Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#161 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:31 pm

gst8 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:bummer...Bonga/Wagner to the Wizards, we should've gotten in on that. come on Myers!

How would that work? Lakers were only sending them to teams that could take them into cap space or, in Wizard's case, a trade exception. They had to shed salary and wouldn't take any back.

Haven't actually looked at the salaries but Livingston comes to mind. They could waive him or better yet he could retire.

Lakers got no salary coming back. That's a lot better than paying Livingston $2mil to retire.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 458

Post#162 » by Swift21 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:36 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
gst8 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
How would that work? Lakers were only sending them to teams that could take them into cap space or, in Wizard's case, a trade exception. They had to shed salary and wouldn't take any back.

Haven't actually looked at the salaries but Livingston comes to mind. They could waive him or better yet he could retire.

Lakers didn't want any salary coming back. That's a lot better than paying Livingston $2mil to retire.

FIFY.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,200

Post#163 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:44 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

send Liv/future 2nd to the Wiz in a 3-way for one of Bonga/Wagner, or the McKinnie contract, etc.

plenty of ways to do this really.

Why would the Wizards want to pay Livingston $2mil to retire and a young player picked in the back half of the 2nd round at a later date? If you're interested in Bonga/Wagner it stands to reason they are too.

And for someone harping on the lack of wings you want to trade McKinnie? He's been an absolute steal in FA. With his length and athleticism he's the sort of guy that gets drafted at the end of the 1st round. People be thinking because a guy can't handle Kawhi Leonard defensively he's worth nothing, crazy.

There is no way we could have gotten our hands on Bonga or Wagner.

because they'd get future 2nds out of it if they're not sold on Bonga/Wagner completely?

and yea, not sold on McKinnie at all, and had we grabbed a wing or two already, this wouldn't even be a discussion. the fact that McKnnie if even a factor here is the entire point.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#164 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
gst8 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Lakers got no salary coming back. That's a lot better than paying Livingston $2mil to retire.

it's called a 3 way trade.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#165 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:16 pm

clyde21 wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
gst8 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. Why would the Wizards want to pay Livingston to retire? For a 2nd rounder or two from us? A perennial playoff team? When you say 3 way trade I assume you mean nothing going back to the Lakers. How do you figure that our 2nd rounder or two has more value than Wagner and Bonga, picked 25 and 39 last season? Maybe we're not going to agree on this but it seems totally illogical to me.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,288

Post#166 » by CS707 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:33 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
gst8 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Perhaps instead of them sending out a pick they get one back. Who knows, just an available asset to work with.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#167 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:37 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. Why would the Wizards want to pay Livingston to retire? For a 2nd rounder or two from us? A perennial playoff team? When you say 3 way trade I assume you mean nothing going back to the Lakers. How do you figure that our 2nd rounder or two has more value than Wagner and Bonga, picked 25 and 39 last season? Maybe we're not going to agree on this but it seems totally illogical to me.

why wouldn't they? teams absorb contracts all the time to for future picks. 2 million is nothing. what are u even talking about? lol
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#168 » by GswStorm3 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 pm

clyde21 wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

why wouldn't they? teams absorb contracts all the time to for future picks. 2 million is nothing. what are u even talking about? lol

When's the last time we've made a trade with the Lakers? They were never going to include us.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#169 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:54 pm

Broken record.

Add ANYONE between 6'5" and 6'9", call them a wing, regardless of talent, and voila, problem solved.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#170 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Because better than absorbing dead money for picks is taking on prospects for nothing! They don't have to absorb any salary, just the what they have to pay the prospects. Hello?!?
The hottest of takes...
clyde21
RealGM

Post#171 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:40 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Broken record.

Add ANYONE between 6'5" and 6'9", call them a wing, regardless of talent, and voila, problem solved.

it's okay to admit that you don't understand roster composition or what wings really are lol
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#172 » by azwfan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:12 am

wco81 wrote:Have to see what kind of multi-year offers this guy gets. If not, maybe a 1-year prove-it deal?

Read on Twitter

Stanley Johnson is another guy who might be in the same situation, though NO has plenty of cap space and may just want to keep a cheap vet around, if he can't get multi-year deals either.

Have to admit, i really liked RHJ in that draft. Thought coaching could improve his shooting mechanics. Was bummed when he was selected before us. Turns out we got Looney and it worked out well for us.

Would still like to bring him in, but not a priority. Maybe a vet minimum deal where he can compete with McKinnie for that roster spot.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,266

Post#173 » by wco81 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:41 pm

Klay gets his max after talking about sitting down with Clippers and Lakers if the Warriors didn’t pay him every last penny.

I got no problems with the deal but he did say he’d take a bit less.

