ImageImageImageImageImage

Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

killmongrel
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 305
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Steph/Evans
DLo/Poole
Klay/Paschall
Green/Spellman
Looney/Smailagic

So let's say this is our team going forward. How do you build around this team next summer to make it a championship team?
azwfan
General Manager
Posts: 8,350
And1: 1,359
Joined: May 21, 2004
     

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#2 » by azwfan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:58 pm

killmongrel wrote:Steph/Evans
DLo/Poole
Klay/Paschall
Green/Spellman
Looney/Smailagic

So let's say this is our team going forward. How do you build around this team next summer to make it a championship team?

Need 2-way role players around Curry, Klay, Draymond, D'Angelo.

If the kids can play offense at an NBA level... teach em how to defend. Evans needs to work continue to work on his shot.

We need a 2-way vet 2/3 and an athletic 7-footer. We got the tax payer MLE, and a $17M TPE to work with in order to get it. I think we can get it done.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
killmongrel
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 305
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#3 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:04 pm

azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Steph/Evans
DLo/Poole
Klay/Paschall
Green/Spellman
Looney/Smailagic

So let's say this is our team going forward. How do you build around this team next summer to make it a championship team?

Need 2-way role players around Curry, Klay, Draymond, D'Angelo.

If the kids can play offense at an NBA level... teach em how to defend. Evans needs to work continue to work on his shot.

We need a 2-way vet 2/3 and an athletic 7-footer. We got the tax payer MLE, and a $17M TPE to work with in order to get it. I think we can get it done.


Agreed with all of this. The rookies, Evans, and Spellman need to pan out to at least be decent role players. If they do so, the Warriors have cheap help that is under their control for the next 3/4 years. Aside from the 17M TPE and MLE, don't the Warriors also have a TPE from Brooklyn? I think using all those can really bolster the team.

Hot take: Andre Iguodala will be back on the team next year as well for the vet. minimum or really team friendly deal.
watch1958
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,206
And1: 271
Joined: Aug 03, 2001

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#4 » by watch1958 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:19 pm

WCS?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
killmongrel
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 305
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#5 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:30 pm

watch1958 wrote:WCS?
I'm talking about next summer if we keep DLo and extend Draymond Green.

WCS has a 2 year deal with the Ws, but the second year is a player option. I would assume WCS would be getting offers from other teams if he does remotely well this season. Robinson has the same deal. If they both suck, Ws are going to need to use some picks to dump their salaries.
Samurai
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,822
And1: 1,637
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
     

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#6 » by Samurai » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:35 pm

azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Steph/Evans
DLo/Poole
Klay/Paschall
Green/Spellman
Looney/Smailagic

So let's say this is our team going forward. How do you build around this team next summer to make it a championship team?

Need 2-way role players around Curry, Klay, Draymond, D'Angelo.

If the kids can play offense at an NBA level... teach em how to defend. Evans needs to work continue to work on his shot.

We need a 2-way vet 2/3 and an athletic 7-footer. We got the tax payer MLE, and a $17M TPE to work with in order to get it. I think we can get it done.

This all makes sense. DLo, specifically his defense, will be the critical piece of whether this can work. He has the physical tools to be a plus defender (6-5 with a 6-10 wingspan), but he needs to prove that he can use those tools productively and whether Ron Adams can improve his positioning and footwork to offset his mediocre lateral quickness.

WCS is providing us with the athletic 7-footer this year and I think he will do well, but he took a pay cut and is only on a one-year contract. If we want him back, can we pay him or do we have limitations on how much of an increase we can pay like we did with Boogie? Or was Boogie's limitation just because we used our MLE on him?
azwfan
General Manager
Posts: 8,350
And1: 1,359
Joined: May 21, 2004
     

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#7 » by azwfan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 pm

killmongrel wrote:
watch1958 wrote:WCS?
I'm talking about next summer if we keep DLo and extend Draymond Green.

WCS has a 2 year deal with the Ws, but the second year is a player option. I would assume WCS would be getting offers from other teams if he does remotely well this season. Robinson has the same deal. If they both suck, Ws are going to need to use some picks to dump their salaries.

I'm guessing WCS opts out unless he has some catastrophic injury or shows he's not an NBA player (which seems unlikely).
Same with GR3.

We can use the taxpayer MLE on WCS if he plays at least as well as McGee. Seems like there may be some decent targets with the TPE.

I thought we had a smaller TPE from the BKN trade (like in the 7M area), but haven't seen it listed anywhere, so i'm not sure. We should also have 2 small TPEs, 1.7 and 1.8M, for sending Graham and Napier packing (or was that a 3-way trade?). Think those are basically worthless unless we release McKinnie.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
killmongrel
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 305
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#8 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:06 pm

A player I would try to take a crack at with the MLE on a multi-year deal is Goran Dragic. He's at the tail end of his career and has injury concerns. I don't know if teams will want to give him a considerable multi-year contract at a significant salary to be their starter. Maybe he takes a discount to be on a championship contending team to come off the bench. This of course is if Evans and Ky Bowman or anybody they draft or put on a two way contract don't look like they're ready or good enough for the role.
xdrta+
Starter
Posts: 2,277
And1: 1,431
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#9 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:30 am

azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
watch1958 wrote:WCS?
I'm talking about next summer if we keep DLo and extend Draymond Green.

