ImageImageImageImageImage

Jacob Evans

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Re: Jacob Evans 

Post#21 » by cdubbz » Tue Apr 9, 2019 12:36 am

Yeah didnt knkw much about him in college and still know nothing about him.

Woukd rather have had Duke star point guard that went undrafted
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#22 » by Phase 3 » Tue Apr 9, 2019 7:41 pm

killmongrel wrote:Am I the only that thinks if the Warriors actually give him minutes next to the all stars, he'd actually be useful?

If the only way a player looks “serviceable” is if you play him with 3-4 all stars, then he’s not very good.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#23 » by Samurai » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:58 pm

Surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this, but Evans looked pretty good last night in his first start. Played 37 minutes and his defense looked pretty solid with 3 steals and 2 blocks, but he also seemed to have pretty good defensive positioning. Also had 4 defensive rebounds. While he was only 1-4 from distance, his shot looked better with a better arc (less flat than it looked before) and a couple were in-and-out. Shot 5-10 overall. Most importantly, he actually looked like an NBA player, at least for one game. I view this as an encouraging step in the right direction.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#24 » by xdrta+ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 pm

Samurai wrote:Surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this, but Evans looked pretty good last night in his first start. Played 37 minutes and his defense looked pretty solid with 3 steals and 2 blocks, but he also seemed to have pretty good defensive positioning. Also had 4 defensive rebounds. While he was only 1-4 from distance, his shot looked better with a better arc (less flat than it looked before) and a couple were in-and-out. Shot 5-10 overall. Most importantly, he actually looked like an NBA player, at least for one game. I view this as an encouraging step in the right direction.

There will be plenty of discussion if he has an off game tonight, as in people writing him off as "not an NBA player." IMO he'll be a regular part of the rotation next season, no matter how he looks tonight.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#25 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:17 pm

He may need more G league but he looked like a player in the last game.

Fall 2017 people here were ready to give up on Looney.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#26 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:48 pm

Picks 26 27 28 29 30
2012 to 2017 who is still in the league out of the 30 picks.
Miles Plumlee
(Festus got injured)
(Roberson got injured)
Rudy Golbert
Bogdanovic
Kyle Anderson
Nance
Looney
Siakam
Labissiere
(Dejounte Murray injured)
Damian Jones barely
Kuzma
Hart
Derrick White
Swanigan G-league
Bradley G-League
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#27 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:25 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Samurai wrote:Surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this, but Evans looked pretty good last night in his first start. Played 37 minutes and his defense looked pretty solid with 3 steals and 2 blocks, but he also seemed to have pretty good defensive positioning. Also had 4 defensive rebounds. While he was only 1-4 from distance, his shot looked better with a better arc (less flat than it looked before) and a couple were in-and-out. Shot 5-10 overall. Most importantly, he actually looked like an NBA player, at least for one game. I view this as an encouraging step in the right direction.

There will be plenty of discussion if he has an off game tonight, as in people writing him off as "not an NBA player." IMO he'll be a regular part of the rotation next season, no matter how he looks tonight.

More a reflection of the Warriors salary cap situation than him deserving of being on a roster.

As long as the team sees him willing to work on his weaknesses, because he’s got a lot of room for improvement.

Malik Beasley was the #19 pick of his draft class and hadn’t done anything until this year but improved his shooting numbers each year and took a big jump this year.

He shot so poorly — not sure how he shot at Santa Cruz — that he has to show big improvement next year, at least approach 40/30.

Or contribute in other ways, like defense, rebounding, finishing on fast breaks. That’s what Iggy and Draymond still do. The problem is, Evans doesn’t seem to play that big, like go to the rim with any kind of authority.

If he ever shoots decently, teams will close out on him more aggressively and he’s got to be able to attack the basket when that happens, either finish or find the open man as the defense is rotating.

But if he gets regular minutes, probably not a good sign.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#28 » by The-Power » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 pm

cdubbz wrote:Woukd rather have had Duke star point guard that went undrafted

The guy that can't see the floor at all in Milwaukee, that was terrible even in the G-League and has a terrible jumpshot? Yeah, no thanks. Makes zero sense to me to want him no matter how terrible our Rookie has been.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#29 » by Samurai » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:04 pm

wco81 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

More a reflection of the Warriors salary cap situation than him deserving of being on a roster.

