ImageImageImageImageImage

Official offseason, summer of 2019

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

wco81
Head Coach
Posts: 7,265
And1: 1,711
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Warriors are facing maxing out two players who won't play next season, may never be as good again.

What a brutal decision, having to consider paying over $70 million to two players who won't play in the 2019-20 season, may not be as good as they were.

I think they need to offer Klay his max deal no matter what. He's a Warrior lifer, has shown utmost loyalty to the team and his teammates.

So they'd be rewarding Klay for sentimental reasons as well as basketball reasons. I wasn't convinced when they extended him for his second contract. Honestly thought Barnes had greater upside and didn't see how they could commit so much money to two perimeter players at the time.

But Klay gave Warriors fans several of the most memorable performances in several of the biggest games in Warriors history -- game 6 against OKC, game 6 against Houston last year, game 6 against Houston this year, most of this series.

He would have played in game 3 and he gave it all in game 6 of the Finals, tried to keep playing.


For KD, it may still be a legit basketball reason to try to retain him. But let's face it, this guy hasn't shown anywhere near the same loyalty. He wasn't happy during a big part of this season. They could offer it to him but he may not accept.

That said, if maxing out both allows the team to get two big injury exceptions, that may be the only way they compete for the playoffs next season.

I know people have advocated tanking but is there some great talent the Warriors are likely to be able to draft? Would it be worth wasting a year of Curry's prime for it?

I don't think the owners, players or even the league want to see the Warriors tank. Unless there's a generational player in the 2020 draft, it's not worth it.
cdubbz
RealGM
Posts: 10,394
And1: 1,623
Joined: May 05, 2005
Location: Oakland
 

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#2 » by cdubbz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Season of 1994?!

I was a kid then but is this similar? 93 Warriors were great ( not as great as 19 Warriors obviously)but 1994 was a down year with injured players and they sucked and ended up with the #1 pick to reboot for 1995 but the reboot failed.

Warriors can play Curry-ball all season and get a lottery pick for 2021.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
User avatar
KevinMcreynolds
General Manager
Posts: 9,496
And1: 1,466
Joined: Feb 07, 2010
Location: San Francisco
     

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#3 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:42 pm

shall we start the official 19-20 tank thread? :eyebrows:

lets have Steph roll his ankle *wink wink*

something like this...



and then BOOM, we got Anthony Edwards :wink:
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
User avatar
KevinMcreynolds
General Manager
Posts: 9,496
And1: 1,466
Joined: Feb 07, 2010
Location: San Francisco
     

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#4 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:43 pm

oh, Sleepy already started it lol
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
xdrta+
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,944
And1: 1,188
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#5 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:00 pm

IMO, people are overly optimistic about thr posible Disabled Player Exceptions. For one thing, they're not that big, the size of the non-tax MLE (projected about $9.2M). For another, NBA league doctors have to agree that it's unlikely the player will be able to play before June 15. Might be possible with KD but seems unlikely for Klay.

On the other hand, there's no downside in applying for the exception. Even if granted a player can come back early without penalty. Unless they care about an extra 50 or 60 million in taxes--I don't, personally, but management might feel differently.
wco81
Head Coach
Posts: 7,265
And1: 1,711
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#6 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Oh they have to pay multiples penalty on the DPEs?

So much for "exceptions."

Yeah a $9 million player may not necessarily be better than the reserves from this year.

They should be but free agents disappoint all the time.

I understand the idea of tanking but Curry is on path to shatter the 3-point records so I don't know about wasting one of his prime years in hopes of getting some hot prospect.

I just did a quick Google and here are the top prospects for 2020, all teens right now:

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/03/2020-nba-draft-prospects

Some of these players may turn out to be great players but it's unlikely any of them will make much impact as teen rookies in 2020-21.
wco81
Head Coach
Posts: 7,265
And1: 1,711
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#7 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:51 pm

I forget the contract status of the reserve players. Looney they will have to pay, for him willing to play through all that pain but he is a very effective rotation player now.

