ImageImageImageImageImage

Official offseason, summer of 2019

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,654

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#81 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:02 am

Sleepy51 wrote:In a word, yes. Strategic tanking extended the Spurs dominance to almost two decades. If it’s good enough for them it’s good enough for us.

Enjoy the year without us in the mix. Maybe your fav team can get a participation trophy while we’re chillin?

Pop's first 8 or so years as GM he did not do anything impressive as a GM. Ellie was a good signing.
Then he got Bowen, Ginobili, Parker and Stephen Jackson before the 2nd championship.

The only guys from this first championship that were on the second championship were Robinson, Duncan and Malik Rose. The first champions were not a great team but the NBA contenders were weak that year.

When Robinson and Sean Eliot got injured that left the Spurs with Avery Johnson, Viny Del Negro and 37 year Dominique Wilkins as their best players. Tanking should have been easy but the Spurs only managed to get the 3rd worst record that year. The draft only had 3 good players in the top 10. The good players were Duncan, McGrady and Billups. Billups took a long time to develop. McGrady was drafted out of high school at the 9 spot right after Adonal Foyle at 8.

Spurs needed some lottery luck to get Duncan.

To tank properly Steph and Draymond need to not play. Then the Warriors need lottery luck to beat the other tankers. Duncan was a sure thing a year before his draft. I have not hear anybody in the 2020 draft hyped yet.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,158

Post#82 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:03 am

InWestWeTrust wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
InWestWeTrust wrote:If we resign KD and Klay, Livingston retires

We stand here

Curry/Evans (Kerr wants him at point)
Klay (Out til March/April)
Andre/KD (Out for the year)
Green
DJones

I'd go young at this point

Draft: Buy an extra early second rounder from Sac or Philly unless one of these guys goes undrafted
#28- Darius Bazley
Sac/Philly Pick- Isaiah Roby
#58- Terrance Mann

Free Agency: Re-sign Looney, re-sign Damien Lee, fill out the bench with vets via MLE and minimums

Curry/___/Evans
Lee/Mann/Klay (Out til March/April)
Andre/___/Bazley
Green/___/Roby
Looney/DJones

IR: KD (Out for the year)

Not sure what you mean by IR. Injured Reserve? No such thing, if he has a contract he's on the 15 man roster.

Inactive list* happy now?

No, because "Inactive list" is not a thing in the NBA. It seems like you're saying he won't be on the roster. That's not how it works.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,015

Post#83 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:22 am

xdrta+ wrote:
InWestWeTrust wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Not sure what you mean by IR. Injured Reserve? No such thing, if he has a contract he's on the 15 man roster.

Inactive list* happy now?

No, because "Inactive list" is not a thing in the NBA. It seems like you're saying he won't be on the roster. That's not how it works.

15 roster spots max, 13 minimum and 13 can be active each game. League can give injury exceptions.

So if both KD and Klay sign they will both be part of the 15 man roster and inactive. The league will probably issue an exception to KD allowing a 16th player on the roster if the Warriors choose.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,282

Post#84 » by Sleepy51 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:22 am

There also is such thing as a disabled player exception. If we do sign or extend KD and KD insists he’s out for all of the season and the league doctors concur (Cant imagine they wouldn’t now) for a thorough rest and rehab we would be eligible for that exception I believe it would by 9mil
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,654

Post#85 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:11 am

Frozzy wrote:Not sure who can match up in the West against this Lakers duo. Assuming they put together a decent supporting cast and load manage AD like crazy.

Come on KD, let's take out Lebron again in '21.

LeBron and Davis should not effect our thinking.

LeBron is getting older but will probably still be ball dominant. Davis might end up looking like Bosh and Love. I am not sure that they are a good fit. Davis inside clogs LeBron's driving lane. Davis outside is a lessor version of Davis. Davis may get injured again and LeBron will never be young again even with steroids.

They need shooters. We need shooters. They are competition for us in our search for affordable playable shooters. They may get ring chasers that we would like. Ring chasers might want to pass on the Warriors this year. I can't actually call David West a ring chaser even if he was one.

They should try to keep JaVale. I would not mind getting JaVale back even though Kerr does not think JaVale is as good as I think JaVale is and therefore might not play JaVale. JaVale would redundant with Jones if Jones was playable.

My prediction is that the Lakers do not make it to the NBA finals.
beavis15205
Junior
And1: 57

Post#86 » by beavis15205 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:17 am

My guess is Lakers will be a circus. Davis appears to be a head case.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,569

Post#87 » by HiRez » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:55 am

donkeylips wrote:Pelicans got robbed. Ball sucks, Ingram is a question mark with his health, the 4th pick ain’t much in a 3 player draft, and the two picks will probably be late picks.

