ImageImageImageImageImage

Do you think that Myers boofed the off season with the roster?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Do you think that Myers boofed the off season with the roster? 

Post#81 » by Mylie10 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:19 pm

Does anybody envision a potential Bell and maybe Livingston trade down the road for a scoring wing?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#82 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Bell and Livingston for the Big Ragu. Solid gold.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#83 » by shazam_guy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Jones already looks to be contributing at least as much as Javale did last season. Early days, but come on -- are we looking that hard for things to complain about? Complaining isn't mandatory, you know. Honest, it isn't.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#84 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Going forward, I think they want to give the big 4 guys more rest. Or they're going to be extra cautious like with Curry tonight and probably the Hawks game on Wednesday. Curry supposedly told Kerr he's better but not worth risk of making the groin strain worse.

But Kerr hasn't been able to rest these guys because, Andre and Shaun, two key reserves are going to get a lot of rest. But it's no surprise that the number of games played and the minutes played for both have been trending down the last couple of years, probably by design to limit their games and minutes.

They both outperform their career averages in terms of shooting. Iggy in particular shot 49/38/71 in last year's playoffs where he started 12 of 15 games played.

Still, they have relatively high salaries just to carry them the whole season for the playoffs. As the 4 stars age, they need more time off so the team needs productive players in the regular season.

2019-20 would be the last season for both at those salaries. If they're to stay after that, team's probably going to look for them to take lower salaries or not try to keep them. In fact, with expiring deals, they could be trade assets if some big opportunity came up.

Then again, if they're defending 3 straight titles in 2019-20, the team may not take risks, assuming neither declines too much the rest of this season and the playoffs in the spring.

But it sure would add a lot more roster flexibility without those contracts. In 2020-21, Curry and KD (if he stayed here) would be 32-33 years old. Klay and Draymond would be 31-32.

Team would want to look to reduce their minutes, assuming the team is still one of the top contenders. Even if they are free of the $25 million in salary that Iggy and Livingston will earn in 2019-20, they may need to pay for some rotational players who will command higher salaries.

I don't think depending on the big 4 and 10 minimum salary players will fly, 2 seasons from now.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#85 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 pm

wco81 wrote:Going forward, I think they want to give the big 4 guys more rest. Or they're going to be extra cautious like with Curry tonight and probably the Hawks game on Wednesday. Curry supposedly told Kerr he's better but not worth risk of making the groin strain worse.

But Kerr hasn't been able to rest these guys because, Andre and Shaun, two key reserves are going to get a lot of rest. But it's no surprise that the number of games played and the minutes played for both have been trending down the last couple of years, probably by design to limit their games and minutes.

They both outperform their career averages in terms of shooting. Iggy in particular shot 49/38/71 in last year's playoffs where he started 12 of 15 games played.

Still, they have relatively high salaries just to carry them the whole season for the playoffs. As the 4 stars age, they need more time off so the team needs productive players in the regular season.

2019-20 would be the last season for both at those salaries. If they're to stay after that, team's probably going to look for them to take lower salaries or not try to keep them. In fact, with expiring deals, they could be trade assets if some big opportunity came up.

Then again, if they're defending 3 straight titles in 2019-20, the team may not take risks, assuming neither declines too much the rest of this season and the playoffs in the spring.

But it sure would add a lot more roster flexibility without those contracts. In 2020-21, Curry and KD (if he stayed here) would be 32-33 years old. Klay and Draymond would be 31-32.

Team would want to look to reduce their minutes, assuming the team is still one of the top contenders. Even if they are free of the $25 million in salary that Iggy and Livingston will earn in 2019-20, they may need to pay for some rotational players who will command higher salaries.

I don't think depending on the big 4 and 10 minimum salary players will fly, 2 seasons from now.

It's hardly going out on a limb to say they would need smaller salaries beyond their current contracts. I think there is a reasonable chance one or both are not back next year. I'd like them to stick around as coaches regardless of when they stop playing.

And yes, the Warriors said all off-season that they wanted to get younger and get experienced depth on the team to support the stars.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,245

Post#86 » by xdrta+ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:It's hardly going out on a limb to say they would need smaller salaries beyond their current contracts. I think there is a reasonable chance one or both are not back next year. I'd like them to stick around as coaches regardless of when they stop playing.

