ImageImageImageImageImage

Is anybody else loving this outcome?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Re: Is anybody else loving this outcome? 

Post#21 » by bballguy50 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:39 pm

Satisfied that he didn't go to LAL, there's no way LBJ/AD go on a deep run in the playoffs with the roster they currently have. And I don't see them acquiring any pieces that move the needle in that regard either.

Clips are even tougher now. If they can retain Zubac and Green on the bench, they would solidify their depth even further.

Assuming Kawhi and PG stay healthy, I don't see how you could say they're not favorites to win it all next season.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#22 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:32 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Kids don't want to play in LebronLand lol.

Is Westbrook a Knick yet?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
”
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#23 » by Samurai » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:32 pm

No, not "loving" it since my scenario had Kawhi coming here for the vet minimum, Myers promises to retire his number and Lacob order his statue to be built before the regular season begins. THAT was my "love it" scenario!

Also don't love it because no way in the world does our front court match-up with the Clippers. Or the Lakers - we don't have Iggy to guard LeBron and we have no one who can dream of guarding AD. The level of competitiveness in the West is unreal. Come on Myers; prove you are "light years" ahead and make that trade for Giannis!
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#24 » by likashing » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:42 pm

With the Lakers giving out 2 year guaranteed deals, their cap space next summer is basically gone (less than $10m). The threat of “Draymond joining LeBron Inc with the Lakers next summer” is gone.

Of course they can still force a trade if they want, or unload salary next summer, but as we know it takes assets and picks to unload salary.

With LeBron aka Klutch allowing the Lakers to make moves and exhaust next summer’s cap room, my meter of “Draymond accepting the $100m/4 extension” has ticked a little bit up.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#25 » by donkeylips » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:49 pm

They just got cousins
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#26 » by Samurai » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:00 pm

donkeylips wrote:They just got cousins

So they have both Cook and Cousins. Glad Cook got paid; he couldn't get that here. And I think Cousins could do fairly well; the farther away he gets from the injury, the better his conditioning should be.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#27 » by HiRez » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:05 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Kuya wrote:
killmongrel wrote: I think so too, but we're one solid sf being bought out away from being legitimate championship favorites.

The SF that will elevate this team is Smailagic

I have high hopes for Eric Paschall being able to match up against these elite forwards

In 3 years? You know how it works in the playoffs, Kawhi and PG against a couple of rookies? They will foul them out in 5 minutes no matter how talented they are or are not. Right now we are not getting past the Clippers as both teams are currently constructed, and we may well face them in the first round of the playoffs as 1-8 or 2-7.
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#28 » by CalGTR » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:38 pm

Samurai wrote:No, not "loving" it since my scenario had Kawhi coming here for the vet minimum, Myers promises to retire his number and Lacob order his statue to be built before the regular season begins. THAT was my "love it" scenario!

Also don't love it because no way in the world does our front court match-up with the Clippers. Or the Lakers - we don't have Iggy to guard LeBron and we have no one who can dream of guarding AD. The level of competitiveness in the West is unreal. Come on Myers; prove you are "light years" ahead and make that trade for Giannis!

IF a deal for Giannis happens, it will have to wait until he gets closer to free agency. So, while I have no doubt that our front office is dreaming of ways to bring him on board, it won't be this year. D-Lo may well play into that scenario (if we hadn't brought him and his max salary slot on board acquiring Giannis or any other big-time player would be impossible without giving up Steph or Klay). Of course, there's a little hurdle of Giannis deciding that he wants to play with the W's, but hey, we can dream.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#29 » by BW32 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:06 pm

likashing wrote:With the Lakers giving out 2 year guaranteed deals, their cap space next summer is basically gone (less than $10m). The threat of “Draymond joining LeBron Inc with the Lakers next summer” is gone.

Of course they can still force a trade if they want, or unload salary next summer, but as we know it takes assets and picks to unload salary.

With LeBron aka Klutch allowing the Lakers to make moves and exhaust next summer’s cap room, my meter of “Draymond accepting the $100m/4 extension” has ticked a little bit up.

The real threat has always been the Blazers IMO, they literally have a one year spending window before the supermax kicks in for Dame so they must get someone next offseason and Draymond is clearly the best guy for them (assuming AD is never really available).
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#30 » by HiRez » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:12 pm

Same as with the Warriors last year, Cousins may or may not be the best fit and we don’t know how good he’ll be but at that price you can’t really go wrong, you have to give it a shot. Won’t find better talent for anywhere near that price.

Lakers botched Kawhi (they should have gotten Kemba or even DLo but they got greedy and got burned), but they’re still going to be damned good, I wouldn’t dance on their grave just yet.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#31 » by Samurai » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:13 pm

CalGTR wrote:
Samurai wrote:No, not "loving" it since my scenario had Kawhi coming here for the vet minimum, Myers promises to retire his number and Lacob order his statue to be built before the regular season begins. THAT was my "love it" scenario!

IF a deal for Giannis happens, it will have to wait until he gets closer to free agency. So, while I have no doubt that our front office is dreaming of ways to bring him on board, it won't be this year. D-Lo may well play into that scenario (if we hadn't brought him and his max salary slot on board acquiring Giannis or any other big-time player would be impossible without giving up Steph or Klay). Of course, there's a little hurdle of Giannis deciding that he wants to play with the W's, but hey, we can dream.

