ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,088

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#301 » by The-Power » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:Hope Lacob holds him accountable for the past two drafts and realizes he hasn’t done much, unless it lands in his lap.

With that you mean Evans? Because two years ago we got Bell, to which your response was:
Left*My*Heart wrote:Great pick.

Generally speaking, all the judgements are way too premature with the information asymmetry. People were excited about Bell and McCaw while opposing fans complained about the rich getting richer and now people don't hold these picks in high regard any longer. Looney was written off by many after his first year and now everybody wants him back. The draft at that point is a crapshoot, and there are so many contingencies that it'll take a while to see how the draft choice worked out.

Sure, you can question strategies such as taking a player projected to be available in the second first with your first round pick. But again, we do not have the same information available to us – whether other teams wanted the player, whether he was so impressive during workouts or considered such a great fit that they did not want to take the risk. As to which players will work out in that 25-40 draft range: we'll see. Way too early to judge either way. To call for ‘accountability’ for Myers because of the draft choices seems knee-jerky.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#302 » by jamesnamida » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Sound to me like the dubs had guys they wanted going in and didn’t have the balls to adjust when better guys became available.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#303 » by Swift21 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I like all 3 players, but if I had it to do over I'd take Porter or Edwards.

That said, I think Poole will have a chance to be good for the Warriors.

I wasn't that high on Edwards. His playmaking was underwhelming the past two seasons and he's very limited defensively.
Bizzy_Bee
Junior
And1: 542

Post#304 » by Bizzy_Bee » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:11 pm

HiRez wrote:Outside of Paschall, this draft is a total disaster. We used 2 out of 3 picks on guys who most likely weren't even going to be drafted, in a draft where a lot of good talent fell considerably.

But you know...hope for the best of course...

Hahaha, this pity party is out of control. Which of these guys were going undrafted?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#305 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:25 pm

I think one strategy I would have liked to have seen them do is trade multiple picks, which are expected to be in the late 20s, for a top 10 pick.

This core of stars don't have time to wait on projects to contribute. They have to be able to contribute minutes sooner than later.

But a top 10 pick would also have a bigger cap hit and it may be that they'd rather fill the roster with several of these low picks than a top 10 pick who might be a reliable rotation player, not requiring long development, long stints in the G League, etc.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#306 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:16 pm

Phase 3 wrote:Bring back Jerry West.

Jerry West did a good job with Klay and Dray, but all the other picks during his regime were pretty meh. HB is a role player on a good team and a solid starter on a bad team, you want more than that from the 7th pick. Festus never amounted to anything. Looney worked out, but it took 3 years before he contributed anything. Damian Jones is a bust.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#307 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Swift21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:I like all 3 players, but if I had it to do over I'd take Porter or Edwards.

That said, I think Poole will have a chance to be good for the Warriors.

I wasn't that high on Edwards. His playmaking was underwhelming the past two seasons and he's very limited defensively.

I liked Edwards from a Barbosa point of view. Bring a guy in to go a million miles an hour, draw fouls and score quick and then get subbed back out.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#308 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:04 pm

wco81 wrote:I think one strategy I would have liked to have seen them do is trade multiple picks, which are expected to be in the late 20s, for a top 10 pick.

This core of stars don't have time to wait on projects to contribute. They have to be able to contribute minutes sooner than later.

But a top 10 pick would also have a bigger cap hit and it may be that they'd rather fill the roster with several of these low picks than a top 10 pick who might be a reliable rotation player, not requiring long development, long stints in the G League, etc.

I don't think they have anything near enough assets to get a top 10 pick.

Maybe Curry and Green will be "injured" and they'll get a top 10 pick naturally next year.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#309 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:07 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:

Jerry West did a good job with Klay and Dray, but all the other picks during his regime were pretty meh. HB is a role player on a good team and a solid starter on a bad team, you want more than that from the 7th pick. Festus never amounted to anything. Looney worked out, but it took 3 years before he contributed anything. Damian Jones is a bust.

Festus' injuries were what did him in, but he was really looking good before the wheels fell off.

Jones is not a bust yet.

The reality is that outside of the top 10 picks in the NBA draft ANY level of play is almost a success. Only top 10 picks can really "bust" since there are such low expectations after that. It's all just hope.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#310 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:51 pm

The-Power wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:Hope Lacob holds him accountable for the past two drafts and realizes he hasn’t done much, unless it lands in his lap.

