Boogie is coming!!!

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Re: Boogie is coming!!! 

Post#81 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
wco81 wrote:He’s unlikely to get more minutes in the playoffs than McGee or bogus was.

Maybe even less since he can’t rim run.

You're loco en la cabesa buddy.

He will easily play more than both based on the fact that he really spaces the floor with his shooting range. Great passer, great post player, and good shooter from range. Neither Bogut or Javale were guys you wanted shooting the ball from range.

They limited McGee and Bogut minutes because they are vulnerable in pick and roll defense. Cousins will be at least as vulnerable.
wco81
RealGM

Post#82 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 pm

Samurai wrote:Really pleased with how Boogie played tonight. He showed flashes of his all-around game: hit 3-4 from beyond the arc, gave us the size to be a force on the glass, and was a willing passer and screen-setter. But most of all, dude is BIG! Was great to see us having someone with that type of size and presence in the paint after watching teams just overpower Looney and Bell because they don't have enough bulk. He got hit with a rash of ticky-tack fouls, which is not surprising since he tended to reach a lot; I suspect that will get better as his timing and conditioning improve.

But if he continues to improve both his conditioning and timing, this team will be a real force to contend with in the playoffs. Can't wait!!

Didn’t show much lift other than the dunk or the one offensive rebound he got whistled for.

Yeah if he’s hitting 3s he’s great to have out there but if teams close out, he doesn’t look like he can attack close outs yet.

Seems wary of really pushing off that foot. On the sidelines he had it wrapped in ice and he was stretching the Achilles with a band so maybe he was feeling some discomfort.

A lot of times he wasn’t jumping so either he’s being ginger with it or doesn’t have t fitness to sustain energy.

Good to have the option of playing him but notice JJ didn’t play much? Is Cousins going to outshoot JJ from 3? He might if centers won’t go out there.

Is he going to outrebound JJ? Maybe with his size but if he’s not jumping, then maybe not.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#83 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:46 pm

wco81 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
wco81 wrote:He’s unlikely to get more minutes in the playoffs than McGee or bogus was.

Maybe even less since he can’t rim run.

He will easily play more than both based on the fact that he really spaces the floor with his shooting range. Great passer, great post player, and good shooter from range. Neither Bogut or Javale were guys you wanted shooting the ball from range.

They limited McGee and Bogut minutes because they are vulnerable in pick and roll defense. Cousins will be at least as vulnerable.

Do you remember how little Javale and Bogut played in their most recent Playoffs?

Would you like to bet me on it? Because I'm confident Cousins will play a ton more than those guys did in the playoffs. Cousins on offense is perfect for a slow it down half court style of play that we see in the playoffs. Games slow down, it's a grind, and having Cousins setting screens, posting up, passing, and spreading the floor is huge.

While he might struggle in certain matchups, at certain times defensively, he will be huge rebounding and willing to use his body and length to in the least make guys earn it inside.

Let's bet
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#84 » by SFrush » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:21 pm

Those screens :love: Fills that void we haven't had since Bogut.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,794

Post#85 » by michaelm » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:21 am

Mylie10 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Do you remember how little Javale and Bogut played in their most recent Playoffs?

Would you like to bet me on it? Because I'm confident Cousins will play a ton more than those guys did in the playoffs. Cousins on offense is perfect for a slow it down half court style of play that we see in the playoffs. Games slow down, it's a grind, and having Cousins setting screens, posting up, passing, and spreading the floor is huge.

While he might struggle in certain matchups, at certain times defensively, he will be huge rebounding and willing to use his body and length to in the least make guys earn it inside.

Let's bet

There are tactics which will beat a team with Bogut at center, but getting to the rim uncontested as Lebron and Kyrie did in the deciding games of the 2016 finals aren't among them. GSW already have the players for perimeter defense when Iguodala and KD are in play-off mode, and Dray is more likely to get to the play-offs in good shape if he he doesn't have to bang against Adams, Valanclunas and the other monster centers in the NBA, on the teams which mainly give GSW problems.

