ImageImageImageImageImage

Do you think that Myers boofed the off season with the roster?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Re: Do you think that Myers boofed the off season with the roster? 

Post#41 » by CS707 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:03 pm

laika wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Yes, we will miss McGee massively.

Jones sucks.

I got to hand it to you Coxy, you're decisive. No equivocating from you. You're either going to be right or you're going to be shown to be a total fraud as a judge of basketball talent and potential.

I'm not willing to declare Jones a bust quite yet but I am also pretty skeptical. If Jones becomes a quality player he will definitely be beating the odds. Players as lousy as Jones in their first two years virtually never become good players. Jermaine O'Neal is given as an example of a late bloomer, but Jermaine was way better than Jones has been.

It depends on your expectations. If you’re thinking he’s going to be a Jermaine O’Neil level player then yeah, there’s a good chance of disappointment. We need him to be a McGee replacement. It’s not like Javale was the brightest bulb himself.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#42 » by xdrta+ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:13 pm

Coxy wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Yes, we will miss McGee massively.

Jones sucks.

I got to hand it to you Coxy, you're decisive. No equivocating from you. You're either going to be right or you're going to be shown to be a total fraud as a judge of basketball talent and potential.

I don't really think anything I've made a take in this thread that is shocking at all actually. I've been watching the NBA and the Warriors for a very long time, so I'm pretty comfortable in my eval of players. I hope Jones proves me wrong, I really do, but I don't think he has the basketball IQ and tenacity to make it in the league, and no highlights that you show me can change that. I was also big on Javale in limited action, which he plays because of his asthma and stamina issues that he has.

Total fraud as a judge of basketball talent and potential? Eh, whatever, I don't think I'm the one making outrageous claims here.

The kid is 23 yrs old. His ceiling is far higher than McGee's ever was.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#43 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Coxy wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Coxy wrote:We are very light up front, even for when Cuz comes back. We will be really leaning on Looney heavily this year and I think we need another vet big that can be trusted to do a job in limited minutes.

Other than that, all is fine.

Cousins, Green, KD, Jones, Bell, Looney, Jerebko ... that's 7 players (3 all pro) who can play quality NBA minutes up front ... what does it take to be "enough"? Which team is better?

If you meant "light" to mean weight, which team is heavier?

PF - Green / Looney
C - Bell

That's our "Bigs" currently. When Cuz returns, Bell backs him up. Jones is not NBA calibre, Jerebko is a stretch 3/4, not a big man, and KD CAN play some 4, but it's not ideal to have him there at all.

When I say "Bigs", I mean, big men. Big rebounders, bruisers and rim protectors, like Zaza and McGee. Losing McGee hurts the most actually, as he gave this team a really different look up front and protected the rim, we didn't fill that hole for a backup. If Cousins doesn't return to at least 75% of what he was then we will be in trouble up front.

Let's clarify a few things.

Looney is more of a center and he only plays of when he's on the floor with Jones and if he were to play with Cuz.

Bell plays center in small ball lineups or when he plays with KD and Draymond. He's to small to guard big centers. But what I love about Bell is that he can guard wings and smaller front court players. Therefore I want him to play more 3 and less 5. But he's primarily Draymonds back up right now.

Jerebko plays 4 and 5. He's 6'10".....he won't play much though, because we don't need him.

Until Cuz gets here we have 5 guys who can play center. However Kerr has stated that based on who we are playing, either Jones, Looney, or Bell may start.

We have plenty of big men and each provides a different aspect.

Not sure what anyone criticizing Jones wants him to be? Personally I'm expecting a complimentary player. A big who can compliment our core four. He will do that....if people want All Star numbers, then they are the ones who are misguided.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#44 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:08 pm

laika wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
laika wrote:
I'm not willing to declare Jones a bust quite yet but I am also pretty skeptical. If Jones becomes a quality player he will definitely be beating the odds. Players as lousy as Jones in their first two years virtually never become good players. Jermaine O'Neal is given as an example of a late bloomer, but Jermaine was way better than Jones has been.

Did you watch Jones his first two years? And I don't mean just the NBA but the G-league too? The Warriors had a lot of vet centers so they just didn't have room for him. He could have been learning in the NBA but instead they had him developing in the G-league.

Also, we need to keep in mind that Looney did nothing for 2 years then last year he became a critical player, and was a major factor in beating the Rockets. It's not like there isn't a history with these Warriors having a player be invisible for 2 years then show to be a quality players.

It's not the lack of playing time, but the absolute lack of production. On a per minute basis Looney was an MVP compared to Jones.

PER first two years-
Looney- 18.6, 13.6
Jones- 5.3, 6.8

You can run a screen at basketball reference. For 2nd year players with a PER below 10 the majority are busts. Only a tiny handful became above average players. Restrict it to PER below 8 and there are zero good players on the list, with the vast majority being busts.

Now run that same screen for Jones in the G League.

You used Jermaine O Neal as a bad example, well yeah Jermaine was a lottery pick. I've added you to the list of ding bats I'm going to remind how wrong you were.

