ImageImageImageImageImage

It's gonna be an interesting off season since a lot of free agents should be interested in starting for the dubs.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

It's gonna be an interesting off season since a lot of free agents should be interested in starting for the dubs. 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:24 am

Klay and Durant out for the year or most of it. That means two opening spots for free agents who want to play alongside Curry and Draymond. Boogie might find the prospect of being a driving force for the offense to be attractive as well.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Re: It's gonna be an interesting off season since a lot of free agents should be interested in starting for the dubs. 

Post#2 » by East Bay Sports » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Much much much rather pay Looney than Boogie.

As for the starting spot, sure, they may appeal to some, but they wouldn't be getting starter caliber pay so that's a pretty big drawback.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Re: It's gonna be an interesting off season since a lot of free agents should be interested in starting for the dubs. 

Post#3 » by killmongrel » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:38 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:Much much much rather pay Looney than Boogie.

As for the starting spot, sure, they may appeal to some, but they wouldn't be getting starter caliber pay so that's a pretty big drawback.

It's not about paying one or the other. The Warriors do not have the MLE to spend if Boogie walks. Since the team has Looney's bird rights, they can also pay him what other teams might offer. It's just going to get expensive.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#4 » by xdrta+ » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:44 pm

killmongrel wrote:

It's not about paying one or the other. The Warriors do not have the MLE to spend if Boogie walks. Since the team has Looney's bird rights, they can also pay him what other teams might offer. It's just going to get expensive.

What does the bolded part mean? Why wouldn't they have the MLE?
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#5 » by jamesnamida » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Bucks looking to unload ersan with draft compensation.
Perfect place to trade Livingston since he is retiring?
Ersan would be a decent 4 off the bench.

Or reunite the curry bros.
Curry subs in for curry.
Or curry curry 1/2 and outshoot the other team and play zone D haha
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#7 » by donkeylips » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:03 am

I was thinking of a Livingston for illyasova swap
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#8 » by azwfan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:16 am

donkeylips wrote:I was thinking of a Livingston for illyasova swap

Not what i was looking for, but Illy is an NBA player and we get a 1st out of it. A 1st who we will likely be wishing was someone else a few months into the season, but a 1st none-the-less.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
donkeylips
Veteran

Post#9 » by donkeylips » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:19 am

He’s someone that can knockdown the open 3s
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,902

Post#10 » by whatisacenter » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:34 am

killmongrel wrote:

bolded part is incorrect. The Warriors can resign Boogie for last years salary plus 20% which I believe comes to 6.84 million. They have the MLE whether he stays or if he leaves. Beyond that they will have veteran minimum contracts to offer and possibly and Disabled Player Exception of 9 million for KD if he stays or Klay if his prognosis it to miss the entire season. Of course all that will be hit with the luxury tax but oh well, it's not my money.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#11 » by CalGTR » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:27 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

bolded part is incorrect. The Warriors can resign Boogie for last years salary plus 20% which I believe comes to 6.84 million. They have the MLE whether he stays or if he leaves. Beyond that they will have veteran minimum contracts to offer and possibly and Disabled Player Exception of 9 million for KD if he stays or Klay if his prognosis it to miss the entire season. Of course all that will be hit with the luxury tax but oh well, it's not my money.

Seems like the DPE would be tricky, timing-wise. How does it work? We'd need KD to sign (takes us to what, July 7?), and then some NBA league office committee has to get together to determine whether the W's deserve the exception. I don't know how long that takes, but it seems that free-agency will be all but over by the time the W's know whether they have that money available. I'm sure they'll be talking to various players as possibilities, but without a decision on the DPE it would be tough to get a desired free agent to wait around, seems to me.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#12 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Anybody want Rondo? Doesn't solve shooting, but it gives us a disruptive defender to cover opposing best ballhandlers and he can still be the ballhandler when Curry is operating off ball and/or resting. Kind of a poor man's Iguodala?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#13 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:18 pm

The Bucks are looking to shed Ersan's $7M salary. The Warriors would have to guarantee Livingston's full $7.6M salary to make the trade, and the Bucks are no better off. They'll be looking to unload Ersan and not take any salary back.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#14 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:Anybody want Rondo? Doesn't solve shooting, but it gives us a disruptive defender to cover opposing best ballhandlers and he can still be the ballhandler when Curry is operating off ball and/or resting. Kind of a poor man's Iguodala?

