ImageImageImageImageImage

Do you think that Myers boofed the off season with the roster?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Re: Do you think that Myers boofed the off season with the roster? 

Post#21 » by Coxy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:57 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Cousins, Green, KD, Jones, Bell, Looney, Jerebko ... that's 7 players (3 all pro) who can play quality NBA minutes up front ... what does it take to be "enough"? Which team is better?

If you meant "light" to mean weight, which team is heavier?

PF - Green / Looney
C - Bell

That's our "Bigs" currently. When Cuz returns, Bell backs him up. Jones is not NBA calibre, Jerebko is a stretch 3/4, not a big man, and KD CAN play some 4, but it's not ideal to have him there at all.

When I say "Bigs", I mean, big men. Big rebounders, bruisers and rim protectors, like Zaza and McGee. Losing McGee hurts the most actually, as he gave this team a really different look up front and protected the rim, we didn't fill that hole for a backup. If Cousins doesn't return to at least 75% of what he was then we will be in trouble up front.

You really think the Warriors will miss McGee's 9 minutes a game that much? As for Jones, he's the center now and he's the center of the future.

Yes, we will miss McGee massively.

Jones sucks.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 454

Post#22 » by Swift21 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:34 am

Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Coxy wrote:
PF - Green / Looney
C - Bell

That's our "Bigs" currently. When Cuz returns, Bell backs him up. Jones is not NBA calibre, Jerebko is a stretch 3/4, not a big man, and KD CAN play some 4, but it's not ideal to have him there at all.

When I say "Bigs", I mean, big men. Big rebounders, bruisers and rim protectors, like Zaza and McGee. Losing McGee hurts the most actually, as he gave this team a really different look up front and protected the rim, we didn't fill that hole for a backup. If Cousins doesn't return to at least 75% of what he was then we will be in trouble up front.

You really think the Warriors will miss McGee's 9 minutes a game that much? As for Jones, he's the center now and he's the center of the future.

Jones sucks.

Massively? lol come on man. It's easy to forget Myers was once discussing a trade with Milwaukee for Javale last season. Let's not pretend everything was smooth sailing.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#23 » by xdrta+ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:41 am

Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Coxy wrote:
PF - Green / Looney
C - Bell

Jones sucks.

They might miss Pachulia, but they won't miss McGee.
Swift21
General Manager

Post#24 » by Swift21 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:54 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Jones sucks.

They might miss Pachulia, but they won't miss McGee.

There not going to miss either.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#25 » by Coxy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:00 am

Swift21 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Jones sucks.

Massively? lol come on man. It's easy to forget Myers was once discussing a trade with Milwaukee for Javale last season. Let's not pretend everything was smooth sailing.

Javale's impact for us looks to be underrated big time. His lob threat on offence, and his ability to alter shots around the rim with that length helped us at times to get going and out of funks. It was invaluable, and it will be missed.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#26 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:05 am

Coxy wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
Coxy wrote:We are very light up front, even for when Cuz comes back. We will be really leaning on Looney heavily this year and I think we need another vet big that can be trusted to do a job in limited minutes.

Other than that, all is fine.

You don't think Kerr decisively giving Jones starter minutes until Cuz gets back will pay off and turn him into a reliable contributor, obviating the need for a vet big?

Jones sucks.

Get a TV this season so your takes will improve.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Swift21
General Manager

Post#27 » by Swift21 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:07 am

Coxy wrote:
Swift21 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Jones sucks.

Javale's impact for us looks to be underrated big time. His lob threat on offence, and his ability to alter shots around the rim with that length helped us at times to get going and out of funks. It was invaluable, and it will be missed.

Yet Kerr only trusts him against certain matchups and in the matchups he does trust him he's only playing 10-12 minutes. That's not going to be a massive loss.

BTW I understand you don't like Jones. But anyone with two eyes can see he'll be just fine as the new lob threat.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#28 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:07 am

Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Coxy wrote:
PF - Green / Looney
C - Bell

Jones sucks.

I got to hand it to you Coxy, you're decisive. No equivocating from you. You're either going to be right or you're going to be shown to be a total fraud as a judge of basketball talent and potential.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#29 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:08 am

Mylie10 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
You don't think Kerr decisively giving Jones starter minutes until Cuz gets back will pay off and turn him into a reliable contributor, obviating the need for a vet big?

Jones sucks.

We should take up a collection.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#30 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:08 am

Coxy wrote:
Swift21 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Jones sucks.

You haven't noticed Jones catching lobs all over the place? He's also a really good shot blocker.

I hope you don't keep up this noob posting all year.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#31 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:09 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Jones sucks.

