ImageImageImageImageImage

Hypothetically, lests say the Warriors don't do well and get a lotto pick. Who you guys like?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Hypothetically, lests say the Warriors don't do well and get a lotto pick. Who you guys like? 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:23 pm

I don't follow college basketball much, but who should the Warriors draft to become the next super star?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Hypothetically, lests say the Warriors don't do well and get a lotto pick. Who you guys like? 

Post#2 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:26 am

Wiseman......dude is the next big thing.

Here’s my first post on Wiseman. But not the first time I saw him as the guy.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
killmongrel
Veteran

Re: Hypothetically, lests say the Warriors don't do well and get a lotto pick. Who you guys like? 

Post#3 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:34 am

Mylie10 wrote:Wiseman......dude is the next big thing.
You think we should go for a center?
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#4 » by azwfan » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:51 am

Anything but a wing!
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#5 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:17 am

killmongrel wrote:

Dudes hands down gonna be the number one pick. You don't pass on him be ause you don't need a center.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#6 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:18 am

Mylie10 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Dudes hands down gonna be the number one pick. You don't pass on him be ause you don't need a center.
Cool. Thanks for the insight.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#7 » by HiRez » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:33 am

Unless they can get a Zion level can’t miss stud, I say package the pick in a trade. We got enough really young guys and Steph, Klay, and Draymond aren’t getting any younger.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#8 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:37 am

HiRez wrote:Unless they can get a Zion level can’t miss stud, I say package the pick in a trade. We got enough really young guys and Steph, Klay, and Draymond aren’t getting any younger.

I like this idea as well.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#9 » by azwfan » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:27 am

HiRez wrote:Unless they can get a Zion level can’t miss stud, I say package the pick in a trade. We got enough really young guys and Steph, Klay, and Draymond aren’t getting any younger.

"Package the pick" is kind of vague. I want us to build a young core in addition to having the aging championship core. Perhaps getting playoff experience will allow these youngsters to develop faster, and better than they would otherwise. Seems to me that would be done well with a lottery pick + Dlo + 3 champs + Looney. We can use the 17M TPE to get us some bench help.

Curry, Klay, and Draymond weren't can't miss. And neither were the newest super duo of Kawhi / George.

If we can develop a young core to build up while the current core fades, we just may be able to build an even more impressive long term run. Sure this new youngster may end up being Harrison Barnes, or worse... but i so quickly look to trade it if its not seen as the "next big thing".

Anyways, its all moot as next year we're making the playoffs and winning the title. Myers is gonna have to earn his salary by finding our next core with mid- to late 20's draft picks and crafty trades / free agency moves.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:02 am

Mylie10 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

meh, there's no clear #1 overall guy for next year
clyde21
RealGM

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:03 am

no, 1st rounders are the lifeblood of long term success, unless we get a young stud in return, you keep it.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:04 am

unfortunately next year's draft class seems really shallow/bad on the wings, but things could change.

these are the guys that I have my eye on right now for the Warriors:

Scottie Lewis (SF)
R.J. Hampton (combo guard)
Quentin Grimes (combo guard)
Ochai Agbaji (SG)
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#13 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:07 am

clyde21 wrote:

no, 1st rounders are the lifeblood of long term success, unless we get a young stud in return, you keep it.
It would have to be a bonafide stud that can contribute right away like a Tatum. But even in the lottery, it's hard to get it right.

Just two years in, Fultz is in the junkyard. And Josh Jackson has already been traded for scraps.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#14 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:08 am

clyde21 wrote:unfortunately next year's draft class seems really shallow/bad on the wings, but things could change.

Scottie Lewis (SF)
Ochai Agbaji (SG)

Where do you think these guys can fall? The Warriors have to go wings, wings, wings.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:10 am

killmongrel wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

It would have to be a bonafide stud that can contribute right away like a Tatum. But even in the lottery, it's hard to get it right.

