Thugleavy34
Analyst
And1: 300

Re: 2019 Summer League Thread 

Post#181 » by Thugleavy34 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:31 am

clyde21 wrote:
Thugleavy34 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
please tell me specifically what makes Klay a wing and how he can be used as a wing vs. his traditional role on this team, go.

as far as you 'breaking it down for' this is legit the first time i've ever seen a response from you my guy. 'break it down' for me again.

Sorry missed this reply. We engaged in a thread a couple weeks back.

Last post might have seemed a little harsh on my end but I've seen you condescendingly shoot down other people who have quibbled with your definition of a wing.

Basically, wings are the 2 man and 3 man in offenses that utlize a point, wing, wing, setup. Not all offenses use wings but for those that do they use two of them. Klay and Durant have effectively served as wings in the Warriors offense last few years. Before that it was Klay and Barnes.

no, wings are not '2 and 3 men'. that's incorrect. SOME 2s CAN be wings, but not ALL 2s are wings. being a wing or not depends on your role, not just your size. Klay's role almost exclusively with the Warriors has ALWAYS been the off-guard spot up shooter, never the wing, that was always Iggy/Barnes and then Iggy/Durant.

:noway:

You can continue to tell everyone else how wrong they are. Have a good night
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#182 » by Bayside » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:12 am

I am so confused on this thread. I thought the Warriors like a motion offense? What type do they mostly run with traditional PG and SG? Or more specific where the 2 and 3 are not on the wings?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#183 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:40 am

Bayside wrote:I am so confused on this thread. I thought the Warriors like a motion offense? What type do they mostly run with traditional PG and SG? Or more specific where the 2 and 3 are not on the wings?

Just Clyde stuck in his rut.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#184 » by clyde21 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:18 am

Bayside wrote:I am so confused on this thread. I thought the Warriors like a motion offense? What type do they mostly run with traditional PG and SG? Or more specific where the 2 and 3 are not on the wings?

u think the purpose of the wing is just to chill on the w'ings'? :-?
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#185 » by Bayside » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:31 am

I put I was confused to be disarming because I knew I would get some flak from some poster if I didn't. I am actually not confused in the slightest where wing spots are on the floor or about spacing. I was trying to interject that point about offensive strategy and not pigeon hole players around their physical builds in this modern position less motion offense. What exactly do you think a wing is again?
BG
Sixth Man
And1: 458

Post#186 » by BG » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:26 am

god how this board makes me hate the word "wing"...
Warriors!!!
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#187 » by Jstock12 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:40 am

:(
Read on Twitter
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#188 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Jstock12 wrote::(
Read on Twitter

Not exactly summer league news :-?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#189 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Saw a list of top SL performers ... had Evans as the 2nd best SF in the SL. I suppose he CAN play there.

It is increasingly clear the Warriors plan is to throw a lot of players at the position and hope someone steps up to grab the spot.

Burks, Robinson, McKinnie, Evans, Thompson, Paschall, and some people have listed Lee as a possible there also Washburn still a Warrior? ESPN showed Derrickson as a Warrior but he wasn't playing for them and I think his 2-way contract expired.

Nunn looked great in SL ... the Warriors keep letting players go who then show up much better for other teams.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#190 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Burks: Has had major health issues, but if healthy he has good potential.
McKinnie: Hard worker, good rebounder, lateral quickness is going to limit his D. Good guy, good teammate, limited ceiling.
Thompson: ACL, and not a great team defender which the Warriors usually want from this position, but he can shoot and his man D even on players much bigger is good.
Evans: Good team defender, good man defender, high BBIQ, limited offensive game.
Robinson: Injuries, confidence issues, but a ton of un-tapped potential.
Paschall: PJ Tucker is a good model, he's going to have to learn how to get away with physical play.
Washburn: Intriguing prospect, good defense, very raw on offense and probably will never be a good offensive player, but supposedly high BBIQ and a good athlete.
Lee: Seems a medium athlete, can shoot, nothing special.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,893

Post#191 » by Samurai » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Burks: Has had major health issues, but if healthy he has good potential.
McKinnie: Hard worker, good rebounder, lateral quickness is going to limit his D. Good guy, good teammate, limited ceiling.
Thompson: ACL, and not a great team defender which the Warriors usually want from this position, but he can shoot and his man D even on players much bigger is good.
Evans: Good team defender, good man defender, high BBIQ, limited offensive game.
Paschall: PJ Tucker is a good model, he's going to have to learn how to get away with physical play.
Washburn: Intriguing prospect, good defense, very raw on offense and probably will never be a good offensive player, but supposedly high BBIQ and a good athlete.