McKinnie is on a cheap contract. He's going to have to show improvement next year to get another deal. He needs to shoot like crazy, maybe hire a coach on defensive fundamentals.

I don't know Cook's status but he just doesn't hit enough big shots to make up for his defensive weaknesses. I'd rather they get a long wing defender who would at least be tougher to beat on defense and then just hope he can hit enough open looks.

Jerebko would probably be willing to play for minimum again. Why not, we're not going anywhere but at least he can hit some of the times.

Jones is under contract, not going to contribute much. Bell is probably gone unless he takes another cheap contract.

Lee and the other 2-way contract guys. I guess if they're giving up on next season, they can play these guys a lot, keep the payroll down as much as possible, especially if they're paying Klay and KD (if he takes the deal) to rehab.

Problem with many of these players is that it's hard to see them improve a lot, even if they get a lot of playing time. They're pretty much set, limited athletically. Maybe become more consistent shooters in the case of McKinnie and Evans.

In the draft, Warriors are only in a position to get projects, players whom you hope develop into effective players or even stars. Problem is, they don't have time to wait for players to develop, not if they want to do something during the rest of Curry's prime.
xdrta+
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,944
And1: 1,188
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#8 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm

wco81 wrote:I forget the contract status of the reserve players. Looney they will have to pay, for him willing to play through all that pain but he is a very effective rotation player now.

McKinnie is on a cheap contract. He's going to have to show improvement next year to get another deal. He needs to shoot like crazy, maybe hire a coach on defensive fundamentals.

I don't know Cook's status but he just doesn't hit enough big shots to make up for his defensive weaknesses. I'd rather they get a long wing defender who would at least be tougher to beat on defense and then just hope he can hit enough open looks.

Jerebko would probably be willing to play for minimum again. Why not, we're not going anywhere but at least he can hit some of the times.

Jones is under contract, not going to contribute much. Bell is probably gone unless he takes another cheap contract.

Lee and the other 2-way contract guys. I guess if they're giving up on next season, they can play these guys a lot, keep the payroll down as much as possible, especially if they're paying Klay and KD (if he takes the deal) to rehab.

Problem with many of these players is that it's hard to see them improve a lot, even if they get a lot of playing time. They're pretty much set, limited athletically. Maybe become more consistent shooters in the case of McKinnie and Evans.

In the draft, Warriors are only in a position to get projects, players whom you hope develop into effective players or even stars. Problem is, they don't have time to wait for players to develop, not if they want to do something during the rest of Curry's prime.


For the back end of the bench, this is how I see it.

McKinnie has a $1.5M non-guaranteed contract next season. I would expect the W's to play him the first few months before deciding whether to fully guarantee it in January.

For Cook, they can offer a QO of about $1.9M to make him a restricted FA. I hope they don't, and just let him go. To me, he has too many flaws and I'd rather take a chance on someone else.

Same with Bell, they can offer QO of about $1.8M -- Even more flaws than Cook, but a bigger upside. I have a feeling they'll keep him around another year. I doubt either one of them will get offers from other teams.

Jerbko is a FA, I can't see them bringing him back, but maybe, I guess.

Derrickson and Lee (their 2-way players) are FAs -- the Warriors could make them RFAs by tendering a QO for a standard 2-way contract, with $50k protected.
Candoni
Freshman
Posts: 84
And1: 92
Joined: Feb 08, 2019

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#9 » by Candoni » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Get ready for a 380 million dollar payroll with the repeat luxury tax penalty.

Light years?
User avatar
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,981
And1: 2,011
Joined: Mar 05, 2011

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#10 » by jamesnamida » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:16 pm

Lol you don’t tank with a healthy steph
Come on now
HiRez
General Manager
Posts: 8,575
And1: 1,736
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#11 » by HiRez » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Candoni wrote:Get ready for a 380 million dollar payroll with the repeat luxury tax penalty.

Light years?

These guys won 5 WC titles and 3 championships in 5 years. Do you know how hard that is? They were light years ahead of the league. The fact that they're now paying the price and coming back to earth was inevitable and doesn't change that. Any fan of any team in the league would kill for what we've had these last 5 years.

