ImageImageImageImageImage

Start the Tank

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

zhenyasj
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Start the Tank 

Post#1 » by zhenyasj » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:53 pm

Since we will not be competing for a championship next year, instead of running Steph into the ground trying to make the playoffs, we should pull a San Antonio and try to tank for a lotto pick before running it back in 2 years. Steph and Dray can get some rest, Klay and KD (hopefully) can recover, and we'll gain a much needed rotation player since the cap situation prevents us from getting anyone of quality.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: Start the Tank 

Post#2 » by FNQ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:21 pm

:lol:

no
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#3 » by Samurai » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:53 pm

zhenyasj wrote:Since we will not be competing for a championship next year, instead of running Steph into the ground trying to make the playoffs, we should pull a San Antonio and try to tank for a lotto pick before running it back in 2 years. Steph and Dray can get some rest, Klay and KD (hopefully) can recover, and we'll gain a much needed rotation player since the cap situation prevents us from getting anyone of quality.

I think tanking makes sense; sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. But I’m sure Lacob doesn’t want to charge people a mortgage payment for a single ticket in the new Chase Center to watch a lottery team with Curry and Green sitting out most games for “load management”. And I can’t imagine Green would be thrilled doing that while looking for a big FA payday.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#4 » by East Bay Sports » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Loser defeatist attitude.

OK anyone with this idea, you are now taxed with the process of explaining to and convincing Steph and Dray this is a good idea. Annnnnd go!

90% of the league would give it all up for Steph and Dray. but we have spoiled fans saying we should shut it down. foh. Let them see what they can do. I bet they get us a 5 seed no sweat. Then Klay could be back from an ACL in 9 months.

Any loser ass fan wanting to tank has to line up to be called a loser by me first.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by zhenyasj » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:12 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:Loser defeatist attitude.

OK anyone with this idea, you are now taxed with the process of explaining to and convincing Steph and Dray this is a good idea. Annnnnd go!

90% of the league would give it all up for Steph and Dray. but we have spoiled fans saying we should shut it down. foh. Let them see what they can do. I bet they get us a 5 seed no sweat. Then Klay could be back from an ACL in 9 months.

Any loser ass fan wanting to tank has to line up to be called a loser by me first.

This is called long term thinking, unless making playoffs and watching Steph go for 30 every night is good enough. I'd rather compete for championships while we can.

Facts:
- Players are breaking down partly to all the games played during the last 5 years.
- Warriors don't have the depth necessary to compete long term and don't have cap flexibility to acquire it

Would you rather run Steph into the ground for the 7th seed or regroup and compete for a championship the year after. This is exactly what Spurs did when they lucked out into Duncan.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by zhenyasj » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:13 pm

Samurai wrote:
zhenyasj wrote:Since we will not be competing for a championship next year, instead of running Steph into the ground trying to make the playoffs, we should pull a San Antonio and try to tank for a lotto pick before running it back in 2 years. Steph and Dray can get some rest, Klay and KD (hopefully) can recover, and we'll gain a much needed rotation player since the cap situation prevents us from getting anyone of quality.

I think tanking makes sense; sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. But I’m sure Lacob doesn’t want to charge people a mortgage payment for a single ticket in the new Chase Center to watch a lottery team with Curry and Green sitting out most games for “load management”. And I can’t imagine Green would be thrilled doing that while looking for a big FA payday.

Tickets have already been sold. You can sit Steph and Dray on the road if you have to. Do what Raptors did with Kawhi.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by East Bay Sports » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:29 pm

zhenyasj wrote:

This is called long term thinking, unless making playoffs and watching Steph go for 30 every night is good enough. I'd rather compete for championships while we can.

Facts:
- Players are breaking down partly to all the games played during the last 5 years.
- Warriors don't have the depth necessary to compete long term and don't have cap flexibility to acquire it

Would you rather run Steph into the ground for the 7th seed or regroup and compete for a championship the year after. This is exactly what Spurs did when they lucked out into Duncan.

Would be great in a video game. This is real life. Again, tell Steph and Dray you are tanking next year. I'm sure they'd **** love it.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by zhenyasj » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:32 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:
zhenyasj wrote:

Facts:

Would be great in a video game. This is real life. Again, tell Steph and Dray you are tanking next year. I'm sure they'd **** love it.

Video game? Raptors managed Kawhi's time last year; why can't Warriors do the same. As I mentioned before, Spurs held out Robinson so that they could get Duncan. I'm pretty sure that worked out for them.
Steph and Dray are winners and want to win. I'm sure they'll understand, especially if Dray get assurances that he'll be taken care of.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by East Bay Sports » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:38 pm

zhenyasj wrote:
East Bay Sports wrote:
zhenyasj wrote:This is called long term thinking, unless making playoffs and watching Steph go for 30 every night is good enough. I'd rather compete for championships while we can.

