ImageImageImageImageImage

Current Warrior Cap Situation

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Re: Current Warrior Cap Situation 

Post#101 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:52 pm

McKinnie is a solid back end of the rotation guy. But right now he's our starting SF and probably logging 25-30 minutes. It would be nice to get JaMychel on a vet min to at least split time with Zo.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#102 » by CalGTR » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:08 pm

statsman wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
statsman wrote:Well, the Warriors have to do something in terms of reducing team salary, because if they go into the season with a 14 man roster, they will be over the hard cap by at least $20K. WCS' salary is not known, only to be "a bit over" the vet minimum, so it will be more than that.

If they don't move Jones, they may well need a team like the Hawks to take Livingston/2nd/cash.

If they waive and stretch Livingston I believe they'll be under the line. No?

No. I've already accounted for Livingston's stretch waive amount, and if I have, I'm certain the Warriors have.

So, as it stands now, we'll only be able to carry 13 players this season? No room for a 14th player at min? Gotta believe they have a plan to open a 14th spot, but maybe they're counting on the 2-ways to max out their time on the big club. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#103 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:38 pm

statsman wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
statsman wrote:Well, the Warriors have to do something in terms of reducing team salary, because if they go into the season with a 14 man roster, they will be over the hard cap by at least $20K. WCS' salary is not known, only to be "a bit over" the vet minimum, so it will be more than that.

If they don't move Jones, they may well need a team like the Hawks to take Livingston/2nd/cash.

If they waive and stretch Livingston I believe they'll be under the line. No?

No. I've already accounted for Livingston's stretch waive amount, and if I have, I'm certain the Warriors have.

I guess we're working from different numbers. Like you say, we'll have to wait and see what WCS's "a bit over" will be, also whether Poole will get the common 20% over scale that 1st round picks often get. But I still don't see it.

For the unsigned, I'm allowing the rookie minimum (898,310) to Paschalle and Smiley, 5 yr min (1,882,867) to Robinson, WCS (a bit over 2,000,000?), scale (1,637,300) to Poole, 5M to Looney, max (27,285,000) to Russell, max to Thompson (32,742,000), 667,000 for Livingston, 2 yr vet min (1,620,564) for the 14th slot. All other salaries are known for sure. With the Apron at 138,928,000, I'm coming in at about 1M under. I must be missing something.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#104 » by statsman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:47 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
statsman wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:If they waive and stretch Livingston I believe they'll be under the line. No?

I guess we're working from different numbers. Like you say, we'll have to wait and see what WCS's "a bit over" will be, also whether Poole will get the common 20% over scale that 1st round picks often get. But I still don't see it.

For the unsigned, I'm allowing the rookie minimum (898,310) to Paschalle and Smiley, 5 yr min (1,882,867) to Robinson, WCS (a bit over 2,000,000?), scale (1,637,300) to Poole, 5M to Looney, max (27,285,000) to Russell, max to Thompson (32,742,000), 667,000 for Livingston, 2 yr vet min (1,620,564) for the 14th slot. All other salaries are known for sure. With the Apron at 138,928,000, I'm coming in at about 1M under. I must be missing something.

Yeah, you're numbers are a bit off. Poole will get 120% of scale. I've seen no report to indicate otherwise.

WCS' vet minimum is $1,737,145, which is what I am using, so I will be slightly low.

Looney's salary will be estimated at $4,629,630 for a near exact 3/15 (8% raises).

There is also McKinnie at the vet minimum ($1,620,564) or for someone else at the vet minimum.

I think you are missing the latter. The Warriors must have 14 players (not counting two-way players) for most of the season.
statsman
Analyst

Post#105 » by statsman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:50 pm

CalGTR wrote:
statsman wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:If they waive and stretch Livingston I believe they'll be under the line. No?

