ImageImageImageImageImage

Okay, I'll say it: Is this team better without Durant?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Re: Okay, I'll say it: Is this team better without Durant? 

Post#21 » by superunknown » Mon May 20, 2019 10:29 am

Coxy wrote:Yes, we are better without Durant, however we will have long term stamina issues now.

The better question, is are we better long term with a different player in place of Durant, like Ariza, Aminu, ot that type of player. Short answer, is also yes.

aminu?
and ariza is going to turn 34 this summer, we're witnessing what is happening to iggy after a certain age. ariza could replace him at this stage, not KD.
bottom line is there're not so many ariza/aminu type of players who are younger than ariza and better than aminu (which btw is a poor version of harrison barnes) and come pretty cheap on the market.
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#22 » by Senchu » Mon May 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Everyone talking that they want Ws to win w/o KD. My dream scenario is - Ws go down 0-2 w/o KD, he comes back and Dubs win it in 7. How awesome would that be!
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#23 » by SFrush » Mon May 20, 2019 2:25 pm

Senchu wrote:Everyone talking that they want Ws to win w/o KD. My dream scenario is - Ws go down 0-2 w/o KD, he comes back and Dubs win it in 7. How awesome would that be!

Just win. Ignore the silly narratives.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#24 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon May 20, 2019 8:30 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:They are playing harder and smarter without Durant because they are rising to the challenge of playing without Durant. If the bored version of the Warriors tried to play without Durant they would have problems.

You would think they would realize that before they get down 15-18 points by halftime.

I guess Durant being gone isn't good enough; they also need to be down by 15 at halftime.

Having a big lead did not work so well vs the Clippers.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#25 » by jamesnamida » Mon May 20, 2019 9:24 pm

No.
We went 16-1 the first year.
Wrecked the cavs both years 8-1 ( that 2017 cavs team was better than the 2016 we choked to)
Durant got us out of the Houston series last year in game 6.
Everyone was riding Durant before he went down and curry was in his slump ( he had just as many good looks with Durant playing).
Beating the choke artist rockets and the glad to be here blazers ( we beat that core 4-1 in 2016 with curry playing like 1 game) doesn’t mean we are s better team. He will be needed vs the bucks.

Though I will say that without Durant we aren’t that much worse if the depth is filled in the off season or if the role players step up like they currently are doing.

3peat. Durant can then make whatever decision, I wouldnt care much if he leaves but he will get his number retired and statue bc he’d deserve it.
If he does leave, that would give curry klay and green motivation to have a great 2020 season.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#26 » by a8bil » Mon May 20, 2019 11:52 pm

superunknown wrote:stop with this nonsense.
no team is better without 2 of their starting 5 players.
Dwight Howard, Josh Smith come immediately to mind.
Scotty2Hotty
Junior
And1: 86

Post#27 » by Scotty2Hotty » Tue May 21, 2019 12:20 am

Mac1958 wrote:Okay, I'll say it: Is this team better without Durant?

likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#28 » by likashing » Tue May 21, 2019 3:54 am

We will get 9 days of this **** thread. Can’t wait!
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#29 » by HiRez » Tue May 21, 2019 4:40 am

Being "more fun" and "not better" are not mutually exclusive. They're not better (but still really good) but IMO they are decisively more fun to watch.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#30 » by Mylie10 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:35 am

HiRez wrote:Being "more fun" and "not better" are not mutually exclusive. They're not better (but still really good) but IMO they are decisively more fun to watch.

Mostly because they take on some sort of underdog status versus unbeatable with KD. Or at least the perception.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#31 » by shazam_guy » Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 am

No, they're more fun to watch because Durant can be a ball-stopper. That's okay -- that's his game and what he can bring to a team -- but it's not actually as entertaining as peak Warriors. It's not as swift and seemingly freeform. Not that he brings the level down -- KD passes and plays defense beautifully -- but his face-up offensive style is based around beating his opponent one on one. That slows everything down a bit.

Is it still fun to watch him rise up and drop one of those teardrop jumpers over a hopelessly stretching defender? Damn right. But the always-running Warriors brand of ball is a bit more madcap and improvisational without him.

