ImageImageImageImageImage

DeMarcus Cousins: Resign or Let Him Walk?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Re: DeMarcus Cousins: Resign or Let Him Walk? 

Post#21 » by whatisacenter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:52 pm

I would rather have an athletic long rim runner with this squad.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#22 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Badly Browned wrote:It's a no brainer to offer Cousins the 20% Non-Bird raise, imo.

Unfortunately for US?, his recent injury is going to depress his value again, so that might end up being enough to keep him.

FTFY
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#23 » by SFrush » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:34 pm

whatisacenter wrote:I would rather have an athletic long rim runner with this squad.

Like it or not that's probably going to be Damian Jones in that role.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#24 » by whatisacenter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:38 pm

SFrush wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:I would rather have an athletic long rim runner with this squad.

I am fine with that and possibly add Dewayne Dedmon.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#25 » by xdrta+ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:28 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
SFrush wrote:

I'd love to have Dedmon, but he's coming off his best year. He'll be 30 next season, probably his last shot at a decent, multi-year contract, maybe out of the W's price range.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#26 » by Samurai » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:48 am

xdrta+ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
SFrush wrote:

I'd love to have Dedmon, but he's coming off his best year. He'll be 30 next season, probably his last shot at a decent, multi-year contract, maybe out of the W's price range.

I also tend to think that he may get an offer out of our price range. If not, he would be a great add. But only if Curry signed off on the deal. Remember Dedmon set a dirty screen back in 2017 where he tried to take out Curry's knee - definitely not cool.

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#27 » by Mylie10 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:43 am

I think I let Cousins walk no matter what the cost. Because it wouldn't be less than it was this year, and it's obvious to me he's not a great fit.

We need defense, passing, screen setting, shot blocking, and finish lobs in our center. Lot to ask without much cash.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#28 » by HiRez » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:31 pm

The guy who might be playing himself into a much bigger contract (probably not here) may be Looney instead of Cousins.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#29 » by Samurai » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:34 pm

HiRez wrote:The guy who might be playing himself into a much bigger contract (probably not here) may be Looney instead of Cousins.

At least we have Bird rights on Looney, correct? So we can sign him as long as Lacob is willing to write the check.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#30 » by Coxy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:52 am

Mylie10 wrote:I think I let Cousins walk no matter what the cost. Because it wouldn't be less than it was this year, and it's obvious to me he's not a great fit.

We need defense, passing, screen setting, shot blocking, and finish lobs in our center. Lot to ask without much cash.

Agreed.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#31 » by xdrta+ » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:59 am

Samurai wrote:
HiRez wrote:The guy who might be playing himself into a much bigger contract (probably not here) may be Looney instead of Cousins.

At least we have Bird rights on Looney, correct? So we can sign him as long as Lacob is willing to write the check.

The Warriors have Looney's Bird rights, but who knows how much they're willing to pay. If they end up in tax territory, with the repeater tax it will cost them about 4 times the salary in tax. Personally, I don't think he'll get much in the way of offers. In spite of making a few jump shots, he's still an undersized, non-shooting center. The market just isn't there, IMO.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#32 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:00 am

I'd be fine with him coming back. He's not ideal, but he is definitely skilled and when he bought in on defense he had some really good games.

I would be fine with having the same set of bigs next year as this year overall really. Cousins, Looney, Jones, Bell, Jerebko.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#33 » by Samurai » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:42 am

Scoots1994 wrote:I'd be fine with him coming back. He's not ideal, but he is definitely skilled and when he bought in on defense he had some really good games.

I would be fine with having the same set of bigs next year as this year overall really. Cousins, Looney, Jones, Bell, Jerebko.

I agree. Very few would argue that he is a "perfect fit" with this team, but the team dynamic in terms of strengths and tendencies could be different if KD leaves. KD is such a unique offensive weapon. If we didn't have KD, Cousins' iso tendencies may be more critical to our offense even if it may not be the most aesthetically pleasing form of offense from a fan perspective. And while many are quick to point out his deficiencies, few acknowledge how good his passing is and how his passing does fit with this team.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#34 » by Mylie10 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:26 am

Most likely here.

With all of the young players brought in during this run, Looney is the only one who is truly panning out. So I fully expect the Warriors to pay him to stay.

Signing free agents outside of our own will be extremely tough and mostly just minimum contracts and the MLE potentially.

So paying for one of our own to stay, frees up our other limited resources to sign and add depth.
Yes we sign Looney, and we give him a solid number. I don't care how much it costs Lacob.

Also, I believe he's only scratching the surface of his offensive ability. When he was young he had a fairly complete offensive repretoire. His injuries detailed that development and forced him into being a basic skills guy. But as this health has improved and his confidence has grown, we see glimpses of what he might be able to do offensively on more of a regular basis.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#35 » by Swift21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:16 am

I'm not worried about Looney. Unlike last summer we have his bird rights.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:15 pm

If you could have Brook Lopez or Boogie Cousins who would you want?
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#37 » by East Bay Sports » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Badly Browned wrote:It's a no brainer to offer Cousins the 20% Non-Bird raise, imo.

Unfortunately for Cousins, his recent injury is going to depress his value again, so that might end up being enough to keep him.

Yep. feel awful for Boogs and I hate to say it but in that moment I was like well damn at least we may be able to keep him now. This was probably the only way
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#38 » by Mylie10 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:09 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:If you could have Brook Lopez or Boogie Cousins who would you want?

Robin

But to answer your question, Brooks. Because he has transformed his game into a prolific 3 point shooter. Both suck at defense.
Khoee wrote “
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:59 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:If you could have Brook Lopez or Boogie Cousins who would you want?

Robin

But to answer your question, Brooks. Because he has transformed his game into a prolific 3 point shooter. Both suck at defense.

I think their defense is under-rated. But no question they are not great defenders at center. But on that front we are spoiled by Bogut.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,682

Post#40 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:30 pm

It depends on what the other teams are willing to pay.

Did the Achilles Injury cause the quad injury? Will he keep getting injuries?

What will the Warriors have for offense when starters rest. 2 out of 3 of Curry, KD and Klay should be on the floor at all times and perhaps KD won't be here. Warriors bench doesn't have a decent first or 2nd option role scorer. Cousins could score. Cousins could Box out better than Zaza could Box out. I am still wary off how Stevie Adams made Bogut and Draymond look weak in 2016. Maybe Bogut was injured. I want a Zaza strong guy on the bench and cousins is one of the few really strong guys that have skills. Cousins may have called his own number too much but he can fit into the Warriors passing game. Cousins can really pass.

The rim runners do fit well with the Warriors or at least JaVale made it look that way. Damian Jones did not make it look that way. You could play Curry at off guard and Klay at small forward with a mobile shot blocking center and Draymond without being worried about Curry and Klay getting posted up. Then you could play a point guard that can stop the opposing point guard dribble if you wanted to.

Rim runner, Looney and Cousins might be too much investment in Centers unless you call Jones and Bell the rim runners.

Cousins knows the Warriors now which increases Cousins value to the Warriors. The Warriors do have other things they need to spend on but the Zaza strong man type role will cost the Warriors some money anyway unless the Warriors are OK to have a barely playable strong guy or no strong guy.

It comes down to money. If Cousins is priced as being able to play a full season as a 1st or 2nd option then the Warriors can't afford him.

Return to Golden State Warriors