ImageImageImageImageImage

Do you think that Myers boofed the off season with the roster?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Do you think that Myers boofed the off season with the roster? 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:33 am

It's only been preseason, so it isn't telling other than that some players didn't have good games. But do you think that Myers and the Warriors FO did a piss poor job of addressing the issues with the bench or do you think they'll actually be better in the regular season.

I don't think there was much they could do really. If you look at the roster in terms of who was locked - Steph/Klay/Green/Jones/Iguodala/Livingston/Bell/Cook they didn't really have to do much. Of course KD re-signed like everyone was expecting. They drafted Evans because they thought he was going to be a wing player they needed. They wanted to actually get two players from the draft, but it didn't just work out. And they wanted to re-sign Looney and McCaw. So if you take a look at it, their roster would have been pretty close to what it is now. Of course nobody saw McCaw flaking, but it isn't that big of a deal.

After looking at what the Warriors said during the summer and how they were approaching their roster, it could have seriously been something like this:

Steph-Livingston-Cook
Klay-Draft Pick
KD-Iguodala-McCaw-Draft Pick
Green-Bell
Jones-Looney

They then would have tried to use the MLE for an impact player. But if none came their way, they would have saved the MLE for maybe the buyout market. They may have tried to get one more player on the main roster as well as get two players on the two-way contracts.

So if you take a look at it, their roster would have had some glaring issues regardless if things don't work out with the draft picks or free agency. But of course lucky for them, Boogie came a calling. But that wasn't even a Myers move. So what exactly did Myers do this off season other than sign a Kevon Looney who didn't get offers anywher else? Seemed like, even with the Boogie signing, Myers could have been more aggressive on the free agent market and gotten some players that could have helped the bench. Instead, they decided to do this youth movement that we have no idea will work.

I guess we will have to see.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Re: Do you think that Myers boofed the off season with the roster? 

Post#2 » by HiRez » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:47 am

When all you got is a dime in your pocket, you aren’t going to go nuts in the dollar store.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#3 » by killmongrel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:15 am

HiRez wrote:When all you got is a dime in your pocket, you aren’t going to go nuts in the dollar store.
Yeah, but seriously, what the hell was the deal with the Jerebko signing?
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#4 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:07 pm

No

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#5 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Kerr wanted the youth movement. They only had one draft pick and while they could have bought one it was supposedly in the 50s and the talent available there wouldn't be worth the max cost of the pick. The league has learned to not sell picks to the Warriors.

Can't blame McCaw losing his mind on Myers.

I would rather Myers have gone after Treveon Graham than Jerebko but I understand that move too and Cousins changed the direction Myers could pursue.

I really like Evans and there were several 2nd round prospects I liked, but none were likely to contribute this season.

So, Myers' off-season to do list was sign KD, Looney, and McCaw, draft a wing, sign a wing, sign a center. He got Jerebko instead of a wing and McCaw, but it's fair to say he overachieved with Cousins and Jerebko was needed because Cousins is missing time.

I like that they kept a roster spot open for buyout candidates, and McCaw can still decide to sign (but it better be soon)
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#6 » by Money_ » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Definitely going to miss West and McGee, but I think the young guys are ready for minutes,
even need minutes to see whether they will pan out.
Bench committee of Jones, Bell, Looney, Jerebko, and McKinney is not too shabby.
All of them fight for rebounds and not afraid to take a charge.
Looney is a proven entity as a solid big coming off the bench, and is only going to continue to progress. He is always in the right place, and makes the right play.
Cook is going to get his chances too. But we need a solid 2 guard to back up Klay.
Evans? Have not seen enough of him to assess.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#7 » by CS707 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:54 pm

We needed young players to eat regular season minutes.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#8 » by killmongrel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:26 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Kerr wanted the youth movement. They only had one draft pick and while they could have bought one it was supposedly in the 50s and the talent available there wouldn't be worth the max cost of the pick. The league has learned to not sell picks to the Warriors.

I would rather Myers have gone after Treveon Graham than Jerebko but I understand that move too and Cousins changed the direction Myers could pursue.

I really like Evans and there were several 2nd round prospects I liked, but none were likely to contribute this season.

So, Myers' off-season to do list was sign KD, Looney, and McCaw, draft a wing, sign a wing, sign a center. He got Jerebko instead of a wing and McCaw, but it's fair to say he overachieved with Cousins and Jerebko was needed because Cousins is missing time.