WCS has a 2 year deal with the Ws, but the second year is a player option. I would assume WCS would be getting offers from other teams if he does remotely well this season. Robinson has the same deal. If they both suck, Ws are going to need to use some picks to dump their salaries.

I'm guessing WCS opts out unless he has some catastrophic injury or shows he's not an NBA player (which seems unlikely).
Same with GR3.

We can use the taxpayer MLE on WCS if he plays at least as well as McGee. Seems like there may be some decent targets with the TPE.

I thought we had a smaller TPE from the BKN trade (like in the 7M area), but haven't seen it listed anywhere, so i'm not sure. We should also have 2 small TPEs, 1.7 and 1.8M, for sending Graham and Napier packing (or was that a 3-way trade?). Think those are basically worthless unless we release McKinnie.


These are the current Warrior Trade Exceptions:

Trade Exception (Andre Iguodala, expiring 7/7/20) — $17,185,185
Trade Exception (Kevin Durant, expiring 7/7/20) — $869,699
Trade Exception (Shabazz Napier, expiring 7/8/20) — $1,597,100
Trade Exception (Trevon Graham, expiring 7/8/20) — $1,597,100
Trade Exception (Damian Jones, expiring 7/8/20) — $407,257
killmongrel
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 305
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#10 » by killmongrel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:42 am

xdrta+ wrote:
azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote: I'm talking about next summer if we keep DLo and extend Draymond Green.

WCS has a 2 year deal with the Ws, but the second year is a player option. I would assume WCS would be getting offers from other teams if he does remotely well this season. Robinson has the same deal. If they both suck, Ws are going to need to use some picks to dump their salaries.

I'm guessing WCS opts out unless he has some catastrophic injury or shows he's not an NBA player (which seems unlikely).
Same with GR3.

We can use the taxpayer MLE on WCS if he plays at least as well as McGee. Seems like there may be some decent targets with the TPE.

I thought we had a smaller TPE from the BKN trade (like in the 7M area), but haven't seen it listed anywhere, so i'm not sure. We should also have 2 small TPEs, 1.7 and 1.8M, for sending Graham and Napier packing (or was that a 3-way trade?). Think those are basically worthless unless we release McKinnie.


These are the current Warrior Trade Exceptions:

Trade Exception (Andre Iguodala, expiring 7/7/20) — $17,185,185
Trade Exception (Kevin Durant, expiring 7/7/20) — $869,699
Trade Exception (Shabazz Napier, expiring 7/8/20) — $1,597,100
Trade Exception (Trevon Graham, expiring 7/8/20) — $1,597,100
Trade Exception (Damian Jones, expiring 7/8/20) — $407,257
So basically all of those are worthless except the one from the Iguodala trade?
Coxy
RealGM
Posts: 37,623
And1: 8,613
Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Location: Brought to you by the Splash Fam
   

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#11 » by Coxy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:19 am

We need 1 or 2 of the younger guys to become legit NBA players quickly for starters. We need another wing badly.
“Our guys are f*%#ing giants” - Steve Kerr after Game 5 Victory
CalGTR
Junior
Posts: 296
And1: 196
Joined: Dec 10, 2011
     

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#12 » by CalGTR » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:16 am

I think either D'Lo shows that he's willing and able to play at least fairly decent defense or we trade him for a legit 3 and D guy. We've GOT to become at least a good defensive team again to truly contend for more titles. Looney, Dray, Klay, and Steph have shown they can defend together, but we can't have a weak defender at the 2 or 3. If D'Lo commits himself to defense, it could be huge for our future title hopes. Primarily, let's hope he has a solid season so our front office has as many options open to them as possible as far as trades are concerned. I have confidence that the front office hasn't forgotten about the defensive side of the ball.
User avatar
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,577
And1: 2,505
Joined: Jul 05, 2013
     

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#13 » by East Bay Sports » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:36 am

If Klay is healthy then come 2020 we will be contenders with a core of Steph-Klay-Dray-D'Lo-Looney IMHO

call me crazy.
donkeylips
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,664
And1: 582
Joined: Apr 22, 2010

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#14 » by donkeylips » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:54 am

Dlo improves his defense, draymond becomes draymond of 2016 and one of our draft picks becomes a stud
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
azwfan
General Manager
Posts: 8,350
And1: 1,359
Joined: May 21, 2004
     

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#15 » by azwfan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:13 am

donkeylips wrote:Dlo improves his defense, draymond becomes draymond of 2016 and one of our draft picks becomes a stud

Not sure what your definition of a stud is, but if they're giving us Looney-level production, and D'Angelo defends at all, we're raising banners.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Warriors Analyst
Starter
Posts: 2,366
And1: 432
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#16 » by Warriors Analyst » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:23 pm

killmongrel wrote:A player I would try to take a crack at with the MLE on a multi-year deal is Goran Dragic. He's at the tail end of his career and has injury concerns. I don't know if teams will want to give him a considerable multi-year contract at a significant salary to be their starter. Maybe he takes a discount to be on a championship contending team to come off the bench. This of course is if Evans and Ky Bowman or anybody they draft or put on a two way contract don't look like they're ready or good enough for the role.