Having said that, I'm going to remind you and everyone that no player is perfect and no one should use perfection as the guide line.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#45 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Jones per at Santa Cruz.....and I hate Per as a stat was 20.9

G League All Star...15 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks in 30 minutes. Hardly bust material. Win share @ 5.2 if you care.

70% free throws
Khoee wrote “
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#46 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Cousins called the Warriors on July 2nd; it was a no-brainer to sign him, which left the Warriors with nothing but minimum salary slots. I haven't seen anybody of note, who would make a difference, who has signed for a minimum salary around the league. (Obviously there might be some surprises among rookie free agents, etc......)

The assumption was always that McCaw would be back, and I can't blame Myers for what McCaw has done in holding out.

I think that Keita Bates-Diop was probably a better prospect and fit for the Warriors than Evans, and thought they should have drafted him (I hadn't expected him to be available). That might be the one thing that I think Myers can be criticized on at this point, but time will tell if Evans develops, though right now the signs aren't real good.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#47 » by HiRez » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:17 pm

I don’t know what the point of all the arguing over old numbers is, he’s here and he’s playing and we’re about to find out just how good (or not so good) Jones is, starting in 2 days. Even if you think Jones sucks, you should be rooting for him to do well, why wouldn’t anyone want that?
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#48 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Just to be clear...... when we say "booted", do we mean "farted"?
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#49 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:Just to be clear...... when we say "booted", do we mean "farted"?

To me that just means screwed up, like booting the game.

Also, to me "boofed" as slang was to hide something in your prison pocket.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#50 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:Just to be clear...... when we say "booted", do we mean "farted"?

Pretty sure boofing means cramming something up the buttie, your or another's. I think we've been commenting on this thread all wrong.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Pretty sure boofing means cramming something up the buttie, your or another's. I think we've been commenting on this thread all wrong.

Yeah, that's what I said ... prison pocket.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#52 » by likashing » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:23 am

So Jones has replaced Zaza as the whipping boy for McGee fans?
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#53 » by killmongrel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:28 am

So to those who thought it was a mistake to rely on Damian Jones, you have to look at it this way as well. The Warriors were probably more than willing to bring back Javale to the team. But I think that since they had the bird rights to him, Javale wanted a 20% raise and probably wanted two years. Warriors were like hell naw and let him go. That's why he went and signed for a deal with the Lakers that the Warriors could have easily matched. There is no bad blood between Javale and the team or coaches. But I do think he's not a big fan of the front office.

The Warriors were more than ready to bank on Damian Jones because they knew that letting Javale go was not a difference maker for them. It just isn't.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#54 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:27 am

I mean Jones sucks and all but it doesn't even matter...we got DeMarcus Freakin Cousins

Shaun, Dre, Bell and Looney is all we need off the bench in the playoffs and the regular season doesn't matter. While I watch regular season games I'm going to fall asleep on my couch bored outta my mind with potato chip crumbs all over my shirt.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#55 » by Quazza » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:43 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Means something slightly different here in Australia but does still describe an insertion of sorts
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 am

killmongrel wrote:So to those who thought it was a mistake to rely on Damian Jones, you have to look at it this way as well. The Warriors were probably more than willing to bring back Javale to the team. But I think that since they had the bird rights to him, Javale wanted a 20% raise and probably wanted two years. Warriors were like hell naw and let him go. That's why he went and signed for a deal with the Lakers that the Warriors could have easily matched. There is no bad blood between Javale and the team or coaches. But I do think he's not a big fan of the front office.

The Warriors were more than ready to bank on Damian Jones because they knew that letting Javale go was not a difference maker for them. It just isn't.

I don't think the Warriors made an offer to JaVale.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#57 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:09 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote: the regular season doesn't matter.

I wouldn't say that.

I'd rather the Warriors minimize the number of top WC seeds they face, so you don't want them to be #8.

Curry and KD are chasing some all-time stats records and the Warriors could be going for the best 5-year stretch.

I think they have the best 3-year stretch but not sure about 4-year, since they dropped to 58 wins last year.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#58 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:So to those who thought it was a mistake to rely on Damian Jones, you have to look at it this way as well. The Warriors were probably more than willing to bring back Javale to the team. But I think that since they had the bird rights to him, Javale wanted a 20% raise and probably wanted two years. Warriors were like hell naw and let him go. That's why he went and signed for a deal with the Lakers that the Warriors could have easily matched. There is no bad blood between Javale and the team or coaches. But I do think he's not a big fan of the front office.

I don't think the Warriors made an offer to JaVale.

Considering Javale signed with the Lakers on the first day of FA and considering that last year Javale was one of the last players Myers signed, I doubt he even spoke with Myers this time around.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Go for 41-0 at home, the road will take care of itself.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#60 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 pm

wco81 wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote: the regular season doesn't matter.

I wouldn't say that.

I'd rather the Warriors minimize the number of top WC seeds they face, so you don't want them to be #8.

Curry and KD are chasing some all-time stats records and the Warriors could be going for the best 5-year stretch.

I think they have the best 3-year stretch but not sure about 4-year, since they dropped to 58 wins last year.

we looked like **** in about 80 of our 82 games last year and we won the title
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett

Return to Golden State Warriors