Looney (re-signed, 3 years, $15M) 

Post#1 » by floppymoose » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:13 am

discuss
Jay 20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Re: Looney 

Post#2 » by Jay 20 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:16 am

He's meeting with Golden State, Chicago and Houston.

If we can resign him, I think we do it no matter what.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,390

Post#3 » by svart » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:29 am

No matter what means nothing. We can't go over the apron by any means if i'm correct, and if he requires a six figures salary per, we're screwed.

i still hope that we can somehow retain him.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,663

Post#4 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:32 pm

Can we do a multi year deal, really back loaded for Kevon ?

I’m not talking ‘Joe Smith’ type contract, but something that fits him in and allows us to save some coin for another player.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#5 » by East Bay Sports » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:35 pm

Coxy wrote:Can we do a multi year deal, really back loaded for Kevon ?

I’m not talking ‘Joe Smith’ type contract, but something that fits him in and allows us to save some coin for another player.

You can only hike a contract by a certain % year to year, so probably not viable. I think its 10% increments.

If S-Dot will retire this week it would help our chances of retaining Looney immensely I feel. Either way he probably has more money on the table from another team.

Maybe a 1+ 1 with a player option is the best bet for all sides? He can start at the 5, be featured a bit on a thin roster and have the chance to opt out and really get paid after a year in the spotlight?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,663

Post#6 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:38 pm

Hopefully the promise of starting as the full time C next season entices.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#7 » by East Bay Sports » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:44 pm

Coxy wrote:Hopefully the promise of starting as the full time C next season entices.

What makes him more money? Taking a 3-4 year deal for ~10m per this year or taking what we can offer (6m? 7m? no idea to be honest) and trying to average 13/8/3 with a block and a steal? I think he could get Julius Randle type money if he could put up that stat line on a 4 seed next year. Ball is in his court. I'm excited to see his growth next year be it with us or with a new team and a fatter bank account.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 448

Post#8 » by superunknown » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:02 pm

Coxy wrote: but something that fits him in and allows us to save some coin for another player.

can this be possible?
I mean, retain kevon plus adding a decent wing?
because, right now, the wing is a big hole in the roster. as much as kevon back is needed, a bloody wing is more needed now that iggy is also gone.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#9 » by The-Power » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:51 pm

superunknown wrote:
Coxy wrote: but something that fits him in and allows us to save some coin for another player.

can this be possible?
I mean, retain kevon plus adding a decent wing?
because, right now, the wing is a big hole in the roster. as much as kevon back is needed, a bloody wing is more needed now that iggy is also gone.

No, after Looney it would only be minimum guys most certainly. But we absolutely need a big who we can trust. Who do we have in that department at this point? I'd much rather take Looney and look for an athletic undrafted wing than going the route you seem to prefer.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#10 » by donkeylips » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:30 pm

I’m hoping the warriors resign looney and then get vet wings on the minimum like chandler, brewer, carter and shumpert
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
likemycurryhot
Senior
And1: 688

Post#11 » by likemycurryhot » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:44 pm

This is where a guy like Morey can really stick the knife in by giving Levon an inflated offer that we simply can’t match now that we’re up against the hard cap. What a crazy turn of events where we could wind up with DLo and Houston has Kevon and Andre. Ugh. I’m sure there’s a bigger plan at work here but I’m not feeling the present moment.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#12 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:03 pm

donkeylips wrote:I’m hoping the warriors resign looney and then get vet wings on the minimum like chandler, brewer, carter and shumpert

Ew, I want nothing to do with any of those 4 guys. That would be horrible.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#13 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:22 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:If S-Dot will retire this week it would help our chances of retaining Looney immensely I feel. Either way he probably has more money on the table from another team.

Why would Livingston being cut help with salary? Are the Warriors not over the salary cap?

We have Looney's Bird rights so can't the Warriors match any offers for Looney?

What we could do with Livingston is pick up his option and combine him with draft picks and cash in a trade for another player.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#14 » by marthafokker » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:35 pm

likemycurryhot wrote:This is where a guy like Morey can really stick the knife in by giving Levon an inflated offer that we simply can’t match now that we’re up against the hard cap. What a crazy turn of events where we could wind up with DLo and Houston has Kevon and Andre. Ugh. I’m sure there’s a bigger plan at work here but I’m not feeling the present moment.

What money is Morey getting from? He is over the cap already. And just resigned House.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#15 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:37 pm

The-Power wrote:No, after Looney it would only be minimum guys most certainly.

After using Bird rights to match offers to Looney, don't the Warriors still have a taxpayer MLE to use?

Last year the tax payer MLE got us Cousins.
likemycurryhot
Senior

Post#16 » by likemycurryhot » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:52 pm

marthafokker wrote:
likemycurryhot wrote:This is where a guy like Morey can really stick the knife in by giving Levon an inflated offer that we simply can’t match now that we’re up against the hard cap. What a crazy turn of events where we could wind up with DLo and Houston has Kevon and Andre. Ugh. I’m sure there’s a bigger plan at work here but I’m not feeling the present moment.

What money is Morey getting from? He is over the cap already. And just resigned House.

I believe they can offer him their MLE which is worth between $5-9M.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#17 » by statsman » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:05 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
The-Power wrote:No, after Looney it would only be minimum guys most certainly.

After using Bird rights to match offers to Looney, don't the Warriors still have a taxpayer MLE to use?

Last year the tax payer MLE got us Cousins.

The hard cap will prevent the Warriors from using the taxpayer MLE and likely not be able offer Looney more than $5M, assuming Myers can shave some more salary from the roster.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#18 » by marthafokker » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:11 pm

likemycurryhot wrote:
marthafokker wrote:

Then that is not over paying. GSW can work with those numbers if Looney wants a starting job.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
likemycurryhot
Senior

Post#19 » by likemycurryhot » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:10 pm

marthafokker wrote:
likemycurryhot wrote:
marthafokker wrote:

Then that is not over paying. GSW can work with those numbers if Looney wants a starting job.

It may not be overpaying relative to his worth on the open market (though what that value is remains to be seen) but if the Rockets offer him $9M, that eats up half of our remaining cap space. I'm not saying that he's not worth in a vacuum but in the present context it may be more than the Dubs can afford.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#20 » by xdrta+ » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:12 pm

Looney is gone for sure. I hope he gets a decent payday from someone, Chicago seems interested.

Return to Golden State Warriors