So, as it stands now, we'll only be able to carry 13 players this season? No room for a 14th player at min? Gotta believe they have a plan to open a 14th spot, but maybe they're counting on the 2-ways to max out their time on the big club. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Teams are required to carry 14 players on the main roster, which is what my point was. With the current roster, something will need to be done.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#106 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:00 pm

statsman wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
statsman wrote:No. I've already accounted for Livingston's stretch waive amount, and if I have, I'm certain the Warriors have.

Yeah, you're numbers are a bit off. Poole will get 120% of scale. I've seen no report to indicate otherwise.

WCS' vet minimum is $1,737,145, which is what I am using, so I will be slightly low.

Looney's salary will be estimated at $4,629,630 for a near exact 3/15 (8% raises).

There is also McKinnie at the vet minimum ($1,620,564) or for someone else at the vet minimum.

I think you are missing the latter. The Warriors must have 14 players (not counting two-way players) for most of the season.

Yeah, you're right, I listed the 14th spot, but didn't add it in. McKinnie's salary is set for the season, though, at 1,588,231 (non-guaranteed). The Warriors could have saved themselves some trouble if they signed Robinson to a 1 year deal. They must have really wanted him to give him that 2nd year PO.
statsman
Analyst

Post#107 » by statsman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:22 pm

The $1,588,231 number for McKinnie is based on last year's known information for a player with one year of experience signing a two year deal.

As far as I know, as a two year vet, he cannot make less than $1,620,564, so I gather this season of that contract will be adjusted upward.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#108 » by Samurai » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:27 pm

statsman wrote:
CalGTR wrote:
statsman wrote:No. I've already accounted for Livingston's stretch waive amount, and if I have, I'm certain the Warriors have.

Teams are required to carry 14 players on the main roster, which is what my point was. With the current roster, something will need to be done.

Since you are the numbers guru, what moves are available for the team to clear this space? Is Jones the most likely?
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#109 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:27 pm

statsman wrote:The $1,588,231 number for McKinnie is based on last year's known information for a player with one year of experience signing a two year deal.

As far as I know, as a two year vet, he cannot make less than $1,620,564, so I gather this season of that contract will be adjusted upward.

Hmm, probably right. We'll know more about a few of the numbers after tomorrow.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#110 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:32 pm

I don't believe they are going to just dump Jones, not yet anyway. They have all summer to fill that 14th spot.
TinoDubs
Junior
And1: 45

Post#111 » by TinoDubs » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:32 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:As it stands if Livingston remains on the team then half the roster has limited to no pro experience.

I would personally rather bring Bogut back than Jones.

Any 3 and D vet is a real victory for this group if we can get one.

I think Lin would be a good vet to get.

Bogut can't come back, at least not until the Australian season is over in March or whenever. He's under contract there and they made it clear he's not getting out of it. Though, after watching him in the playoffs, I'm not sure why anyone would be anxious to have him back, especially for an 82 game season.

And I believe that we cannot ship Dlo until Jan.
statsman
Analyst

Post#112 » by statsman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:35 pm

Samurai wrote:
statsman wrote:
CalGTR wrote:So, as it stands now, we'll only be able to carry 13 players this season? No room for a 14th player at min? Gotta believe they have a plan to open a 14th spot, but maybe they're counting on the 2-ways to max out their time on the big club. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Since you are the numbers guru, what moves are available for the team to clear this space? Is Jones the most likely?

Guru? There are many others on this forum alone that know this stuff better than I do.

Trading Jones or Livingston are probably the two best options.

I haven't checked the CBA lately, but it used to be any league directed suspension where a player sits a game and forfeits salary, 50% of that salary was not considered against the luxury tax. Not sure if that applied to the apron as well, or if it is still in the CBA. If so, a single game suspension for Draymond would do the trick!! LMAO!!
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#113 » by CalGTR » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:02 pm

OK, so here's where I'm confused. Because we have to carry 14 players at least, we're short money no matter what happens to Jones. Cutting him or shipping him off doesn't buy us anything, cap-wise. We have to fill that 14th spot with a $1.6mil slot anyway, right? Are we able to sign rooks for less cash? Obviously, the front office has this all worked out. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#114 » by Warriorfan » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:06 pm

According to this article

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmurray/2019/07/02/in-the-aftermath-of-the-dangelo-russell-deal-the-warriors-bring-back-kevon-looney-for-a-bargain/#7496f6777754

the Warriors have about 5.2 for 3 last spots of min 14.

