ImageImageImageImageImage

Current Warrior Cap Situation

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Re: Current Warrior Cap Situation 

Post#161 » by likashing » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:48 pm

xdrta+ wrote:Smailagic's deal is official. 4 yr/$6.13M, first two years guaranteed. Robinson III signed his deal 2 days ago, still waiting on confirmation of the terms, reported at 2 yr/minimum, 2nd yr PO.
Read on Twitter

They signed Paschall for 3 years too.

So both Smiley and Paschall will have at least 3 years to develop (like Draymond), which is great.

For McCaw, Bell, and Cook, we only paid min and could not sign them for more than 2 years. It is just not enough time especially when some of these guys are really young.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#162 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Contract details on GRIII

July 9, 2019
Glenn Robinson III signed a 2 year / $3,954,845 contract with the Golden State Warriors, including $3,954,845 guaranteed. In 2019-20, Robinson III will earn a base salary of $1,882,867, while carrying a cap hit of $1,882,867. Includes a 2020 player option.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/glenn-robinson-iii-15392/
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#163 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:21 pm

This is shaping up to be a very interesting season to watch, and there is a big reset coming again next off-season too.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#164 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:33 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:This is shaping up to be a very interesting season to watch, and there is a big reset coming again next off-season too.

I wonder if any Finals team has been turned over so quickly. There are 6 players left from the playoff roster of a month ago, and one won't play until sometime next year.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#165 » by xdrta+ » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 pm

According to Chris Fedor at Cleveland,com, the Warriors turned down an Iguodala for JR Smith trade. Smith had a $15.8M contract, with $4.3 guaranteed but because he signed it under the old CBA (the last one left) the entire contract could be used for salary matching. That means the Warriors could have traded, waived Smith and stretched his guaranteed money, and gained about $10M in room under the hard cap line. They could have used the $9M+ MLE to go after free agents. Instead, they have a $17M trade exception, which expires on July 6, 2020, the first day to sign FAs next summer. I'm not sure it wouldn't have been better to take the Smith deal.
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#166 » by CalGTR » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:53 pm

xdrta+ wrote:According to Chris Fedor at Cleveland,com, the Warriors turned down an Iguodala for JR Smith trade. Smith had a $15.8M contract, with $4.3 guaranteed but because he signed it under the old CBA (the last one left) the entire contract could be used for salary matching. That means the Warriors could have traded, waived Smith and stretched his guaranteed money, and gained about $10M in room under the hard cap line. They could have used the $9M+ MLE to go after free agents. Instead, they have a $17M trade exception, which expires on July 6, 2020, the first day to sign FAs next summer. I'm not sure it wouldn't have been better to take the Smith deal.

Wait, didn't we trade Igoudala taking back zero salary (gaining the trade exception)? If we take Smith's guaranteed money, even if stretched, wouldn't we be in a worse spot under the cap? Perhaps I'm not remembering something important here.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#167 » by Samurai » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:57 pm

xdrta+ wrote:According to Chris Fedor at Cleveland,com, the Warriors turned down an Iguodala for JR Smith trade. Smith had a $15.8M contract, with $4.3 guaranteed but because he signed it under the old CBA (the last one left) the entire contract could be used for salary matching. That means the Warriors could have traded, waived Smith and stretched his guaranteed money, and gained about $10M in room under the hard cap line. They could have used the $9M+ MLE to go after free agents. Instead, they have a $17M trade exception, which expires on July 6, 2020, the first day to sign FAs next summer. I'm not sure it wouldn't have been better to take the Smith deal.

Interesting. I wonder if that is their passive way to say that they are not going all out this year, a year in which Klay will miss a good part of it, but that they wanted the $17M for next off-season when they will go "all in".
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#168 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Don't they also have a trade exception for Livingston as well?

So can they combine both of those and sign someone on 6/30/2020, that is agree to a verbal deal, and then formally sign on 7/6/20 as that trade exception expires?
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#169 » by statsman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 pm

CalGTR wrote:

Wait, didn't we trade Igoudala taking back zero salary (gaining the trade exception)? If we take Smith's guaranteed money, even if stretched, wouldn't we be in a worse spot under the cap? Perhaps I'm not remembering something important here.

Pretty much. That extra $1.4M in stretched salary would have either meant no S&L for DLo, or maybe Looney doesn't re-sign. Getting a vet minimum in place of WCS and GR3 wouldn't have helped enough.
statsman
Analyst

Post#170 » by statsman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:49 pm

wco81 wrote:

So can they combine both of those and sign someone on 6/30/2020, that is agree to a verbal deal, and then formally sign on 7/6/20 as that trade exception expires?

