ImageImageImageImageImage

Durant talks to media and things get uncomfortable

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Durant talks to media and things get uncomfortable 

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 3:17 pm

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/dont-trust-none-yall-kevin-durant-vents-media-free-agency/

Check it out and watch the video. He's especially bothered by Ethan Strauss. Who if you guys aren't aware is a local guy who used to be one of us trolls on the interwebs.

Strauss is a guy that has gotten into it with Draymond in the past and is not well liked at all by the Warriors. Our other was disturbing buddy Tim Kawakami is involved (of course) as well.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Re: Durant talks to media and things get uncomfortable 

Post#2 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Feb 7, 2019 3:38 pm

Nice, he actually called out Ethan Strauss. :lol:
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#3 » by Mylie10 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:26 pm

Strauss is a snarky little B
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
GoldenRay
Ballboy
And1: 2

This is why Draymond went off earlier in the year. 

Post#4 » by GoldenRay » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:34 pm

Kevin Durant could swing the GS dynasty what +/- 3/4 championships.

It's the difference between an historic, Celtics challenging dynasty and an impressive, Bulls type dynasty.

With that much on the line, hearing or NOT HEARING that Durant is committed to championships over individual achievement is HUGE.

It may be the biggest thing going on in the NBA this season.

But Kevin Durant doesn't want to talk about THAT. Why? Because his lack of commitment to the GS core reflects badly on him and he knows it.

It makes him look selfish, and short-sighted.

Who cares whether Kevin Durant can win a championship with the Clippers?

Kevin Durant.

And that's a huge huge story that's not going away just because Kevin Durant wants it to...
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Re: This is why Draymond went off earlier in the year. 

Post#5 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:57 pm

GoldenRay wrote:Kevin Durant could swing the GS dynasty what +/- 3/4 championships.

It's the difference between an historic, Celtics challenging dynasty and an impressive, Bulls type dynasty.

With that much on the line, hearing or NOT HEARING that Durant is committed to championships over individual achievement is HUGE.

But Kevin Durant doesn't want to talk about THAT. Why? Because his lack of commitment to the GS core reflects badly on him and he knows it.

Kevin Durant.

And that's a huge huge story that's not going away just because Kevin Durant wants it to...

That you Ethan?

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Re: This is why Draymond went off earlier in the year. 

Post#6 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:59 pm

GoldenRay wrote:Kevin Durant could swing the GS dynasty what +/- 3/4 championships.

Kevin Durant.

Good points, Ethan.

Look. Durant is increasingly appearing socially inept. Good thing for him he's a basketball player and not a politician. If he wants to just play basketball this year, and deal with his free agency once, you know, he's a free agent, I'm totally fine with that. Even if he knows what he wants to do, I'm not sure anything constructive comes of badgering him trying to get him to say so. He handled things poorly, but if the underlying impetus was trying to get him to react to the fact that the Knicks traded a player to the Mavs, I can see why he's getting annoyed.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#7 » by Mylie10 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 5:29 pm

He took 9 days off from questions because he knew the stupid questions would come the second the Knicks traded Porzingas.

He spoke last night because Ethan Strauss just wrote his story the day before and Strauss took conversations he's had around the league and with Warriors people and came away thinking Durant is leaving.

But when context is applied we need to acknowledge that this specific writer has past warrior player issues. Right or wrong.

So KD chose to respond last night it was because he knew that the question was coming and he specifically called out Strauss as a person he wanted to respond to.

Of course then Kawakami jumps in frothing at the mouth dreaming of all the clicks coming their way.

They poke the bear, bear attacks, and they love it because it drives poeple to their articles and sites.

Of course these guys need to talk to media. Some handle it better than others, but all of them despise most of the media who drive this type of narrative. Not all of the media, but the ones who use speculation as a form of journalism.

We all speculate here, but we aren't in the print media. We are fans voicing opinions. Many of these scummy media types turn speculation into so called facts and they drive their narratives with unnamed sources. It could be a guy who handles washing the teams uniforms for all we know as a so called Warrior figure who told me X.

Durant didn't yell or raise his voice. He pointed out what many already know. That whether he talks or not the ess is rolling down hill. Maybe he could handle things better, but he did say early on this year that he wasn't going to talk free agency until July.

Newsflash!!!! It's not July.
Khoee wrote “
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#8 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Feb 7, 2019 5:42 pm

KD is being overly defensive, he needs to learn how to give the bland meaningless answers that athletes have to give these days to avoid media scrutiny, but when a troll is going "why are you not talking? you sure you don't wanna talk? you sure there's nothing on you mind? no, are you sure? just tell us you're going to the Knicks, c'mon!" to sell books I would be annoyed too.

Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#9 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 6:28 pm

He should go the Marshawn Lynch route. I don’t give two craps what he says about Free agency any meatpeeper who does needs to go pee up a rope.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#10 » by likashing » Thu Feb 7, 2019 7:32 pm

Strauss has no inside access to any of the Warriors anymore and he just makes **** up for click bait. I still remember him writing an article throwing shades at Draymond. Strauss used to be a decent journalist with substance. Now he is at Steven A Smith's level.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#11 » by FNQ » Thu Feb 7, 2019 9:27 pm

I miss the silent Kevin Durant
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#12 » by Money_ » Thu Feb 7, 2019 9:49 pm

The whole thing is silly. I don't blame KD for feeling the way he does about it, but the whole thing could have been solved by him just by saying (as he did earlier this season) that he's not talking about free agency until July... and just keep repeating that. done. If you continue asking me about it, interview over...

