ImageImageImageImageImage

Klay Watch

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,165

Re: Klay Watch 

Post#41 » by cpower » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Klay has peaked and will only get worse from here. The absolutely best option for the team would be maxing KD and letting Green to take a paycut , let Klay walk and fill out the roster with more depth and reliable 2nd units. You can't ask KD/Curry core to play 40 mins every night. Love Klay but we can only afford either him or KD, I will have to go with KD.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#42 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:51 pm

cpower wrote:Klay has peaked and will only get worse from here. The absolutely best option for the team would be maxing KD and letting Green to take a paycut , let Klay walk and fill out the roster with more depth and reliable 2nd units. You can't ask KD/Curry core to play 40 mins every night. Love Klay but we can only afford either him or KD, I will have to go with KD.

IMO, KD will be offered a max contract, it will be up to him what he wants to do with it. Klay will be offered a little more than anyone else can offer. Green they will worry about the next year. Once either KD or Klay signs, there will only be the MLE and minimum contracts to fill out the roster, just like the last few years. There won't any "more depth and reliable 2nd units," than there is now.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#43 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:03 pm

cpower wrote:Klay has peaked and will only get worse from here. The absolutely best option for the team would be maxing KD and letting Green to take a paycut , let Klay walk and fill out the roster with more depth and reliable 2nd units. You can't ask KD/Curry core to play 40 mins every night. Love Klay but we can only afford either him or KD, I will have to go with KD.

You're such a bad Klay hater that I'm starting to wonder if it's an act.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
cpower
RealGM

Post#44 » by cpower » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:03 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

IMO, KD will be offered a max contract, it will be up to him what he wants to do with it. Klay will be offered a little more than anyone else can offer. Green they will worry about the next year. Once either KD or Klay signs, there will only be the MLE and minimum contracts to fill out the roster, just like the last few years. There won't any "more depth and reliable 2nd units," than there is now.

i think it all depends on whether we win or not. If we win , it's more likely to obtain Klay. If we lose, one of KD/Klay will be gone. Team is getting older and minimum contracts will not cut
cpower
RealGM

Post#45 » by cpower » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

maybe you should focus on basketball and to disagree with reasons.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#46 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:28 pm

cpower wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

maybe you should focus on basketball and to disagree with reasons.

Ok here's something. You just said Klay will get worse from here......that is an unknown at this point and based on different people have different views on a players worth.

I don't see a decline coming from Klay, and I love his perfect fit on this team. To me he's totally worth it.

But saying ridiculous things like a guy will get worse from here, just because you don't like him, is lame.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#47 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:38 pm

You're also advocating breaking up an epic run that we have never seen with this team. And to tinker around the edges and possibly mess up a beautiful thing.
Khoee wrote “
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#48 » by a8bil » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:43 pm

cladden wrote:Maybe I'm deluding myself but I kinda fail to see how 140 mill for Klay is good use of cap space for a team that actually has that capspace. I love Klay, I think he's one of the most effective secondary players in the league but he's totally shown everyone that that is what he is. Maybe paired with the right player(s) it could make sense for someone but I think teams are way more cognizant of how much it hamstrings you to strike out at these things nowadays. Same way I feel about Draymond. These players are excellent in the Warriors system but I don't think they're nearly as beneficial as your best paid player.

Dallas called our bluff with Harrison and see how that went for them.
Yeah, you're deluding yourself. I'm with the crowd that believes Klay would not function well as a #1, but I think in any good ball movement offense, he'll shine just the way he has with GSW. Saying Klay is the equivalent of Barnes really hurts your argument. Barnes was never more than the 4-5 best player on the floor at any time, and never showed an ability to carry the offense, even in short spurts. Klay has carried the offense through entire playoff series. I dont think Klay is a better player than Allen or Reggie (or even equivalent), but he brings a lot of the same qualities to the table that they did. I'm not sure there is a more similar player to Allen or Reggie in the league right now. If Klay's your closest proxy, he should be valued in the same way, because guys like that spread the floor, demand defensive attention, and if they are not given that attention, they can light up a team in a heart beat.
cpower
RealGM

Post#49 » by cpower » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Mylie10 wrote:You're also advocating breaking up an epic run that we have never seen with this team. And to tinker around the edges and possibly mess up a beautiful thing.

i dont want to break up anything, it is what it is. We have been in decline since last year and it is virtually impossible to fix due to the crazy salary raise for our stars. Gotta pick long term success over personal references.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#50 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:40 pm

cpower wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:You're also advocating breaking up an epic run that we have never seen with this team. And to tinker around the edges and possibly mess up a beautiful thing.

i dont want to break up anything, it is what it is. We have been in decline since last year and it is virtually impossible to fix due to the crazy salary raise for our stars. Gotta pick long term success over personal references.