No. Livingston was stretch waived. In addition, TPEs cannot be combined to acquire a single player. Also, a TPE cannot be combined with one or more players to acquire a single player.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#171 » by xdrta+ » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:54 pm

CalGTR wrote:

No, you're right, I was mistaken. I thought we could do it earlier, but wrong, all the way around.
wco81
RealGM

Post#172 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:01 pm

statsman wrote:
wco81 wrote:

No. Livingston was stretch waived. In addition, TPEs cannot be combined to acquire a single player. Also, a TPE cannot be combined with one or more players to acquire a single player.

OK, so they could sign some player with a starting salary up to $17 million next July as long as they officially sign him before the expiration of that TPE?

Or can that $17 million be split between a couple of role players?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#173 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 pm

wco81 wrote:
statsman wrote:
wco81 wrote:Don't they also have a trade exception for Livingston as well?

OK, so they could sign some player with a starting salary up to $17 million next July as long as they officially sign him before the expiration of that TPE?

Can't split it.
statsman
Analyst

Post#174 » by statsman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:41 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
statsman wrote:No. Livingston was stretch waived. In addition, TPEs cannot be combined to acquire a single player. Also, a TPE cannot be combined with one or more players to acquire a single player.

Can't split it.

A TPE can be split up to acquire more than one player.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#175 » by azwfan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:00 pm

statsman wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Can't split it.

A TPE can be split up to acquire more than one player.

And if we use it for a s&t, we're hard capped again... while still needing to resign (or do something with) Draymond.
If we use that TPE, it'll likely be to give another team some cap/tax flexibility while giving us a useful player - and if we're lucky recoupe a draft pick or 2 (even if they're 2nds).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#176 » by OptionZero » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:42 pm

It's pretty early to predict how we'd use the TPE, it doesn't have to be in a sign/trade for a free agent, there may be some contracted player that we want to get.

Although the TPE cannot be combined with another TPE or player, it can be used as part of a larger deal.
Example:
Let's say we wanted to trade DLo to MIN. Dlo makes $30M, next summer the easiest salary match would be Dieng ($18M) and Covington ($12M). Easy peasy.

But what if MIN wants more salary relief? We could agree to a second trade and use the TPE to eat up to $17M in salary, such as, i dunno Jake Layman ($4M) and/or Josh Okoge ($2.5M), or Jarret Culver ($6M). It's a vehicle for taking on salary relief that can be paired with a Dlo trade. I just used those players as an example.

Would also work for say, Aaron Gordon ($18M) and Fultz ($12M) for DLo and use the TPE separately for Fournier ($17M)
wco81
RealGM

Post#177 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Seems like they have to find a way to use it.

Otherwise, if Andre hadn't been traded, the team would have been able to use his $17 million expiring for other assets.
statsman
Analyst

Post#178 » by statsman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:19 am

OptionZero wrote:It's pretty early to predict how we'd use the TPE, it doesn't have to be in a sign/trade for a free agent, there may be some contracted player that we want to get.

Although the TPE cannot be combined with another TPE or player, it can be used as part of a larger deal.
Example:
Let's say we wanted to trade DLo to MIN. Dlo makes $30M, next summer the easiest salary match would be Dieng ($18M) and Covington ($12M). Easy peasy.

But what if MIN wants more salary relief? We could agree to a second trade and use the TPE to eat up to $17M in salary, such as, i dunno Jake Layman ($4M) and/or Josh Okoge ($2.5M), or Jarret Culver ($6M). It's a vehicle for taking on salary relief that can be paired with a Dlo trade. I just used those players as an example.

Would also work for say, Aaron Gordon ($18M) and Fultz ($12M) for DLo and use the TPE separately for Fournier ($17M)

The Warriors wouldn't eat more salary in those trades.

But let's use the example that DLo makes $30M next season, and the trade is for Aaron Gordon ($18M) and Fultz ($12M). What the Warriors could do is acquire Fultz ($12M) using the $17M TPE, then trade DLo ($30M) for Aaron Gordon ($18M).

That would leave $5M on the $17M TPE, set to expire, but then the remainder of the trade would generate a new TPE for $12M for the Warriors and a year to use it. Just an example of how the TPE could be used.
statsman
Analyst

Post#179 » by statsman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:20 am

wco81 wrote:Seems like they have to find a way to use it.

Otherwise, if Andre hadn't been traded, the team would have been able to use his $17 million expiring for other assets.

If Andre hadn't been traded, DLo is not a Warrior unless Draymond was traded for no returning salary or Klay wasn't re-signed.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#180 » by azwfan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:22 am

wco81 wrote:Seems like they have to find a way to use it.

Yeah, we could've paired him with a 1st rd pick or 2 and gotten an impressive young scorer. :blank:
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.

Return to Golden State Warriors