2 are WCS and Robinson.
3rd vet min
400 k plus suspensions left over.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#115 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jul 6, 2019 12:13 am

statsman wrote:The $1,588,231 number for McKinnie is based on last year's known information for a player with one year of experience signing a two year deal.

Not a big deal, but as close as the Warriors are to the line, every dollar counts. This sounds like it would be applicable to McKinnies contract. From the CBA:

The Minimum Annual Salary Scale applicable to a player is determined by the Salary Cap Year encompassing the first Season covered by the player’s Contract. Accordingly, for example, if the first Season covered by a player’s Contract is the 2018-19 Season, then the Minimum Annual Salary Scale for the 2018-19 Salary Cap Year shall apply for each Season of the Contract.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,271

Post#116 » by wco81 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 12:18 am

xdrta+ wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Bogut can't come back, at least not until the Australian season is over in March or whenever. He's under contract there and they made it clear he's not getting out of it. Though, after watching him in the playoffs, I'm not sure why anyone would be anxious to have him back, especially for an 82 game season.

Ah, I wondered why he was not being mentioned. Well, I would want him because he is better than Jones on the court and probably off the court in terms of veteran leadership. Now if Demarcus wants to come back on the vet minimum then I am all in, we need some 20 point games.

IMO, we have enough centers, with Jones, WCS, Looney, and sometimes Green. I'd rather see a decent SF. Stanley Johnson is still out there, anyone want to take a flyer on him? He's been a disappointment, but he's still only 23 yrs old.

RHJ also.

I guess they're waiting to see if they get better than minimum offers.

Not sure what they're looking for if they have to sign minimum deals.

Maybe a chance to start?

Warriors could offer them that, at least until Klay returns.

They both played in college for Arizona Wildcats. Damn if Iggy was still with the Warriors, maybe he'd have some pull with them.

Otherwise, Stanley played for MaterDei in SoCal and RHJ is from PA. Maybe Stanley would be more inclined to sign with the Lakers, since that would be home.
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#117 » by DaHef » Sat Jul 6, 2019 12:38 am

Does anyone know if a player currently under contract (like Curry) can rework numbers to create some space. Or is a contract sealed off from any changes until it terminates?
statsman
Analyst

Post#118 » by statsman » Sat Jul 6, 2019 12:43 am

xdrta+ wrote:

Not a big deal, but as close as the Warriors are to the line, every dollar counts. This sounds like it would be applicable to McKinnies contract. From the CBA:

The Minimum Annual Salary Scale applicable to a player is determined by the Salary Cap Year encompassing the first Season covered by the player’s Contract. Accordingly, for example, if the first Season covered by a player’s Contract is the 2018-19 Season, then the Minimum Annual Salary Scale for the 2018-19 Salary Cap Year shall apply for each Season of the Contract.

Sounds like the lower number is used for McKinnie, in which case the Warriors are set to be below the apron with a vet min for the 14th roster spot and no other moves.

Odd thing in the Salary Cap FAQ. It has a table allowing for up to five years on a minimum contract, but the minimum player salary exception only allows one or two year contracts. Seems strange to calculate a table that doesn't appear to be usable after Year 2.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q22
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#119 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:20 am

Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley just got released. Like the idea of Bradley taking the tough defensive assignments on guards.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#120 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:30 am

DaHef wrote:Does anyone know if a player currently under contract (like Curry) can rework numbers to create some space. Or is a contract sealed off from any changes until it terminates?

In certain circumstances a contract can be amended (if a team has cap space) but only upwards. Players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create more cap room for the team.

Return to Golden State Warriors