ImageImageImageImageImage

Kerr getting out coached

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Re: Kerr getting out coached 

Post#61 » by Samurai » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:36 pm

For all the criticism Kerr is getting, remember it was Nurse that called the timeout after Kawhi scored 10 straight points that killed the Raptors momentum!
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 429

Post#62 » by superunknown » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Impuniti wrote:
superunknown wrote:They need to play boogie download when he’s on the floor, it ain’t matter if the team is used to run a different type of offense. You gotta use the resources you have left available at this stage. Everyone knows draybeast gets on the post just to set a screen or initiate the offensive play but never to score or to attempt to score. Cousins can score on one leg from the post and he’s a good passer too. If he starts to get some buckets from the post up and/or generate some good offense with his passing, raptors would have to double team him at some point and this can open up good scenarios for the splash brothers and the cutters. Also, we desperately need a third scorer now kd is out for good. We basically got to the point in which much of the next game(s) depend on boogie’s ability to be effective on one end of the floor. The coaching staff must put him in a position to at least try to be effective.

Problem with Boogie is that when he tries to do too much, it's horrendous to watch. Tries to walk through 2-3 players in the paint that leads into a TO. I like the use of him as a playmaker around the paint.

It's painful to watch Draymond and Iggy offensively though. When the **** is one of these guys going to show up for a single game at least? :banghead:

post split and post switches. no walking through 2-3 players, no 1vs1 from the top of the key or too many step out outside the 3 points line. sometimes some pick and pop for a midrange shot but that's it. he doesn't have to do too much or be creative. just give the team an inside scoring option for some higher percentage shots and some midrange game. the rest is just decent screens for steph and klay.
and yes, a 15-17 points game contribution from at least one of dray and dre would be much appreciated at this point.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,232

Post#63 » by Impuniti » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:05 am

Samurai wrote:For all the criticism Kerr is getting, remember it was Nurse that called the timeout after Kawhi scored 10 straight points that killed the Raptors momentum!

Nurse is on his first season as a head coach in the NBA. Kerr is on his 5th making his 5th final.
daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#64 » by daswunderboy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:29 am

likemycurryhot wrote:
daswunderboy wrote:
daswunderboy wrote:Raps fan, so take my comments with a grain of salt...

While I love what Nurse has been doing, a lot of Kerr's "bad" coaching can be blamed on the personnel. Age and injuries and lack of development of young players has made your team very top heavy, and it's easy for us on our couches to say he's making mistakes, but Kerr just doesn't have the pieces to play both ends in a variety of situations.

Nurse can throw out 7 guys who can score and defend. 8 if Powell is feeling it. 9 if OG was healthy. But 7 for sure. The Warriors even at their best can throw out 3 guys who can score. Just about every other player is a net negative offensive player. Well, Draymond isn't when he has those 3 scorers with him, but right now, he basically is.

Kerr isn't a bad coach. He just has so few options on both sides of the ball. It's easy for a coach to coach well when he has a rotation where everyone can score and defend. A lot harder when 60% of your rotation can only be relied on for one thing and one thing only.

I think yesterday kind of proved this right. With a few extra players, Kerr coached "well". And with a few horrible shots and turnovers, Nurse coached "poorly". It's a player league, so the fans crapping on Kerr are going overboard. He is an amazing coach and you are lucky to have him.

(also he probably doesn't call a timeout when his team is on a 12-2 run just because they are "free"....I love Nurse, but holy hell that was a brain fart).

I agree with your points and would add that Steph, incredible as he is, is also a high variability player because of the difficulty level (distance) of his shots. Some nights he's just going to be off and no amount of "coaching" is going to help that. With the team so hobbled its difficult for Kerr to come up with reasonable lineups that have a high probability of putting points up. Hell, we're struggling to defend and that is one of our other core competencies.

Its natural to blame coaches when thing go wrong but in this case I can't see any other coach doing better.

It's been amazing to watch Steph work this series. I know how tireless he seems, but to see it in a series against my team just amazes me. Some guys, KD for example, look so effortless out there. They can score 30 points and you don't realize it. With Steph, you see every ounce of effort on that court. The amount of effort he uses to get in position for a single basket is breathtaking.