I really don't understand the appeal of Dragic, even if he were healthy and his prime. Curry and Russell will already take up the majority of the ball-handling duties and Dragic is a small point guard who has never been a plus defender.

I think the biggest need for this team going forward is length and size at the wing position. My single biggest concern with this Warriors roster is that they'll struggle to rebound the ball and will give up lots of second chance points. The Warriors are great in transition, or at least were in their past iterations, and if they can't stops or rebounds, they're going to have spend lots of time in the halfcourt. Spending time in the halfcourt isn't necessarily a bad thing, but its' hard to imagine this team winning lots of games unless they can commit to gang rebounding and defending tough as they did in the MJax days with a roster that wasn't supposed to be particularly good on that side of the ball.
Warriorfan
RealGM
Posts: 11,386
And1: 1,494
Joined: Jun 24, 2001
         

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#17 » by Warriorfan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:14 pm

Usually TPE aren't worth much but maybe somethung can happen. Don't think there will be that many teams looking to unload salary since it won't be the best free agent class if AD stays.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 36,800
And1: 41,947
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#18 » by clyde21 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:19 pm

god damn i hate that lineup, we'd need multiple two-way wings and those guys don't grow on trees, a 6th man that can actually run offense (Evans, really?), more rim protection, more rebounding, more defense in the back court, etc.
killmongrel
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 305
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#19 » by killmongrel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
killmongrel wrote:A player I would try to take a crack at with the MLE on a multi-year deal is Goran Dragic. He's at the tail end of his career and has injury concerns. I don't know if teams will want to give him a considerable multi-year contract at a significant salary to be their starter. Maybe he takes a discount to be on a championship contending team to come off the bench. This of course is if Evans and Ky Bowman or anybody they draft or put on a two way contract don't look like they're ready or good enough for the role.



I really don't understand the appeal of Dragic, even if he were healthy and his prime. Curry and Russell will already take up the majority of the ball-handling duties and Dragic is a small point guard who has never been a plus defender.

I think the biggest need for this team going forward is length and size at the wing position. My single biggest concern with this Warriors roster is that they'll struggle to rebound the ball and will give up lots of second chance points. The Warriors are great in transition, or at least were in their past iterations, and if they can't stops or rebounds, they're going to have spend lots of time in the halfcourt. Spending time in the halfcourt isn't necessarily a bad thing, but its' hard to imagine this team winning lots of games unless they can commit to gang rebounding and defending tough as they did in the MJax days with a roster that wasn't supposed to be particularly good on that side of the ball.
You know, you're probably right. If the team goes forward with DLo, then the team can actually get by with bring a combo guard, etc, onto the team for insurance. Ws would have two all star pgs. As long as Evans or a vet. minimum combo guard looks decent, they should be good.

But what's even a more important move is to probably bring Iguodala back next summer if he's still playing. He might take a team friendly deal or the vet. minimum. And not only does he give the team the defense it'll need, he's also a back up pg. But it's important that the team at least has a roster that can limit his minutes.
killmongrel
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 305
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#20 » by killmongrel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:god damn i hate that lineup, we'd need multiple two-way wings and those guys don't grow on trees, a 6th man that can actually run offense (Evans, really?), more rim protection, more rebounding, more defense in the back court, etc.
It isn't my ideal lineup either, but it isn't bad either. If DLo proves he can play defense, it might actually be a lot better than we imagine. Two ball handlers to the likes of Curry and DLo in the backcourt. Klay is as good of a small forward as we're going to get get in free agency with what we're able to work with if we're not trading DLo or Draymond. As these past couple years have proven, the MLE gets us nothing. Rehab Boogie was a lucky circumstance.

So what else do we have to work with? I'm hoping Iguodala comes back for the vet. minimum. Maybe the TE will get us a player that a team no longer wants. But who the hell fits that mold? Will Barton? Dion Waiters?

As for the center position, I'm just hoping we get a decent one in free ageny for the vet. minimum like usual to fill in for minutes before Looney and Green clean up. But I also have hope for Spellman and Smailagic developing into contributing 5s.

But yeah, we still need depth at the small forward position. I think we can land a solid bench player, this team is a championship contender.

Return to Golden State Warriors