The media are just harassing him about this and they know they will get a reaction. That being said, KD needs to get better advice on how to handle these things. But I love his point.. basically that he is trying to focus on the matter at hand, basketball, and they want to ask about him about speculation on a decision that he will not make final until July. Many factors can sway what he decides to do, and I don't think he even knows what he is going to do, yet.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#13 » by HiRez » Thu Feb 7, 2019 10:05 pm

KD can be a bit touchy but I have some sympathy for him. Just stop asking him about it, it’s obvious he’s not going to say anything now and he shouldn’t. It’s like repeatedly pestering people about “are you going to run for President?” There’s no way they’re answering that question, it’s stupid to ask it and a waste of everyone’s time.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Post#14 » by Outside » Thu Feb 7, 2019 10:12 pm

KD takes the media stuff too much to heart. He'd be better off dismissing it as the ramblings of a homeless guy on the bus bench.

But since he made a point to call out Ethan Strauss for his article lining Durant up to go to the Knicks, I kinda like that. It reminds me of when he called out Stephen A. for saying Durant was going to leave OKC for the Lakers. Whether it pissed Durant off that Stephen A. was so wrong or that Durant made a point to drop the Lakers from his plans out of spite, doesn't matter to me, as long as this clapback to Strauss means the Knicks are off the table.

I personally don't understand why Durant would go elsewhere. He'll never find a better situation basketball-wise or a fellow superstar more accommodating or amiable than Curry. I think Durant's generally surliness about the media speculating that he's leaving is as good an indicator as we're going to get that he's staying.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#15 » by Phase 3 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 10:19 pm

KD is soft and overly sensitive. Nothing new. He’s got another thing coming to him though if he thinks the NY media will treat him with the same kid gloves that Bay Area media has been treating him with. They’ll eat him alive.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#16 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Feb 7, 2019 10:29 pm

Don’t know if the “big bad NY media” is a thing anymore. That was the case when NY sports teams had like 25 beat writers compared to a small market who has 2 beat writers, but all the local papers have downsized. The NY Daily News literally has one person covering the NBA/Knicks.

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#17 » by Impuniti » Thu Feb 7, 2019 11:12 pm

So apparently Strauss waved at him in a mocking fashion when KD was ranting. All this **** disturbing to whore himself for a new book he's writing. It's pathetic but we've seen that any advertisement good or bad is good news.

KD on the other hand handles this stuff about as bad as I've ever seen a superstar handle it. I really don't get why he seems so antsy, why this guy has so much angst. He's building a billion dollar empire, playing with a championship team in a great environment, city, & winning championships. Even has a player that teams focus to defend when KD is one of the goat scorers.

Maybe he expected that he would be seen as the undisputed best in the world if he won and is angry it didn't happen. But it's also kind of stupid to expect such a thing since you joined a 2x MVP that beat you. Moral of the story is I don't get what keeps KD unhappy at this point. You have it all.
StepBackCrack
Starter
And1: 3,083

Post#18 » by StepBackCrack » Thu Feb 7, 2019 11:31 pm

KD isn't really good at PR but don't you hear many people say how fake or utterly boring star athletes are when they give robotic answers? KD hates that **** and unfortunately this burns him in the media who can easily twist his words to sell stories based on bull. You want no trouble as star athlete? Just say the most dull robotic fake answers possible and you are good! Be a Kawhi and all is good. KD just can't bring himself to give fake answers and when he does give his what he really feels, media jumps on it twisting his words to sell a narrative or a story. The worst example this season was when the media jumped on him for "calling LeBron Toxic teammate" even tho the toxicity he meant wasn't directed at LeBron himself. This is why he is sick of the media. I can't blame him. And now this clown Ethan drives the narrative for GSW fans on twitter thanks to his BS article with no real sources.
StepBackCrack
Starter

Post#19 » by StepBackCrack » Thu Feb 7, 2019 11:38 pm

It's true dealing with the media comes with the territory but if I were him and see writers literally twisting my words for clicks, then I would be annoyed to. They make their profit at the expense of ruining my reputation by twisting my words or just based on pure assumptions. Of course not all media is this type but this type of media in particular can be so problematic because many fans will eat this up and consider what people like Ethan say is the truth. I really think GSW and their management don't like this Ethan guy at all even tho many GSW fans on twitter think he is so great.
StepBackCrack
Starter

Post#20 » by StepBackCrack » Fri Feb 8, 2019 12:03 am

Impuniti wrote:Maybe he expected that he would be seen as the undisputed best in the world if he won and is angry it didn't happen. But it's also kind of stupid to expect such a thing since you joined a 2x MVP that beat you. Moral of the story is I don't get what keeps KD unhappy at this point. You have it all.

Maybe seeing guys like Harden with more stats and way more media praise so they put them ahead of KD already just because KD can't ball-hog as much as he wants to post ridiculous stats (even tho he easily can when given the chance). Plus he doesn't get enough credit for his FMVPs from the fans or the media I think. If most think my FMVPs are "cheap", then that would annoy me for sure. Plus there is idea that in the NBA, if you don't post ridiculous stats, you can't be the best player in the NBA. That's the rule. Steph and KD can't go Harden or LeBron mode because they play with each and they are more unselfish in general. Them sacrificing for the team isn't seen are something worth much praise in the media whereas players like Harden and LeBron caring more about their stats is way praised in the media. That **** is annoying imo. KD I think doesn't like the fact it's all about stats in the NBA. He loves playing the right way and not making it all about himself on the court. The fact that arguably the most talented scorer ever doesn't mind seeing Klay Thompson shooting more than him on many nights tells a lot about his unselfishness.

That said, I don't think he looks at the big picture enough and I say this as a fan. He is just too invested in the present and what people think of him NOW!!!

He will easily end up top 15 player and maybe top 10. That's utter greatness right there. Can't ask for more than that. That's the big picture he doesn't pay much attention to. He is just getting burned now because he can't just ignore bull said about him and is sick of the NBA current narratives.

Return to Golden State Warriors