You are saying pretty much what Chauncy Billups said during the coverage of the game, he is a run stopper, you can give it to him if the other team is on a roll and he can pound it inside, get fouled or get a bucket, interrupting their run. He also has many more strings to his bow as an offensive player than Bogut or McGee. As someone who got on the GSW bandwagon with Bogut, I would say he might have been much more than he ended up being, he was rounding into a decent 2 -way player until that horrendous fall turned the elbow of his shooting arm into a packet of potato crisps.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#86 » by Swift21 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:09 am

SFrush wrote:Those screens :love: Fills that void we haven't had since Bogut.

Fills way more voids than one. Kerr should feel like a kid in a candy store with all the different actions he can use Boogie with Steph, Klay and KD.
wco81
RealGM

Post#87 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:29 am

David Griffin made a good point.

Before the injury, DC was a one foot jumper, mostly jumping off the left foot that he injured.

So look for how much he jumps off the left foot as opposed to his right or jumps off both feet to see how he’s progressing.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#88 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:04 pm

love this guy

floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#89 » by Coxy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:19 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:love this guy

Lol, so immature, petty and competitive. He and Draymond are gonna be like peas and carrots.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#90 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:51 pm

I think that's what players should be doing (especially to a douche like CP3). Opponents shouldn't be bffs. Love the old stories of Pat Riley, Chuck Daly, and KC Jones telling players "dont ever **** talk to those guys again or I'll fine you" :lol:

I don't think KD ever daps someone up after the game
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#91 » by Phase 3 » Fri Feb 1, 2019 6:17 am

Let’s say Deandre Jordan gets bought out. Would you offer him the starting center spot? He’s best friends with Durant and would be a perfect fit on this team imo. I like Boogie but man, that would be pretty enticing.
wco81
RealGM

Post#92 » by wco81 » Sun Feb 3, 2019 4:14 am

So after about 6 games, we are getting a better idea of what Boogie can bring this year.

His mobility is still limited and teams will hunt for him on pick and roll switches.

But his sheer size, if he can keep his body in front of players, provides presence in the paint the Warriors don't have -- clogging the paint as they say. He clearly was more of an obstacle to Embid than Looney was, though I think Embid let him off the hook several times settling for jumpers than trying to go at him.

If he has a chance to gather, he can explode, as in the dunk on Kuzma in the second half. They have to get the ball to him so he can generate some momentum towards the hook and get up.

But if he tries to dribble and go to the basket or from a standing start, he can't get enough rise to be a threat. Lakers center had no problems blocking or getting in front of Boogie when he tried to dribble drive. Again it may be a question of which feet he plants and jumps off of. If he's dribbling with the right hand and is trying to jump off the left foot, he just may not be able to push off of it consistently.

Then he caught one pass in the paint and Hart was on him but he couldn't get it up above Hart, who's 6-5, though Hart probably fouled him.

I don't know if we can assume that he'll have more lift in a couple of months or really have confidence and comfort to jump hard off that left foot.

Obviously with his skills, his outside shooting and passing, he'll have some real good offensive games. Warriors may try some pick and pop chances for him, as well as him screening more for shooters

I think in games which really matter, Kerr is probably going to try to use the death lineups more, as was the case when Bogut was on the team. I think Bogut got 10-15 minutes a game in the playoffs?

It's just a matter of how he'll take it if he sees his minutes drastically reduced and not given as many touches as he's getting now.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#93 » by Mylie10 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:31 am

You guys are over thinking things...If Boogie is healthy, he's in.

If we're in a tough game that has a tough matchup, Kerr may go in a different direction. It just depends.

But Boogie is an elite center when fully healthy. Right now he's above average. He does enough on both ends to be the main center. I don't see that changing.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
wco81
RealGM

Post#94 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:26 pm

It's almost the All Star break.

Unlikely he's going to improve in mobility except maybe towards June, if the Warriors are still playing.

Positives:

- takes up space in lane
- can finish in traffic some times.
- a rotational player good for about 20-25 minutes in the regular season. But in the playoffs?
- Can hit free throws and hit medium-range jumpers better than any other big on the roster.