Whatever Durant decides to do, the Ws will still be an exciting, contending team, and probably still the favorites. If KD stays, well, that will be awesome. If he doesn't, well, that will be awesome too. This team isn't Cleveland or Milwaukee -- losing even an MVP-quality player is not going to cripple them.
shza
Pro Prospect
And1: 879

Post#32 » by shza » Tue May 21, 2019 5:48 am

Phase 3 wrote:
watch1958 wrote:I still don't think they have even really figured out how to fit the offense together with Durant, Curry, Thompson, Green, Iguadola all available.

I'd love to have Alvin Gentry back to tweak the offense and see what it could really be like hitting on all cylinders.

Kinda like Secretariat in the Belmont. Let em run, let's see how god these guys can go.

I agree. As much success as this team has had, they haven’t even fully meshed KD into the system. They’ve been winning on their talent. Maybe it’s not possible to mesh at this point. Maybe KD is determined to play the way he wants. I dunno.

Scary how good they could be if they hit their stride together though...

I actually thought the latter half of this year they were getting there, with KD hitting career-high assists (and mainstreamers complaining that he wasn’t taking enough shots). Amazon top players who are great 1-on-1, KD is clearly the least selfish (and thus best for our style of play). We’d be a way worse team with Kawhi or Harden, believe that.

The comment above is right—we’re a great team without him and a dynasty with him. That was *exactly* what we all thought when we signed him. Why in the world should he get criticized by the home fans for that now? He’s bailed us out a billion times; it’s never bad to have the best one-on-one player in the league in your team (and hey, Steph is my favorite player).
the_dinks
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#33 » by the_dinks » Tue May 21, 2019 6:56 am

shza wrote:I actually thought the latter half of this year they were getting there, with KD hitting career-high assists (and mainstreamers complaining that he wasn’t taking enough shots). Amazon top players who are great 1-on-1, KD is clearly the least selfish (and thus best for our style of play). We’d be a way worse team with Kawhi or Harden, believe that.

Yup. There needs to be some middle ground where Curry has his mojo and KD can do his thing.
Jay 20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Post#34 » by Jay 20 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:04 pm

the_dinks wrote:
shza wrote:I actually thought the latter half of this year they were getting there, with KD hitting career-high assists (and mainstreamers complaining that he wasn’t taking enough shots). Amazon top players who are great 1-on-1, KD is clearly the least selfish (and thus best for our style of play). We’d be a way worse team with Kawhi or Harden, believe that.

Yup. There needs to be some middle ground where Curry has his mojo and KD can do his thing.

Agree with both posts.

I am just fearful that when he comes back he tries to do too much. He will have missed a lot of games and time and will need to work his way back. He won't instantly be back to form.

I fear something along the lines of a Game 4 return and the Warriors are down 2-1 and he tries to play as if he needs to be the savior. That is a lot of pressure to put on yourself in your 1st game back.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,244

Post#35 » by Outside » Tue May 21, 2019 4:00 pm

No, they are not better without Durant. But their ceiling is to integrate Durant into this, not go away from this to accommodate iso Durant. Durant as part of the player movement, ball movement offense is what I thought we would get when he arrived, and we did in spurts, but I hope this is a revelation for both the team and Durant that this is the way to play, and this with Durant is a dynasty for the ages.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#36 » by Mac1958 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:12 pm

likashing wrote:What’s up with these GB ppl coming over and trolling with crap threads?

Born and raised in Hayward. Fan of the W's since the days of Nate Thurmond.

Gosh, I hope that's good enough for you.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Post#37 » by cpower » Tue May 21, 2019 7:24 pm

yes in RS and no in PS
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#38 » by xdrta+ » Tue May 21, 2019 7:36 pm

Mac1958 wrote:
likashing wrote:What’s up with these GB ppl coming over and trolling with crap threads?

It's still a crap thread and ridiculous to even entertain the idea that they're better without Durant.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#39 » by Mac1958 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:20 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Mac1958 wrote:

It's still a crap thread and ridiculous to even entertain the idea that they're better without Durant.

Looks like at least a couple here thought it was interesting enough to respond thoughtfully and like grownups.

Good enough for me.
Dubcon3
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#40 » by Dubcon3 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:06 pm

No. We were fortunate that Portland couldn't adjust to keep their leads. I don't think that will happen with the Bucks or Raptors, especially since the first 2 are on the road.

Return to Golden State Warriors