And yes, the Warriors said all off-season that they wanted to get younger and get experienced depth on the team to support the stars.

I think it's a given that Livingston won't be back in '19-20. Only $2M of his $7.6M is guaranteed, and if he's waived that $2M could be stretched over 3 years for cap purposes. Iguodala's guaranteed $17M is a problem though, cap-wise.
wco81
RealGM

Post#87 » by wco81 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Lack of depth is showing now.

A couple of years ago, Brandon Rush had to start a lot of games and he increased his scoring for about 5-10 games IIRC.

These minimum players can't consistently put up numbers and when Klay is **** the bed this season, the top-heavy roster is showing its flaws.

Even when they were winning, it was Curry's hot streak at the start of the season, outshooting his career averages, which covered over the problems, particularly Klay's poor shooting.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#88 » by Phase 3 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Need more shooting off the bench and a real backup point guard that can create some rhythm for the offense when Steph sits.
wco81
RealGM

Post#89 » by wco81 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Whom might they have signed for the mLE if Boogie hadn’t called?

Or would they have gotten another minimum player to save on luxury taxes?

That would say a lot about how much owners were going to rely on the 4 stars.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#90 » by Little Digger » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:21 am

Lacob/Myers doing their best to **** things up..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#91 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Eh...it's a mess now....but with Green and Curry out....and Kerr committing to the younger big boys....sort of expected? I think the Warriors win the last 2 or three with JUST having a David West in the middle to settle things down.

Essentially the Warriors are playing with 4 scoring options ...Klay (who has been bad), Durant, and a combination of Cook, Iggyy, Jacob and Looney. That's about it....

The young guards just look like they are spot up shooters at this point.....
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#92 » by shazam_guy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:00 pm

I say let's panic. Lacob and Myers are clearly incompetent. Let's put the fans in charge.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#93 » by HiRez » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 pm

3rd option bench players aren't that good, that's why they are 3rd option bench players.

Can't judge this team without Steph & Draymond because that's who this team is. We aren't winning a championship with them in street clothes no matter who else we have, so to me there's not much point dissecting what the team looks like without them.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#94 » by Mylie10 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:25 pm

HiRez wrote:3rd option bench players aren't that good, that's why they are 3rd option bench players.

Can't judge this team without Steph & Draymond because that's who this team is. We aren't winning a championship with them in street clothes no matter who else we have, so to me there's not much point dissecting what the team looks like without them.

Way to much logic....get outta here!
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#95 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:16 pm

The panic in here is just silly. Criticizing our management team that has built the best team of all time because that team isn't resilient to having 3 of its best 5 all star players injured while a 4th is in a horrific slump? You aren't supposed to build a team to optimize for that case. The way you do that is to not have 5 all stars in the first place; to replace them with a bunch of role players. Would that be better? I guess some people are claiming we should have gotten a healthy role player instead of an injured Cousins. That is at least a sane position, but one I strongly disagree with.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#96 » by Little Digger » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:26 am

Jerry West had more to do with building this team than everybody else combined..He was kicked to the curb so of course I’m going to bash Lacob..Bob Myers is a very likable guy, but he’s been awful when left on his own..He’ll he was awful when Jerry was still here..He was all for the Thompson-Love swap that would have been an epic mistake..He also said during that first championship run that he didn’t think the roster could compete at the highest level..Now his big moves without JW are Nick Young and the rental Gimp
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#97 » by Mylie10 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:31 am

West chose to go back home to LA. He wasn't kicked anywhere. The guys about 120 years old, so staying in LA for that insane money made more sense.
Khoee wrote “
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#98 » by northoakland510 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:33 am

They blew it with Mcgee the dude is only making a few million In LA.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,245

Post#99 » by xdrta+ » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:34 am

Little Digger wrote:Jerry West had more to do with building this team than everybody else combined.

How do you know this? I know he gets credit for hanging onto Klay, though Kerr pitched the same thing, but I never see anybody talk about anything else he did. Just that it's all West.
wco81
RealGM

Post#100 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:35 am

No I think Clippers were willing to offer him millions and Lacob probably didn't think he was worth the couple of million he paid him.

Since they were on the verge of winning their second title, Lacob didn't want to pay him.

Return to Golden State Warriors