I like that they kept a roster spot open for buyout candidates, and McCaw can still decide to sign (but it better be soon)
Cousins fell into their laps though. Sure, you can attribute it to the Warriors creating a situation where a player like Boogie would choose the Warriors in such a scenario, but still, Myers taking credit for that is like taking credit for being a good chef just because Gordon Ramsay decides to buy pork from your farm.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#9 » by Mylie10 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:31 pm

I like the youth movement.

It will have the vets re-engaged by spending time teaching, coaching, and rooting for these young guys to contribute in meaningful ways.

We have a 4 headed center combo now, with each guy adding a different aspect and wrinkle.

Cook is playing with confidence now, and will be a really good add to bench scoring and protection against some dinged up vets.

Evans isn't and wasn't my choice. However, I wouldn't blame Myers to much as the pick being some sort of bust. By the way it was a consensus pick. Evans has a strong body and is fundamentally sound. Good defender. Time will tell on him, but I think you can play him a few minutes and not worry about him.

Jerebko will be better than Casspi because he won't shy away from taking shots that are available. Really good all around skill set, and won't complain if he doesn't play for 4 or 5 days in a row. He does a bit of everything, so not really a concern in the least.

If you're worried about the bench, don't....Not in the least....Kerr will have starters sprinkled in. No worries.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#10 » by HiRez » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Myers did a decent job with what he had to work with. Just as you can’t give him a ton of credit for the Cousins signing, you also can’t beat him up for the guys he didn’t sign with Cousin’s money. What idiot is going to turn down that offer? He had to say yes and was right to despite any consequences to the bench.

Championships aren’t won or lost by end of the bench guys. I believe we have enough in the middle, as well as enough All-Star starters to blend in, to perform at the highest level against any team.

No doubt this year there are serious challenges to the Warriors supremacy, but they should have enough. Steph looks like he’s in MVP mode right out of the gate, KD and Klay look sharp and ready to go, Jones looks like he can at least play, Looney and Bell and Cook are solid, Iggy and S.Dot gives us our vet presence, and DMC seems ahead of schedule on rehab. It’s all good!
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#11 » by Mylie10 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:31 pm

HiRez wrote:Myers did a decent job with what he had to work with. Just as you can’t give him a ton of credit for the Cousins signing, you also can’t beat him up for the guys he didn’t sign with Cousin’s money. What idiot is going to turn down that offer? He had to say yes and was right to despite any consequences to the bench.

Championships aren’t won or lost by end of the bench guys. I believe we have enough in the middle, as well as enough All-Star starters to blend in, to preform at the highest level against any team.

No doubt this year there are serious challenges to the Warriors supremacy, but they should have enough. Steph looks like he’s in MVP mode right out of the gate, KD and Klay look sharp and ready to go, Jones looks like he can at least play, Looney and Bell and Cook are solid, Iggy and S.Dot gives us our vet presence, and DMC seems ahead of schedule on rehab. It’s all good!

I think we're better and will be more athletic than last year.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#12 » by Coxy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:23 pm

We are very light up front, even for when Cuz comes back. We will be really leaning on Looney heavily this year and I think we need another vet big that can be trusted to do a job in limited minutes.

Other than that, all is fine.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#13 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Coxy wrote:We are very light up front, even for when Cuz comes back. We will be really leaning on Looney heavily this year and I think we need another vet big that can be trusted to do a job in limited minutes.

You don't think Kerr decisively giving Jones starter minutes until Cuz gets back will pay off and turn him into a reliable contributor, obviating the need for a vet big?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#14 » by Samurai » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:58 pm

killmongrel wrote:
HiRez wrote:When all you got is a dime in your pocket, you aren’t going to go nuts in the dollar store.

The deal with the Jerebko signing is that we didn't have a stretch 4. Same philosophy as last year when the team signed Casspi, except for whatever reason Casspi decided to not shoot 3's which is a bad idea if you were signed to be a 3-point threat. Jerebko shot 41% from deep last year, which is excellent; he is average at everything else. If he comes in and hits one or two bombs, he's done his job. And since he was willing to sign for the minimum, that makes him a decent signing. Let's see how he does once the regular season starts before we start dismissing him.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:28 am

killmongrel wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:Kerr wanted the youth movement. They only had one draft pick and while they could have bought one it was supposedly in the 50s and the talent available there wouldn't be worth the max cost of the pick. The league has learned to not sell picks to the Warriors.

