ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors Sign Ky Bowman (I don't know either)

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Re: Warriors Sign Ky Bowman (I don't know either) 

Post#21 » by Upperclass » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:36 am

He's kind of a really small approximation of Steph Curry.. similar characteristics in play styles and athleticism.. his shot has improved.. he'll make the roster and contribute imo
BayArea
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#22 » by BayArea » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:56 am

Evans is garbage, we move forward..
Before getting injured in Game 5 of the 2019 Western Conference semifinals, Durant averaged 34.2 points on 51.3% shooting (41.6% from 3-point range), 4.9 assists and 5.2 rebounds. :banghead:
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#23 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Upperclass wrote:He's kind of a really small approximation of Steph Curry.. similar characteristics in play styles and athleticism.. his shot has improved.. he'll make the roster and contribute imo

Ky is smaller and WAY more explosive than Steph. I hope he makes it, he's going to get a shot to prove he belongs.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:41 pm

BayArea wrote:Evans is garbage, we move forward..

How do you know? He's played just 200 minutes in the NBA, and his per minute numbers are not all that far from Shaun Livingston's. Way too early to give up on him, let alone declare him "garbage".
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Post#25 » by Outside » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:I bet he's better than Quinn Cook.

We don't know that. You don't know how a player will perform on the big NBA stage until they actually get there. Even then, the playoffs are another level, and even if a player does well in the regular season, they may balk in the postseason.

Danuel House is an example. In three seasons, he's been signed by several teams, played some NBA games, and bounced around the G-league. The Warriors signed him at one point. He wound up with the Rockets last season and played pretty well in the regular season, shooting 41.6% on threes. But in the postseason, he was "deer in the headlights." He was in the rotation through game 1 against the Warriors, 20-25 minutes per game, but his numbers dropped drastically, and by game 2 against the Warriors, he was unplayable. He played five minutes in that game and didn't play again in the series.

Maybe that experience is what he needed and next time he'll be ready for the playoffs, but you just don't know until you put him out there. Guys like House and Bowman, you don't know whether they can cut it until you throw them out there. Most can't, a few do. You roll the dice. If it works out, you roll them again. And then you roll the dice again in the playoffs.

Cook may not be everything we'd like him to be, but he didn't look intimidated by the playoffs stage, and he was a key contributor in multiple games. When his shot isn't falling, he's a net negative, but he can help when his shots go in. That's the way it is with end of the bench guys.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#26 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:15 pm

Outside wrote:Cook may not be everything we'd like him to be, but he didn't look intimidated by the playoffs stage, and he was a key contributor in multiple games. When his shot isn't falling, he's a net negative, but he can help when his shots go in. That's the way it is with end of the bench guys.

What I like Bowman for over Cook is his ability to get into the lane and finish at the bucket. When Cook receives a kickout or crosscourt pass beyond the 3pt line, if he isn't wide open he dribbles by the closeout but must then pass the ball on because he's not a threat to score in the key or at the bucket. That characterizes everyone off our bench. We don't have a single guy with the ball handling and finishing to create his own shot in the half court and so if we're going to have a guard without the length to be a worthwhile defender I would rather have him be more offensively dangerous than Cook.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#27 » by a8bil » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Have no idea what kind of defender he is / can be, but he is clearly more explosive than Cook and has a more aggressive game. Like what I see so far.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#28 » by Samurai » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:50 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

How do you know? He's played just 200 minutes in the NBA, and his per minute numbers are not all that far from Shaun Livingston's. Way too early to give up on him, let alone declare him "garbage".

Agree that it is too early to just give up on Evans.

After your comment about Livingston, I looked up their numbers: Per 100 possessions, Livingston averaged 12.7/5.8/5.6 last year, as well as 1.5 steals. Evans averaged 9.3/5.8/5.4 and 1.2 steals. Obviously Evans' shooting percentage sucked, but that can happen with such a small sample size. And his shooting did show signs of improvement as the season wore on: he shot a woeful 24% from the field (17% on 3's) before the All Star break but was shooting 43% (33% on 3's) after the break. So with the caveat of very small sample size, statistically his points/rebounds/assists/steals were comparable to Livingston last year. Granted, Shaun didn't exactly set a very high bar this past season, but Evans at least has the potential to improve upon those numbers while we know Shaun's best days, if he returns, is far in the rearview mirror. Maybe playing the point will work for Evans and he can carve out a meaningful role on the team. Getting the extra playing time should help with his confidence and Kerr did say last year that they were working on Evans getting more arc on his admittedly flat shot. Evans himself said that just watching Curry shoot 3's in practice opened his eyes to the value of putting more arc on the ball; if you're going to copy anyone in terms of outside shooting, Curry's not too bad of an example to follow.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 pm

Samurai wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Agree that it is too early to just give up on Evans.

After your comment about Livingston, I looked up their numbers: Per 100 possessions, Livingston averaged 12.7/5.8/5.6 last year, as well as 1.5 steals. Evans averaged 9.3/5.8/5.4 and 1.2 steals. Obviously Evans' shooting percentage sucked, but that can happen with such a small sample size. And his shooting did show signs of improvement as the season wore on: he shot a woeful 24% from the field (17% on 3's) before the All Star break but was shooting 43% (33% on 3's) after the break. So with the caveat of very small sample size, statistically his points/rebounds/assists/steals were comparable to Livingston last year. Granted, Shaun didn't exactly set a very high bar this past season, but Evans at least has the potential to improve upon those numbers while we know Shaun's best days, if he returns, is far in the rearview mirror. Maybe playing the point will work for Evans and he can carve out a meaningful role on the team. Getting the extra playing time should help with his confidence and Kerr did say last year that they were working on Evans getting more arc on his admittedly flat shot. Evans himself said that just watching Curry shoot 3's in practice opened his eyes to the value of putting more arc on the ball; if you're going to copy anyone in terms of outside shooting, Curry's not too bad of an example to follow.