I don’t know, you can’t trade consecutive years first round picks and I don’t think the Lakers own any others. So I’m assuming the other 2 picks are for 2021 and 2023. With LeBron getting pretty old and AD’s injuries those could potentially be good picks (or not, no one knows). Personally I would have wanted Kuzma but 3 first rounders is not too bad and of course it also gives the Pels more trade flexibility.

Some #4 picks are Porzingis, Aaron Gordon, Chris Paul, Bosh, Conley, and Westbrook.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#88 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:24 am

I think we should go after Ricky Rubio with the MLE, the Jazz want to try someone else and I am not a lot of teams can provide a starting spot. We need another ball handler to take some load of Steph. Rubio has good court vision and his passing could really open up some shots for us. Not to mention Rubio is probably one of the only ball handlers other than Beverly that can play defense on both guard spots. We could run a dual ball handling system with Curry and Rubio in the backcourt, it showed when Klay was down the lack of playmakers.

If we are granted the disabled player exception I would go after Rudy Gay with it, we need a guy who can put the ball in the hoop. Gay is still a pretty good ISO scorer, competes, and can play both forward spots.

See if McGee wants to come back, we should have kept him. McGee's vertical game with the shot blocking and lob dunks was missed all year. Not mention I think McGee's length gives bigs like Davis and Aldridge trouble.

C McGee
PF Green
SF Gay
SG Curry
PG Rubio

We use Curry in a high volume scoring role. Gay in a secondary iso role. We have Curry, Green, and Rubio who are all great passers and will help the ball movement and getting Gay and McGee easy buckets. Defensively that's a pretty decent unit since McGee, Green, and Rubio are all good on defense and Curry and Gay at least compete.

In the draft we should take the NCAA all-time 3 point leader in Fletcher Magee, he is a JJ Reddick clone. His off ball game and spot up shooting is really impressive and we might as well get the best one available. I think because guys leave early from the college game you have a ton of great athletes but guys skills are seriously lacking. Look at Evans, McCaw, Bell, Jones, even Boucher who are all impressive athletes but really lacking in skills refinement. Even Looney took years just to understand his role switching and screening.

If we squeeze into the playoffs and get Klay back we could probably win the West again. We swept the Blazers who beat the Nuggets and Thunder. Chris Paul is a year older in Houston, and LeBron is a year older in LA.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#89 » by donkeylips » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:25 am

i just saw the protections, and i take back what i said. i didnt know about the unprotected pick swaps.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#90 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:54 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Drygon wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
They won't deal Iguodala and if they tried, he'd probably just retire. He's worth every penny based on his playoff contributions.

Livingston has been battling a knee problem all year and has suffered on the defensive end. He's gonna call it quits imo.

I also don't understand anyone ripping McKinnie.
The guy is cheap....like cheap. He's a great rebounder from the wing spot. Like elite. I believe his shooting will improve. He just needs more consistency. As guys age they tend to find their place. I love him for his cost to value. He should only get better.

Eh.... McKinnie is crap.

There's a reason why Kevin Durant was forced back despite being nowhere near 100% ready....

He is not good enough for a Championship contending team.

This is crazy. McKinnie is a fantastic athlete, coming off his rookie season, that needs to learn how to defend which is the skill that a young player is most likely to learn later than any other skill. If he gets stronger, learns to move his feet and anticipate on defense(which can be learned) and shoots just marginally better from 3(36% this past season), he'll be an extremely valuable forward off the bench.

#McKinnieLove.....Cheapest way to add a guy, and he contributes in the Playoffs. Is he perfect? No...but he got us tons of possession with explosive rebounding, and hustle plays.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#91 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:57 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Frozzy wrote:Not sure who can match up in the West against this Lakers duo. Assuming they put together a decent supporting cast and load manage AD like crazy.

LeBron is getting older but will probably still be ball dominant. Davis might end up looking like Bosh and Love. I am not sure that they are a good fit. Davis inside clogs LeBron's driving lane. Davis outside is a lessor version of Davis. Davis may get injured again and LeBron will never be young again even with steroids.

They need shooters. We need shooters. They are competition for us in our search for affordable playable shooters. They may get ring chasers that we would like. Ring chasers might want to pass on the Warriors this year. I can't actually call David West a ring chaser even if he was one.

They should try to keep JaVale. I would not mind getting JaVale back even though Kerr does not think JaVale is as good as I think JaVale is and therefore might not play JaVale. JaVale would redundant with Jones if Jones was playable.