So your solution is to get rid of the stars and sign...who, exactly? Because unless both KD and Klay are gone, there is no cap room to sign anyone of note. If just one of them goes, we're right about the projected cap with zero room.
cpower
RealGM

Post#51 » by cpower » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:10 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
cpower wrote:

So your solution is to get rid of the stars and sign...who, exactly? Because unless both KD and Klay are gone, there is no cap room to sign anyone of note. If just one of them goes, we're right about the projected cap with zero room.

again, putting KD and Klay on the same league is not fair. KD is one of the best players and Klay has very little impact on winning this year.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#52 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:51 pm

cpower wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
cpower wrote:i dont want to break up anything, it is what it is. We have been in decline since last year and it is virtually impossible to fix due to the crazy salary raise for our stars. Gotta pick long term success over personal references.

again, putting KD and Klay on the same league is not fair. KD is one of the best players and Klay has very little impact on winning this year.

Even if true, what does that have to do with anything? If KD comes back, there's no cap room, no matter what Klay does or what the Warriors pay him.
cpower
RealGM

Post#53 » by cpower » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
cpower wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Even if true, what does that have to do with anything? If KD comes back, there's no cap room, no matter what Klay does or what the Warriors pay him.

We can work out sign and trade if necessary. We will go over the cap just not by this much
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#54 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 am

cpower wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
cpower wrote:again, putting KD and Klay on the same league is not fair. KD is one of the best players and Klay has very little impact on winning this year.

We can work out sign and trade if necessary. We will go over the cap just not by this much

It doesn't matter how much you're over the cap, being over the cap severely limits what you can offer to free agents. Sign and trade Klay (unlikely) or just let him walk, you're still over the cap. You can sign minimum salary players, and maybe one for about $5mm with the MLE. That's it.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#55 » by likashing » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 am

Sign and trade doesn't work anymore since 2 CBAs ago because the out-going player will not make anything extra. The team with cap trying to sign him has no incentive to give out assets. I.e. no incentive except for the incumbent team (obviously).
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#56 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 am

likashing wrote:Sign and trade doesn't work anymore since 2 CBAs ago because the out-going player will not make anything extra. The team with cap trying to sign him has no incentive to give out assets. I.e. no incentive except for the incumbent team (obviously).

Exactly, the only incentive for s&t is if a player really wants to go to a team without cap space (and both teams still have to get on board.) People throw out the term sign and trade without understanding what it means.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#57 » by likashing » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:23 pm

If KD stays, I would be surprised if he didn't require re-signing Klay as a prerequisite. In that scenario, if Klay does not accept ~$150-$160m/5, I believe Lacob would rather pay him ~$141m/4, which is as much/slightly more than any other team can pay. Steph will be a FA in 2022, that is our next milestone for this group, with or without KD.

No matter how Klay performs this season, given his pedigree, I would expect at least 1 team (Lakers/Clippers/Kings) to offer him the ~$141m/4. That is sort of the baseline we are looking at.

It has also been explained multiple times that even if you let Klay go (or KD leaves), we cannot get meaningful help because we are already over the cap with only a Big 3 instead of the Big 4.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#58 » by likashing » Thu May 23, 2019 11:56 pm

No All NBA for Klay:

1̶)̶ ̶M̶a̶x̶ ̶K̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶e̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶(̶d̶e̶a̶d̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶=̶ ̶1̶0̶/̶3̶1̶)̶ ̶=̶ ̶~̶$̶1̶0̶2̶m̶/̶4̶

2) Max another team can offer 2019 summer = ~$141m/4

3) Max we can offer 2019 summer if Klay doesn't make All-NBA/DPOY/MVP this season = ~$191m/5

4̶)̶ ̶M̶a̶x̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶r̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶9̶ ̶s̶u̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶K̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ ̶A̶l̶l̶-̶N̶B̶A̶/̶D̶P̶O̶Y̶/̶M̶V̶P̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶=̶ ̶~̶$̶2̶2̶1̶m̶/̶5̶
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,257

Post#59 » by wco81 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:59 pm

There's a video of him being told he didn't make the team.

Rolls his eyes, says there aren't 6 guards better than him.

Says it is what is is, the all-NBA designation impacting how much he can make.

Says whatever, he rather play for championships than be 3rd team all-NBA.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#60 » by likashing » Fri May 24, 2019 1:07 am

wco81 wrote:There's a video of him being told he didn't make the team.

Rolls his eyes, says there aren't 6 guards better than him.

I saw that too. Wondered if he rolled his eyes because Kemba made it ahead of him, or just because he himself didn't make it :lol:

Return to Golden State Warriors