But he’s authored some of the biggest moments in franchise history, both that game 6 at OKC and the way he was playing vs. Raptors until injured.

Ironically, both years the Warriors fall short of a title, though NBA put he thumb on the scale in 2017. But he also had huge games against Houston in the playoffs the last two years.

Guess the Warriors hope that Klay will step up his game if KD leaves, the way he did in the Finals this year. Athletes overcome ACL now but it’s tough to have that injury as he’s hitting 30. He doesn’t rely on his athleticism that much but he was hitting a lot of shots with Kawhi and Siakam in his face. Those tight, quick release shots will require being at least 95% of his former help. And he’ll need to be fully recovered for defense.

He’s so important to the franchise, not just for what he does but also free8ng up Curry from difficult defensive matchups.

He could have jumped ship, especially for his boyhood favorites the Lakers, though they may not have maxed him out.

So he deserves the money for loyalty to the team.

Also seems to be Lacob’s favorite.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#174 » by Samurai » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:17 pm

wco81 wrote:Klay gets his max after talking about sitting down with Clippers and Lakers if the Warriors didn’t pay him every last penny.

I got no problems with the deal but he did say he’d take a bit less.

But he’s authored some of the biggest moments in franchise history, both that game 6 at OKC and the way he was playing vs. Raptors until injured.

Ironically, both years the Warriors fall short of a title, though NBA put he thumb on the scale in 2017. But he also had huge games against Houston in the playoffs the last two years.

Guess the Warriors hope that Klay will step up his game if KD leaves, the way he did in the Finals this year. Athletes overcome ACL now but it’s tough to have that injury as he’s hitting 30. He doesn’t rely on his athleticism that much but he was hitting a lot of shots with Kawhi and Siakam in his face. Those tight, quick release shots will require being at least 95% of his former help. And he’ll need to be fully recovered for defense.

He’s so important to the franchise, not just for what he does but also free8ng up Curry from difficult defensive matchups.

He could have jumped ship, especially for his boyhood favorites the Lakers, though they may not have maxed him out.

So he deserves the money for loyalty to the team.

Also seems to be Lacob’s favorite.

I don't think it would have been wise to try and nickel-and-dime Klay to see if he would take a few dollars less and risk ticking him off. I think the front office has always had the intent of offering the max, particularly since he didn't qualify for the supermax, regardless of the injury. Even with the injury, he should be back by March and players have been able to maintain their level of play after tearing an ACL; the success rate is much better than for those with a ruptured Achilles.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,665

Post#175 » by Coxy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:55 pm

Klay finalising new deal with Warriors, $190m.

Kemba reaching agreement with Celtics, 4 yrs.

Rozier gets renounced, becomes unrestricted FA, awaiting the Suns to throw a gazillion bagillion dollars at him, mad lol's to follow.

Rose talking to Detroit? Lunacy.

Durant and Kawhi talking to Jerry West, praise to the Jebuz this does not happen.

Horford "Liked" a post from Jrue and Zion, let that marinate for a minute.

K Irving will become a Nets, they go from likable giant underdog, to who cares all in 1 motion.

D Russell meeting with the Timberwolves to discuss setting up a decade of expensive, cold, wet mediocrity.

Nicola Mirotic signs for Barcelona. Whatever that means.

Jimmy Butler, not much news yet. Shocking.

I love the silly season.
wco81
RealGM

Post#176 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:36 am

4 years, $117 million for Dlo Russell.

Warriors overpaying, desperate to salvage something out of this deal.

Got to have reason for people to buy tickets at Chase Center.

Russell not likely to be an all-star in the West. Guessing his advanced stats doesn't show him being a big factor in winning.

I guess Klay can take his time rehabbing. It will be about the old and the young gunner being an entertaining backcourt until Klay gets back.

Then what, play him at the 3?

Two bad defending guards. Unless they don't mind paying an average of $29 million for Russell to be a 25-30 MPG backup.

Now Woj just says Warriors have to unload salary, meaning Iggy may have to be moved.

Ugh, the Warriors will no longer be about defense.
wco81
RealGM

Post#177 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:46 am

Tell me that can't be right, the Warriors are sending 3 first-round picks and Iggy to Memphis to fit Russell under the cap?
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#178 » by BW32 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:48 am

wco81 wrote:Tell me that can't be right, the Warriors are sending 3 first-round picks and Iggy to Memphis to fit Russell under the cap?

It's one pick, barely protected ultimately unprotected in 26.
wco81
RealGM

Post#179 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:52 am

OK, that would be more tolerable but now I'm hearing that if the Grizzlies buy Iggy out, he could end up with the Lakers.

Pelinka is his former agent.
wco81
RealGM

Post#180 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:02 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Golden State Warriors