Article: “I miss the old Steph Curry“

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Article: “I miss the old Steph Curry“ 

Post#1 » by HiRez » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 pm

I miss the old Steph Curry

This article perfectly sums up how I feel about this issue, one we’ve been discussing here for a long time.

I guess it comes down to whether you value championships above all else, or the enjoyment of watching the game. I like the trophies but honestly I have a lot less fun watching the games these days, and it’s not because I’m tired of them winning. Steph Curry at the top of his game is one of the most exciting things I’ve ever seen in sports and that Dallas game was to me a somewhat sad reminder of what we’ve been missing since KD got here.

I thank KD for coming and helping us win championships but honestly I’m not going to care if he decides to leave because I also want the old Steph back that much, even if it means we fall a little short at the end of the season.
Muscles
Senior
And1: 270

Re: Article: “I miss the old Steph Curry“ 

Post#2 » by Muscles » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 pm

So 48 pts 0 turnovers and a game winner the other night against Dallas isn't the old Curry?
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#3 » by Money_ » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 pm

Yes, I get it.
But as Muscles said, we've been seeing the old Steph this season. I've noticed a concerted effort by him to "get his" so to speak.

AND, KD is fitting in even more now. Defensively, Assist wise, cutting without the ball, etc.
I've noticed KD instinctively flowing with how this team moves a lot better than the last two seasons. If he didn't have the ball on offense he would often just stand on the weak side beyond the 3pt line. But now I see him cutting, setting screens, and moving without the ball a lot more. A threat like him needs to move in this offense.
BG
Sixth Man
And1: 458

Post#4 » by BG » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:13 pm

i prefer trophys over everything else. i love it when other stars have these kind of streaks, like Harden right now, or Westbrook with his triple doubles, and we win it all in june, because that's all that matters.
Warriors!!!
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,021

Post#5 » by Frozzy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Mans is close to averaging 30 PPG on great efficiency sharing the ball w/ 2 others who have the brightest of green lights. MVP Steph never left.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#6 » by HiRez » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 pm

Muscles wrote:So 48 pts 0 turnovers and a game winner the other night against Dallas isn't the old Curry?

It was, but as the article points out, that’s the exception instead of the rule now. Of course he didn’t used to score 48 every night, but he absolutely dominated and demoralized opponents on a regular basis.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#7 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Frozzy wrote:Mans is close to averaging 30 PPG on great efficiency sharing the ball w/ 2 others who have the brightest of green lights. MVP Steph never left.

I thought there was only one ball? :wink:

I like how KD has been finding the hot guy lately...IE Klay and Curry. Hell if Jerebko was on fire I believe he'd get it to him.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#8 » by Jester_ » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:27 am

Yeah, every time I say the current Warriors are boring AF I get **** on here. I don't know how you can have a competitive bone in your body and enjoy watching the Warriors the last few years.

We missed out on Steph Curry's prime. I haven't been able to get through a full regular season game the last 3 years - before that I'd wake up at 3am to watch games. '15-'16 was a magical season - shame the league ruined it with that bogus suspension.

Being overpowered is not fun. Kevin Durant ruined the league.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#9 » by Money_ » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:56 am

Jester_ wrote:

I cannot disagree with this take more... I'll take the championships all day long, and while I miss "when we were young", the kids have grown up into quite the team. KD is a result of their hard work. Ten years ago, would this team attract a FA like KD? We all know the answer to that... KD is the fruit of their labor, and championships are the pay off. Keep it rolling...
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,277

Post#10 » by CS707 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:14 am

I’m just fine with contemporary Steph. People can whine all they want about how stacked the Warriors are but it doesn’t work without his game and personality. And he still lets it out of the bottle just enough to remind the league that he’s Steph effing Curry. We’re lucky as fans. He’s going to be in McCovey territory when all is said and done.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#11 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:02 am

It's all about championships for me. How we get them is 100% secondary.

That said, Curry and KD are now playing the bulk of their minutes together as opposed to earlier in the season. I think Curry and KD have decided and made clear that they love playing together. They have the same maniacal work ethic and they love seeing each other hit shots. I was unsure after the Draymond flare up, but now I'm 100% positive KD is re-signing.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#12 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:06 am

Jester_ wrote:Yeah, every time I say the current Warriors are boring AF I get **** on here. I don't know how you can have a competitive bone in your body and enjoy watching the Warriors the last few years.

We missed out on Steph Curry's prime. I haven't been able to get through a full regular season game the last 3 years - before that I'd wake up at 3am to watch games. '15-'16 was a magical season - shame the league ruined it with that bogus suspension.