I think JJ Redick goes to the Lakers. As well as Kemba.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,617

Post#92 » by Coxy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:48 am

Sleepy51 wrote:There also is such thing as a disabled player exception. If we do sign or extend KD and KD insists he’s out for all of the season and the league doctors concur (Cant imagine they wouldn’t now) for a thorough rest and rehab we would be eligible for that exception I believe it would by 9mil

9 Mil, I like it.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#93 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:17 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:you think we'll keep Franco Finn?

If we don’t I’ll consider the off-season a success.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#94 » by jamesnamida » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:48 am

I don’t care who we get as long as they are shooters that can pass. Decent D is a bonus.
Curry thrives with open space and he makes teammates who can shoot/pass much much better than they are.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 406

Post#95 » by superunknown » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:52 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:

this.
he's never been free from injuries. if it happens at the wrong time....
beavis15205
Junior
And1: 57

Post#96 » by beavis15205 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:16 am

Any rumors of Seth Curry going to the Warriors?
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,758

Post#97 » by Upperclass » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:43 am

Durant's injury was unfortunate.. Klays was a turn of fortune for a team who was exhausted and out of road and rope.. my opinion is that KD now has a renewed love for the Warriors and their org environment.. he stays.. Klay obviously stays. Everyone else:

Curry - phantom injury in 2019.. redshirt him
Dray - traded .. this year is when you get value for him.. it drops once you're competing again in 2020
Iggy - traded to a contender
Shaun - packaged with Iggy or retires
DMC - Lakers/Clippers
Looney - resigned
Bogut - gone
Damion Jones - should be jettisoned..useless and so soft
Damion Lee - signed to a small deal
Cook - drive him to the airport
Jerebko - in need of upgrade
Bell - a smaller javale is useless.. gone
Derrickson - his skills arent needed here
McKinnie - upgrade him if possible.. too similar to Bell.. isn't smart or as agile as you'd like in a switchable wing and can't play the 4
Evans - ceiling is 2016 Shaun Livingston but will likely take a long time to arrive there.. I'd look to upgrade

Basically this is the off-season Myers should earn his check. The team should experience huge turnover with young promising prospects or young vets that were underutilized elsewhere.. oh and find a way to draft Carsen Edwards. Seth Curry isn't the answer
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#98 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:58 am

You guys trying to trade Draymond are whack as hell.
Khoee wrote “
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#99 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:38 am

Assuming KD and Boogie leave, I think the MLE needs to be spent on either a 25-28 year old shooter capable of playing 30 productive minutes a game. Among some of the interesting UFA options: Jeremy Lamb, Terrence Ross, and Austin Rivers. Mirotic was mentioned previously, but I don't believe he's ever had a chance to get big bucks in the offseason so I don't imagine the Warriors could afford him. Kent Bazemore has a player option that I haven't heard about him declining, so I don't know if he's viable, but he would be a good fit, albeit he's 30. This Warriors team stands 0 chance of making any meaningful playoff run unless they stock up on shooting so that they never go through a series like the Toronto one again where a team feels totally OK ignoring half of the Warriors' roster on offense.

I will never get over the fact that we had Damion Lee in street clothes during the playoffs when the Warriors ended up needing a playable wing with a good three point shot. It's not like Lee is a great player by any means, but the fact that the Warriors could have won this series without KD and eventually Klay if they got borderline competent minutes from another wing player is insane. It pains me knowing that one of our playoff roster spots was used on Damian Jones. I know that the Warriors picked up his option and didn't want to eat the tax bill for cutting him, but the decision to keep him on the roster when they needed a wing and Jones is unlikely to be in the league in a year or two really hurts.

What I hope is that the Warriors buy a draft pick or two, scour the G-League for high potential training camp invitees, and use their minimum contracts on guys who want to parlay a one or two year with the Warriors into a bigger contract down the line. Ian Clark and Nik Stausksas fit that bill and they are more than capable shooters. Kyle O'Quinn could be a perfectly fine minutes eater at the 5. I'm fine with bringing back Bell and Cook and giving them more minutes to develop via trial by fire. It would be great to see Cook become more aggressive and turn into a mini Patty Mills and Bell could use this year to expand his skills on offense.

You could see something like:

Curry / Cook / Evans
Lee / McKinnie / Stauskas
Ross / Iguodala / McKinnie
Green / Derrickson / Bell
Looney / O'Quinn / Jones
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,106

Post#100 » by cpower » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:11 am

i am open to trade Draymond if you can find better defenders at 3 and 4. Or we pretty much never going to be competitive again because defense matters in PS.

Return to Golden State Warriors