Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Re: Time to rethink Damian Jones 

Post#21 » by SFrush » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:24 pm

cpower wrote:
SFrush wrote:
cpower wrote:Jones still does not understand defensive rotations, he is good at boxing out other players which helps the rebounding but he doesnt know how to rotate or defend PnRs...Lakers and Rockets offense will murder him.

From lack of experience but not from lack of mobility.

sure but he is in his 3rd year. Green was a defensive monster in his 3rd year

He played more than 19 games his first two seasons.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#22 » by Mylie10 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:36 pm

cpower wrote:
SFrush wrote:
cpower wrote:Jones still does not understand defensive rotations, he is good at boxing out other players which helps the rebounding but he doesnt know how to rotate or defend PnRs...Lakers and Rockets offense will murder him.

While it was Jones first start in his career, you my friend are in mid season form with your horrible posting.

You must be miserable to be around on a daily basis. So Friggin negative.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,406

Post#23 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:53 pm

likemycurryhot wrote:He really seems to be making positive strides this season. One game overreaction for sure but...he looked like he belonged out there last night. Stayed down on pump fakes, with one glaring exception, and made the right rotations. Even more impressive, he didn’t look like the ball was burning his hands on offense. He just seems more confident out there and that only bodes good things for the Dubs future.

Happy to say I’m in the optimistic about his future camp now.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

What is so fun to watch are the vets working with him...trying so hard to help out the young guy. :)

He's gotten bigger....and looked very legit next to OKC's monster.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#24 » by hamncheese » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 pm

cpower wrote:
SFrush wrote:

Rather unfair to compare him to Green who is an elite defensive player. Very few players can be defensively comparable to Green in their 3rd year.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,151

Post#25 » by cpower » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:01 am

Mylie10 wrote:
cpower wrote:
SFrush wrote:

While it was Jones first start in his career, you my friend are in mid season form with your horrible posting.

You must be miserable to be around on a daily basis. So Friggin negative.

You must be an awesome person to be around and nobody dare to express their true opinions towards you.
Nadeem
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#26 » by Nadeem » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:15 pm

I really like Jones

Was impressed with him during pre season and i think he played well last night. Still a lot of improvement which you would expect for a rookie that hasnt played much basketball in last 3 years.

His athleticism and physical strength for someone his age is very impressive. Bright future for the young man
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#27 » by Mylie10 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Teams take 15-20 games to get in sync these days with the shortened preseasons and also the newness of rosters, so to hold Jones to a standard different than the rest of the League isn't fair.

I'm not really hearing that, but thought I'd add it to the convo.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#28 » by Coxy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Jones was EXCELLENT in that 1st game when you compare it to his previous body of work. Playing next to Draymond in the starting lineup could be saving grace for him because he just looks like a guy that needs the serious basketball IQ next to him to direct him around and be hard on him when he misses things.

More of that young man, more of that.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#29 » by wco81 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:19 am

He has low rebound totals.

He doesn’t attack the ball. In one of his 4 rebounds at Utah, he was flat footed and he caught the ball at his chest level.

Barnett also noted that he doesn’t aggressively box out. Said Jones should be hunting Gobert when the shot goes up to box him out.

They need his body out there but he’s not working hard other than when he anticipates the lob.

As for moving the ball, they have him at the top of the key and he hasn’t thrown the ball away but the passes out to the wings could be more crisp. But he’s still learning and he has to improve with the screening. They don’t have him screen on the ball or run a lot of pick and roll but he’s set some good off ball screens.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,895

Post#30 » by whatisacenter » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:03 am

Jones has gone up against Steven Adams and Rudy Gobert in his first two games of the year and played pretty well if you ask me. He even does a decent job when he switches out on a smaller player. Give the man some minutes before we decide what he can be.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 763

Post#31 » by jaymo123 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:30 am

Jones was alright tonight. He got a couple of BS fouls in the first (seemed like every warrior did) and played well down the stretch with his screening. He has a lot to learn but I do like his potential. I would keep giving him the minutes, even when Cousins comes back.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#32 » by clyde21 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:55 am

Two good outings for Jones against two really good Centers so far. I'm liking what I'm seeing, especially on the little stuff. He's passing well and setting good screens.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#33 » by Mylie10 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:24 pm

My favorite part was when he beat Gobert down the floor and scored, followed by the monster dunk off a bad pass.
Khoee wrote “
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#34 » by Jester_ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:05 pm

I like his synergy with Steph. Needs to tighten up on the perimeter and I think he'll be alright.

Looney is way better though.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#35 » by GswStorm3 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:Two good outings for Jones against two really good Centers so far. I'm liking what I'm seeing, especially on the little stuff. He's passing well and setting good screens.

Yeah the screens have been great.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,406

Post#36 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:57 pm

This is fun....watching him evolve. Main things....moves the ball immediatly....so it suggests he has a quick mind. Very good hands. Starting to block shots....and very solid screens....

Maybe Cousins wil be a back up lol
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#37 » by The Maestro » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:36 am

cpower wrote:sure but he is in his 3rd year. Green was a defensive monster in his 3rd year

Including this year he’s played in like 10 games. Terrible comparison. He’s basically a rookie. Give him a chance.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#38 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:05 pm

Game 1 they were trying to force the ball to him. Game 2 they did it a little, but much better.

Jones has been looking good ... but it's what I expected of the 3 time player of the month in the g-league.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#39 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:51 pm

He’s going to have a tough challenge against Jokic.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#40 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:53 pm

It looks like the coaches have simplified the game for him. Like having him focus on position over hustle. He's still a step slow in thinking the game. Maybe a half step.

Return to Golden State Warriors