Obviously Klay will be starting at the 3 once he returns. But if we had some type of science fiction genetic machine, we could create a SF with Burks' shooting, Washburn's defense, McKinnie's rebounding, and GR3's rim finishing and athleticism, we'd have a pretty good player!!
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#192 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:36 pm

Samurai wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:Burks: Has had major health issues, but if healthy he has good potential.

Obviously Klay will be starting at the 3 once he returns. But if we had some type of science fiction genetic machine, we could create a SF with Burks' shooting, Washburn's defense, McKinnie's rebounding, and GR3's rim finishing and athleticism, we'd have a pretty good player!!

I think that player is named Kevin
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#193 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:06 am

What we're really missing right now is a 6'9" small forward shooter/scorer/defender with a huge wingspan.

Guess what?........everybody is looking for those guys.

Hopefully one falls in our lap.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#194 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:20 pm

Mylie10 wrote:What we're really missing right now is a 6'9" small forward shooter/scorer/defender with a huge wingspan.

6'6" is tall enough to get by if they are skilled enough. Kawhi and Iguodala are 6'6" and more than functional ... not that height isn't nice we should just not get fixated on it.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#195 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:05 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:What we're really missing right now is a 6'9" small forward shooter/scorer/defender with a huge wingspan.

6'6" is tall enough to get by if they are skilled enough. Kawhi and Iguodala are 6'6" and more than functional ... not that height isn't nice we should just not get fixated on it.

I wished the Ws used one of the 2-way contracts to sign a player like Davon Reed. He's 6'6" with a 7 foot wingspan. Was there any flaws you guys saw in his game other than an offensive game that might be streaky? He looked like the best defender on the team during the tournament.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#196 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:51 pm

killmongrel wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

I wished the Ws used one of the 2-way contracts to sign a player like Davon Reed. He's 6'6" with a 7 foot wingspan. Was there any flaws you guys saw in his game other than an offensive game that might be streaky? He looked like the best defender on the team during the tournament.

I liked him. As far as I know he doesn't have an NBA contract right now and the Warriors have no players signed on 2-way deals.

I expect the Warriors to invite a LOT of players to camp and for them to keep at least 1 of those 2-ways open for that.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,893

Post#197 » by Samurai » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:14 pm

killmongrel wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

My observation from SL games is that he seemed passive on offense - at times seemed afraid to shoot and could not create his own shot. Of course, if you can't shoot well (he only shot 36% from the field in SL) then being afraid to shoot isn't necessarily the worst thing, but last season our second unit had too many guys that had trouble scoring. Only averaged 3 boards/game in over 20 minutes/game, so he won't help much on the glass which is where we could use more instead of less help. As a defensive SF, I thought Washburn provided similar defense while being able to shoot a little better but obviously the front office didn't share that opinion.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#198 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:15 pm

Samurai wrote:My observation from SL games is that he seemed passive on offense - at times seemed afraid to shoot and could not create his own shot. Of course, if you can't shoot well (he only shot 36% from the field in SL) then being afraid to shoot isn't necessarily the worst thing, but last season our second unit had too many guys that had trouble scoring. Only averaged 3 boards/game in over 20 minutes/game, so he won't help much on the glass which is where we could use more instead of less help. As a defensive SF, I thought Washburn provided similar defense while being able to shoot a little better but obviously the front office didn't share that opinion.

Agreed, the Warriors have been lacking in aggression off the bench for a while now. Poole, Paschall, and if he comes Bowman should change that.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#199 » by HiRez » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:41 am

Scoots1994 wrote:Agreed, the Warriors have been lacking in aggression off the bench for a while now. Poole, Paschall, and if he comes Bowman should change that.

Bowman apparently was officially signed to a two way contract. I think that leaves us with one more?
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#200 » by The-Power » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:05 am

Meh. Why exactly did we sign Bowman? He was terrible in SL and does not address our most important need – size and defense at the wing.

Return to Golden State Warriors