Klay Overpay S&T if healthy

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Klay Overpay S&T if healthy 

Post#1 » by Warriorfan » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:52 pm

Morning discussion

Seeing how much OKC got for PG would you have trade Kay for a similar package.

I think PG is a bit better than Klay. Top 10 vs top 15.

So 4 1st

3 pick swaps . Gallo cap relief, and Alexander young combo guard
Cap space maybe you keep Cousins for around MLE.

Dome wings are still on the market.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Re: Klay Overpay 

Post#2 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:13 pm

Klay was a FA, how would you trade him?
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#3 » by watch1958 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:20 pm

Klay hurt, how would you get that much?

Also, Kawhi wanted PG or else he wasn't going to the Clips. So the Clips had to cough up, or else watch LBJ, AD, and Kawhi together on the Lakers.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#4 » by Left*My*Heart » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:44 pm

So when Butler and George where shopped around the time beforehand, the Warriors turned down Klay for them. I think it’s a shame how good Klay is, but doesn’t get the credit on here. The guy hung 30 in 3 quarters on Leonard primarily, in game 6, on the highest stage in the world. When did either of those guys do that? It’s a team game, but had that acl held up, there was no way we were losing that game.

Just the idea that Klay was overpaid is BS. He should have been a max superstar. Warriors FO got a discount and Klay got screwed.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,386

Post#5 » by svart » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:48 pm

You can’t overpay for Klay.

One of the best shooters all time, excellent defender, clutch, easy to play with.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,276

Post#6 » by CS707 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:41 pm

I like rooting for our guys too.

Seeing Iggy in another uniform is bad enough. Klay would kill me.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#7 » by HiRez » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:20 pm

I’m OK with paying him max, super max would have been tough to swallow especially when you figure in the luxury repeater tax hits, then you can start expressing his cost in partial billion $s.

Yes, he’s a true Warrior and I’m glad we have him but considering he’s missing most of a year and may be diminished afterwards, it’s a risk for the Warriors too.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#8 » by Coxy » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:59 pm

Good idea, KD leaves and Klay get's injured for a while, so let's forget about Klay's hall of fame contribution to the team and trade him in his prime for whatever. That would send out a great message to the NBA, come here and win us titles, but as soon as you get hurt and the team goes for a reboot, we're trading your ass for a whatever the **** it turns out to be return in the distant future.

No. Steph and Klay are the all-time back court duo and we stick by them in rough times, unlike fairweather fans that don't give a crap about the human aspect of the business.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#9 » by Quazza » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:26 am

I want Klay to retire a Warrior.
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#10 » by likashing » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:46 am

Players talk. Agents and management talk. They just don’t admit it.

With Klay’s Lakers and LA background, I wouldn’t be surprised if LeBron asked Klay to join, or Magic/Buss trying the get Klay’s dad to get Klay join, or Kawhi asking Klay to see if he would join Jerry West and the Clippers, or Jerry West talking to Klay’s dad.

It’s a big business, with huge money and big egos and powerful people in this society. A zillion conversations happen and we only know about the final results, and only maybe 5-10% of the conversations leak out as “rumors”.

We have to pay (or overpay) because we think Klay actually would consider leaving for $140m/4 if we didn’t give him $190m/5. So that’s what it cost.

Do I want him to just take $140m/4 or $170m/5 from us? Sure. But I am sure Myers has felt the pulse on Klay and around the league to know what it took to retain Klay.

And there was no question on whether we should retain Klay. The only question was the cost. Whether Klay would just take from us what 29 other competitors could offer him. Or he would take more than that and up to the absolute max the league allows us to pay him.

That was more like a home town surcharge/bonus than the market rate max.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#11 » by lars_rosenberg » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:44 am

watch1958 wrote:Klay hurt, how would you get that much?

Also, Kawhi wanted PG or else he wasn't going to the Clips. So the Clips had to cough up, or else watch LBJ, AD, and Kawhi together on the Lakers.
According to rumor, PG was also ok to join Kawhi in Toronto, but Masai wasn't able to beat Clippers offer.

Return to Golden State Warriors