ImageImageImageImageImage

Should Kerr use Klay like Miller/Rip?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Should Kerr use Klay like Miller/Rip? 

Post#1 » by cdubbz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 am

As in running off a bunch of screens to get open? It tires the defense out a lot, creates movement and opens Klay up for more shots.

I think it would be good to try it out esp with boogie coming. Just have Klay run. Off multiple screens. It keeps defense focused on him while we still have Curry, cousins, & Kd
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Re: Should Kerr use Klay like Miller/Rip? 

Post#2 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:33 am

cdubbz wrote:As in running off a bunch of screens to get open? It tires the defense out a lot, creates movement and opens Klay up for more shots.

I think it would be good to try it out esp with boogie coming. Just have Klay run. Off multiple screens. It keeps defense focused on him while we still have Curry, cousins, & Kd

How do you think Klay is used now?
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#3 » by likashing » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:34 am

cdubbz wrote:As in running off a bunch of screens to get open? It tires the defense out a lot, creates movement and opens Klay up for more shots.

We already do. We just don't have someone pounding/holding the ball waiting for Klay to run off screens aka Billups/LeBron or Jarrett Jack style. Keep you eyes on Klay on offense. Most of the time he is moving instead of standing.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#4 » by cdubbz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:41 am

xdrta+ wrote:

Not as much as Miller and RIP were in constant picks and movement
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#5 » by Jester_ » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm

cdubbz wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Based on what? Klay has more miles on him IIRC than anyone in the league in the last few years. All he and Curry do is run.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#6 » by Coxy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:19 pm

cdubbz wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

What game are you watching? How do you think Klay scores 40, 50, 60+ points on like 4, 8, 11 dribbles? That is all Klay does?

Is it opposites day?
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#7 » by CS707 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:45 am

Not a Mac Miller RIP thread? Disappoint.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#8 » by likashing » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:40 am

Since I have some spare time, I did some analysis on Klay's stats this season. Everyone knows his ts% is down this season (.545) from prior seasons (4 straight .591+ seasons before this one). He has been taking more mid range jumpers, as well as driving to the hoop more. His 3-pt-attempt rate is .405 this season, vs .442 and .470 the last 2 seasons.

While objectively, his drives look *much* better this season and there are fewer "Klay-ups", he is much less efficient than KD/Steph inside the arc (<- unfair comparison but still fact).

So I ran some numbers - Klay played 43 games this season, and 13 of them have 44% or more of his shot attempts being 3 (same as last season's average). His ts% in these 13 games? .585 - similar to the .590 level for his previous 4 seasons.

I don't mind Klay expanding his game, and for the long term it is good to keep defenders honest. *but* mid-range Klay is obviously much less efficient vs 0-dribble Klay. Actually eye test this season, offensively Klay looks like a more complete player. However, we have Steph and KD so when the games matter, I want Klay to turn off mid-range Klay and revert to 0-dribble Klay. That mode complements our team much better.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,153

Post#9 » by cpower » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:37 am

You can't force the guy to play the way he doesnt want to play. If klay wants to go iso a bit , what Kerr can do? He doesn't want to be the guy to force Klay out of the team.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#10 » by cdubbz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:31 am

I dunno. I haven’t watched much dub games the past two seasons due to cable and moving but I always saw RIP & Reggie CONSTANTLY running around off screens non stop 24-7. Always moving. Obviously we have lots of stars so Klay isn’t always in motion.

I’m probably wrong but do the dubs run multiple (3-4) picks for Klay? Just tire the hell out of defenders.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#11 » by Coxy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 am

cdubbz wrote:I dunno. I haven’t watched much dub games the past two seasons due to cable and moving but I always saw RIP & Reggie CONSTANTLY running around off screens non stop 24-7. Always moving. Obviously we have lots of stars so Klay isn’t always in motion.

I’m probably wrong but do the dubs run multiple (3-4) picks for Klay? Just tire the hell out of defenders.

Yes. He's non stop moving.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#12 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 am

cpower wrote:You can't force the guy to play the way he doesnt want to play. If klay wants to go iso a bit , what Kerr can do? He doesn't want to be the guy to force Klay out of the team.

That's your job
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#13 » by cladden » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:36 pm

If we ignore the fact that the 3s weren't going in I personally feel like Klay's played perfectly well all season long. He can pretty efficiently beat big men off the dribble and when he's the designated scorer with the bench he's generally the best option out there even with his ISO'ing. If you look at his 2pt % for the year it's the second best of his career. The only issue was that the threes weren't falling and now they are.

likashing
Head Coach

Post#14 » by likashing » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:18 pm

cladden wrote:If we ignore the fact that the 3s weren't going in I personally feel like Klay's played perfectly well all season long. He can pretty efficiently beat big men off the dribble and when he's the designated scorer with the bench he's generally the best option out there even with his ISO'ing. If you look at his 2pt % for the year it's the second best of his career. The only issue was that the threes weren't falling and now they are.

You have a point. So far it does appear when Klay tries to do everything - drives, drives and kick, post-up, mid-range, his 3's don't seem to fall. When he doesn't seem to do too much and focus on moving off-ball and catch-and-shoot, those are his better games.

He doesn't shoot as well when he tries to do too much.

Return to Golden State Warriors