Negatives:

- A liability on pick and roll. Reddick, who's not the greatest shot creator, separated from him easily with just one dribble for the winning shot.
- Vulnerable to athletic rim runners like Bam Adebayo. After one lob, Draymond was screaming at him.
- Probably going to be large negative in plus-minus because of the above two issues. By comparison, JJ and Looney fare much better in plus-minus.

What's unknown is how he'll respond to Kerr wanting to use the death lineups in the playoffs. In the Suns game, he begged Kerr to stay in in the fourth quarter. Still worked out and they got the win but given his history, it's another volatile personality to add to Draymond and to a lesser extent, KD.

If Robin Lopez is bought out, Warriors need to sign him as insurance.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#95 » by Phase 3 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:16 pm

wco81 wrote:It's almost the All Star break.

Unlikely he's going to improve in mobility except maybe towards June, if the Warriors are still playing.

Positives:

- takes up space in lane
- can finish in traffic some times.
- a rotational player good for about 20-25 minutes in the regular season. But in the playoffs?
- Can hit free throws and hit medium-range jumpers better than any other big on the roster.

Negatives:

- A liability on pick and roll. Reddick, who's not the greatest shot creator, separated from him easily with just one dribble for the winning shot.
- Vulnerable to athletic rim runners like Bam Adebayo. After one lob, Draymond was screaming at him.
- Probably going to be large negative in plus-minus because of the above two issues. By comparison, JJ and Looney fare much better in plus-minus.

What's unknown is how he'll respond to Kerr wanting to use the death lineups in the playoffs. In the Suns game, he begged Kerr to stay in in the fourth quarter. Still worked out and they got the win but given his history, it's another volatile personality to add to Draymond and to a lesser extent, KD.

If Robin Lopez is bought out, Warriors need to sign him as insurance.

Agree with most of that and agree on going after Lopez. Rumor is the Bulls are playing hardball with buying him out. If he’s not an option, the W’s might need to work on plan B in the buyout market.
wco81
RealGM

Post#96 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Boogie no longer has a cap on his minutes.

Jerebko and MacKinnie in addition to Looney has lost the most m8nutes it seems. JJ and McKinnies shots have disappeared, missing badly.

Bell getting a lot of DNPs too.

Saving grace is the Hamptons Five lineup. Better hope Iggy holds up.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#97 » by Mylie10 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:54 pm

There's something like 24 or 22 games left. I see Kerr pushing for 15 or so games to get a decent hold on the top spot and then reducing some minutes of the core.

Then hopefully some of the bench guys can pick up some minutes and get their games back on track.

While I think that's what Kerr is thinking, I personally would prefer less minutes for the core and more use of the others. I like it when you come at them in waves.

Also don't want both Steph and KD resting at the same time.
Khoee wrote “
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#98 » by Mylie10 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:58 pm

The Warriors defensive rating went from 14th to 4th with Cousins in the lineup.

Chew on that
Khoee wrote “
wco81
RealGM

Post#99 » by wco81 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:13 am

Blocked shots and rebounded against Rockets but was targeted repeatedly on pick and rolls and gave up a lot of easy jumpers to the Rockets.

So in a dozen games, he's shooting 43/28.6/75, in just under 24 minutes a game The FG% and 3P% are both well below his career averages.

They're going to have to cut his minutes back to under 15 in the playoffs. I think Bogut was at like 12 MPG in some playoffs series.

I think Myers was afraid to say no when Boogie called. And players didn't want to say no. It was big news last summer but I'd rather they'd have signed someone else, someone healthy and someone who isn't likely to malinger if they cut back his role in the playoffs.

Oh and one thing I HATE is when he dribbles it up court. OK, he's got skills but he provides no advantage over anyone else dribbling up court.

Warriors have indulged him enough.

Time to get serious. They do need his size inside at times but will he do the dirty work and not complain?
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Post#100 » by cpower » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:56 pm

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2019/lineups/

5 man lineup....man Cousins is killing this team right now..

Return to Golden State Warriors