Facts:

Video game? Raptors managed Kawhi's time last year; why can't Warriors do the same. As I mentioned before, Spurs held out Robinson so that they could get Duncan. I'm pretty sure that worked out for them.
Steph and Dray are winners and want to win. I'm sure they'll understand, especially if Dray get assurances that he'll be taken care of.

Its all fiction. Its never happening.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by zhenyasj » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:49 pm

FNQ wrote::lol:

no

Hey man, play along with me here. :D
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#11 » by Kuya » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:11 pm

I think we can get around the 4th to 6th seed to be honest.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#12 » by superunknown » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:44 pm

most of fans need to take a step back for a second and look at the bigger picture. but, more importantly, FO needs to do that.
the ultimate goal is to win championships, not to entertain.
this team, even if both klay and kd resign, has no depth and cap flexibility. and, big difference with the spurs of the last two decades, the FO and CS has not been (so far) that good to: a) draft decent players with late picks b) develop undrafted and littleknown players into good rotation players. and this is a huge difference.
the warriors - apart from dray - haven't proved to be able to pick the ginobili (57th pick), joseph (29th), dejounte murray (29th), derrick white (29th), kyle anderson (30th) of this world. nor to develop players like leonard (15th pick), patty mills (55th pick) and jonathon simmons (undrafted).
how long can you realistically continue to make a run without depth and cap flexibility? and can you really afford steph+klay+KD+dray all on max contracts moving forward? assuming klay and kd resign in a couple of weeks? again, you will have no depth and cap flexibility (and no early draft picks) to improve the team apart the MLE.
you gotta give up something along the way and even take a step back if necessary (and the severe injuries of klay and kd change the dynamics going into next year).
do we need to tank? well, unless the FO manages somehow somewhere to draft a decent player with the 28th pick, bring boogie back and use the MLE and DPE (if KD stays and is ruled-out for the season) to sign 2 good players and no scrub, either we tank or we make a trade. there aren't so many other options.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#13 » by BW32 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 pm

I don't believe in planning for failure but I'm also not making short sighted moves for just next year, we should focus every move on 20-21 if that team happens to make the playoffs then great, if not it's whatever.

An example of this would be trading Andre if you can get a first.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#14 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Do the Warriors get any Salary cap relief because of the Klay and Durant injuries?

Also, if Warriors DO decide to tank...do they keep Draymond? Seems like the right thing to do is to move Draymond off the books to ensure the tank....then Warriors don't face the re-sign quandary next year.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#15 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:16 am

When I think about the sound of starting a tank, it can sound gutteral. That's kind of how I feel about the injuries and aftermath.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
xfactor
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,592

Post#16 » by xfactor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:50 am

The tank turned out nicely for a quality organization named the Spurs. I don't see a problem with that tactical move. Thinking longer term.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#17 » by killmongrel » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:30 am

Do the Warriors actually have to proactively do a tank? I mean, unless the Warriors have a great off season, who exactly is going to help Curry on the offensive end. Unless we are able to get lucky with some FAs who want the opportunity to play with Curry, Green, Iguodala, and open the Chase center as a starter for the Warriors, then the team might not actually have a choice when it comes to playing badly. I don't think they're thinking about tanking, but I don't know why some here are so opposed to the idea. This season could be used as a really productive way to evaluate everything on how to proceed with the second half of the dynasty.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#18 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:14 am

xfactor wrote:The tank turned out nicely for a quality organization named the Spurs. I don't see a problem with that tactical move. Thinking longer term.

You guarantee me Tim Duncan, and I'm fully down for it.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#19 » by InWestWeTrust » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:12 am

Could Draymond net 3-6 this draft or is that insane?

If we tank we really need to tank. Ideally:

I’d let KD go, resign Klay, Draymond/Jones/#58 for #6/#32

draft DeAndre Hunter #6 and Terrence Mann #32

resign Lee, sign UDFA Isaiah Roby, Bring back Bell for QO, Bring back Mckinnie, Sign Jamychel Green for MLE, Sign Tolliver + McGee vet min

Curry/Lee/Hunter/J.Green/McGee
Evans/McKinnie/Andre/Tolly/Bell
____/Mann/____/____/____
Klay(out)

Fill the holes with whatever. Soft tank for Wiseman

Go into 2020 with

Curry($43mil)/Klay($34mil?)
Hunter($5mil?)/Wiseman($6mil?)
Evans($2mil)/Mann($2mil?)
renounce the rest
2020 salary cap projected @ $118 million

If I’m anywhere close we’d be at $92 million

$26 million available to sign *drum roll plz*

Montrezl Harrell!

Curry/Klay/Hunter/Harrell/Wiseman

I just wasted time but it was fun
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#20 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:33 am

no to the tank, but I also dont want to over exert Steph just to sneak into the POs either...sit him on B2Bs and during long road trips and let the chips fall where they may...if were in striking distance of the POs and Klay can return, then go for it, if not plan for the draft

Return to Golden State Warriors