Tank
15%

Total votes: 20

likemycurryhot
Senior
And1: 688

Next Year: Win, Develop, or Tank? 

Post#1 » by likemycurryhot » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Hopefully a straightforward question, what do you think the team approach should be for next year?

1. Compete as hard as possible with the hope of making a significant playoff run. Unleash Steph, invest in a proven vet like Rudy Gay, and bring Klay back as soon as possible. It’s the first year at Chase and setting the right tone is obviously a consideration as the new SF era kicks off. The need to win now is moderated somewhat by the fact that the Dubs have already sold enough season tickets and luxury suites to not have to worry about ticket sales next year. Success also means once again having a low draft position.

2. Focus on developing young talent and don’t worry about win totals and results. This could also mean giving Steph less time through load management and guys like Evans more time even though the results might be ugly at first.

3. Tank. Just go for the gold like we did for Harrison Barnes. This option could mean no Klay the entire year and radically fewer minutes for Steph. Not sure how this would sit with a hyper-competitive dude like Draymond (especially in a contract year) but it would allow for a decent pick in a draft that should have more talent than this year’s.

What do y’all think?
heyrayray
Senior
And1: 535

Re: Next Year: Win, Develop, or Tank? 

Post#2 » by heyrayray » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:29 am

Develop get healthy is what we should do. Our Star players have about 2-3 years left in their prime we need to have the appropriate supporting cast.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#3 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:52 am

Try to win while you develope the young guys.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#4 » by azwfan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:06 am

Mylie10 wrote:Try to win while you develope the young guys.

Yup, and if you're not succeeding at the winning part of that plan by the all star break - start up the tank and merge this thread with Sleepy's TD memorial thread.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#5 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:16 am

Klay and Steph don't rely on athleticism so they should be able to avoid any sort of significant loss of ability as they head into their early 30s. They both need to continue prioritizing strength and conditioning to avoid injury because both predicate their games on maximizing off ball movement. With players like that, wear and tear is cumulative so taking a year off from big minutes in the RS and playoffs should add time to the back end of their careers. I would hope Steph plays the fewest mpg of his career this coming season, not including the 2011-12 season.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#6 » by Coxy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:19 am

Win, of course.
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#7 » by Dom801e » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:01 am

If KD stays, develop the young guys while trying to win.

If KD leaves, trade Green and Iguodala. Rest Steph a lot and develop the young guys while not worrying about winning.
likemycurryhot
Senior

Post#8 » by likemycurryhot » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:39 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:Klay and Steph don't rely on athleticism so they should be able to avoid any sort of significant loss of ability as they head into their early 30s. They both need to continue prioritizing strength and conditioning to avoid injury because both predicate their games on maximizing off ball movement. With players like that, wear and tear is cumulative so taking a year off from big minutes in the RS and playoffs should add time to the back end of their careers. I would hope Steph plays the fewest mpg of his career this coming season, not including the 2011-12 season.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking as well but its also really tempting to want Steph to just say eff it and chuck up an efficient 32/5/6 on about 35 minutes a game.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#9 » by East Bay Sports » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:04 am

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#10 » by The-Power » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:50 am

We have an MVP and a DPOY still in their primes. Of course you try to win, and I hope even raising the question would be taken as an insult by Curry and Green.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:46 pm

The-Power wrote:We have an MVP and a DPOY still in their primes. Of course you try to win, and I hope even raising the question would be taken as an insult by Curry and Green.

Don't disagree......so how high are you willing to go for minutes averages for Curry, Draymond, and Iguodala?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#12 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:23 pm

Have fun....let the rookies play big minutes...hope they excel and the Warriors are still int he playoffs when Klay comes back.

So I took second option. If the rookies suck then yeah....about game 50 it becomes a tank job.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#13 » by The-Power » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:25 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
The-Power wrote:We have an MVP and a DPOY still in their primes. Of course you try to win, and I hope even raising the question would be taken as an insult by Curry and Green.

Don't disagree......so how high are you willing to go for minutes averages for Curry, Draymond, and Iguodala?

I'm not saying playing them into the ground, I'm not talking about 36+ MPG. Just play them their typical minutes, maybe a minute or two higher if that is necessary to create favorable seeding. If that is not enough, so be it, but I don't see a reason to not play them their usual minutes and be as successful as possible.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#14 » by East Bay Sports » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:38 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

no more than usual?
likemycurryhot
Senior

Post#15 » by likemycurryhot » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:47 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

no more than usual?

They could go the Thunder/Westbrook route and just let Steph stat pad on big minutes to keep the fans engaged in lieu of having a championship level team. I don’t see Lacob and co. really doing that but there’s a real chance that next year’s squad could be a little rough.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,893

Post#16 » by Samurai » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:54 pm

If KD stays, then tank for this season and get a lottery pick. This puts us in position to contend for a title in the 20-21 season when Klay and KD return.

If KD leaves, then we need to go in full development mode and figure out how to build out a roster around the Splash brothers. That means we may have to deal Draymond for youth, picks.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,389

Post#17 » by svart » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:43 pm

likemycurryhot wrote:The need to win now is moderated somewhat by the fact that the Dubs have already sold enough season tickets and luxury suites to not have to worry about ticket sales next year.

About that. Watched andre's launching book interview and he said the dubs already sold tickets worth two billion dollars. Watched twice just to be sure. Is that a fact, could it be true?

LE: apparently it's true, with corporate sponsorship and whatnot

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828565-warriors-have-made-2-billion-off-chase-center-tickets-more-before-arena-opens
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:46 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

no more than usual?

Ding ding ding....correct answer.

If we are winning with this philosophy, awesome. If it's going to take pushing them to averages that are increased and some young guys aren't getting the run they should, then I'm out.
Khoee wrote “
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#19 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:41 pm

I don't think we can get playoff seeding without Klay, we just don't have enough scorers. As I have said, we lost against a box and one with Klay out. Dray, Andre, and Cook cannot be 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options on offense. I have no clue who or how we are gonna find enough buckets, Steph would have to work way too hard over an 82 game season.

With that being said, we may be sitting in 9th or 10th seed when Klay gets back and squeeze in at 7th or 8th. From that point we may end up beating the Lakers or Rockets in the first round. I think the Jazz and Nuggets will be tough from a depth perspective and I imagine we face either or. But as long as we have a lineup of Steph, Klay, Andre, Dray, and Looney I think we win the West regardless of seeding.

The East, who knows. Same as it was this past year. Tough, but we probably win with Klay Imo.

Our picks this year don't have great upside, if they can fit into the rotation it's a victory. But I think passing on Bol Bol was a mistake since that's the type of upside you tank in the chase of.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#20 » by wco81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:19 pm

The problem with trying to tank is, what rookie is going to come in and help the core which is in their prime now?

Is there another Lebron in the draft next year? Or another Luka?

Look at the NBA rookies of the year. Lot of good players but it took them a couple of seasons before they became all-star level players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Rookie_of_the_Year_Award

So even if the Warriors won the NBA lottery next year, the guy they get won't be able to be a big prime time player until Curry is like 33 or 34.

We had a good run, now it's just time to enjoy the rest of Curry and Klay's prime. Just look for entertaining basketball and a chance to compete in the playoffs. Anything we get more than that would be gravy.

Return to Golden State Warriors