This makes no sense to me. I want the Warriors to curb stomp the league every year. I want to overtake the Lakers and Celtics and go down as the unquestioned most dominant NBA franchise in history and I want that to happen asap. Hell, I want to overtake the Yankees as the most dominant sports franchise in American history. I want to be known as the "Damn Warriors".

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:12 am

Jester_ wrote:Yeah, every time I say the current Warriors are boring AF I get **** on here. I don't know how you can have a competitive bone in your body and enjoy watching the Warriors the last few years.

Tonight's game was Fire buddy. To bad you missed it. Enjoy the snow
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
the_dinks
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#14 » by the_dinks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:33 am

Money_ wrote:Yes, I get it.
But as Muscles said, we've been seeing the old Steph this season. I've noticed a concerted effort by him to "get his" so to speak.

AND, KD is fitting in even more now. Defensively, Assist wise, cutting without the ball, etc.
I've noticed KD instinctively flowing with how this team moves a lot better than the last two seasons. If he didn't have the ball on offense he would often just stand on the weak side beyond the 3pt line. But now I see him cutting, setting screens, and moving without the ball a lot more. A threat like him needs to move in this offense.

Yes, his screening is vastly improved and he's great at finding Steph and Klay out of pick and pops now. He took a more limited part of his game and expanded it.
BG
Sixth Man
And1: 458

Post#15 » by BG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:36 am

it really seems to me that some people don't like the team to be successfull, because they are not the "cool" guys who are fans of a bad team anymore.

how can you say we missed out on Currys prime? we won 3 out of 4 with curry being most responsible for that run, and we're not finished yet. Of course the regular season isn't as "interesting" or meaningful as it was, when we were fighting for a playoff spot (or a draft pick), but if that's what comes with championship contention, i'll take it with a smile on my face. And how can you complain about the Ws being boring? We're hated more than ever before, yet we're winning it all, and can shut all the haters up with that trophy, what's boring about that? :nonono:
Warriors!!!
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#16 » by michaelm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 am

HiRez wrote:I miss the old Steph Curry

This article perfectly sums up how I feel about this issue, one we’ve been discussing here for a long time.

I guess it comes down to whether you value championships above all else, or the enjoyment of watching the game. I like the trophies but honestly I have a lot less fun watching the games these days, and it’s not because I’m tired of them winning. Steph Curry at the top of his game is one of the most exciting things I’ve ever seen in sports and that Dallas game was to me a somewhat sad reminder of what we’ve been missing since KD got here.

I thank KD for coming and helping us win championships but honestly I’m not going to care if he decides to leave because I also want the old Steph back that much, even if it means we fall a little short at the end of the season.

The trouble is that Curry is not robust enough to play that role for a whole season, he didn't even last that whole 2016 season in full health after all, let alone for multiple seasons.

You have to give it to Harden for durability, not that he isn't a vastly talented offensive player anyway, but while perhaps not many besides Rockets fans enjoy watching him do it, he takes considerable punishment playing as he does including drawing all those fouls, not something I want Steph to try.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#17 » by Coxy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:27 am

It's all good.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,172

Post#18 » by watch1958 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:25 pm

michaelm wrote:
HiRez wrote:I miss the old Steph Curry

The trouble is that Curry is not robust enough to play that role for a whole season, he didn't even last that whole 2016 season in full health after all, let alone for multiple seasons.

You have to give it to Harden for durability, not that he isn't a vastly talented offensive player anyway, but while perhaps not many besides Rockets fans enjoy watching him do it, he takes considerable punishment playing as he does including drawing all those fouls, not something I want Steph to try.
Yeah, I really miss watching Steph get the hell beat out of him in the OKC & Cleveland series in 15-16.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:58 pm

For sure ^^^

For those wanting Steph to be all world all the time, you are not realizing that he cannot take that for an entire year and an entire playoffs. He wouldn't be as fresh as we see him play now.

KD takes all the pressure off. They can't double and grab Steph all game long and just leave KD. And vice a versa for that matter. Plus KD can get you shots based on his size that Steph just can't if he's being doubled.

I love Curry going off as much as the next guy and it really seems like they're figuring out how and when to get theirs....Klay as well now.

If KD was an unwilling passer and he was freezing guys out, or just plain ignoring guys in order to force up his own shots, then I'd agree with the complaining. But KD has been hitting the hot hand and Steph hasn't been shy about taking shots from anywhere on the floor. Klay has finally settled in to catching and shooting most of his shots lately and he's back in a groove.

It's a joy to watch when they play the right way.
Khoee wrote “
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#20 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:59 pm

Jerry West said that when Magic Johnson played with Norm Nixon he was just Earvin Johnson. Jerry only called him Magic Johnson when he wasn't playing with Norm.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.

Return to Golden State Warriors