IF something like that were to happen it is more likely a 2021 scenario than a 2020 one. On the hopeful side, Curry and Giannis are buddies and both are represented by the same agency. They seem to share a mutual admiration as each one selected the other with the first pick when each were All Star captains. At least one can dream, but I do suspect that Meyers is planning to use DLo as a chip for another max player. May or may not be for a supermax like Giannis, but I don't think DLo is the endgame.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#32 » by likashing » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:19 pm

BW32 wrote:
likashing wrote:With the Lakers giving out 2 year guaranteed deals, their cap space next summer is basically gone (less than $10m). The threat of “Draymond joining LeBron Inc with the Lakers next summer” is gone.

The real threat has always been the Blazers IMO, they literally have a one year spending window before the supermax kicks in for Dame so they must get someone next offseason and Draymond is clearly the best guy for them (assuming AD is never really available).

Well there will always be teams with cap. Just saying the Lakers and LeBron Klutch threat are gone.

Re: Portland with Allen gone no one knows how determined and how deep in lux tax they want to get in. Being a small market etc. I can’t imagine Draymond residing in a city like Portland either.

Anyway, one threat down re: Lakers, but yes there will always be teams with cap.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#33 » by thunderdunk » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:39 pm

Both Clips and Lakers look very good to me next year. Dubs need to add a solid defender to replace Iggy. I'd like to think that the Dubs can contend next year, but I think they're more likely to contend the year after, esp if they can trade DLo for a better 3 or 5 after Klay returns. This upcoming season both Steph and Dray are going to run out of gas, unless they spend the next three months resting in an isolation tank or something. DLo will help take some of the pressure off, but I still think that the run will have to come in 2020-2021. I'm just REALLY happy the Lakers didn't get Kawhi. Otherwise, it would have been game over for the next 3 or 4 years. This upcoming season, the West will be wild. Can't wait to watch it.
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#34 » by maternal85 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:14 am

killmongrel wrote:Warriors have a chance to be the favorites again if they make the right moves in the summer of 2020. Don't get me wrong, I think they have the chance to compete this season, but what just occurred makes it's easier for the Warriors' dynasty to continue.

Also, it's funny seeing Raptor fans getting salty that their team is a year or two from being a lottery team. They probably thought they could have a dynasty.

Dynasty ? Salty ? You're making things up. Raptors won a chip based on an organic team, built from the scratch with good trades, and player development. Some championship are worth more than others. 3-1 get the drift ?
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#35 » by michaelm » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:10 am

maternal85 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Warriors have a chance to be the favorites again if they make the right moves in the summer of 2020. Don't get me wrong, I think they have the chance to compete this season, but what just occurred makes it's easier for the Warriors' dynasty to continue.

Also, it's funny seeing Raptor fans getting salty that their team is a year or two from being a lottery team. They probably thought they could have a dynasty.

Dynasty ? Salty ? You're making things up. Raptors won a chip based on an organic team, built from the scratch with good trades, and player development. Some championship are worth more than others. 3-1 get the drift ?

Yes, GSW also won a title with a totally organically built team without acquiring a top 3 or top 1 player in the NBA who forced his way out of a contract. Don’t make me laugh given you are a Toronto fan by claiming that GSW only won the first title because of injuries
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#36 » by statsman » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:00 pm

Not really. I'm not looking forward to the 24/7 media coverage of the LA teams' rivalry.

Outside of Zion and the earthquakes, it's already happening.

Can't wait for the angry fanbases to start wishing for injury on star players for both the Clippers and the Lakers. It's already happening. Heck, it's already happening between fans of the LA teams. It's going to make the Raptors' fans cheering of Durant's injury in the finals seem like a nice gesture.
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#37 » by maternal85 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:51 pm

statsman wrote:Not really. I'm not looking forward to the 24/7 media coverage of the LA teams' rivalry.

Outside of Zion and the earthquakes, it's already happening.

Can't wait for the angry fanbases to start wishing for injury on star players for both the Clippers and the Lakers. It's already happening. Heck, it's already happening between fans of the LA teams. It's going to make the Raptors' fans cheering of Durant's injury in the finals seem like a nice gesture.

Neither the clippers or Lakers will have players go down with serious injuries. Neither team run their organization as a plantation or treat their players as slaves. In short they don't force their players to play if they're injured.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#38 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:02 pm

The Lakers roster is nothing short of a disaster. We can just sit around and wait for them to implode. Wish Kawhi would have stayed in Toronto though. The west is so stacked right now.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
BayWarrior
Bench Warmer
And1: 688

Post#39 » by BayWarrior » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:15 pm

michaelm wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

Yes, GSW also won a title with a totally organically built team without acquiring a top 3 or top 1 player in the NBA who forced his way out of a contract. Don’t make me laugh given you are a Toronto fan by claiming that GSW only won the first title because of injuries

And yes 3 wins are better than 1 win with the window still open after losing a top 3 player, finals MVP and Klay for 1/2 a season. But I'm sure you are satisfied with the "organic" team returning to mediocrity... get the drift?
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#40 » by BW32 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:18 pm

maternal85 wrote:

There was literally a "can the Raptors be a dinasty" thread on the GB before the finals were even over, he's not making anything up.

Return to Golden State Warriors