We should take up a collection.

Lol
Khoee wrote “
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#32 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:23 am

Replace McGees lobs? Hmm...not sure we have a big that can do that, hmmm...

Khoee wrote “
Coxy
RealGM

Post#33 » by Coxy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:22 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Jones sucks.

I got to hand it to you Coxy, you're decisive. No equivocating from you. You're either going to be right or you're going to be shown to be a total fraud as a judge of basketball talent and potential.

I don't really think anything I've made a take in this thread that is shocking at all actually. I've been watching the NBA and the Warriors for a very long time, so I'm pretty comfortable in my eval of players. I hope Jones proves me wrong, I really do, but I don't think he has the basketball IQ and tenacity to make it in the league, and no highlights that you show me can change that. I was also big on Javale in limited action, which he plays because of his asthma and stamina issues that he has.

Total fraud as a judge of basketball talent and potential? Eh, whatever, I don't think I'm the one making outrageous claims here.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#34 » by laika » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:16 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Jones sucks.

I'm not willing to declare Jones a bust quite yet but I am also pretty skeptical. If Jones becomes a quality player he will definitely be beating the odds. Players as lousy as Jones in their first two years virtually never become good players. Jermaine O'Neal is given as an example of a late bloomer, but Jermaine was way better than Jones has been.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#35 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Coxy wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Coxy wrote:We are very light up front, even for when Cuz comes back. We will be really leaning on Looney heavily this year and I think we need another vet big that can be trusted to do a job in limited minutes.

Other than that, all is fine.

Cousins, Green, KD, Jones, Bell, Looney, Jerebko ... that's 7 players (3 all pro) who can play quality NBA minutes up front ... what does it take to be "enough"? Which team is better?

If you meant "light" to mean weight, which team is heavier?

PF - Green / Looney
C - Bell

KD played more 4 than 3 the last two years. Jerebko never plays 3, he's not fast enough. Jones is better than McGee. Basically your whole take seems to be that you don't like Jones.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Swift21 wrote:Massively? lol come on man. It's easy to forget Myers was once discussing a trade with Milwaukee for Javale last season. Let's not pretend everything was smooth sailing.

For some reason some people think McGee was great and the only thing holding him back was Kerr.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:13 pm

laika wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Jones sucks.

I'm not willing to declare Jones a bust quite yet but I am also pretty skeptical. If Jones becomes a quality player he will definitely be beating the odds. Players as lousy as Jones in their first two years virtually never become good players. Jermaine O'Neal is given as an example of a late bloomer, but Jermaine was way better than Jones has been.

Did you watch Jones his first two years? And I don't mean just the NBA but the G-league too? The Warriors had a lot of vet centers so they just didn't have room for him. He could have been learning in the NBA but instead they had him developing in the G-league.

Also, we need to keep in mind that Looney did nothing for 2 years then last year he became a critical player, and was a major factor in beating the Rockets. It's not like there isn't a history with these Warriors having a player be invisible for 2 years then show to be a quality players.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#38 » by laika » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
laika wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:

Did you watch Jones his first two years? And I don't mean just the NBA but the G-league too? The Warriors had a lot of vet centers so they just didn't have room for him. He could have been learning in the NBA but instead they had him developing in the G-league.

Also, we need to keep in mind that Looney did nothing for 2 years then last year he became a critical player, and was a major factor in beating the Rockets. It's not like there isn't a history with these Warriors having a player be invisible for 2 years then show to be a quality players.

It's not the lack of playing time, but the absolute lack of production. On a per minute basis Looney was an MVP compared to Jones.

PER first two years-
Looney- 18.6, 13.6
Jones- 5.3, 6.8

You can run a screen at basketball reference. For 2nd year players with a PER below 10 the majority are busts. Only a tiny handful became above average players. Restrict it to PER below 8 and there are zero good players on the list, with the vast majority being busts.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:09 pm

laika wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
laika wrote:

It's not the lack of playing time, but the absolute lack of production. On a per minute basis Looney was an MVP compared to Jones.

PER first two years-
Looney- 18.6, 13.6
Jones- 5.3, 6.8

You can run a screen at basketball reference. For 2nd year players with a PER below 10 the majority are busts. Only a tiny handful became above average players. Restrict it to PER below 8 and there are zero good players on the list, with the vast majority being busts.

Did you watch G-League?
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#40 » by SFrush » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:28 pm

laika wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
laika wrote:

PER first two years-
Looney- 18.6, 13.6
Jones- 5.3, 6.8

He rarely played :crazy: You're basically looking at his PER over a whopping 19 game sample size and that's not how it should be used.

Return to Golden State Warriors