Cousins fell into their laps though. Sure, you can attribute it to the Warriors creating a situation where a player like Boogie would choose the Warriors in such a scenario, but still, Myers taking credit for that is like taking credit for being a good chef just because Gordon Ramsay decides to buy pork from your farm.

I didn't mean to imply that Myers did something special to get Cousins. Myers needed to find a vet center, and ended up with Cousins. And most seem to agree that when you are looking for a vet min center ending up with Cousins on a tax MLE is a good outcome.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:33 am

Coxy wrote:We are very light up front, even for when Cuz comes back. We will be really leaning on Looney heavily this year and I think we need another vet big that can be trusted to do a job in limited minutes.

Cousins, Green, KD, Jones, Bell, Looney, Jerebko ... that's 7 players (3 all pro) who can play quality NBA minutes up front ... what does it take to be "enough"? Which team is better?

If you meant "light" to mean weight, which team is heavier?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:45 am

Samurai wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

The deal with the Jerebko signing is that we didn't have a stretch 4. Same philosophy as last year when the team signed Casspi, except for whatever reason Casspi decided to not shoot 3's which is a bad idea if you were signed to be a 3-point threat. Jerebko shot 41% from deep last year, which is excellent; he is average at everything else. If he comes in and hits one or two bombs, he's done his job. And since he was willing to sign for the minimum, that makes him a decent signing. Let's see how he does once the regular season starts before we start dismissing him.

I agree. It would be great to get an athletic 6'7" 225lb wing with 7'3" wingspan who hits 44% on 3s and defends like a demon. Unfortunately that player is insane and forced a trade to the Raptors, and there aren't any others.

I would have like to get Treveon Graham instead of Jerebko, but with Cousins signing I can see the desire to have at least one vet big on the bench.

Who would you draft instead of Evans? There were several guys I liked at the time for the Warriors, Evans being one of them, but none of them were the team defender Evans is so I understand that decision. And teams being unwilling to sell an early 2nd round pick to the Warriors can't really be blamed on Myers. Ideally he could find a way to trade the young guys who are not going to work out for 2nd round picks at some point in the future, but honestly nobody is going to want to deal with Myers and 2nd round picks have finally become valued around the NBA like they should have been.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#18 » by Coxy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:33 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:

You don't think Kerr decisively giving Jones starter minutes until Cuz gets back will pay off and turn him into a reliable contributor, obviating the need for a vet big?

Jones sucks.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#19 » by Coxy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:41 am

Scoots1994 wrote:

Cousins, Green, KD, Jones, Bell, Looney, Jerebko ... that's 7 players (3 all pro) who can play quality NBA minutes up front ... what does it take to be "enough"? Which team is better?

PF - Green / Looney
C - Bell

That's our "Bigs" currently. When Cuz returns, Bell backs him up. Jones is not NBA calibre, Jerebko is a stretch 3/4, not a big man, and KD CAN play some 4, but it's not ideal to have him there at all.

When I say "Bigs", I mean, big men. Big rebounders, bruisers and rim protectors, like Zaza and McGee. Losing McGee hurts the most actually, as he gave this team a really different look up front and protected the rim, we didn't fill that hole for a backup. If Cousins doesn't return to at least 75% of what he was then we will be in trouble up front.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#20 » by xdrta+ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:48 am

Coxy wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

PF - Green / Looney
C - Bell

That's our "Bigs" currently. When Cuz returns, Bell backs him up. Jones is not NBA calibre, Jerebko is a stretch 3/4, not a big man, and KD CAN play some 4, but it's not ideal to have him there at all.

When I say "Bigs", I mean, big men. Big rebounders, bruisers and rim protectors, like Zaza and McGee. Losing McGee hurts the most actually, as he gave this team a really different look up front and protected the rim, we didn't fill that hole for a backup. If Cousins doesn't return to at least 75% of what he was then we will be in trouble up front.

You really think the Warriors will miss McGee's 9 minutes a game that much? As for Jones, he's the center now and he's the center of the future.

Return to Golden State Warriors