Shams: Warriors sign Alec Burks

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Re: Shams: Warriors sign Alec Burks 

Post#41 » by Bayside » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Commenting on West.
The thing about him is that he throws heaps of darts. Not all of them are bullseye. But then he doesn't go double down on those bad bets. He keeps moving pieces. Maybe that is the cool aid and lack of real evidence. But everywhere he goes, that team strikes gold it seems.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#42 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm

FNQ wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:Jerry West’s tenure here is the most overhyped thing since Magic Randolph.

Just a coincidence that he’s created 2 dynasties, positioned LAC for a 3rd, and helped create MEM’s long sustained success.

Everywhere he goes gets exponentially better.

Larry Riley drafted Steph and Klay. That’s basically the dynasty right there. Don’t know how much West had to do with recruiting KD, all the players and front office seemed to have a part in that. And I’m not trying to poo poo West, he did a great job for us, I just think it’s stupid how this board seems to give him credit for every good move and Myers credit for every bad move. Nobody knows who had the most influence on each move. It could have been some nameless faceless scout. For example, supposedly Kent Lacob is the one that found Smiley and has been the one pushing for him this whole time.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#43 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:39 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
FNQ wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:Jerry West’s tenure here is the most overhyped thing since Magic Randolph.

Just a coincidence that he’s created 2 dynasties, positioned LAC for a 3rd, and helped create MEM’s long sustained success.

Larry Riley drafted Steph and Klay. That’s basically the dynasty right there. Don’t know how much West had to do with recruiting KD, all the players and front office seemed to have a part in that. And I’m not trying to poo poo West, he did a great job for us, I just think it’s stupid how this board seems to give him credit for every good move and Myers credit for every bad move. Nobody knows who had the most influence on each move. It could have been some nameless faceless scout. For example, supposedly Kent Lacob is the one that found Smiley and has been the one pushing for him this whole time.

West was there for Klay, reportedly pounding the table for him. Curry was already here sure, but there was an abrupt shift in draft pick success upon West’s arrival. Gone we’re the days of Udoh, Randolph, Wright, Pietrys, Biedrins.. in come Barnes, Ezeli, Draymond, McCaw and Looney.

I’m again not saying he did everything right or that Myers did anything or everything wrong. But West has made greatness happen at every stop. And when he was here, we went away from these types of signings.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#44 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:43 pm

Bayside wrote:Commenting on West.
The thing about him is that he throws heaps of darts. Not all of them are bullseye. But then he doesn't go double down on those bad bets. He keeps moving pieces. Maybe that is the cool aid and lack of real evidence. But everywhere he goes, that team strikes gold it seems.

I think he’s been there for some bad signings *in retrospect*, but never off the jump. That’s what this is to me, a bad signing from the minute pen hit paper.

In the end it’s just a minimum deal so it’s not going to hamstring us at all. But it’s a type of move we haven’t made in a while.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#45 » by Bayside » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Yes!..We are seeing this a lot lately. Some people have excellent timing riding collective successes. I will throw Kawhi in there as an example. Because he started his career with the Spurs( long running success HOF players etc.), he now gets a lot of credit for that collective success as a finals MVP that is much like AI's. Would have beat the warriors if not injured when a spur? We all know that was game one, but has been rewritten to be much greater than that. Then rides injury on stacked team to defeat our tired injured warriors. Now all the fans of Clips, Raps etc. make outlandish heroic claims. He has put together a long list of accolades and myths. My eye test still doesn't put him close to being in some of these conversations he is discussed in.. And I really don't see him having a long career. The point is, the reverence is coming from the groups he just left and the ones he just joined. like how we revere West. Context is everything and we just don't see all of it for sure.
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#46 » by CalGTR » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:06 pm

The Warriors front office makes decisions via committee. There's no single individual responsible for any particular transaction, although of course the final say goes to Meyers (and even then he has to get buy-in from Lacob). We have very little, if any, idea how much influence even a great like West had in calling the shots. He was on staff as a consultant, not a GM. He was a respected voice at the table, and he provided his input. But so did several others, and the final call was never Wests. So, let's thank him for his valuable service to our squad, but let's not attribute every good thing to him and every questionable thing (the few there are) to the guys that really make the decisions.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#47 » by Quazza » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

FNQ wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
FNQ wrote:

West was there for Klay, reportedly pounding the table for him. Curry was already here sure, but there was an abrupt shift in draft pick success upon West’s arrival. Gone we’re the days of Udoh, Randolph, Wright, Pietrys, Biedrins.. in come Barnes, Ezeli, Draymond, McCaw and Looney.

I’m again not saying he did everything right or that Myers did anything or everything wrong. But West has made greatness happen at every stop. And when he was here, we went away from these types of signings.

From memory wasn't Harrison Barnes a "West guy " ?
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#48 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:08 am

more like Bustison Barnes amirite
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#49 » by Quazza » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:25 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:more like Bustison Barnes amirite

I wanted Drummond

(Ok look maybe i wanted Thomas Robinson first then when he went it was Drum )
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Post#50 » by The-Power » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:03 am

FNQ wrote:but there was an abrupt shift in draft pick success upon West’s arrival. Gone we’re the days of Udoh, Randolph, Wright, Pietrys, Biedrins.. in come Barnes, Ezeli, Draymond, McCaw and Looney.

Just saying, this all also happened upon Myers' arrival. He was not there for the picks you criticize and came right when you identify the start of a shift.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#51 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:37 pm

The top 3 factors in winning over time in the NBA is ownership, ownership, and ownership. The good decisions started the moment Cohan sold.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#52 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Who ends up being the starting small forward/3rd guard until Klay comes back? McKinnie, Robinson, Pascall, Burks, Lee, Poole, Evans,
Great opportunity for these guys.

Hopefully one of them will be a happy surprise.
I trust McKinnie to at least hustle.
Burks gives us one more roll of the dice and we could use a lucky roll.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#53 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Who ends up being the starting small forward/3rd guarduntil Klay comes back? McKinnie, Robinson, Pascall, Burks, Lee, Poole, Evans,

Burks isn't going to start, he's a prototypical 6th man scorer.
McKinnie will start most probably because he knows the system. It's between him and GRIII, but the latter will need some time to gel with the teammates.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#54 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:16 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Who ends up being the starting small forward/3rd guarduntil Klay comes back? McKinnie, Robinson, Pascall, Burks, Lee, Poole, Evans,

GR3 will start.

Return to Golden State Warriors