As long as the team sees him willing to work on his weaknesses, because he’s got a lot of room for improvement.

Malik Beasley was the #19 pick of his draft class and hadn’t done anything until this year but improved his shooting numbers each year and took a big jump this year.

He shot so poorly — not sure how he shot at Santa Cruz — that he has to show big improvement next year, at least approach 40/30.

Or contribute in other ways, like defense, rebounding, finishing on fast breaks. That’s what Iggy and Draymond still do. The problem is, Evans doesn’t seem to play that big, like go to the rim with any kind of authority.

If he ever shoots decently, teams will close out on him more aggressively and he’s got to be able to attack the basket when that happens, either finish or find the open man as the defense is rotating.

But if he gets regular minutes, probably not a good sign.

Evans played in 21 games at SC, starting 16 of them and averaged 26 minutes/game. He shot 49% on 2's and 31% on 3's; 44% overall with a TS% of 51%. Also shot 79% on FT's.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#30 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:16 am

Duda13 wrote:It’s been a long dry spell for the warriors front office..

They've been a bit snakebit ... McCaw lost his mind which lead to Boucher being let go because they needed another wing to develop. Bell is a bit of a headcase. Kerr doesn't like to play young guys and the expectations and playing with all-nba players is hard on non-star draft picks (and the Warriors have had no chance to draft a star).

Late 1st round picks are always a challenge because the players always have flaws.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#31 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:01 pm

I dunno about a dryspell, every team swings and misses on most late picks. I feel like most of the picks at least made sense.

Looney has worked out
McCaw was looking promising, but I think playing well in one NBA finals game and winning two 'ships went to his head
Jones was a good upside pick because of his size/athleticism and being raw, but he never developed
literally everyone was happy we bought a pick to draft Bell
Evans I think is the one where everyone is going "what were they thinking?" cuz he doesn't look like he's good at anything
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#32 » by Mylie10 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:50 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:I dunno about a dryspell, every team swings and misses on most late picks. I feel like most of the picks at least made sense.

Looney has worked out
McCaw was looking promising, but I think playing well in one NBA finals game and winning two 'ships went to his head
Jones was a good upside pick because of his size/athleticism and being raw, but he never developed
Evans I think is the one where everyone is going "what were they thinking?" cuz he doesn't look like he's good at anything

A few guys we had in Santa Cruz are getting time now;
George Niang - Utah
Danuel House - Houston
Deyonta Davis and Kendrick Nunn signed elsewhere.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#33 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:41 am

Deyonta is my guy

but yeah, it feels like we’re letting a lot of Santa Cruz talent slip away

Nunn is a baddie chuck tho
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#34 » by xdrta+ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:05 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Deyonta is my guy

Just because they play on Santa Cruz doesn't mean the Warriors have any claim on them. Any team can sign them at any time, just like the rest of the G league.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:I dunno about a dryspell, every team swings and misses on most late picks. I feel like most of the picks at least made sense.

Looney has worked out

A few guys we had in Santa Cruz are getting time now;
George Niang - Utah
Danuel House - Houston
Deyonta Davis and Kendrick Nunn signed elsewhere.

G League MVP is a former Warrior.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:27 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

Just because they play on Santa Cruz doesn't mean the Warriors have any claim on them. Any team can sign them at any time, just like the rest of the G league.

Yes and no. Draft picks playing in the GL are protected as are up to 2 players on development contracts.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#37 » by xdrta+ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Yes and no. Draft picks playing in the GL are protected as are up to 2 players on development contracts.

A two-way contract, max 2 per team, is signed with an NBA team, and so he is restricted to that team, unlike a G league contract which is signed with the G league. Signing with the league means they are free agents, eligible to sign with any team. It's true that a team still holding draft rights to a player can stash him in the G league, meaning he's still protected, under the “Draft Rights Player” rule. This is rarely used, never by the Warriors, to my knowledge.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#38 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:48 pm

He's back!
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.

Return to Golden State Warriors