No doubt Lacob & Co. have some major challenges to continue/retool but I wouldn't count them out.
User avatar
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,556
And1: 2,497
Joined: Jul 05, 2013
     

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#12 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:24 pm

I think we just try and stay the course because we aren't revamping anything. Klay and KD should be back on 5 year maxes, but retaining Looney is also key since we have no way to replace him.

Let Boogie walk. Just.... no thanks on that.

Then we have the Repeat offender MLE and vet min ring chasers. Emphasis on the ring chasers. We need some David West action and not Jonas Jerekbo.
xdrta+
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,944
And1: 1,188
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#13 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:32 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:I think we just try and stay the course because we aren't revamping anything. Klay and KD should be back on 5 year maxes, but retaining Looney is also key since we have no way to replace him.

Let Boogie walk. Just.... no thanks on that.

Then we have the Repeat offender MLE and vet min ring chasers. Emphasis on the ring chasers. We need some David West action and not Jonas Jerekbo.


Really missed David West. He could have played another year, too. The problem with counting on ring chasers, is that they have to believe they've really got a shot at a ring. That might be a tough sell this summer.
HiRez
General Manager
Posts: 8,575
And1: 1,736
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#14 » by HiRez » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:I think we just try and stay the course because we aren't revamping anything. Klay and KD should be back on 5 year maxes, but retaining Looney is also key since we have no way to replace him.

Let Boogie walk. Just.... no thanks on that.

Then we have the Repeat offender MLE and vet min ring chasers. Emphasis on the ring chasers. We need some David West action and not Jonas Jerekbo.


Really missed David West. He could have played another year, too. The problem with counting on ring chasers, is that they have to believe they've really got a shot at a ring. That might be a tough sell this summer.

That's a great point, more likely they look to Lakers, Raptors, Bucks, Rockets, even Clippers than Warriors next year.
BW32
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,141
And1: 696
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#15 » by BW32 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:48 pm

We are missing like 50 points avg, the next guy is who, Draymond? Signing some dude to the TPMLE isn't gonna do squat best you can do is a 10 point scorer type.

Just split it on 3 year deals from the undrafted/Dleague pool and see if you can find yourself a Covington type situation.
Candoni
Freshman
Posts: 84
And1: 92
Joined: Feb 08, 2019

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#16 » by Candoni » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:51 pm

What ring chasers are out there? There's only about 8 impact veteran ring chasers that I can think of.

The Bucks, rockets and lakers will all be able to offer those ring chasers more money.

Warriors are capped, paying maxes to two hurt guys, and about 200 million more in luxury tax penalties.
xdrta+
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,944
And1: 1,188
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#17 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Candoni wrote:What ring chasers are out there? There's only about 8 impact veteran ring chasers that I can think of.

The Bucks, rockets and lakers will all be able to offer those ring chasers more money.

Warriors are capped, paying maxes to two hurt guys, and about 200 million more in luxury tax penalties.


Luxury tax is for billionaires to worry about. Have to build a 14 man roster no matter what.
GswStorm3
Analyst
Posts: 3,489
And1: 198
Joined: Sep 19, 2007
Location: NorCal
       

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#18 » by GswStorm3 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:00 pm

We'll probably end up with Austin Rivers. We're so depleted he may even start some games.
lolathon234
Junior
Posts: 482
And1: 447
Joined: Jun 17, 2017

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#19 » by lolathon234 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 pm

So with both KD and Klay's injuries, assuming they're resigned, the Warriors should have $18.5 million in cap space as they'll be eligible for 2 Disabled Player Exemptions, each worth the MLE which is projected to be $9,246,000. They can use be used to sign free agents or in a trade as a salary filler
BW32
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,141
And1: 696
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#20 » by BW32 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Anybody well versed in Dleague ball here? Is there any PG or wing worth taking a look at, maybe small ball PF on Jonas' spot too.

Return to Golden State Warriors