With that you mean Evans? Because two years ago we got Bell, to which your response was:
Left*My*Heart wrote:Great pick.

Generally speaking, all the judgements are way too premature with the information asymmetry. People were excited about Bell and McCaw while opposing fans complained about the rich getting richer and now people don't hold these picks in high regard any longer. Looney was written off by many after his first year and now everybody wants him back. The draft at that point is a crapshoot, and there are so many contingencies that it'll take a while to see how the draft choice worked out.

Sure, you can question strategies such as taking a player projected to be available in the second first with your first round pick. But again, we do not have the same information available to us – whether other teams wanted the player, whether he was so impressive during workouts or considered such a great fit that they did not want to take the risk. As to which players will work out in that 25-40 draft range: we'll see. Way too early to judge either way. To call for ‘accountability’ for Myers because of the draft choices seems knee-jerky.

I was referring to this draft and last seasons. Myers still had scouting and input from the guys who left for the Hawks in 2017. My criticism of Myers goes beyond his drafting. The Warriors would not have won a single championship had Myers had his way. He would have gutted the team for Kevin Love. I’m afraid now he has too much influence on decisions and very few to keep him in check.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#311 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:01 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:

Back in that day, decisions were made by committee. Barnes was Myers choice. West’s guys were already off the board. Lacob wanted Drummond, but got no support.

Jones and Looney were high value guys who would have been taken much earlier if they weren’t banged up. Looney would have been a lottery pick.

Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#312 » by Warriors Analyst » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:17 am

Left*My*Heart wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:

Back in that day, decisions were made by committee. Barnes was Myers choice. West’s guys were already off the board. Lacob wanted Drummond, but got no support.

Jones and Looney were high value guys who would have been taken much earlier if they weren’t banged up. Looney would have been a lottery pick.

I was at the game in 2012 when Brandon Rush went down with his ACL tear. It was Golden State of Mind's fan appreciation night and I snagged a pair of reasonably priced tickets to watch the game with my dad and one of the perks was a post game Q+A with Jerry West. Someone asked West about what would happen after Rush got hurt and West gave a very unenthusiastic answer about Barnes and basically insinuated that he wasn't really ready for big minutes but may have to do it anyway. Barnes definitely didn't have the skill set that West seems to covet. There was also an article written a few years back about Barnes hitting up West to train with him and pick his brain over the offseason. West berated Barnes about how he shot layups like an actual shot, rather than going for finger rolls, which I find hilarious considering how many layups/floaters Barnes bricked in his day.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#313 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:41 am

HB had knuckleball layups :noway:

Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#314 » by Ganji » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:38 am

I just checked 2020 mock draft, and our guy is projected to go to Warriors. That would be something.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft

Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#315 » by Ganji » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 pm

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#316 » by Mylie10 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:13 pm

What a horrible image
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,147

Post#317 » by TB » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:53 pm

Keldon Johnson, picked right after Poole, is starting for the Spurs and getting 14 a game after 3 games...

Went back and looked at my top available when warriors picked, and it was:

Paschall
Johnson
THT
Nowell
Admiral
Dort

So if im looking at the draft board correctly, I would have drafted:
Paschall at 28 (as much as i'd like to say I would have taken Johnson, I had Paschall higher. Solid but maybe not a great pick)
THT at 41 (assuming we dont trade up to get Smiley lol)
Dort at 58 (assuming we dont trade it away)

Apparently I like short stocky dudes.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,258

Post#318 » by Onus » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:59 pm

TB wrote:Keldon Johnson, picked right after Poole, is starting for the Spurs and getting 14 a game after 3 games...

Paschall
Johnson
THT
Nowell
Admiral
Dort

Paschall at 28 (as much as i'd like to say I would have taken Johnson, I had Paschall higher. Solid but maybe not a great pick)

Your draft would've been much better than what happened
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#319 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:11 am

it was fun to read the lead up to our pick again, Scoots had things pegged pretty well

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#320 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 am

Onus wrote:
TB wrote:Keldon Johnson, picked right after Poole, is starting for the Spurs and getting 14 a game after 3 games...

Paschall
Johnson
THT
Nowell
Admiral
Dort

Your draft would've been much better than what happened

Or there's the possibility that coaching staffs and player development personnel on those other teams got more out of their drafted players than the Warriors development staff has.

Return to Golden State Warriors