Effort is a skill. Combine that skill with out of this world shooting and it's no wonder he's a sure fire hall of famer. But like you say, the difficulty level of his shots can work against him some nights, and on those nights people will look for blame. The old saying is so true - it's a make or miss league. Your players making shots makes you a good coach (Kerr yesterday) or a bad coach (Nurse yesterday). If the Raptors players hit league average, 36%, the run away with the game and no one notices Nurses bone headed timeout. If GS doesn't shoot a mind-boggling 47% from 3 and it's "The Warriors have no other ideas, Kerr is a one trick pony". It's not really fair to coaches.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#65 » by zhenyasj » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:34 am

Mylie10 wrote:Umm the Warriors had a ton of bad turnivers throughout this whole series including last night.

So not discounting the affect that turnovers had on Toronto, but the Warriors have had much more of an issue with turning the ball over.

And turning the ball over, or missing shots, has nothing to do with coaching. Curry was 5-14 on 3s....not great. If he hits 2 more, and several of his shots were literally right there, then this game isn't a 1 point game. You could say the same for missed Raptor shots, it's basketball, you make or miss. You turn it over or you don't.

Both coaches are fine coaches. Kerr has just had to juggle his lineups more. There have literally been several lineups that haven't seen action much throughout the year if at all in these finals.

He doesn't have many options at this point. It all comes down to Iggy and Dre being able to hit outside shots, which they haven't been able to so far. At the same time, the defensive lineup that could always clamp down and get key stops is struggling.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#66 » by shazam_guy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:22 pm

If you tell me Kerr is getting outcoached, you have already told me you don't know much about what actually goes on in professional sports.

Yeah, it's amazing how all those other opposition playoff coaches have coached Durant, Iguodala, Thompson, Cousins, and Looney into serious injuries, and Kerr has failed to coach his players out of sustaining those narrative-changing injuries.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#67 » by jozef » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Outcoaching is about a comparison. As far as Nick Nurse, his best features were: take a timeout anytime Steph made a 3; rather double than switch on Curry; play simple offense.
Steve Kerr is above any other coach in running more complicated screen-based offense which is superior to any other team in the league. The trouble comes with application this wonderful playbook with different players and opponents.

The very last play of the Finals could be a good hyperbole. With Warriors being down by 1 point he draw a wonderful play for 3-point shot. The play was spectacular and would be very cool if the ball went in but it does not make a sense when you are down by 1. It is great play if you are down by 3. It is 43 percent shot for Curry so there is 57 percent chance that you lose. Going inside for higher percentage shot or a foul would give you from 60 to 99 percent to win or force the overtime.

Steve and his staff ran into incredibly changing environment right in the Finals. The team had great momentum coming off Houston series. They could do it with Kevon Looney at C cause Houston played small lineup with 6-6 Tucker at PF (and also Chris Paul and Eric Gordon are shorter) so Draymon could neutralize Capella.

However Toronto posseses a different challenge. Siakam is great leaper and attacks the basket and paired with Gasol or Ibaka there was no way for Draymon to neutralize it. As oaktownwarriors87, Mylie10, nismolos, and East Bay Sports observed there was huge trouble at C position. Andrew Bogut and Damian Jones, the only two centers with big vertical, sat on the bench almost whole Finals. What a pity cause that types of players are best complements for Draymon Green.

DeMarcus Cousin was so obvious slowed down and it is a miracle he did not re-injured. What was solveable for Kevon Looney in Houston series disappeared in the Finals cause of Gasol/Ibaka, Siakam and Leonard (no Harden at SF anymore) presence. Steph Curry passed brilliant passes off double-teams but centers could not finish the play with thunderous dunks or easy high hook shots or layups. It did look that the defenders were able to recover and block their shots so they often pass the ball out instead of throwing down a dunk. They were so obviously scared for whole series. The whole rhythm was off and it does make the job way harder for perimeter shooters.

Probably coaches did not like that Toronto ran the picknrolls against Bogut but instead of switching the Warriors could handle it the other ways, trapping or switching the screeners, daring Siakam to shoot from outside, simply the way the Raptors did it on the other end when Gasol was the target.

Bogut appeared kind of significantly in 3 games, his summary is about 40 minutes collecting 14 rebounds and 12 points on 6-7 shooting, his plus/minus was zero while his team was -22. I found these minutes as the best Warriors basketball in the Finals besides of Kevin Durant cameo. Looney only 16 rebounds in 106 minutes, Cousins 17-40 shooting.

Simply the tolerance for mistake was very low due to injuries and the coaching staff choosed the wrong way.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Post#68 » by cpower » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:36 pm

His biggest flaw was doubling Kawhi. The moment we stick to that I knew we cant beat them because raptors have the best firepower in the league. Actually we may lose to them with kd klay playing with this plan.

I swear i have never seen so many wide open threes in a nba finals before and it hurt my eyes

Return to Golden State Warriors