ImageImageImageImageImage

DEDRIC LAWSON: Let's dive in for a second

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

DEDRIC LAWSON: Let's dive in for a second 

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:03 pm

So the Warriors are bringing Dedric Lawson to Summer League, but I don't think there's a contract involved as of yet.

Solid friggen player for Kansas. Was amonst the tops in college for double doubles I believe.

Wingspan is 7' 2.5". Uses it well to call for the ball in the post, and also to box out on rebounds.

Wouldn't call him a facilitator, but makes smart passes, and has a really good feel for the game. Under control.

19.4 points, 10.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.1 blocks.

51% fg, 39% 3 point, 82% from the line (Dang)

Says he's 6'9", but he looked taller to me. Need some combine stats if there are any.

235 pounds. They list Paschall at 250 pounds. Not so sure about either of these guys tbh.

Was a leader on the Kansas team.

Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: DEDRIC LAWSON: Let's dive in for a second 

Post#2 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Lawson was skilled, but earthbound ... he measured as the highest fat level at the combine. Dude needs to get in shape. Who knows what will happen to his game if he does it, but the fact that he couldn't be bothered for the combine is somewhat telling of where he is mentally.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:23 am

he's a a non-athlete, one of the worst at the combine, but has that old man game around the rim, really knows how to finish a bucket, really good footwork and was a double-double machine at Kansas...even started hitting some 3s at the end of the year

but...he's a non-factor defensively, passing is very meh...he's essentially a poor man's version of Jahlil Okafor, and Okafor is a 3rd unit at best player.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#4 » by Warriorfan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:04 pm

If he can get the motivation to get in shape because every team in the NBA passed on him multiple times I think he can have a long career as a rotation player.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#5 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:44 pm

He got a lot or work done for a mediocre athlete. I liked his leadership too.

If he can get stronger I think he'd be fine. For an undrafted dude he has a lot of skills that fit our style of play.

To me, Bell is on the bubble.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#6 » by watch1958 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:34 pm

A poor man's Greg Monroe.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#7 » by azwfan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Warriorfan wrote:If he can get the motivation to get in shape because every team in the NBA passed on him multiple times I think he can have a long career as a rotation player.

Thing is i wouldn't expect someone who is trying to make an NBA team and isn't in shape to all of a sudden get motivated to get in shape. I feel like that motivation should have hit already. Not saying it can't happen, but i would consider it a long shot. I agree that he did look skilled enough to be an NBA player though.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:13 pm

He couldn't get in shape for the combine when he was looking to possibly get millions. I don't know that it will suddenly turn around now. That said, he wouldn't be the first to come in out of shape and turn it around. It's hard to eat right and exercise right while trying to go to classes and actually get a degree, so maybe that's the difference. Draymond still struggles with it, so at least he'll have someone to do it with if he makes it that far.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#9 » by Warriorfan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:15 pm

azwfan wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:If he can get the motivation to get in shape because every team in the NBA passed on him multiple times I think he can have a long career as a rotation player.

Thing is i wouldn't expect someone who is trying to make an NBA team and isn't in shape to all of a sudden get motivated to get in shape. I feel like that motivation should have hit already. Not saying it can't happen, but i would consider it a long shot. I agree that he did look skilled enough to be an NBA player though.

He may have been bigger due to his role on his team. He will have Green as an example
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:40 am

being in shape or not is gonna fix his problem, it's not like he couldn't play a lot of minutes at Kansas...his problem is that he's a complete non-athlete, getting in better shape isn't gonna fix that

also another problem, he's primarily an inside-the-paint big without any post defense/rim protection and no playmaking skill set, hard see him getting minutes at any point barring a big big turnaround
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,663

Post#11 » by Coxy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:59 am

Scoots1994 wrote: ... he measured as the highest fat level at the combine.

:lol:

I don't know why this made me laugh, but it did.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:57 am

clyde21 wrote:being in shape or not is gonna fix his problem, it's not like he couldn't play a lot of minutes at Kansas...his problem is that he's a complete non-athlete, getting in better shape isn't gonna fix that

also another problem, he's primarily an inside-the-paint big without any post defense/rim protection and no playmaking skill set, hard see him getting minutes at any point barring a big big turnaround

It won't fix his problem, but it will minimize it. But I don't think he's too likely to suddenly turn around.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 am

In his transfer year, Dedric transformed his body. He'd weighed as much as 248 pounds at Memphis, but he trimmed down to 230 by cutting fried foods and sugary drinks (Chick-fil-A and lemonade were the hardest to quit) and committing to a rigorous training program. He battled against big men Azubuike and Mitch Lightfoot in practice all year, but he also stayed behind in the gym to steady his three-point stroke.

As injuries, inquiries and inexperience eroded the Jayhawks rotation, the coaches began pushing Lawson out to the perimeter. The move helped stop defenses from trapping him in the post, and it allowed Lawson to show off his downhill driving ability, ball-handling skills and point-guard-esque vision. "Passing may be the best thing he does," Howard said. "He's got the vision of a point guard. When you talk about him in the NBA, I think he'll have a chance to make it and play for a long time because of his skill level. He's showing that now."
Khoee wrote “
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#14 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:12 am

He's slow, but he has big hands and long arms.

Guys like him sometimes get in shape pick up a half a step when they get the chance to live the NBA lifestyle.

I wanted him in the second round, so I'm happy with this.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#15 » by Quazza » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:58 am

people out here really naming their kids "Dedric " .....

"nawww, this is little Dedric. Look at him! Wanna hold him ? "

No. I absolutely do not want to
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,251

Post#16 » by Outside » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:39 pm

watch1958 wrote:A poor man's Greg Monroe.

Oof. How poor does the scale go?
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Other than jumping out of the gym, I see some very useful tools.

The odds are against him based on the numbers at pf, but I'm wanting to see how he fairs.

Santa Cruz sounds like a likely spot for him, and I'm cool with that. Need dudes in the pipeline.
Khoee wrote “
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Other than jumping out of the gym, I see some very useful tools.

The odds are against him based on the numbers at pf, but I'm wanting to see how he fairs.

Santa Cruz sounds like a likely spot for him, and I'm cool with that. Need dudes in the pipeline.

If he can hit 35% from 3 in SL with some volume he will get an offer to stay a pro at least.

Return to Golden State Warriors