Yes. We all know Evans looked bad with most of his chances early last year, and it seems since then a lot of people are just assuming that was all he was going to do. Early on it was clear he's a smart player and a natural defender, just need to give him some time. We knew coming in Evans needed to do some cleanup on his shot ... this year people are excited for Ky Bowman but he has a bit of a habit on his shot of bringing the ball forward and across his hip before going up ... the NBA defenders will eat that alive, and shot issues usually take a while to adjust. Ideally they would fix those issues in high school or college but coaches don't have the time or the influence to make those changes quite often.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#30 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:36 am

im confident in saying Bowman is better than Cook, better athlete, bigger, better defender, better transition player, better defender, etc.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:59 pm

clyde21 wrote:im confident in saying Bowman is better than Cook, better athlete, bigger, better defender, better transition player, better defender, etc.

Ky's not a good defender, let alone better than Quinn twice. Quinn's a better technical defender, but he's held up by lack of size and athleticism, and Ky's got him there no doubt.

I find it odd there is so much "hate" on Cook who was deep on the Warriors roster.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#32 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:im confident in saying Bowman is better than Cook, better athlete, bigger, better defender, better transition player, better defender, etc.

Ky's not a good defender, let alone better than Quinn twice. Quinn's a better technical defender, but he's held up by lack of size and athleticism, and Ky's got him there no doubt.

I find it odd there is so much "hate" on Cook who was deep on the Warriors roster.

Cook is an absolutely garbage defender who can't even hold his ground vs. smaller PGs, and is a complete non-factor as a playmaker...if he's our backup PG heading into next season, we've failed
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#33 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Cook is an absolutely garbage defender who can't even hold his ground vs. smaller PGs, and is a complete non-factor as a playmaker...if he's our backup PG heading into next season, we've failed

We were all pleased to see Cook avoid handing the ball back to the other team(he did it once against the Rox but immediately stole it back) and dumping his guts on the spot but his being "playable" in the playoffs meant being a stopoff for the ball as it worked its way into a decent shot for someone else.

When I think the team had enough was when he went brain dead and decided to needlessly switch off FVV at the top of the key allowing a wide open 3 and when he literally ran away from the passing lane into the corner where he was covered up causing Draymond to throw it out of bounds. That's the one that really made me crazy, there was only one lane for Draymond to find Cook and Cook was standing in that spot, Draymond saw him and passed it and Cook promptly vacated the spot for the corner and so the ball sailed out of bounds.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,172

Post#34 » by watch1958 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Decent pickup of an undrafted player. I've wanted them to have a guy who could get into the lane. Bowman can do that and shoot threes decently too. His freshman year, when he played less minutes, he was very efficient. High EFG% & TS%.

So now we'll see how they use him and how he develops.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 185

Post#35 » by thunderdunk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:52 am

Samurai wrote:Since Bowman is a PG, I guess that makes it a fight between him and Evans as Curry's primary back-up? I assume Evans has the inside track since he has a guaranteed contract; curious to see how he looks as a PG during summer league. Or since Evans is 6-6, maybe he could be a distributing SF similar to Iguodala, allowing he and Bowman to play at the same time since Bowman shot 39% on 3's for his college career?

Evans will never be a part of the long term plan, IMO. He can't shoot, at all. He is not NBA caliber material. Maybe he stays this year because they need bodies, but that's it, unless he turns into a huge surprise.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#36 » by Ganji » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:07 pm

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/ky-bowman

Strengths: A confident, high volume scorer and tough shot-maker … Frustrates the defense with his ability to score in a variety of ways … Attacks the rim and drills step-back jumpers … Adept ability to create shots off the dribble ... His solid athleticism and ability to be in the right spots attributes to his explosive scoring outputs … Has a knack for rebounding that will translate well in the NBA, averaged 7.5 rebounds this season … Better than average on-ball defender, moves his feet well to stay in front of his opponents … His quick crossover tends to catch defenders off guard … Clutch free throw shooter, with decent career numbers (80% as a sophomore, 76% as a junior) …

Weaknesses: At times, he makes questionable decisions, specifically when it comes to shot selection … Being the only go-to guy on Boston College has resulted in wild shots … Tends to have lapses defensively … Must improve his off-ball defense … At 6’1’’, he may be too undersized to run the point in the NBA … Needs to improve as a playmaker, which will likely happen once he has more shooters surrounding him at the next level … Turned the ball over 2.9 times per game as a junior, needs to value the ball better … Had a worse assist-to-turnover ratio this season than as a sophomore …

Outlook: Although there are concerns if Bowman can effectively run a team at the point in the NBA, he is a talented prospect that can provide scoring in bunches … Likely to be selected in the early to mid second round of the 2019 Draft ...

Notes: Was a highly sought-after football defensive back and wide receiver in highschool and verbally committed to North Carolina … Ultimately decided to play college basketball and decommitted from UNC … Aside from Boston College, he drew interest from Cincinnati, Buffalo and California … Poured in a career high 44 points against Hartford on December 31st …
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#37 » by Kuya » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:51 am

I guess we were super high in him pre draft

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Golden State Warriors