Article: “I miss the old Steph Curry“

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Re: Article: “I miss the old Steph Curry“ 

Post#21 » by PizzaSteve » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:28 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Jester_ wrote:Yeah, every time I say the current Warriors are boring AF I get **** on here. I don't know how you can have a competitive bone in your body and enjoy watching the Warriors the last few years.

We missed out on Steph Curry's prime. I haven't been able to get through a full regular season game the last 3 years - before that I'd wake up at 3am to watch games. '15-'16 was a magical season - shame the league ruined it with that bogus suspension.

Being overpowered is not fun. Kevin Durant ruined the league.

This makes no sense to me. I want the Warriors to curb stomp the league every year. I want to overtake the Lakers and Celtics and go down as the unquestioned most dominant NBA franchise in history and I want that to happen asap. Hell, I want to overtake the Yankees as the most dominant sports franchise in American history. I want to be known as the "Damn Warriors".

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!

From what i read it is male fans that lament more then women. Women are used to hitting the glass ceiling and are tougher...that said, I am in total agreement, other than their hurt fans of both genders can lament. carry on Curry and KD
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#22 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:27 am

PizzaSteve wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
Jester_ wrote:Yeah, every time I say the current Warriors are boring AF I get **** on here. I don't know how you can have a competitive bone in your body and enjoy watching the Warriors the last few years.

We missed out on Steph Curry's prime. I haven't been able to get through a full regular season game the last 3 years - before that I'd wake up at 3am to watch games. '15-'16 was a magical season - shame the league ruined it with that bogus suspension.

Being overpowered is not fun. Kevin Durant ruined the league.

This makes no sense to me. I want the Warriors to curb stomp the league every year. I want to overtake the Lakers and Celtics and go down as the unquestioned most dominant NBA franchise in history and I want that to happen asap. Hell, I want to overtake the Yankees as the most dominant sports franchise in American history. I want to be known as the "Damn Warriors".

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!

From what i read it is male fans that lament more then women. Women are used to hitting the glass ceiling and are tougher...that said, I am in total agreement, other than their hurt fans of both genders can lament. carry on Curry and KD

I actually don't talk like that normally. Only when quoting Conan the Barbarian.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#23 » by Samurai » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:26 am

Sure looked like "the old Steph" in the 3rd quarter tonight against the Pels.
Muscles
Senior
And1: 270

Post#24 » by Muscles » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:08 am

This is exactly why I swear these "I miss old Curry" people don't watch actual games. This version of Curry is even better then old Curry.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#25 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Muscles wrote:This is exactly why I swear these "I miss old Curry" people don't watch actual games. This version of Curry is even better then old Curry.

It's crazy. Other than when he was injured and recovering/limited he has been spectacular and MVP caliber. I think people have just gotten a very twisted view of what other season's looked like. Hes never been doing what Harden is doing. He's never eaten the basketball and taken every single shot just because he's hot. He has several minute long runs where he fires off a ton of shots and racks up a lot of points, but he doesn't do that all game long and never has.

Curry and Dray's injuries were deceptive when we were struggling because they were able to be on the court, but they really weren't themselves and we tried to compensate for that around them with a ton of Klay and KD shots. Things look just fine now that they are feeling better.

And Boogie is coming to eat your children, so there's that.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#26 » by thekdog34 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Why exactly does Curry have to play off-ball?

Kerr says it's best for the team, but why?
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,152

Post#27 » by cpower » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:00 pm

thekdog34 wrote:Why exactly does Curry have to play off-ball?

because KD cannot play offball. Kerr wants to maximize the offense so the most portable player of all time- Curry is taking the sacrifice.
thekdog34
Starter

Post#28 » by thekdog34 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:08 pm

cpower wrote:

because KD cannot play offball. Kerr wants to maximize the offense so the most portable player of all time- Curry is taking the sacrifice.

But he specifically mentioned doing it when Curry is with the second unit. Or did I misread that?

Also, Durant probably can play off-ball. He's just not great at it and might be unhappy doing it.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,152

Post#29 » by cpower » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:10 pm

thekdog34 wrote:
cpower wrote:

But he specifically mentioned doing it when Curry is with the second unit. Or did I misread that?

Also, Durant probably can play off-ball. He's just not great at it and might be unhappy doing it.