I am a Rondo fan but not for the Warriors. For a normal team I value Rondo's defense and playmaking and I don't mind Rondo being ball dominant. The Warriors system requires no ball dominance. If Rondo has the ball you are wasting the passing ability of Draymond and Iguodala.

I do think Steph can move to off guard defensively but I want defense and shooting rather than deference and passing from the guy playing point guard with Steph . Pairs of Draymond and Curry or Iguodala and Curry or Iguodala and Draymond takes care of the passing.

If Draymond and Iguodala are on the floor together the other guys better be shooters.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#15 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:26 pm

CalGTR wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Seems like the DPE would be tricky, timing-wise. How does it work? We'd need KD to sign (takes us to what, July 7?), and then some NBA league office committee has to get together to determine whether the W's deserve the exception. I don't know how long that takes, but it seems that free-agency will be all but over by the time the W's know whether they have that money available. I'm sure they'll be talking to various players as possibilities, but without a decision on the DPE it would be tough to get a desired free agent to wait around, seems to me.

The Warriors can apply for a DPE anytime between July 1 and Jan 15, and it expires on March 10. There's not really any downside to getting it, for instance, you would only pay tax if you use it. No reason not to apply for it and hang onto to it.

Edit: Of course, it goes without saying that they have to have Durant under contract before applying.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#16 » by East Bay Sports » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:Anybody want Rondo? Doesn't solve shooting, but it gives us a disruptive defender to cover opposing best ballhandlers and he can still be the ballhandler when Curry is operating off ball and/or resting. Kind of a poor man's Iguodala?

No.

I'd take Pat Bev but **** Rondo
donkeylips
Veteran

Post#17 » by donkeylips » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:21 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

The Bucks are looking to shed Ersan's $7M salary. The Warriors would have to guarantee Livingston's full $7.6M salary to make the trade, and the Bucks are no better off. They'll be looking to unload Ersan and not take any salary back.

If he retires does it still count towards their cap?
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#18 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 pm

donkeylips wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

If he retires does it still count towards their cap?

If a player retires while under contract any money already paid to the player counts towards team salary.

Edit: On retirement--If both the player and team agree, they might negotiate and he can be placed on a team's Voluntarily Retired List. Similar to a buyout, but he can't sign with another team. Any money they still owe him goes on team salary. They could also just waive and stretch his salary, but if they were going to do that, they could do it with Ersan.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#19 » by DAWill1128 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:13 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:

I am a Rondo fan but not for the Warriors. For a normal team I value Rondo's defense and playmaking and I don't mind Rondo being ball dominant. The Warriors system requires no ball dominance. If Rondo has the ball you are wasting the passing ability of Draymond and Iguodala.

I do think Steph can move to off guard defensively but I want defense and shooting rather than deference and passing from the guy playing point guard with Steph . Pairs of Draymond and Curry or Iguodala and Curry or Iguodala and Draymond takes care of the passing.

If Draymond and Iguodala are on the floor together the other guys better be shooters.

I was suggesting Rubio as opposed to Rondo in another thread, the Jazz want to move on and we are one of the only places with a starting position. Rubio is a bigger point guard who is pretty good on defense. I think Rubio can take the opposing teams better guard, and this way we always have Steph or Rubio on the floor to run the offense. I think Steph, Rubio, and Draymond could make for a fun passing team and open up easy buckets for the other guys on the floor. Not to mention I think Rubio is a better shooter than Rondo and puts the team first. Worst case scenario he fills in Livingstons role.

If Klay comes back this season even sliding him to small forward on defense might be a good idea till he gets his legs back. Allow Andre to go back to the 6th man role. I would bet on a team with Looney, Dray, Klay, Steph, and Rubio starting 5 winning the West.
donkeylips
Veteran

Post#20 » by donkeylips » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:19 am

With many teams with cap space, do you think he would take the mle, and with the warriors over other teams?

Return to Golden State Warriors