Just two years in, Fultz is in the junkyard. And Josh Jackson has already been traded for scraps.

so because busts happen you never want to draft new players?

but you're kinda right, i don't trust Myers to make the right pick.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#16 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:11 am

killmongrel wrote:
clyde21 wrote:unfortunately next year's draft class seems really shallow/bad on the wings, but things could change.

Scottie Lewis (SF)
Ochai Agbaji (SG)

Where do you think these guys can fall? The Warriors have to go wings, wings, wings.

this was the perfect draft to load up on wings, and we had 4 opportunities to take one and didn't...which is why i was so pissed...next year's draft is a very meh wing class...i mentioned Scottie who I really like, but it's slim pickings in the 1st round after that if u want a wing.

it's still early tho a lot can change.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#17 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:16 am

clyde21 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Scottie Lewis (SF)
Ochai Agbaji (SG)

this was the perfect draft to load up on wings, and we had 4 opportunities to take one and didn't...which is why i was so pissed...next year's draft is a very meh wing class...i mentioned Scottie who I really like, but it's slim pickings in the 1st round after that if u want a wing.

Which wings? I liked that they took Paschall and Smailagic. One is somebody they think can play right away. The other is a project they think has a high ceiling. I'm unclear on Poole, but have high hopes in him. There's something about the way he moves that makes me believe he will be a good player as long as his shots starts falling. There was always something awkward about how McCaw moved, as well as Evans. But at least it looks like Evans is getting better.

But yeah, trusting Myers in the draft is more sweat-inducing than seeing my grandma using my computer.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#18 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:18 am

killmongrel wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Which wings? I liked that they took Paschall and Smailagic. One is somebody they think can play right away. The other is a project they think has a high ceiling. I'm unclear on Poole, but have high hopes in him. There's something about the way he moves that makes me believe he will be a good player as long as his shots starts falling. There was always something awkward about how McCaw moved, as well as Evans. But at least it looks like Evans is getting better.

But yeah, trusting Myers in the draft is more sweat-inducing than seeing my grandma using my computer.

there were a bunch of wings available, i outlined them in another thread

Iggy Braz was one of them and he just dropped 30/8/2 tonight
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#19 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:28 am

clyde21 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

there were a bunch of wings available, i outlined them in another thread

Iggy Braz was one of them and he just dropped 30/8/2 tonight
I definitely think that if none of these rookies are giving productive minutes this season, especially Evans, then Myers and the scouting department has to be called out.

Getting a small forward was the most important need going into the draft even before knowing KD's decision. But the fact that they had more picks this year than the past couple years and not select one is only forgivable if one of these rookies pan out this year. Otherwise, Myers better have an amazing plan in free agency before the season starts because it is looking grim with our sf rotation.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#20 » by azwfan » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:42 am

killmongrel wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

I actually like what i've seen from Evans this summer. Hope it keeps up... more accurately, hope he can/will play at a similar level with less minutes and against substantially better competition.

Jones... man, i don't want to say i gave up hope... but yeah, i've pretty much given up hope.

Poole looks like he will be able to play in the NBA... how successful - we will see. I don't really like his style much so i'm really hoping he can put up some nice numbers, look good, and we can trade him later for a better fit.

I joke about Smailagic, but i actually do think he's gonna be a really good player for us. May take a year or two, but he appears to have the mental makeup and skills of a very good NBA player.

Paschall looks like he can eat minutes right away. Not sure on his upside, but i wouldn't feel too apprehensive giving him minutes right out of the box.

McCaw wasn't terrible for a 2nd rd pick, about par for the course. and neither was Bell.

I think Myers' bad picks were Jones and Nedovic.

Looney great. Evans, Poole, Smiley, Paschall are all TBD.

I think the primary problem with Myers' drafting is not who he has picked, but where he has been picking. If we have a lottery pick, i have every confidence our team will pick us a good player.

Return to Golden State Warriors