I think we are just too afraid that KD will be unhappy and not sign with the team.
thekdog34
Starter

Post#30 » by thekdog34 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:29 pm

cpower wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:
cpower wrote:because KD cannot play offball. Kerr wants to maximize the offense so the most portable player of all time- Curry is taking the sacrifice.

I think we are just too afraid that KD will be unhappy and not sign with the team.

Strange situation. Nerfing the best player to make the second best player happy so he doesn't leave.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Post#31 » by Outside » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:33 pm

The main reason is that Curry has huge off-ball gravity that opens up offense for everyone else. No one else in the game demands so much defensive focus off the ball, and that focus extends out past the three-point line.

Other stars mostly chill when they're off ball, so you just need one guy to keep an eye on them. Curry is willing to work when he's off ball, and he's such a deadly weapon receiving the ball and putting up a shot before the defense can react. He's probably most effective when he dishes and relocates outside the three-point line. He also frees himself up by setting screens for other guys, because that lulls the defense into thinking that they have him covered, but he's genius at popping out of that screen to get the sliver of space he needs to get his shot off.

He's different from a guy like Durant, who can basically get his shot off anytime due to his length. There's at least a chance Curry can be negated by the defense because he doesn't have a size or length advantage, but it requires extreme focus by multiple defenders to do that.

Keeping track of Curry is number one on every other team's defensive scheme task list. That means a lot less focus on the other guys.
thekdog34
Starter

Post#32 » by thekdog34 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:08 pm

Outside wrote:

The main reason is that Curry has huge off-ball gravity that opens up offense for everyone else. No one else in the game demands so much defensive focus off the ball, and that focus extends out past the three-point line.

Other stars mostly chill when they're off ball, so you just need one guy to keep an eye on them. Curry is willing to work when he's off ball, and he's such a deadly weapon receiving the ball and putting up a shot before the defense can react. He's probably most effective when he dishes and relocates outside the three-point line. He also frees himself up by setting screens for other guys, because that lulls the defense into thinking that they have him covered, but he's genius at popping out of that screen to get the sliver of space he needs to get his shot off.

He's different from a guy like Durant, who can basically get his shot off anytime due to his length. There's at least a chance Curry can be negated by the defense because he doesn't have a size or length advantage, but it requires extreme focus by multiple defenders to do that.

Keeping track of Curry is number one on every other team's defensive scheme task list. That means a lot less focus on the other guys.

Ok but they're at their best when Curry starts off ball and that's followed by ball movement and Curry moving. It doesn't mean Durant isoing with Curry playing decoy
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Post#33 » by Outside » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:25 pm

thekdog34 wrote:
Outside wrote:

Ok but they're at their best when Curry starts off ball and that's followed by ball movement and Curry moving. It doesn't mean Durant isoing with Curry playing decoy

While I recognize the utility of it, I'm not a fan of KD isos where everyone else stands around, and I don't many people who are. That's not what I'm advocating.

As I mentioned, I think Curry is particularly effective when he starts WITH the ball, gives it up, and relocates. That's completely different from a KD iso. I also think that he's still effective when he starts off ball, particularly when he's involved in screening action. Again, that doesn't mean KD iso, and Curry off ball is something that works no matter who is on the floor. The defensive has to focus on him or he'll torch them, and when it does focus on him, that creates space for everyone else.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#34 » by michaelm » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:30 pm

thekdog34 wrote:
Outside wrote:

Bit tough to criticise Durant when he has won them so many games, him as an iso option is vital if the shots are not dropping for the shooters or a team with good defensive players and a great smart coach like the Celtics manages to defend the ball movement scheme.

I also think think Curry playing more off ball reduces the wear and tear on him. I think he is much better than Harden, but his body wouldn’t hold up if he played Harden’s game.
thekdog34
Starter

Post#35 » by thekdog34 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:47 pm

Outside wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:
Outside wrote:

While I recognize the utility of it, I'm not a fan of KD isos where everyone else stands around, and I don't many people who are. That's not what I'm advocating.

As I mentioned, I think Curry is particularly effective when he starts WITH the ball, gives it up, and relocates. That's completely different from a KD iso. I also think that he's still effective when he starts off ball, particularly when he's involved in screening action. Again, that doesn't mean KD iso, and Curry off ball is something that works no matter who is on the floor. The defensive has to focus on him or he'll torch them, and when it does focus on him, that creates space for everyone else.

Yes they should do the KD iso as the secondary option. Too often they do it instead much better sets with Curry.

Return to Golden State Warriors