a RFA, any offer sheet would have to be two years guaranteed (not including option years). It would be interesting to see if the Warriors would want to commit for that long.

Return to Golden State Warriors